The Human Mind is on a physical entity

Discuss

>*only

Fuck

Dorito Waifu is best girl and I want to fug her.

What is the mechanism that produces a particular thought?

I have my mind on physical entities all the time, oh yes.

I suppose a series of electrical impulses along neurons, which by the way they're organised shape our thought patterns and reactions to stimuli.

Hormones moderate certain pathways and certain pathways when triggered release hormones.

I would rather discuss dat booty

What is physical

Dem hips produce the thought of my fucking her ass.

A scholar and a gentleman.

I want to teach Peridot what getting physical means.

Obviously.

But there are emergent properties of the processes that can't be entirely accounted for.

We can explain every thought and every behaviour by reference to a physical process in the brain; we can't explain why I seem to be looking out through it. I'm just assuming you all have the same problem.

That would be consciousness, right? Maybe by creating the illusion of an interior window the human mind can centre its ego and organize thoughts to maximise its self-interest most effectively

I'll post more peridots if this keeps up

That hardly accounts for the complexity and unpredictability of human thoughts, you can just be walking and all of a sudden something occurs to you.

But surely the triggers ofor that thought aren't random. If you have a thought that occurs to you, you could be having a series of very slow-burning or stored impulses that until they converge are subconscious

Your ego doesn't have to be aware of every single dendrite I'm sure

not OP
"all of a sudden" isn't really "all of a sudden", you just perceive it as such. It's true the bits and nuances of consciousness have yet to be narrowed down, and will need mapping and model building beyond human minds (after all, can't expect a human to completely understand the human brain at a cellular level of every single cell). But that doesn't mean the only non-theologically tenable way of describing the human mind is as a very very, very, very ,very complex pattern fo neuron depolarizations and repolarizations. Bonini's paradox applies though, the more realistic the system the less understandable and the more understandable the less realistic.

Of course.

But why is there a thing that experiences these illusions?

The imagination of futures and outcomes as conceptual tools for a brain to act most effectively make perfect sense.

When you say mind, you have to tell us if you mean the ineffable thing that experiences things, or the sum of the processes of the brain. If they're the same, we'd love to hear how.

On behalf of /sug/ I'd like to apologize for Perifags, the most autistic fucks on the Steven Universe General.

Anyway, yeah, everything is physical more or less. There is no good reason to assume otherwise and every reason to assume so.

Both. My suspicion is that having a self that experiences things is one of the many things our neuron impulses do.

The reason it exists I think, as previously stated, is to improve our decision making skills.

Now I am a diagnosed autistic and I love peridot, but you're still a faggot.

So what's your fav then?

>So what's your fav then?
This isn't the place to discuss it, but Steven, obviously.

What we perceive is reality, so the mind as we perceive it is not just a physical entity.

What is consciousness anyway? A projection by our brains, an illusion? Do all animals become conscious the same way humans do after their brains become advanced enough or is it possible to have a highly advanced brain that is not conscious of itself?

Are "we" our brains or are we seperate? Would destroying your brain be killing yourself literally?

I think an advanced brain without consciousness would simply not be good at surviving. Having a self means you can organise your brainpower around what helps you.

I'm pretty sure consciousness was an unintended side effect, it doesn't actually help with our survival.

All evolution is side-effects, user.

And if something as important as the subconscious didn't help we'd have lost it by now.

n o n l i n e a r i t y

Not that other user's explanation seemed to get it either

You tow aren't dualists, are you?

history

& humanitites

Yeah it's called the brain.

But it's an exceptional physical entity. We are the only forms of sentient life in the Universe. There is nor ethical reason we shouldn't breed and overrun the universe.

That's if we could. It's unlikely we'll ever leave our local cluster.

How would you know if an advanced brain has consciouness or not?

There's not even an ironclad way to scientifically prove our own consciousness yet

The best we can do is communicate with the brain in question and guess whether it has a sense of self from its responses.

Good enough for me.

Can you even think of a good way to phrase the question? Honestly?

I know I have a self. You, I assume, know you have a self.

>why is there a thing that experiences these illusions?
How else would it be?

If there are experiences, something is experiencing it. "It" may not have a clear view of the underlying processes for the experiences and "it"self.

Yeah, if consciouness is defined as the way someone or something perceives the reality, we couldn't know if an android perceives the world like we do, or even perceives the world at all.

It's all unintended, user.

It might be necessary. Like pooping is a necessary by-product of eating. It's a chore, but you can't have one without the other.

We could test for it. It sounds like a riddle more than an unsolvable problem.

I can't. I know I have a self.

Okay user, you win. I'll go along with Universal conquest

It could occur without experience.

You have evidence of this? As I see it, it's like you ask me to imagine a three-sided square. It's like saying "there could be nothing instead of something". It's so detached from reality, or at least the way I'm wired to look at it, that I can't imagine it.

Don't link me to p-zombies. I don't understand how a brain that would work exactly the same way as mine wouldn't have the same experiences, without recurring to some something supernatural and that just adds more complications that it solves. The assumption that there is and there cannot be something like a p-zombie raises no complications and seems compatible with what I've gathered so far from reality.

Wow, so many errors. I gotta go to bed.

He isn't wrong. He's just long-winded

Who is long-winded?

I need more peridot. Have a reaction image.

Not the same guy, if consciouness emerges from interactions among matter, where do you draw the line for living things having or not consciouness?

Other question, do you think two subparticles interacting with each other could create condition for the emergence of a primitive kind of consciouness?