Is it possible to start off as a janitor and end up as CEO?

Is it possible to start off as a janitor and end up as CEO?

only on Veeky Forums

You can Colin Powell it, but it's hard as shit.

Didn't Jim carry start as a janitor and is now worth some 150mil? Youncan do anything as long as you work right, work smart, know when to change professions/business model and adapt to the changing times.

I think you're thinking of Tim Allen, who used to be a drug mule.

Google it fampai

He worked with his family in their cleaning business. Kept things from being depressing with his humor, that he likely developed as a coping mechanism from his depressing as fuck life.

He also married someone as sad as him who then killed herself and I imagine he wonders why he has not done the same pretty regularly.

Well maybe not CEO but lots of people have gone from being low end workers to becoming very successful.

Not anymore, no. My ex's dad was in jail for murder, got pulled into Nam to murder for the government, and then worked as a mailroom grunt at EMC. Fifteen years later he was head of HR for the whole fucking company until he jumped ship for a job that realized he was a shit and fired him a year later.

Not CEO, but he's like one or two steps from him. Google Mike Rodgers Emcor Government Services (think the dudes that manage like the HVAC, mechanical and janitorial services within buildings). He started out as a mechanic himself and worked his way up to president.

Got sidetracked. Her dad, while head of HR, put a block on managerial promotions unless the person had the relevant degree to limit his competition. He got the idea from a buddy of his at IBM.

Boomers actually did fuck you, on purpose.

It is a lifetime achievement. I started in a jewelry and watch company cleaning glass and jewelry, and worked my way up through sales and management, and now I'm a head supervisor in the main office. I'm 38 and I make around 120k a year. I perform really well and my job is in no real danger of bring taken and I recieve pretty steady raises. Just be patient and work hard, user.

My dad was homeless because didn't ever want to be a wagie and is now the CTO of his own company.

I started off as a janitor at a janitorial company and ended up the CEO of that janitorial company.

so I guess.
sort of.

>falling for the American Dream meme

yeah bro

they'll totally let you move up and replace their spot

Ideal answer: Yes
Real answer: No, because corporations haven't figured out the value of recruiting from within yet.

It's probably gonna take decades before corporations realize that hiring wannabes from Wharton is objectively worse than promoting promising young talent from within.

More like janitors don't have any skills or knowledge

The assumption is that you don't go immediately from janitor to CEO, but it's a series of steps where you develop competency both in terms of hard skills and in terms of knowledge of the business.

This is what GE does, for example, though my understanding is that it's more complicated (you start at the bottom, have to eventually rotate through special programs and have specific jobs for so long, etc.)

Have you ever seen the film 'Flawless'?

Never trust the janitor

The father of a friend started cleaning windows and now is vicepresident of some kind of goverments building,dont know what they do but is big as fuck,took him 30 years tho

Sounds like someone didn't fall for the college meme?
Or the high school meme, for that matter.

you can, but you gotta do shit like go to school and get an education or whatever while you do it to allow to move up the ranks.

i know of a few retail store managers or area operations/sales managers that started at the bottom but stuck with the company for like 30 years while increasing their education/skills on the companys(partial) dime so yea. it can happen.

No

>buying into the ladder meme
You are supposed to hop jobs every 2-3 years to keep building your cv if you wanna tryhard