/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Post progress.

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread: >New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U03XXzcThGU
2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/
screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175174
huiontablet.com/huion-h610pro.html
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8075717
youtube.com/watch?v=Bspb9g9nTto
youtube.com/watch?v=bSGfSl2XMAc
youtube.com/watch?v=8R06ODEJkcE
youtube.com/watch?v=jmEAYVKDymk
spriters-resource.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Someone asked for gamedev videos in the last thread. I wish to add one of my favourites, since it will clear up a lot of confusion around Entity-Component Systems design.

Caves of Qud's data driven design talk from IRDC youtube.com/watch?v=U03XXzcThGU

It sure does.

i want to learn how to sing but i don't wanna use my vocal chords what do???

give up.

Either too slow or not enough is happening at once.

Post with trip #rocket to join team rocket

Our game will win Space Jam!

Every single person ever wants to do or make cool shit. The difference between people that are actually great and the average useless faggot is their will to actually make it happen

If you really want it, then stop hoping for shortcuts and saying "one day" and just do what you know you have to do.

Faggot.

Didn't see the new, reposting from dead thread:

Sorry for the late reply!
Was replying to an email from Michiru Yamane's manager! :O

Haha, but no, really - I've figured out a lot of ways to filters and layers and MS Paint brushes to easily produce things in a very mechanical way. I'm sure a lot of it can be done by recipe!

>I hope you don't mind if I ask, but aren't you currently working on a specific project? Posting those logos on your tumblr has given me the feeling that you're part of some sort of indie team.
Yes, trying to make a Castlevania-like (metroidvania). I'm working with just one other guy, but we're setting up a small company and I'm going to try to work full-time on this for at least 6 months. Might fail horribly, but I don't really care about anything else in life, so it's worth it to me.

>I don't know how it'll make you feel, but I'm currently trying to create a cemetery with your gravestones and naked angels and skellingtons and walls which you've posted on your tumblr. After some digging I've found some which scale and scroll well. Pls don't sue me. ;_;
Man, that's just extremely flattering! Please use it for anything (as long as you don't sell it without asking me first).
Would also really like to see what you produce with it!

you've been posting this same sprite for days

now you've made an "idle animation" that basically involves selecting half your sprite and dragging it down 1 pixel, repeatedly

i'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but:

- giving feedback on this sprite without context is hard/pointless (i.e. what environment will it be in? what do the other characters/enemies/etc look like?)
- you don't need to come running back here after every minor thing you do - try experimenting on your own and once you have something *you* like, post it here

>rewrite ladder code
>now it actually works, it supports moving around freely, and moving ladders
Holy fuck, that took longer than it should, although a bit of the time spent was making moving ladders work.

Now I've just got to figure out why the variables won't set in the fucking creation code, holy shit.

The sprite is really small so is not going to be easy to make subtle movements for it, like the ones you want for a idle stance. You'll need to learn about sub-pixel animation to convey that effect.
It seems difficult first, but once you catch it you will have great results.
2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/

Alright, sorry for spamming. I'm just new at this and I can't tell if I'm doing good or not.

How do I into physics?

>Catlevania-like
Yeah, that's why your work has stolen my hearth right from the beginning. I hope you'll finish it! Michiru Yamane – I wish I would have a reaction image to this.

>produce things in a very mechanical way
Even if that's true, don't worry. Look at what said. Not everyone has the will to do it, no matter how easy it'll become after practicing it for some time. Even if they do learn how to do it, it doesn't mean that they actually like doing it, so they still rather let someone else work on the art if they can. So don't worry, you'll always have a job.

>see what you produce with it
Thanks for being okay with this, I'll post when I've made some progress.

It took a lot longer than I thought but I figured out the general pipeline for adding new enemies. It's still pretty obnoxious and I think I can make it better somehow, though I'm not sure yet. I couldn't find a way to store animations as variables for blueprints, so I have to copy/paste the anim graph for every enemy, which will be terrible if I ever need to change it. I think there's a way to do it in C++ but that seemed hard for now.

I also wasted like 2 hours trying to figure out why my attack/death code wasn't working. It turns out the code was fine, but apparently it relies on the enemy have a physics actor. Once I added them, everything worked fine.

Still not sure how to sync the walk animation and movement speed. I have a movement speed I want, so I'm trying to scale the animation speed to match, but it's mostly just guess/check.

>that took longer than it should
The things which seems to be the easiest ends up to be the hardest to implement. Or at least this is always the case for me.

Really motivating stuff! Thanks!

>So don't worry, you'll always have a job.
Ha ha, well, I'll give the tutorial stuff a go next month, then. I have a bunch of simple tricks lined up which should make for easy-to-follow short tutorials.

>Thanks for being okay with this, I'll post when I've made some progress.
Looking forward to it!

Got to go now, so replies after this one will probably be pretty late.

2 hours of reading legal advice later, we're getting somewhere. Thank god for built-in noise function, becausse i can't understand it at all.

Honestly, I'm just happy I got it finished, because I've essentially finished the basics for one of my gameplay features which is climbing onto monsters DD/SotC style.

Now I've just got to figure out that last part. I have no idea what's going on with that, and it's annoying me that I can't change it so that each platform can have different speeds etc.

Looks perfect like this.

How often should I update my game online?
I believe I managed to fix all the bugs people reported, and improved the main mechanics. Still wanna test it for a while before uploading it though, but I'm curious if an update like that would be worth the download, or uf I should add new content before releasing it.

Only sings songs written solely from Consonants which don't require vocal cords to pronounce

Post inspiration for space jam

It's colliding with itself.
If you didn't realize.

So that's what kids call masturbation nowadays

I think you might want to move away from the noise function.

screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/175174

Can you imagine going to a zoo and watching the rhinos do exactly that?

>had a 10/10 idea for a game
>not even dreaming big, it could get a 100k kickstarter at least with the right presentation
>can't fucking draw at all
>the game would require incredibly complex code; and would probably have to be done in a low-level language to compensate for the processor usage
>confident that I could do it code-wise, though I can't use C and it would be a humongous pain in the ass
>would also need really great sprite artists and animators
>don't want to share the idea because it's so good

Just fucking kill me please. Either that or recommend me a platform/language that can make a theme-hospital-esque game without much difficulty GUI-wise while also not being hugely processor intense.

I know about that, that's because the "seed" is just a pseudorandom float, i will be updating on that later. The function itself is fine.

More terrain!

>wake up 8:00am
>decide to just have a fap because devving
>finally finish
>it's 11:30am
Fuck.
I guess I'l just have another before I go make dinner.

>not dreaming big
>incapable of doing either the art or the coding
>confident about doing code but can't code
whew brah, that's some mighty delusion you've got there

>confident that I could do it code-wise
>though I can't use C
>it would be a humongous pain in the ass
Sounds like you couldn't m8.
>Theme park game
RPGmaker

>huion graphic tablet with screen connects through 1.1 usb
okay, what's the trick there?

Blinking implemented. I can say my game is now complete.

>Oh man, I know so much more about SFML and game programming now!
>Better start a project of my own and used what I learn to make arkanoid clone!
>The only progress I've made is make a couple of header files

user no
I like your game. The gameplay looks fun and unique.
You don't need a story, you just need nice levels. Do you need help for those?
I believe in you.

Ideally, a finished game should get into the website's "completed AGDG games", as a sort of consecration.

Holy fuck this looks exciting. How do you make placeholders look so good, that's some witchcraft right here.

dude. take a few days off from devving and come back later to implement some proper particles.

Damn he looks very angry

I know my limitations and abilities, I've used C and languages like it before, it's just that coding an actual game from the ground up in one would, as I said, be a gigantic pain in the ass.
>RPGmaker
I have no idea if RPGmaker even supports this, but if it does, I'm sure that it's still probably too slow.

Bunny a qt

Juicing will come last. I have to implement gameplay first. Yes, blinking is gamepay

hard work and guts

What kind of idea could ask for so much power? A shit ton of objects? Super detailed 3D models? Or a better question would be: Why can't you think about optimizing properly? or use a lot of tricks to make it less resource intensive?

+no AA
+mega jaggies

So, I take it, noone would be interested in this?

>implying the alias and jaggies aren't the best part

>it could get a 100k kickstarter at least with the right presentation
>don't want to share the idea because it's so good
That doesn't make sense at all.

>Copyright the idea
>Save money
>get the right presentation
>Kickstart the idea and ask more than 100k
>Use the money to pay the coders, artists, and animators
>If someone tries to steal your money start legal actions and get even more money.

Try adding a cute girl

>USB:
>USB was designed to standardize the connection of computer peripherals (including keyboards, pointing devices, digital cameras, printers, portable media players, disk drives and network adapters) to personal computers, both to communicate and to supply electric power.
It can transmit data no problem. Just check if the tablet is intended for USB 3.0 use or not.

The trick could be that it has a slow refreshrate.
5000LPI on a 10'x6.25' screen is 312500 pixels.
312500*24 bits =7500000bits (RGB, you won't do alpha blending on the tablet)
USB 2.0 transfers at a maximum of 480Mbps
7.5 megabits
So the maximum refreshrate of that tablet is 64hz (64fps) over USB 2.0 unless they're doing some videocomrpession (which they very well could). And that's ignoring the computer-pen communication (though that's rather insignificant).

It's plausible. I assumed you were thinking of this tablet:
huiontablet.com/huion-h610pro.html

>had a 10/10 idea for a game
>would also need really great sprite artists and animators
>2D game
kek

because the type of person who thinks you need to use C to make an optimized game, and refers to language choice rather than architecture as a limitation or concern, has little to no idea what they're talking about

>I have no idea if RPGmaker even supports this, but if it does, I'm sure that it's still probably too slow.
user you're keeping your idea secret. And I doubt you have any clue about how much a computer can churn through.

Also you said it's 2D. So the rendering isn't really an issue.

Well, obviously, if it's part visual novel it's going to have some cute girls in it. You'd just have to live with them being ascii art.

>user has this amazing project that he doesn't even want to risk sharing any details of
Keep going user. Write a game design document and find funding to complete this amazing project.

1. There isn't enough contrast between your shades of red/yellow/white.
It's like your using just 1 shade of red/yellow/white, you need to brighten the bright colors and darken the dark colors.
2. Use hue shifting. See pic related. It'll look better than uniform red/yellow/grey.
3. Debatable point: I think your colors are too bright. Tone down the intensity slightly.
4. There's a lone, raised pixel at the top of the picture. It hints at something ugly: Your sprite isn't symmetrical around the middle.
5. Lighting doesn't make sense. It's like a sort of pillow shading, where you added some extra pixels here and there to make sure no one would notice.
6. Some of your lines are weird. You know when you've got a line of 2x1 pixels, and then suddenly there's a 1x1 in the middle? Yeah, that. It looks ugly. Also, square corners. These are no good. (Right next to the thrusters.)

You tried, and that's great. I can post a slightly improved version of your ship later if you'd like. Do you need any clarifications on anything?

Is there any way to layer animations or something in blender? I want to create nice followthrough and overlapping action, but getting them to loop is hard. (So something like pic related, where I would like to animate the tail and walking seperately

I'll admit, I actually don't have much of an idea as to how much power it would actually require, but I DO know that dwarf fortress regularly gives slowdown, and that this game would be something like it (although admittedly without the environmental simulations such as water shit). Essentially, you manage an area with up to 200+ characters on it, all of which need thier own AI and pathfinding, etc. They aren't sheep either, they have different personalities and needs and build friend/relationships, so the decicion trees could get pretty complex.

Not sure how well it would work, especially considering how vague the idea is.

Its isometric.

But would it be fun?

>but I DO know that dwarf fortress regularly gives slowdown
That's because Dwarf fortress wasn't designed with that in mind. And there's been no real effort to
news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8075717

>200+
That's a really small number user. Call me back when you have 1 million _at least_.
>all of which need thier own AI and pathfinding
Depends on the depth of the pathfinding. There's plenty of algorithms that allow you to navigate such a small number of entities efficiently. I doubt it'd even be a performance concern but you could do a vector field pathfinder in conjunction with waypoints.
youtube.com/watch?v=Bspb9g9nTto
>personalities
Response based or is it important that they evaluate their options every tick?
>decision trees
That'd be a terrible implementation.

So how many pages of ideas do you have so far? I'm assuming you're smart enough to not assume that every idea you attempt will be good.

okay idea guys
give me your ideas, so that i can make them and then not credit you

someone already stole my idea
youtube.com/watch?v=bSGfSl2XMAc

Incredibly, even if you don't have autism.

I don't think the pathfinding would be horribly complex, it's an isometric game and you build the layout of the area yourself, though I'm on the fence about whether or not friendly units can freely move over one another or not. I guess they'd pretty much have to out of combat, but it might be jarring when they suddenly can't in the middle of fights.
>Response based or is it important that they evaluate their options every tick?
They certainly wouldn't need to evaluate things every single tick, I know that much at least.

>So how many pages of ideas do you have so far? I'm assuming you're smart enough to not assume that every idea you attempt will be good.
I've got enough shit in my head to write tens of thousands of words, and I say that as someone who's done just that for other game ideas. I've thought about it a lot but I'm a little hesitant to put pen to paper, as again, I'm still heavily considering the feasibility of everything.

>200+ characters
>own AI and pathfinding
> have different personalities and needs and....
assuming all will be running in the same scene... good luck with that
maybe wait until quantom cpus are the norm?
or make it pixel art, maybe incredibly lowpoly.

>I'm still heavily considering the feasibility of everything.
Sounds like a great time to put it into text.

>suttle

Good info for newbies though.

There definitively is, check out the NLA editor, never used it myself but i'm very sure there is something built in to overlap actions, but haven't done it myself so can't to much more than direct you to google.

Platformer/survival kinda of game, a girl has to survive all atempts against her life by people surrounding her.
She will be drawn with your tipical indishiet graphics style, rectangular body, long head, 1 pixel thick arms and legs. All the enemies look like balls with small heads, hands and feet. As you progress in the game all the other characters will look more and more normal until they have perfect human anatomy and proportions, Main character is drawn always on indishie style because she is anorexic and is starving herself to death, turns all the enemies are her family and doctors trying to save her.. The internet will fucking love it.

how many hours does it take to make something like that? modeling + anim (+ texturing?)

can I have your permission to steal your idea?

Only if you promise to show me you progress.

>do that
>end up putting pages of effort into something that will never get made

Not really.

I made it better.

>mondaymorning.webm

I can almost see the pain in its eyes

The skull took maybe 3 hours for me to modell as I'm inexperienced, and fucking unwrapping it was a nightmare, but I reuse the skull everywhere. The legs took maybe 10 minutes, and that animation maybe 20 minutes. Been fiddling with blender on and off for a year though. As for texturing it depends. I mostly use substance painter with my tablet, which essentially means I most of the time only have to fiddle around with some settings and then clean up the seams. The skull in this picture took maybe 30-40 min texturing using that method.

Its all about training, can easily say that since I started devving the past 2 months my speed for modelling and animation has doubled. So i'd say I can easily finnish most enemies I'm planning to do in 6 hours (the modelling, wrapping, rigging + animations and textures). Then implementing them in game I'm still unsure of, probably also around 6 hours.

Nice bro! Try fiddling with having more than one collision box per bone to make it deflate less.

playable demo when?

Just saw that pyxel edit was added to the website, good work lad

hard to decide lol
okay then, will post here if I set my mind to it, but I am changing the concept a bit.

Sure!

Improved event handling, can spawn shadows and play sounds of objects that aren't actually there and do that only for selected units. Can use that for a paranoia debuff.

Nice mechanic.

me irl

Since you decided to turn the player into an american, i suggest you retile your maps with reinforced tiles.

Would make for a good "bop" with a club animation. Save it for when you make a mace.
Sword needs to SLASH. Sideways.

Not either of these anons, but I was fucking around with this just cause

Not only I need help for the level design, but I need help to get back to work. Since I have no idea how to make a goal for my game, I have no goal for making it... (I don't know if that makes sens)

Hide the colliders and add the AGDG logo pls.

>did a bunch of editing
>didn't save it before uploading

well I'm dumb

I thought it was a guy in a tracksuit dual wielding pistols at first glance

So decided to build a game, too. A local couch multiplayer game because that means I don't have to create as much content as for a single player game. Also I have friends over for gaming all the time.

But it's so much work... According to github I've written 3000 lines of code but it's barely playable yet. Also doing coding and graphics and sounds... It's just so slow.

I'm already thinking about quitting again...

Which is official code documentation always trash?
>need to learn about some csharp feature
>look at the microsoft manual
>simple example is like 200 line of code implementing advanced completely useless other features
>have no fucking idea what they even mean by that
>look at some tutorial website
>feature explained perfectly with 10 line example and i understand it completely after reading it once

I'm trying to find a sprite sheet with the character in a top-down perspective with more than 3 frames for their walking animation. Can anyone help me out? Closest I could find was Minish Cap sprites but I need something a bit different.

I never understood people who whine about how much time they have spent or have to spend on something without any results.

If you want to work more efficiency then plan ahead, learn to manage your time and resources etc. There's a reason why good management is important to a company nowadays. Other than this, as the saying goes, just do it. Really. If you do it enough, by the 5th or 6th game you'll be making, you'll go trough these issues like a breeze. Experience is the key.

Other than this, it just doesn't make any sense. Everything in life is fucking worthless and meaningless. We do everything just to kill some boredom until it ends. Just have fun. You waste nothing since there's nothing to be wasted.

Cheer up, you fucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=8R06ODEJkcE

MS's docs are top tier for being shitty and confusing. That's not really typical from what I've seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=jmEAYVKDymk

3000 isn't even that much.

You mean true top down like Hot Line Miami, or tilted top down like the Zelda games?

I know that opengameart.org is a mixed bag, but if you have the right search words, you can actually find some very useful and good stuff.

Other than that, have you been on this site: spriters-resource.com/ ?

Why are spaceships so fucking cool?