/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Junethack is ongoing for the rest of June: junethack.net/
/rlg/ clan:

Poschengband 4.0.2 released: angband.oook.cz/forum/showpost.php?p=111187&postcount=195

DCSS Trunk Updates: crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-25-may-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/uDqaWtvm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ohayou gozaimasu, /rlg/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's play our best today!

Good luck in your playthroughs, /rlg/!

I've heard that eye of the dragon is the worst relic.

>DCSS crashes when you use shift click to drop items more than three times at the same location

>mario
>red mustache
Should I kill this imposter?
I have a good feeling about this run.

Thoughts on CDDA? Is there anything else like that game that doesn't suck. I want an open-world rogue like that I can craft and explore in.

>clicking

Take it as a hint to learn keyboard controls because they're faster.
d to drop, or shift+d to drop the last item picked up.

It really is. But my downfall came from trying to link with a modified chindi that sapped all my max HP down to 4, and then later walking into that fotia pack with only one healer out and drained HP even though I knew it would not end well

>using a mouse

good stuff yeah?

Elona I guess. It has a definite goal unlike C:DDA but the grind and weeb shit is unreal

>mouse controls
I bet you eat with your left hand in Asia too.

IS THIS PIZZA CASTLE?

Either way, I decided to start a run as one because of your screenshot. I wonder how well I'll do. Earlier today I made it to Tower:7 for the first time. I skipped Anomaly because my party had beenhurt pretty bad clearing Tower:6 thanks to Ludoc and his summons.

>DCSS will never spawn a semi-functional RV/MML that I can use as a home

Can you build stuff in it?

you only just found this out? it's been a crash/exploit for ages

>not using a mouse locally to spare your left hand from tabstorming
What's great about this bug is that it will roll your save back a good 50 turns, sometimes even more, which makes it exploitable.

>Destroying walls in the slime pits also destroys the slime around them
why didnt you people tell me this sooner, fuck

>being a savescummer
What's the point in even playing a roguelike?

Console local doesn't support mouse use you absolute heathen.

>scumming
For what purpose

savescum get OUT

just forcequit in task manager if you're that desperate to cheat. hell you can kill yourself by failing at removing bionics and when prompted to enter your final words just alt + f4 and reload. it'll leave behind your corpse and you'll be alive, cloning the items

>deliberately crashing the game to roll back your save isn't savescumming

Anomaly is a treasure trove of exp and currency which helps a lot if you can clear it, but you should definitely skip it if your party has trouble with Fotia or Aeras packs. But you can usually just walk away from them.

Like vehicles or buildings? Not really, although I guess you can set up a house on the world map but it's mostly just placing items in it. Maybe you want something like Unreal World? I've never tried it though

>every offline player is a savescummer

>he doesn't know

I save scummed my way to my first win and it was then posted in the op of the next thread. I'm sorry everyone. I have lied to you.

Why would you do that to yourself?
It would be a hollow victory.

I tried URW, couldn't really get into it though. It's a decent game, just wasn't my thing. CDDA has got a great crafting/building system but the game is so unbalanced it's just terrible desu senpai. Maybe someday the game I want will exist.

How do you not kill yourself every hour that you're alive?

Absolutely disgusting.

>want to try to build my outer heaven again
>but I can't will myself to play without editing the .jsons so that there is far less clutter, crafting recipes make more sense, zombies aren't as shit and guns are powerful yet limited.
This must be how the DCSS devs feel. How awful.

neck yourself

I think I forgot about how Demon still has mouse input.

lol death by huo shu

And we're finally back! I went and got something so there was a little bit of silence but as soon as I got back I when to go kill Smaug. He's a really easy unique as long as you can outspeed him.

So are roguelikes just long grinds with shitty graphics and permadeath?

The craft book isn't that bad actually.

no

You might think that if you have an IQ below 85 :^^^^^^)

GET OUT
REEEEEEEEEEEEE

>You will never tenderly embrace Jorgrun as he casts Petrify on your nether region.

Man, I always hate it when I fail at linking on the first floor.

Get some MR or else! Otherwise, get outta there, especially if you're a gargoyle.

I've been playing DCSS and that's what it feels like senpai. I like it but it seems like 90% of my deaths are from not paying attention because I've been playing for a while. Is there any strategy to the fighting other than coming up with efficient builds?

>gargoyle
Just fly lmao

git gud

become proficient

Smaug is only seriously a problem for characters on a low period of consumables and/or ones that rely on bolt spell damage for a long time (especially as he sometimes is the one who drops their next good non-bolt damage spell spell in book 3!)

weaponmastery is "it increases the damage dice of your melee weapon" effect

the craft buffs are all very strong, it's just hard to keep buffed especially if your mana pool is non-mage (and doubly so when you're a melee character and in the thick of it so you have to phase buff1 buff2 buff3 quaff re-engage type of thing). Craft has very good spells but many of the best ones are buffs.

try to fight in corridors, stairs are your most important ally, dont walk into dangerous ares with unidentified potions/scrolls, holding down Tab instantly kills you

MiBe + Exec axe

This never gets old.

I understand that already, but the whole game seems grindy af. I like playing it I just expected it to require more critical thinking, people told me roguelikes would require lots of strategy but desu this one doesn't seem to. Not trying to shitpost I just don't know if I'm missing something.

I think this little nigga can carry me for a while.

Those "90% of deaths" are because you're NOT applying critical thinking in combat, most likely.
The next time you see yourself get into a tight situation, stop. Quit hitting buttons. Think about your options, your consumables, your surroundings.

You can't even grind in DCSS until postend, where its largely useless and somewhat forced due to how awful pan is. Player skill is important for getting through the early game, and a big part of that is knowing how to make an efficient build with what you have. It can be as simple as a mummy fighting who drops shields and gets a smaller investment in M&F so he can use a +0 dire flail to kill the yaks instead of trying to get a great mace right away. Do the best with what you have.

Where are the caaws when you need them?

Hey guys, just started playing DCSS again, I'm playing a merfolk gladiator of Maklehb (Can't remember the damn acronyms or be bothered to look them up.) named Aquaman. I'm pretending the demons are just really evil fish, you see.

I've got 7 runes so far, including abyss, slime pits, cocytus, and tartarus. I'm almost finished with Dis... I've cleared to the boss room and I'm pretty sure I can take him without any problems.

Where should I go after that? I've been mucking about in the abyss, I've got I've got some pretty sweet gear, including some pearl dragon armor I bought at a bazaar, but my main problem is I have no particularly compelling f+ gear. I've got some +5 fairy dragon armor, but I like having 35 37 32 on a merman. I haven't done Zot yet because I'm still butthurt about having my Link run ended by an orb of fire on my way up a staircase, so I want to go prepared. (I have scrolls of fog and blink stockpiled this time just in case.)

Some details, I have 27 in polearms, dodging, and fighting. Been training shields since I finally dropped my trusty +7 contaminated halberd, it's up to 22 and I'm using a large one with +5 slaying and +3 strength. Armor at 14, stealth at 13, and invocations at 19.

I've got some necromancy, and my transmutation is almost high enough to safely use necromutation when wearing my ring of the magi. (And statue form if I train earth up a little.)

I have a +7 demon trident of piercing, and a big pile of syches with various brands sitting in a pile in the vesti. I've also got some transmutation books, and could easily cast dragon or hydra form if I trained my unarmed.

So where to? Use the fairy armor, maybe settle for r++ or crappy rings in gehenna and zot?

Should I keep training Necromancy, learn hydra-fu, or shore up my core competencies?

I haven't played stone soup in 2 years. What class/race should I go for my return?

CENTAUR CAVALRY

Merfolk Gladiator of QAZLOUD. Hit 14 polearms and 20 ev before lair, and hit 20 invocations by the time you leave lair:8. Explode the whole dungeon from there.

You can easily take on zot and abyss, and if you want to go for the full 15, you're more than ready to jump into pan. Post a dump so we can see your stats more efficiently please.

the parts where you died were the parts that needed more critical thinking

When you're good at DCSS the main challenge is to not get bored and do something stupid. Since the game is designed to be almost 100% beatable when you play well, a good player knows what to do to win and the only challenge is executing the tactics correctly for a few hours, which gets boring.

But the combat is not that simple, especially for a not-good player.

It's up to you to decide if you're good enough that a death was from boredom or from being bad and blaming it on boredom.

But the thinking is so easy. I always die to getting myself into more than I can handle, if I just spent more time grinding or didn't explore so quickly I wouldn't have died. I just get bored/overconfident and that's always what kills me.

Also, should I be killing everything before moving to the next level of the dungeon? That's what I've been doing but idk if that's even necessary (for the XP).

yes

but if you know the right tricks you can get around that last one :)

I get overconfident is code for I don't know the enemies ability to kill me

>carrying the rod of chaos strike

what is it even good for? confusing uniques?
non-unique enemies just get polymorphed and returned to full hp

>Also, should I be killing everything before moving to the next level of the dungeon? That's what I've been doing but idk if that's even necessary (for the XP).
Git gud.

>But the thinking is so easy. I always die to getting myself into more than I can handle
So... you die because you're not doing the easy thinking?

Yeah I just zone out eventually desu senpai.

go for the new shit:

Vinestalker monk of ru

Is it best to go auto or manual for stone soup?

auto less time wasting managing skills more time tabbing things.

Play a spellcaster so you can't tab.

You don't have to kill all the dudes. And grinding literally isn't a thing due to a few factors. 1 is the deeper you go, the more experience you gain from killing enemies. Clearing all of dungeon 1-5 does not compare to later when you start getting the exp heavy enemies like yaks. 2 is that if you stay too long on a floor, it will start spawning heavily out of depth enemies that WILL fuck you. 3 is that outside of these OoD spawns, normal enemies will not respawn. You literally have to keep diving to see more enemies that won't wreck you. Most of the early game is knowing how to run, how to pull enemies away from groups, how to gauge your strength vs. the enemy and which enemies you just don't engage.

manual

Working on it, haven't used paint in ages and I'm trying to find it.

You goof. Press # to dump a morgue file. Copy the text from that file into a pastebin and give us the link. Those big compilation images are never as good as the actual dump.

(i'm keeping The Fishingpole in my house in case I want to go fishing though)

I think it might just get burned up but this is a pretty decent drop.

>tfw managed to build near-unbeatable character in DCSS and was clearing everything
>would use mushroom men as meat shields whenever I got in trouble
>also trained in Necromancy even though I'm a minotaur because fuck it why not
>I can teleport my undead to me whenever I get separated
>have overpowered armor
>feel like I'm brute forcing the game so I kill myself

Why did I do this? Meh.

that's not a dump user.

>minotaur
There is your problem.

Gotcha, I'm kinda new at this, hence the Merfolk of Maklehb. Looking for the file now.

>baby's first pseudo-diesel

You're cute.

Well what should I play as then?

It should be a text file that only has your characters name in the morgue folder.

Is there a spell that summons mushrooms now? I thought you could only get them from fedhas.

Whatever you'd like, my man. I'm just fucking with you for being new.

You're not OP until you have 70 AC.

What part of the game were you at? I find that unless your character is REALLY obnoxious, depths and the fourth floor of your rune branches will give you some amount of trouble. Vaults too, if you only have 2 pips of MR.

>monk
I'm magically inclined, right?

>Minotaur
>Worship Fedhas
>Learn Necromancy from book I found

Yeah I know, but which characters are actually challenging? Do vampires count?

Okay, here's the dump: pastebin.com/uDqaWtvm

formacid warpers, my friend.