/xcg/ - XCOM General

You fell into another trap by Jake "fix your game" Solomon.

Previous Mission: News:
1)
XCOM 2 officially coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on September 6th.
>twitter.com/XCOM/status/740181548419272705?lang=en

2)
Alien Hunters DLC has been released on PC alongside a large patch, notably including various MP fixes. It's finally released on Mac as well.
>xcom.com/news/en-dangerous-ruler-aliens-await-in-xcom-2s-alien-hunters-dlc

3)
user dug up some Shen's Last Gift SDK assets, MECs are confirmed along with a bunch of other leaks:
>imgur.com/a/Z5aWQ

4)
Long War Studios are working on five more mods for XCOM2.
>xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods

5)
Julian Gollop is still working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/
>vg247.com/2016/06/02/phoenix-point-first-screenshot/

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

NEW STEAM COLLECTION, contains all Workshop-mods from the modlist:
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=689085703

MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains all 180 or so mods from the new modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

/xcg/'s Image Library:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

First for Consoles are useful

nth for filthy and guilty console port

>Jake "fix your game" Solomon.
Fuck that loser

SOLOMON! SOLOMON!

Consoles came into my general, disrespected my whole exclusive!

And you know what!? IT WAS YOU!

>mfw Firaxis decides to use my money to develop a console port and some shitty aesthetic DLCs instead of a new EW

>instead of a new EW
We're getting an EW style expansion anyway.

Yeah I doubt that at this point

I'll say it again because I don't have enough knowledge to say otherwise, but doesn't this just make it a PC port?
X2 isn't anymore casualized then X1 was in comparison when released, and I'm not sure I buy the concept that Firaxis would have made a smooth running game otherwise.
I guess I just want some actual evidence beside, "lel you've been tricked."

pistols are useful

Anyway this will be the discussion for the next who knows how long with ridiculous assumptions and arguments about why this is why everything is shit, so time to bunker down irregardless of whatever the facts end up being.

I NEVER PORTED ON NOBODY!

I NEVER PORTED ON NOBODY!

Why? They said if the DLCs and game was successful they'd make it

I hope consolefags buy it because i'm not, i don't care if i'm being a baby fuck Jake.

Don't worry, it'll be passed by tomorrow.

>dumping money into a doomed console release

This had to have been planned from the beginning seeing as it's only been a few months since launch. Were they planning on making console players jealous with the pretend "PC only" release so that the console release would get more sales?

Yes.

>soon this place will be filled with consoleplebs

Does anyone here actually know anything about how long it takes to port to console? I genuinely do not know, and would like to know. I'll go google in the meantime.

about ten minutes if you don't care

It's already been filled with consoleplebs... For 30 minutes.

Depends on the dev, the porting team is apparently a relatively small group of ex-Treyarch devs

Considering it's Unreal Engine 3, which was designed with consoles in mind, probably not that hard. Especially considering the previous game was on consoles and worked just fine.

>...

>...
You tried to fit in, consolepleb, but only ousted yourself out in the process.

Who else is excited to finally play xcom 2 for the first time because they are a filthy console peasant here?

Don't be

I would be if I didn't already see the end game stuff was basically the same as the Xcom 1 endgame stuff and not like super higher tech.
I guess I have to wait for expansion again.

Can we make a console xcom general to keep the plebs out?

>Skyranger is in Russia
>need to send it to Alaska
>starts flying WEST

GOOD JOB JAKE

>general
just redirect to /v/

So then why does anyone care? It comes out in September. I guess I just don't care, as long as its actually a PC Port to console. The important part was it being developed initially for PC release, not that it would be forever a PC exclusive.

there's controller icons on the sdk

yeah no shit, it's unreal engine assets

They could also be leftovers from EW.

But that's no fun.

Is there seriously no mod that removes the blue concealment smoke/vignetting effect?

>tfw you even bought the dlcs

I care because it means the PC version has to play by the Console version's "rules" because they can't fuck over the console players.

At least we have mods.

>mfw didnt buy the deluxe, havent bought the DLC
>probably wont buy Shen's Last Anal Dildo either

>Legendary first mission
>Heavy misses three (3) 80% shots
>2 soldiers gravely wounded because of this
>He smiles all the way back home

Guess who will tank the lancers later :^)

Reminder that it's not Jake "The Guardian" Solomon's fault.

jake died for our sins

Reminder that it is.

I knew /v/ would leak here

PC fanboys are like little kid mentality. They will talk mad shit when they think they have an upper hand in some way, but when that leverage, so to speak, is gone. Silence.

Just a reminder how hard their shitposting was when consoles didn't have a release date. Now that they do, they shut their mouths and give the old, acceptence speech.

The unique IPs counter didn't go up

How about now :^)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA PCFAGS FUCKING BTFO

Wrong place buddy.

How does it feel to be gulping down sony's dick pcucks? You are literal worthless nobodies and your precious game isn't exclusive to your shit turd pic any longer.

This is certainly a reason to be mad. The reason that Xcom 2's PC exclusivity was good was so it wouldn't be held back by console limitations. We could have huge areas, large number of enemies, tons more textures loaded at once.

If this was planned from the beginning and wasn't just 2k bugging Firaxis to do it later. It means that the PC version isn't as robust as it could be, still held back by shitty consoles.

Course the opposite could still be true. The console port could be heavily downgraded. They certainly won't be able to handle a large number of enemies at once without the game starting to chug along and it won't look nearly as good and if the port is bad, then Firaxis doesn't take the blame since they are only assisting and it's up to a third party

Just report and move on lads.

Of course it didn't, it's literally one PC player shitposting.
Just ignore him you retards.

EXALT
X
A
L
T

SUCK MY COCK /XCG/ I ASKED LIKE 3 DAYS AGO AND YOU SAID NEVER EVER

Wonder if the amount of shitposting is lower on reddit and if the difference is worth the normieposting.
The vg communities are quite shit when it comes to post on the subject. vg really needs ids.

>vg really needs ids.
I think Reddit really is the right place for you

we've been doing just fine right until the console announcement. and the shitposting here is very tame.

>Wonder if the amount of shitposting is lower on reddit
it probably is

>and if the difference is worth the normieposting.
it's never worth the normieposting.

>vg really needs ids.
wew

Reddit is far worse for actual discussion because unpopular opinions just get drowned out by downvotes. It's nothing but a hugbox.

>Veeky Forums needs ids

Just go to reddit

>Veeky Forums really needs ids
Hey, Reddit. Enjoy your stay. Swing by /tesg/ you might like them better, you can trip and attentionwhore to your hearts content.

How does 2 compare to LW? I found all the different facets of builds and classes a little overwheming to have all at once after jumping in straight from EU. Does 2 spread it out at all or am I just going to have to git gud and look it all up?

But without IDs there is no way you can tell that I did reply 5 times to your post.

2 and LW are completely different. 2 is a lot less difficult and complicated than LW

Thank you user, I needed this

>being appalled by ids
Yeah, it was fun shitposting and samefagging with no issues that people might call out your shit back in 200X but we had nothing better back then.

>upvotes are bad
Sure they are. They only work for the Q&A format.

I keep coming back to vg exclusively when I find a new game to play, but the shitposting of old memes by teens is a true boner-killer.

In the meantime, are there any Crysis mods floating around?

You're wrong

Literally just go to reddit. I don't even mean that condescendingly, but if they have the system you want, then why not be there?

Each system has its own pros and cons, I hang out here because I prefer it, but I'll check the Xcom reddit now and then to see if they have something we missed. If you can't see the pros and appeal of the Veeky Forums layout, well that's too bad.

I have not personally noticed any crysis mods.

He's not.

Just use a standard forum or reddit, its everything you want

I was under the impression that 2 took quite a few ideas from LW. And from what I've seen of LW, I don't doubt that 2 has less complexity and difficulty than LW. I'd just like to know how much this is the case

>I don't doubt that 2 has less complexity and difficulty than LW. I'd just like to know how much this is the case

2 has less complexity then EU.
LW is a fairly large step up from EU.

2 is more complex than EU, its about on par or less complex than EW

I'd say X2 is about as complex as EU. One could argue X2 is less complex then EW, but its not by much.

The biggest actual difference is how harshly X2 punishes overwatch camping and moving a tile at a time, but that's a tactical change.

>Teens

Only memes spouted by mature individuals are the true form of humor.

>2 has less complexity then EU.
Come on now no need to shitpost.

>no airgame
>no management of any kind

It's not shitposting if it's true.

There used to be a persistent poster who claimed that, he probably came back for the announcement.

Hey famiglia, hella neat screenshot you have there

>airgame
>complexity
I said don't shitpost. Maybe you have forgotten how trivial it was in vanilla.

>console xcom 2 is going to have full mod support
expect lots of angry consolefags whining about how modders won't transfer their mods over to consoles.

The xcom2 map scanning airgame is just as complex as the EU/EW airgame.

And you're shitposting about the management.

it was trivial yes but it was something.
2 you have what? A doom counter that you set back by just playing the game.

You had to buy fighters, satellites and make sure they didn't blow up/had enough fighter cover

I'm not saying EU was the pinnacle of strategy but come on, 2 is linear as fuck as far the as strategy layer goes.

>2 you have what? A doom counter that you set back by just playing the game.
Ok you're shitposting, thank you

>put forth an argument
>WAAAH shitposter!

/xcg/, /xcg/ never changes.

I'll be glad when consoleshits shit up this general.
XCOM 2 was a mistake.

>2 is linear as fuck as far the as strategy layer goes.
And so is EU. Even if (if) the strategic layer was slightly more complex, that wouldn't make it more complex then X2. Any differences are really negligible.

Or maybe he just has a different opinion.

>Or maybe he just has a different opinion.
Except its obviously untrue and then he made this comment. If someone says something designed to stir shit that is obviously wrong its fairly obvious what they're trying to do

you're the only shitposter here

what he's saying is true though. there's tons of story based quests that can remove the counter.
>blacksite
>codex
>avatar
>forge
as for EW you only have the alien base assault and some random chance of having one.
power management is very easy and there's only two times you need to worry about positioning "power relays and workshops.

maybe it's a polarizing point of view to take? please don't be the guy that argues for ids because then Reddit is the perfect place for you.

I don't agree.
>If someone says something designed to stir shit that is obviously wrong its fairly obvious what they're trying to do
It could be but you don't know that, its not an uncommon opinion. Its not even that big of a deal, some people liked X1 better then 2. That's fine.

Complexity isn't even a really good measure of something. og x-com is way more complex than both of these games, but alot was unnecessary and didn't make contribute to what made it a great game.

>maybe it's a polarizing point of view to take?
Its not a point of view, he's flat out lying about xcom2 to complain about it. Theres more than just the doom counter to the xcom 2 strategy layer and even then the doom counter after the patches is more complex than just do the story missions and the odd facility mission.

>please don't be the guy that argues for ids because then Reddit is the perfect place for you.
What the fuck does that have to do with anything?

I'm not criticising him for his opinion, I'm criticising the fact he's lying about the features of xcom2 just to whine about it.

If I said EU had no strategy layer beyond "do the alien base" it'd be clear what my intentions are.

For me it kind of balances out - strategically, EU has a leg up in terms of complexity. I love both 2 and EU, but that's just the way it is imo. However, there's no arguing that XCOM2 has a considerably deeper tactical game. It solved the biggest design flaw with the last game, namely that any good player had to advance at the pace of a fucking snail. Timers were a great way of counteracting that.

But all you're saying is that he's wrong, you aren't saying WHY.

> just do the story missions and the odd facility mission.
and pick minor or major breakthrough to minimize the doom counter. that's all there is to it. you don't have to balance panic countries that lost contact can be reestablished, there's no airgame to add another layer to complexity, base building is brain dead compared the first one.

Because saying the only part of the xcom 2 strategy layer is the doom ticker is obviously absurd I didn't think I needed to but if you need to me to walk you through the strategy layer I will.

Scanning is about making strategic choices about what you need in a limited amount of time.
With the recent patches you do need to put strategic thought into your scans and contacts otherwise you'll lose to the doomticker
Base management is on par with vanilla EU
Dark Events require strategic thought into what you can't realistically deal with

The airgame and EU strategy layer was no more complex than the xcom2 strategy layer, theres arguments for EW because of MECs, gene mods and Exalt but not EU

You obviously haven't played in a while.

>Dark Events require strategic thought into what you can't realistically deal with
>Hidden event

but delaying the officer skulljack is still the best way of playing the game. you don't have to deal with codex early and when you gain plasma and run and gun which will makes codex's clone ability a non issue.
that's retarded, since most of the time the scans are worthless and it's better to prioritize taking the improved build time bonus

>Hidden event
>literally 20 intel to see what it is

You do know all you need to take out a Codex is a flashbang? It's pretty simple even with ballistics.

>since most of the time the scans are worthless and it's better to prioritize taking the improved build time bonus
A lot of the time they're not and thats part of the strategy, you really sound like you haven't played since before the patch and going by how you used to cry about this constantly I think thats true.

Its almost like theres a strategic choice in choosing whether to spend intel on revealing it.

>needing to delay codex till plasma to deal with them