/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Just like make game.

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early, you can work with by yourself or with a team.

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/3Yl07
lmgtfy.com/?q=basic platformer character sprite
opengameart.org/content/classic-hero
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for video game development

I rather have a guy posting motivational pictures while giving feedback than a nodev just angrily attacking him thou

Reposting in real thread
How does the fragments that spawn out of the bigger asteroids look? The idea is that they should act as a shotgun blast if the bigger asteroid is hit by a missile. Should they travel faster?

second for more waifujams fanart

REAL NEW
REAL NEW

Looks good in my opinion. I just think they get lost a little on the background. I understand you can't really do too much about that on a space game though

Shouldn't have made it so early and shouldn't have fucked with the OP.

>neutered OP

fug off

>another thread ruined by dogposter
All we need next is Anime and Sourcefam and the destruction is complete.

Guns are working, added a kickback as well.
All i need now are some enemies to shoot at.

Reminder that programming is a skill, but art is a talent.

Nah, he does it on purpose, everytime there is a new thread around this time of the day. Always with a 'funny' image and a 'funny' acronym. Since nobody gives a shit about it his threads usually die really fast too.

Good point i'll brighten the scene a bit.

Why are you upside down now?

Is this literally you, dogposter?

Programming is also a Talent. It's why Unity is so good and is the #1 choice for making games -- it's the ONLY way to make a game unless you have Talent.

Is the aspect ratio off? That planet is oval

Is the game 3d? The nebula and asteroids are pretty indistinginct, and the asteroids overlapping the planet is kind of confusing.

I like all the textures from an artistic point of view, but keeping the game readable is also very important.

I've been enjoying your progress, please keep posting it.

Maybe the missiles could cast a little bit of blue light on the asteroids?

Exactly this. Blakey boy should stop trying to destroy /agdg/. It didn't work with agdg2 and it won't work now. :)

imgur.com/a/3Yl07
imgur.com/a/3Yl07
imgur.com/a/3Yl07

Over 420 views. :)

I'm using UE4 and i'm making a game without any talent, please stop the shitposting and post progress even if its old.

Don't reply to shitposts friend

Do NOT listen to the salty nodev. He has no game, and is just shitting on others because he wants everyone to be as much of a failure he is.

I wanna cuddle the witch.

>his planets aren't elliptical

>please stop the shitposting and post progress even if its old.

Most of this is yesterday's progress, but hey.

This whole screen is gonna serve as an interactive UI for equipping planes and stuff.
I honestly don't know what I was thinking. All of this will be a bitch to animate.

I'm making an RPG. Should I let the player name the player character(s)?

Yeah looks dope though

I don't have to validate myself to you, nodev. I don't want my game associated with furries and pedophiles.

Do players actually roleplay a character or are they just playing as your own original creation?

>Posts devving progress
>You're the nodev!

Whew. But yeah gonna stop giving you (you)'s now though that your baiting is that bad.

You could always go with the jrpg way. Let the player name their characters and if he doesn't name them they have a default name.

yeah.

but also give the character canon names.

if possible i always use the default name.

>anime
>negrosepeak
Why do nodevs keep coming here and trying to destroy the general? Does Rotate have henchmen beyond the dogposter now?

>play jrpg
>try to go for non-default name
>the voiced cutscenes use the default names
>have no idea who the characters are talking about because I didn't remember the default names

Yeah, default names is usually the way to go, especially if you want to have discussions about the game online

Can some make me a basic platformer character sprite?

Where is your game?

here you go, enjoy

i threw in a few extras too

I'm not her henchman I'm her lover

lmgtfy.com/?q=basic platformer character sprite

so, using unity store assets, this is about as far as i got, cause i have no idea how to code.

what do I do now? i'd love to control him but i've no idea how.

Where is your game, literally insane nodev shitposter?

No comments.

Because i'm taking the old petrified game dev conventions and turning them their heads
mind = blown

You should watch some unity tutorials on their website.

Nice rebuttal. Maybe you should fuck off if you have nothing to contribute but shitposts about irrelevant faggots.

You're gonna have a bad time with no idea how to code. I'd suggest learning some basic C# if you're going to use Unity. And watch or read lots of tutorials for Unity. You're probably going to need to start smaller, like making pong.
There should be plenty of tutorials or examples for making a third person character though, since that's one of the most popular types of games with Unity.

Now you learn how to make a game

>Play Devil Summoner II
>Name the MC with canon name i looked up, raidou kuzunoha
>it's actually the title of his role
>later on in the game i'm asked if i did what i did because my role imposed to (as Raidou blabla) or because i personally thought it was the right thing to do (as player name).

I heard learning C# is bad practice. Is that true?

Sorry, learning C# in Unity is bad practice*

Yeah, that's shitty as fuck.
Custom player names are ok if you don't have voiced cutscenes and take the little time and work to use that custom name on the dialogs.
But if you plant to have voiced cutscenes you either never name the main character on them or don't allow the player to name him.

Yeah, I'd recommend using XNA or Monogame with C# if you want to learn in a gamedev environment.

to be completely honest everything about Unity is bad. UE4 is a better engine, C++ is better than C#, and you can use blueprints if you're really terrible at programming.

>everything about unity is bad

this meme needs to end desu, it's a solid platform.

don't listen to those guys, most people who don't suggest unity are too prideful to use an engine or are compsci students who already know how to program already
stick to unity, it's what most people use

Ah I think I'm getting faster. Started this guy today and he's already rigged. The rig needs polish still, though.

I think learning any language by trying to use an engine is bad practice. Go off an learn the language first, then come back and use that knowledge to make a game.

since both threads forgot to include the directions to sign up for placement collabs, I will repost

"I have decided to take the initiative and make the groups based on stats you guys give me.

if you want to collaborate on this jam, email me at
[email protected]
answering the following questions:

>what is an original (appropriate) name that i can refer to you as when i post the list of groups?

>What is your area of expertise and skill level?
briefly describe what you are good at in game deving/what you can do. preferably rate yourself honestly on these skills so I can place you with a suited group.

>what experience do you have making games?

>What are your ambitions with this jam?
are you going to be spending day and night working crazy to make something super awesome? do you have work/school and cant garuntee your availability? tell me all this :P

>Are you willing to work with less experienced devs? more experienced?
are you willing to be a leader for your group and work with some possibly less experienced devs or would you absolutely require someone veteran? Tell me and ill see what i can do (this is hard to guarantee.

>Your contact info
please leave as much as you are willing for your group members to contact you and arrange a group chat for the collab. Make a throwaway if you're worried about anonymity.

that should be everything..
this is designed for you all to have fun working together on this. try to work together with your team mates and make something great!

i will email you with the contact info of your group members on July 14 and let you guys arrange the group chat. Late comers are welcome to participate in this jam but should set up their own collab in the thread."

>buying assets with no clear game in mind
See? This is why the Unity Asset Store works so well.

>implying i bought them

eh it's really not "solid". It's capable of making games, sure, but it's not the holy grail of engines like some people like to make it out to be. UE4 also isn't the holy grail of course, but it is better

Only if the characters does not have any sort of name to begin with. So if the main hero is not "Link" or whatever, but just the silent, nameless wanderer, the player itself.

Why would you give the option to name the character if it already has a name?

Is the concept of Jurassic Park (i.e, "people make a theme park with real dinosaurs and everything goes wrong") legally protected, or just the name?

I want to make a platformer where you play as a particularly intelligent Utahraptor in a JP-like facility, going on a rampage trying to find your way into the wilderness, but I'm not sure if doing so would be putting myself at risk.

That's a free asset.

I see, and I suppose you use UE4. There is no holy grail of games, and I can tell from your posts that you have no put any real amount of time into learning unity. You're just parroting all the memeposting.

I've tried both engines, and Unity is my preference. Stop misleading new programmers to make you feel more secure about your platform choice.

Of course I've used both Unity and UE4, and UE4 is my preference.

opengameart.org/content/classic-hero

do it at a zoo instead
bootleg jurassic park but at least you wont catch a case
lions and gorillas are almost as scary as dinos

I used both engines, i heavily prefer UE4 but as any sane person I realize thats just preference, would recommend Unity to someone new to game dev.

UE4 has however 2 big advantages over Unity:
1: High fidelity (which is almost guaranteed to be irrelevant to an indie dev)
2: Longelivety, its well known that Unity is a sinking ship and might not be supported in a year or two whilst UE is going ahead strongly.

3rded

I agree that from a business standpoint Unity is in a weaker position than UE4, but I doubt it would be an amount of time like a year or two. I think it will see support through the next 5 years easily.

Can I learn coding from here? codecombat

Did you miss the whole news of the clusterfuck when they started kicking out the old programmers who disliked them monetizing it so much and have not done a proper update to the engine since?

Is this Vive stuff?

I did miss that. Link?

You can learn imperative programming I guess

Yes, though obviously specific things like hero.moveRight() and such won't be in your language of choice by default.

But the logic you learn there should apply elsewhere. At least much of the later stuff will.

Yeah on a computer way under spec.

I just looked at the website. Later on, there's much more useful stuff.

cool. coding gets me excited, can't wait to learn C# and whatnot.

the game is being played in python, so thats cool

Unity is much much easier to get into and actually do a game.

Then again, by the time unity releases a new update that breaks half of the shit you did, unreal will release 3-4 major updates that adds atleast a couple hundred dollars worth of new features that you could "aquire" from the Unity Asset store™ . so there's that.

In the end how I see it is :

If you want to make a relatively simple and small game that doesn't require alot of low level coding, if you want to have a library of answered questions, tutorials and ASSETS™ - pick unity

If you want to make a game that either looks very good out of the box, that requires heavy work with materials, low level coding, an engine that has features (for free) that Unity Store™ sells for hundreds of $$$ and you would love the engine to actual have bug fixes done on it - pick UE4.

Also unity has a relatively dead/dying community, but a whole treasure chest of old answered questions and discussed/solved problems.
UE4 is much more active with the community now and offers alot of things to build up the community and help you out in general (UE4 grant, constant jams that give some good prizes etc). But it doesn't have a good collection of answered questions just yet.

As far as personal experience goes, I've had actual UE4 engine devs help me out with problems, explain the reasoning behind their solutions and how they came up with it etc., while on Unity Forums™ the devs are almost never there. They don't work on the engine. They don't communicate. Literally jacking off somewhere.

and yet I still use Unity, because I enjoy prototyping games in days/weeks, rather than weeks/months

alot of unity engine devs are leaving unity. Makes you wonder what the reason could be, considering it should be the golden age to work on and sell game engines

Yeah the aspect ratio is a bit off, doesn't look like that ingame.
It's not 3d, but regarding the asteroid thing i do agree it looks weird, i'm still working on making gravity that doesn't look completely retarded.

I'll keep posting!

If I were you, I'd just use GameMaker Studio and watch HeartBeast's and Shaun Spaulding's tutorials, PAYING ATTENTION TO WHAT THE CODE DOES. HeartBeast does a great job explaining what everything does as you go. And then if you want to do anything else, bust out the documentation and figure it out from there.

This is how I learned, and I went from basically zero to coding a decently solid platformer in like, a day.

Cool, do you want art assets?

I'm guessing 4GB isn't really enough to work with UE4? The FPS is always great in the editor while working with assets, but the editor itself just takes forever to react to things.

Just read a book instead. Learning from a game is something for 8 year olds.

sounds good. I want as much help as I can get, even took some free classes on edx

thanks user. i'll check them out!

> learning how to code by reading books

Digging your grave right there.

Personally I use Unity for 2 reasons.

1) UE4 runs like absolute ass on my laptop. On lowest settings I can manage 60fps in a small room, but I don't like my computer fan going totally haywire the entire time I'm devving. Makes me feel like I'm breaking my computer

2) I comfort myself with the idea that even if unity goes under, there is nothing stopping me using their engine (r-right?)

Honeslty if someone were to offer me an alternative with a decent amount of support, I would go for it. For now I don't really have any choice.

Yeah currently i'm just doing some bad ones myself. can be reached at [email protected]

I taught myself first through books and then learning by doing. A healthy mix of the two is good if you're smart enough to not fall to deep into the "The book must be right about everything and everything needs to be abstracted and entirely structural" meme.

Yeah and any smart person won't judge you for that. Both have their advantages for a small dev.

This "Living " anhimals are way more scary in my opinion because they are common sights, while dinosaurs always have that touch of fantasy on them. You could easilly make a game about hungry man-eating dogs and it would be scary as fuck And don't even get me started on spiders..

Yeah probably.

It's not uncommon for the editor to be using >8GB, especially when baking.

How does 2D in UE4 compare to Unity? Everything from sprites to physics. From what I've heard, UE4's Paper 2D is absolutely awful.

They're both inappropriate for 2D

I get what your saying user, but im not sure what books are good, i heard there are alot of bad programming books out there.

and plus, this game is a nice little introduction to coding for me. i am going to use books, of course, but i'd like to know a little before going into one, ya feel?

A good mixture of books, practical assignments and internet tutorials for when you get stuck will get you further than any game will.
Plus i think if you need a game to keep you interested while you learn then you may as well give up now.

Yeah yeah. Again it boils down to personal preference, go with whatever works for you. Agree that going into a book with no background at all can mess your view up.

What would you use?

So what's a good engine to make a 2d game in with the possibility of making a 3d game later on?

POST PROGRESS!