/domg/ - Dominions General

Nobody's Thread Edition

Previous Pantokrator Dominions is a fantasy turn-based strategy game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a strategy game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for thread dying again.

candy

Any games aside from the ErmorOP thing recruiting?

/domg/'s next match in the Veeky Forums League is later today. 2 matches are over already, /dng/ is going to play /fgg/ very soon and then it's /domg/ vs /ddg/. I have no idea how it'll go.

implyingrigged.info/wiki/Veeky Forums_League_6

I noticed other teams had managed to alter the appearence of their players more completely, aka the giant animu head and more recently the Kut-Ku's wings of /MHG/. Is it possible to make our team a pixely mess of monters rather than anything remotely human? And also to give Bob his frost brand and vine shield.

NoBones

So it's either NoBones or AllBones?

It's entirely possible, just way beyond my abilities. The giant animu heads are literally just their heads made so large that they cover their entire body, for example, and I'm not sure if those wings were also part of the head model. Actually sticking things to players' hands is possible, but more complicated than just modding their head.

And of course, we'd need actual 3d models for it. We're lucky to have what we have, it was all made by other people.

Luckily we now have more insane people here, to at least try. Though our current models are pretty decent, just could be ENTIRELY LUDICROUS

My bird scouts found you. You're a decent ways to my south.

>Constant crashes with no reason

Truly like dominions

Well this might be my first lesson, buy more scouts and less blood priests

Don't worry about it. My scouts are cheap, can be recruited in any forest, and can move like 3 provinces a turn.

I need a temporary sub/subs for June 11-18th
Memegeddoniii Atlantis
Awfulgame Azothia
FattenedCalf R'lyeh
Ediblegloves R'lyeh

Do we just have nothing to talk about?

Why do you like the water so much, you thirsty motherfucker?

Not really. What do you want to talk about?

What's some good stuff to do with Abysia? Pretenders, important spells, stuff like that.

XIBALA IS OP PLS NERF

For the ladies of course

PILLARS
OF
FIRE
STORM

ea abysia op pls nerf

Sorry, I'm actually getting on a typing up my bless mod (national + generic spells which do bless + extra shit)

Well I can tell you from experience that the absolute most important thing is for your enemy's ally to backstab him without warning and give you the breathing room you need to reach endgame.

Other than that, I've been working on my LA Abysia pretender design. I really like EB paths so I can break into Earth magic a lot more easily and Maneater is a fantastic awake expander. Seriously, just slam him into whatever and he'll most likely deal with it just fine between fear and awe. I've been thinking something like 4E3B, for the reinvig on all your holy mages and getting your magics online but that's pretty expensive with the Dom 9 you want to awake expand. Haven't really figured out the scales balance yet.

Not that Abysia needs an awake expander by any means, I just had a lot of success with mine and think it can be a handy option.

Well, let's talk about production scale. I know such a change isn't moddable but if Illwinter were to change production scale, what kind of change (if any) would you like to see? I've seen a number of suggestions to buff it (like +-1/2/3 turns to fort construction time) but what about if it affected fort cost by a modest amount (like +-5/10/15%)?

I'm not sure that's a solution. I mean it definitely makes Production more attractive, but it doesn't fix Production's main issue, which is that it loses relevance in the long run. Early on Production is pretty nice, because it lets you churn out more/bigger expansion parties. But later on it becomes far less relevant because resources stop being a real bottleneck and its income bonus gets outperformed by both Order and Growth. Adding a bonus to fort construction (whether by speeding it up or making it cheaper), makes it even better in the short term, but doesn't do much to help its long-term potential since mid- and especially lategame generally doesn't see much fort construction. It becomes more about taking the enemy's forts than about building your own.

So while it definitely helps, it just makes Production even more into an early-game focused pick.

Well, let's look at what we CAN do.

We can change the gold/res % per scale.
We can make it change the tax rate in forted provinces
We, uh, I swear I had more ideas.

This is true, if we were going to alter the production scale, it would need to be made more mid/lategame viable.

Unit cost decrease per scale? Like -1/2/3g per unit per scale.

Well, that helps factions with cheap units disproportionately

Amazing pic
sauce?

If there was a negative to fort production time nobody except palisades nations would ever take more than sloth 1. They're just too important to get up early.

3d frost brands, this is the sign of apocalyps

Imagine markata at 2g per.

What if you tied Production to unit upkeep? There's some (tangential) precedent for this since units use province resources to replace rusted/destroyed armor, so you could say that Production scales helps with shit like that and in/decrease upkeep by like 1% per scale. It's something minor that has virtually no effect on the early game, but over time it can really add up especially in the lategame, making it more and more relevant in the long run.

Production scale already affects the replacement of broken equipment, though, by offering more resources for replacing those equipment (if I've understood the mechanic behind it correctly, at least). But the idea itself would make it matter in mid-lategame while production already buffs early game adequately.

Isn't that literally what I just said?

Patch/Magic Expanded/Item Units release when

Yap

Production already affects repairing of equipment so it doesn't make sense that it would reduce the cost of repairs. That's already accounted for.

However, now that I think about it, you could think of it something along the lines of troops in the land of sloth neglecting the maintenance of equipment so it needs more paid work by local professionals/camp followers.

What's wrong with having Prod be an early game focused scale? Some design choices make your nation stronger early, some make it stronger late. Even if Prod is currently undervalued because it falls off, I still see no problem with having it make your nation snowball harder.

So it's literally what I just said.

Good to see that we agree.

>mapmove of commander affects sailing

It does not. There's a map setting to limit it to sail 1 province instead of the default 2.

Order allows you to build secondary forts earlier and with 4-6 adjencent provinces, unless they're all farmland, gives a respectable amount of resources to capital even with neutral scales. It's not even early game centric for almost every nation, really, more like first half a year.

I understand why it's not taken for many nations. I'm saying that I'd be interested in buffs to it that also help make it early/midgame oriented (like the fort build times mentioned) rather than things that help it scale to the late game.

Pangaea?

Yes?

Are you planning to defend that province?

I haven't looked at the turn yet. Did we collide?

Oh I see. I got into your cap ring. Go ahead and take it back. I'll move my cetaurs back to the swamp

So how's everyone doing for expansion in the ROTP game? I'm asking for a friend because his is going just great

Also is there a steam chat for it yet?

Nice, thanks

Too cozy for my liking (see: I accidentally bumped into Caelum's cap ring), but going well. I haven't actually hit anyone's army, which is a plus for everyone.

It's a big plus for me, my armies of furries are an embarrassment

I'm trying to expand in your direction now since that's the only way I have left. I have scouts on you (not sounding creepy. I have scouts on all my neighbors but Caelum. Your direction just so happened to be the way I sent my first bird). Anyway, I don't think our armies will collide.

yeah seems to be a bit of bumping into cap rings

did lanka just go ai?

>not sounding creepy
>But I'm watching you through the eyes of my half woman half bird monsters

It's hard not to be a creepy voyeur as pan, they have such an intel advantage over everyone else.

Welp, they aren't on the llamaserver list anymore

Ha. I was trying to imply that I'm not just stalking you. I'm stalking everyone.

Yep, Lanka is gone. Damn. If I were anywhere near them I'd gobble them up. Guess this is a good opportunity for whoever is closest to them

Because the nations that use heavy armor and are good is limited to MA Ulm and LA Agartha, but their main mage produces resources.

New player here, kinda want to break into the multiplayer community.

Is EA Hinnom worth learning at all? Spreadsheet says they've never won a multiplayer game that's been recorded, but they look like an interesting nation to play.

Interesting but very hard to play.

Hinnom is one of the harder nations to get good with, not just because of their Blood magic (which adds a bit of complexity), but also because they're hungry hungry hebrews and eat everything including eachother. But they're definitely fun to play if you're willing to put in the effort.

Are they viable? Assuming you were able to play them at a decent level.

1200 gold fucking forts.

However I've managed with their initial expansion party to take half a dozen provinces without lossing a hungryhungryhinnite

Yes. They're definitely not top-tier, but almost all nations are viable.

Practically every nation is viable, more or less
Hinnom is one of those weird nations that have new player traps in them, like the sacreds which look good and cool but are a bit of a pain to use beyond expansion and are relatively easy to counter. Strong mages but a lack of useful crosspaths.

They're a decent nation but tend to get overshadowed by Lanka and Xib.

MA Pythium likes prod too

EA Hinnom, and the other Jew nations to a lesser degree, are plagued by having powerful units that eat population. For a Blood nation especially, this is absolutely disastrous. If you can get a decent bloodgame going and survive into the endgame as Hinnom, their ridiculously powerful, borderline unkillable SC summons WILL win you the game, but with your population dropping like a rock, you're likely to die midgame with lagging money, resources, and blood slaves. Even Early Game is a challenge. This is compounded by the fact that despite being giants, their units aren't all that good.

But Rocket!
I thought we were friends.

Thanks for the info. Are there any strategies for minimizing the effects of population eating?

Like keeping your researchers in a low-pop province with a lab rather than the capital or something?

their researchers don't kill population, that'd be fucked

Just because I cast Astral Corruption doesn't mean we aren't friends.

You can expand pretty easily with chariots.
Early blood hunting is going to be done with Melqarts or Baals since they can get lots of slaves even in crappy provinces. Don't blood hunt with Kohens until you can make Sanguine Dousing Rods.

My bad, I was looking at one of their 15 research mages and didn't realize they were StR, so I assumed you used them to research, and they eat like ~50 people a turn.

You can stick them in a wasteland since they don't actually need supplies. Your researchers aren't going to be the actual hungry giants themselves, they're the other, smaller giants that happen to be decent mages anyway. The other option is to just go full scales and ignore the rephaites, and use dawn guard as your main troops instead since they're actually fairly decent.

An erf snek can do everything you'd want Man-Eater to do but better. And you can get more scales + minor bless for sacred mages on top of that. You don't need E/B crosspath on your pretender, just need to forge Earth Boots for an E1 Warlock.

You pretty much just want Dawn Guards when you need magic weapons. They're 45 gold, and you have infantry with comparable stats for 30 gold that also have javelins

Man Eater has better mobility (though amphib is a plus) and having an actual Father Illearth caster is nice.

Although yeah mostly it was just a "not erfsnek" option.

Does Dragons still need to be on 48h turn timers? If that was the plan, kinda like Nobullies, and I missed that then no problem but I just want some turns.

1. Don't recruit Ba'als. They have very limted use and you'll never need 1-3 tops for certain spells/forging duty. It's almost always better to go for Melqarts if you need a blood mage.

2. your FAES 200% mage is actually a very good battle mage and can carry you for awhile due to their High HP and decent fighting ability. If you can squeeze A4 on your pretender chassis of choice it makes the A2s a lot better and you can basically become a psuedo-T strike nation.

IF you rely on your reserach/battle mages and chariots early on you can survive till early mid game. If you get boosters for your A's and Get strong E magic you have a real shot making it till end game, especially if you get a E2 melqart which will be your go-to SC chassis

Is it really worth it to get an A4 bless when you only get the A2 mage variant 25% of the time?

I know you spam a lot of them, so you're bound to get a few but it seems weird to spend points on that.

Kinda stuck on pretender design atm actually. I think growth 3 is a given, but I'm not sure if I should go for scales/big bless/awake expansion pretender is the best way to go. I get a lot of mixed info from reading forum posts about Hinnom. Lot of people say the sacred troops are unsustainable/not worth their cost.

Hinnom's expansion with ponies is fantastic, so you take an awake iff you want to get super massive early on.

I like an N9 imprisoned with scales, since it's cheap, useful for thugging, and still ok on Se'ir

you don't get the A4 for the bless. You get it for the booster. the S/F/Es can boost themselves up but the A2s will always be reglated to crap duty unless you get that one guy who can cast storm, so you either rely on your A4 hero or get a pretender to forge A4 or the Winged helm Air booster.

Also Scales are a given, your a nation is hungry for gold 24/7. I go O3P2/H3/G3 minimal. You consider dom 5/6 since you can sacrifice and you won't be recruiting sacreds anyway.

Typical builds are N9 full scales, N9E4 with good scales, A4 Pure scales, or just plan old super scales

Hey admin, Agartha requested an extension for the current turn

Thanks for the advice.

I'm still not familiar with a lot of the staples of each magic path, so forging air boosters and the ability to cast storm didn't occur to me.

How is EA Atlantis supposed to research? Their cheapest mage is 210 (Non sacred) and their only other mage is 400 plus gold str but sacred.

Recruit Indy mages? Or just go for the big guys (who have about the same upkeep as the *cheap* 210 ones.

Your basalt kings are cap only, and you max-recruit them for combat because big E is great.

Yes, your mages are expensive for research. It's unfortunate, but they're pretty good mages overall and it's nice to have lots of them when you're ready to mobilize them to fight

my suggestion is you stop being a little bitch

Obviously you recruit all three. Basalt Kings because they're great, str and cap only so you need to recruit them constantly to have enough. Mages of the Deep because that's what your other UW forts can make and you need lots of mages. Plus they can get astral and do some useful things with that. Any indie mage with an actual higher gold-to-RP-ratio usually also has non-national paths, so you should get them as well.

EA Atlantis is garbage

Which nation would be strongest if they could recruit their cap-only mages from any fort.

MA/LA Abysia

Fomoria

I want to say Fomoria, but LA Abysia has a pretty good edge, and you've got the likes of Neifelheim and EA Caelum as well.

Most EA nations become retardedly powerful if you give them cap-only mages from any fort desu

EA Atlantis is fine

EA Atlantis is arguably the strongest UW nation.