/agdg/ - Amateur Game Development General

Space Collab Jam!
Last two weeks of July
Teams announced and jam starts July 14
Info for participating:
pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC
youtube.com/watch?v=Qskg3LsTTNw
youtube.com/watch?v=x7Tjja5KHlY
zillo7.itch.io/tier-1
clyp.it/ghriajia
pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for anime

>Does design drafting count as progress
No.

It's only for the kids. Engine deving is still the go-to for grown-ups who actually want to make a job out of this and/or have pride in their work.

Thnx.

Reminder that diversity is weakness. Do not fall for the meme. Stay on the path of 1MA.

>don't eat all your candies at once, devs

>I can make it on my own, I just need to push myself a little harder

baka

I'm just focusing on gameplay and using stock assets. When I get the gameplay solid I'll beg for decent assets.

I'm going to make Pro-diversity ads now.
Hopefully I'll get a couple (you)s.

>decide to try 2D after using only UE4 for an year
>open up Love2D wiki
>start writing fucked up lua code (who the hell decided this language is good for a game engine)
>realize half of the wiki is deprecated

FOR WHAT FUCKING REASON IS IT STILL IN THE MAIN WIKI THEN FUCKING DAMMIT

Keep the emails coming to me at [email protected] answering the questions in the pastebin. we are up to ten participants now.

lua is garbage
it's also resource hungry af

Got the enemies to shoot back at the player.
No collision detection yet.

Currently working on an asteroid model and then look at allowing the enemies to take more than one hit.

I do enjoy the early stages of game devving, you seem to accomplish so much in so little amount of time.

If you have suggestions for a free 2D game engine I'm listening.

What color is a speed boost?
I'm thinking electric blue.

I'm excited too my friend, but you'll wear out posting about it every thread for a month and a half. You could work on simplifying pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

progress report inbound
seen in webm related is the alpha version of a timer I was working on
in the next one I shall show the improvements I have made (and list functionality improvements)

Thanks for starting the jam in July. I'm busy all of June, so no time to do any real gamdevvin.

try monogame

>4444444
just FYI 000+ are the only "gets" that exist on Veeky Forums, every other number doesn't.

so as you can see it now displays in minutes:seconds and not just seconds, it also takes up less lines of code than the original and more importantly ends when it's supposed to (not seen, in the alpha, it would go to -1 seconds before ending, not just 0)

gradient from red to orange (red near character, orange on the other side) assuming it's using a trail, if you menat like, an icon colour, I'd say some kind of electric red or orange.

sorry, i just wanted to post it once in this thread since the emails have stopped. ill leave it for now

love2d is shit
use libgdx or monogame or haxeflixel
better yet just use game maker

What're you going to do with all those socks, skirts, and undies?

roll

the character is a trap...

Can anyone think of any reason this script wouldnt be triggering

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other)
{
if (other == player)
{
nav.enabled = true;
inRange = true;
}

nav is the navmesh agent, player is the player's capsule collider.

no big deal, I think having it in the OP and maybe posting around ~300, 400 posts would be fine. Thanks again for doing this!

So the faggot's going to make a noose out of them? Good.

How the fuck would we know retard you didn't even tell us what engine you're using

ok will do, i want to make sure that anyone coming in has a chance to notice it without being pushy or annoying and spamming it over and over again.

Try doing a debug log first to see if it's actually detecting the other collider.

As if it wasn't obvious, I'm using unity.

they're into women, no faggots here mr /pol/

youtube.com/watch?v=Qskg3LsTTNw

I'm not sure what to do with this game next. I've got the basics finished, but what should I add to it to make it more fun?

So this is the true power of Unity...

>he doesn't know

I think I had one in earlier then removed it, and didn't even realise until now. It's firing alright. I'm dumb. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is it an RTS sort of game like Sins of a Solar Empire, or more like Freelancer or the X series?

youtube.com/watch?v=x7Tjja5KHlY

Here it is: zillo7.itch.io/tier-1
It's all about the combat using either fighters or ships.

Downloading now. My piss poor internet should have it done in the next hour. Maybe.

Downloading it now, looks fun. Will comment later.

That looks SICK
Amazing work dude

>a 3d model of a tommy gun
>not ripping the tommy from Blood
Sigh~

Do I loop through all the bullets, and check if they're colliding with the enemies, or do I loop through all the enemies, and check if they're being hit by a bullet...?

nice doom clone

enemies

you use a proper physics system that doesnt know that something is a bullet or an enemy

Still practicing character art/drawing.

Gonna turn this little shit into a 3D character that I'm never gonna fucking use.

Also, I know it's silly to ask for any kind of planning advice in these threads, but does anybody have a clear rundown/workflow for game design stages?

Depends which one's movement is calculated first.

What about Godot?
Any opinions about it?
I will try monogame. Downloading it now.

>bullet collisions
>not just using hitscan

whew lad

thanks

The music is indeed from Doom, but you might want too look up what Daggerfall refers to.

>implying daggerfall isn't a doom clone itself

both monogame and godot have nice finished game
what i keep hearing about godot is that the documentation is a fucking mess

I think ships should make bigger/ better explosions so it looks better and is easier to notice amongst all the gunfire.
Looks really good though.

This. Implementing physical impact, ripping and fracture systems will also allow for bullets to break when impacting armor as well as internal bruising for living creature organs, different consequences for punching skin or other materials

Spent have the day trying to figure out why my gml switch didn't work for my grid-based menu and just found out it was because I didn't at 'break;' to the end of each case. Even hardcoded/refactored everything and almost went with all those extra lines of code until I thought, well, what if I just added 'break' at the end like how the gml manual formats their switch, since I've tried everything else anyway. Well, what do you know, it worked. I never needed it before, that's why I took it for granted.

Now I'm that much closer to my goal of creating true artificial intelligence in my games.

someone said my song sounds like a soundtrack song

clyp.it/ghriajia

Downloading, actually looks like a decent game

So I played through the first tutorial, will be playing more in a bit, but have something to go do.

This kind of thing is right up my alley actually. Docking the ship for fuel was engaging, took a bit of time and a bit of skill, and all the components of ship control made sense exactly like how I felt they should/would. I thought it was really fun. It's pace, I initially thought was way too slow, but I could see how with a group of people playing (if multiplayer ever gets introduced), something like this would be great

Will play more later and comment again.

>clyp.it/ghriajia

Could work for something stealthy imo. The delayed percussion is very crimey.

I'd slap a low pass filter on some of the stabs though, to bring the profile of the track down a little to capitalise on that vibe.

>spend a few hours trying to figure out what is causing an inexplicable bug
>its some shit left over from the last way you tried to make the system but forgot to delete

Multiplayer is going to be important for this game, but I'm not sure how to get it to work.

>tfw gay
aaaaaa

Also, not sure if this is intentional, but if you go to click the UI buttons for engines or strafing or whatever, you still shoot in the directions that your weapons are positioned. I know you probably play the game all with hotkeys, but it's still there

I BELIEVE IN YOU!

Whenever I feel really good after figuring out some elegant solution, Im always reminded of my fallibility when shit like that happens. But progress is still being made!

I'm ready for space jam! though I can't come up with original game ideas.

Thankfully you'll have some team members to ideaguy with

Took me a moment to notice it's Lego, pretty gud.

calling dibs right now on Team Rocket

did you email me yet? i will assign you into a team if you want, see this pastebin for further instructions (pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC)

Bombs
You want it ?

I did but I'm not too fond of working on someone else's idea.

Played the demo for about 20 minutes and I have a little bit of feedback for you:

- The weapons are well balanced
- Looks great
- Runs very well
- The ships don't handle all that well, they don't turn as quickly as you would expect
- The clouds are a little bit opaque, can barely see your own ship, at least on my monitor.

And finished. One more portrait to go and I'll have a full set.

Nice desu

Is using a raycast to check if the player is in range of an attack a waste of resources? Should I use a sphere collider instead?

well you've got until July 14th so there still some time

>The clouds are a little bit opaque, can barely see your own ship, at least on my monitor.
They're supposed to be so that you can hide in them. Radars/guided weapons also can't lock on when in the clouds.

you don't need to raycast to check distance, just get the vector length of the difference of their positions

Yeah, I get that. However, if I am controlling the ship surely I should be able to see it? I mean, make it clear where you are and make it difficult for others to see you.

make the clouds a less intense colour and it would look really nice
something like pic related possibly?

What's your choice for devving?:
1) Desktop
2) Laptop

>space cloud

they're called nebulae if you wanted to look at more OP.

When is space jam?

i agree that you could make it clearer without compromising on the game play

If you're too dumb to read the OP then you're too dumb to gamedev.

Laptop because it's all I have

also I like to dev on the move.

Thoughts? Harsh criticism. Give me all you've got.

July 14th
its a collab edition
see this pastebin if you want to be placed in collab groups.
pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

jelly/10

why did the space theme get forced into collab jam?

I missed that I'm retarded. Never done one of these before so not sure entirely how they work

really nice
the absolute harshest collabs i can offer are that there is a lot going on and the stains around the sewer could be more focal. honestly this is hella nice. have you signed up for collab jam yet? do you love the lord? sorry for being aggydags resident mormon but im recruiting and you are a great artist