Existed for over 1000 years

>Existed for over 1000 years
>Nobody can name even 4 important things that happened in it
>"Caesar! Oh I know him! Everyone does! Who the fuck is JUSTinian?"
>No curriculum in the West or East gives a crap about it
>Latched onto by hipsters for all the above reasons

Why was Byzantium such a failure?

Cause on the whole they're unimportant to western civilization

Because it was just another hereditary monarchy pretending to be something great like the SPQR.

Frankly, the Diocletian reforms marked the final phase of Rome losing all of its cultural dynamism and becoming another petty oriental despotism.

This is a shitty bait

I'd be disappointed if you received anything more than facetiousness for it.

That is hilariously untrue. They were called the bulwark of Christendom for a reason.

>just another hereditary monarchy pretending to be something great

For centuries they were "the Empire", they were not pretending.

>Diocletian reforms marked the final phase of Rome losing all of its cultural dynamism and becoming another petty oriental despotism.

Don't be a retard. Diocletian's reforms regarding court formalities didn't change shit. The Empire was already authoritarian.

Nice shitpost.

>That is hilariously untrue

I'm talking about influence. Modern western civilization takes practically nothing from the ERE.

They kept Greek classical learning alive and many Byzantines were important in the Renaissance.

Except for all that Greek manuscripts and scholars who kickstarted that thing called Renaissance.

When did they become weak?
By the time of Charlemagne they were already not that strong? Or was it a few centuries later when they had Manzikert and were getting their ass beat in wars to Bohemmond's father?

Apart from legal systems (other than England), concepts of kingship, dress, army tactics etc. You seem to be making the mistake of separating the Byzantines and Roman Empire of antiquity.

After Manzikert they became weak but came back in the late 12th century, the 1204 sack by the Venetians was the real death blow. The Empire had been on the brink of death many times before but had come back.

So now the ERE gets credit for Aristotle & Plato?

The Renaissance was all about Greece of antiquity.

Are you dull?

>separating the Byzantines and Roman Empire of antiquity.

They are separate entities.They didn't even speak the same language.

No, but it gets credit for every single one of the tens of thousands of eastern writers that existed between the hellenistic period and 1453.

The Renaissance specifically celebrated pre-roman Hellenism.

Very few people spoke Latin in the eastern provinces in 200 AD either, your argument doesn't mean shit. They are not separate entities by any stretch of the imagination, and no modern scholar seriously runs with the assertion that they are anything but the same state. Theodoric even handed back the western Roman crown and silk vestments to the emperor in Constantinople formally reuniting the two halves of the empire, if you want to think about it legally.

>Christendom
>Western Civ

Are you seriously implying that there is any meaningful difference?

The difference between a goat fucking bedouin and an Aryan.

I don't think we're operating on the same level of discourse here.

>Yahweh Akbar
Indeed.

Tons of goat fuckers in Iran

>"Caesar! Oh I know him! Everyone does! Who the fuck is JUSTinian?"
Caring about what normies think? Name one other Roman that normies would recognize for his achievements? They generally haven't even heard of Augustus. Maybe Caligula because muh horse senator.
>No curriculum in the West or East gives a crap about it
Curriculum in eastern Europe is pretty devoted to Byzantium.
>The difference between a goat fucking bedouin and an Aryan
I don't think you know what Aryan means

>>Nobody can name even 4 important things that happened in it

I can!

>Justinian's conquest of Italy

>The Establishment of Spania

>The formulation and promulgation of orthodox christianity, along with the spread of Orthodox Christianity to the slavs.

>The Lazic War

Aren't the bedouins indo-european?

That doesn't matter.

The Byzantine's maintaining of Classical texts was important for the renaissance.

all hail the glorious Eastern Roman Library

That's like saying the printing press is important because we have more books now.

Who the fuck cares.

The printing press is one of the most revolutionary and INFLUENTIAL inventions.

What is "Byzantium"? Why are you posting about it with a mosaic of a Roman Emperor?

The wheel is the most revolutionary invention m8

>What is "Byzantium"?
The Modern name for the Greek Empire

>Why are you posting about it with a mosaic of a Roman Emperor?
Are you confusing this with this thread here?

But it is not a mosaic.

That is Justinian I, Emperor of Rome. I believe you are the mistaken one here, friend.

Friend, so can everyone else in this thread, where do you think you are?

But Justinian spoke latin

What the fuck no

Well, both Justinian and Belisarius are a living meme. At least the first, was a bad emperor at best and the second is a bit magnified.
Mauricius for example have no credit and its very important.

>They are separate entities.
In the same way that an 80 year old man is a separate entity from the 8 year old he once was.
>They didn't even speak the same language.
You are aware that the Roman Empire was always multi ethnic? Even in republican days the Romans were heavily influenced by the greeks who had settled in Italy, and by the late Republic Romans like Cicero, Marc Antony and Caesar were criticised for their shameful embrace of the Greek Language, Culture & Mores?

Naturalistic painting in the Western world would never have happened if not for Byzantine influence. Look at Dark Age painting like the Book of Kells; it's beautiful but has no naturalism at all. On the other hand, the Byzantines always preserved the naturalism of Roman art, even if it wasn't used to its fullest extent. It was only with intermittent Byzantine influence that naturalism caught on in the West, first with the Carolingians and Ottonians, then with Gothic painting and finally with 13th century Italian icons, the latter evolving into Renaissance painting in the 14th century.

You only named one (the Slav stuff). The rest happened in the 6th century. The Byzantine empire is only post-7th century. That's something Byzantiboos tend to ignore.

>The Byzantine empire is only post-7th century.
What is that even supposed to mean?