What tactics did ancient Chinese military use? What armor and weapons...

What tactics did ancient Chinese military use? What armor and weapons? I tried to google it and found fuck all just a bunch of MMORPG tier bullshit.

Other urls found in this thread:

greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/12/chinese-infantry-tactics-p1.html
upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/The_Grand_Review_-_No.3_-_Reviewing_Battle_Formation.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh I get it so dumb ''Hitler did nothing wrong'' and ''swords suck'' threads are ok but asking actual history related questions doesn't cut it on this board? You fucking faggots.

I'd answer dude but I don't know. This board has proven to be much slower than others so be patient.

Guess semi bump. Don't know much about Chinese warfare. Speaking without any authority, it seems like it was a lot of spear armed infantry supported by bows. I'd like to know more about their renowned engineers and siege weapons.

You got it.
This board is about nazism and trolling,

You should remade your thread in a trolling way, such as "Chinese weapondry is far better than Western one, they could have conquered Europe if wanted" or "Chinese military, no wonder they didnt win any war ever".
And I am just halfjoking.

not trying to sound like someone who barley knows the topic.But you could read the art of war that tells some Chinese tactics. Also you could look up the cho ku nu or something like that.

Google Sun Tsu

Different eras had different tactics and strategies.
For most of its history, Chinese tactics were about fighting horsefuckers.

>''Hitler did nothing wrong''
Well, he didn't.

>What tactics did ancient Chinese military use?
Which dynasty, faggot?
>What armor and weapons?
Which dynasty, faggot?

See this is why your question sucks.
>I tried to google it and found fuck all just a bunch of MMORPG tier bullsh
A perfect illustration of how shitloads of Chink history is still not translated.

Can you give a short overview of differences between the dynasties?
For example:
Ching Chong dynasty used swords and close quarter combat
Chong Ching dynasty used bows and ranged combat

Just pick a date.
Google time period and find out the dynasty.

Lets say 200 CE. This is the Three Kingdoms Era. I'm sure many have heard of this, its been popularized in media due to many video games, movies, tv shows, anime, etc.

The main conflicts were the warlords formalized into three distinct states. Each vying for control of entirety of Han China. Wu, Shu, and Wei were the three main factions.

Wu for example, excelled in Naval warfare (defensive naval).
Wei were famous for their numbers and cavalry shock troops (well rounded).
Shu were also bit well rounded.

All of them used infantry, archers(and crossbows), fielded large navies and such.

I'll give you only the Dynasties I know.
>Shang Dynasty
FOLLOW MY CHARIOTS, INFANTRYMEN.
>Zhou Dynasty (Early Half)
FOLLOW MY CHARIOTS, INFANTRYMEN. Also Feudalniggery. And the dawn of the mounted Chink warrior.
>Zhou Dynasty (Latter Half)
Crossbows are hot.
>Warring States.
Think Pike And Shot, except halberds and crossbows. Chariots still around but are increasingly giving way to cavalry. Supply Depots become a thing. Sun Tzu -whoever he was- writes his shit allegedly at this time. First fancy siege weapons show up like catapults n shiet.
>Qin Dynasty
Lol feudalism sucks, check out my centralized army and mass production. Also check out my zero chariot usage. Cavalry nigger.
>Han Dynasty (Pre-Wang Mang)
Back to (Semi)feudalism boys. Main army exists with armies of regiona feudal families that survived Qin. Horse archers are awesome, lets include them in our main army and fuck the Nomads.
>Han Dynasty (Post-Wang Mang)
PRIVATE ARMIES, PRIVATE ARMIES EVERYWHERE. Invention of the Chinese Cataphract.
>Three Kingdoms
PRIVATE ARMIES, PRIVATE ARMIES EVERYWHERE. Intensive Naval Warfare for the first time in Chink history (in the Rivers though). Cao Cao's Tuntian system of Soldier-farmer-colonists set pattern for Chinese military up to the Nanbeichao.
>Jin & Nanbeichao Period.
Turkic Invasion leads to cavalry craze. Saber becomes extremely popular for cavalrymen. Fubing system of farmer-soldier starts.
>T'ang Dynasty
Centralized Army returns. Intensive recruitment of Foreigners (Refugee Persians, Central Asian Chinese Subjects), Chinese cavalry gets heavier, so does infantry, the Hanging Armor first shows up here. Saber craze hits lower ranks. Refinements to siege weapons and the appearance of the Triple Crossbow. Rotating Crossbow Volleys show up.

Thats as far as I know. The Ming & Qing is better recorded in English though and you can find sauces here. greatmingmilitary.blogspot.com/2015/12/chinese-infantry-tactics-p1.html

Read art of war, then come back with questions that dont take a book to answer.

The art of war is pretty nebulous to teach us anything about Chinese warfare since Sun Tzu was talking about general theory.

Though there are hints of it.
>Mention of crossbows.
>Supply Depoting was a thing in China before everyone else in the ancient BCs

>>>/wherever16yearoldscongegrate/

This post is correct.

To get any actual discussion you need to make a bait thread about whatever topic you want to discuss.

Mali? Make a thread about why Africa didn't develop.

Byzantium? Make a thread about how the Byzantine Empire is not Roman.

It's shit but it's the truth.

Really nice overview. I appreciate it.

You asked for tactics, thats exactly what the book answers

Fuck swords, dumb swordfag

It's because people here aren't that well knowledged about actual history so they can only resort to well established memes and inside jokes. Same thing with Veeky Forums

They used their population to their advantage.

You see, the Huns have a preset kill limit. Knowing this weakness, the Chinese sent wave after wave of their own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down. Then the emperor gives them shiny medals.

Art of War specifically mentions the formation of armies, the size of groups in order of magnitude. It discusses strategies employed during its time of compilations and such.

So if you read it fully, you'll get a general grasp of how large of an army the Chinese of the time could field. How the movements were done. How the organizations of the large armies were carried out. What the leadership structure was. And such.

Its a good book that will paint a broad picture and pull in all the small specific dynastic changes into a neat picture.

I dunno m8, Sun Tzu in the Art of War doesnt say "guys, crossbows up front, swordsmen at the flanks, pikes behind crossbows, and light infantrymen, board chariots and make ready for our flanking maneuver."

Did Sun Tzu even go to war?

Sunzi allegedly participated in the great war between Wu and Chu during the Warring States. Latter legend states he was even the commander of the Wu forces, his home state.

But you're wrong, the book is all examples of situations and the best tactics to employ to win / survive.

A military general/commander is what he was most likely. With some experience to book, so to speak.

Pretty good user

They used spears, chariots, mounted archers, crossbowmen, grenadiers (the medievil equivelent), and massed infantry. The premier infantry weapons where the spear and diao

Later on in the 1500s they developed muskets and used them well.

Here is an interesting battle formation painting from the Qing Dynasty, during Qianlong's reign (latter half of 17th Century).
>upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/The_Grand_Review_-_No.3_-_Reviewing_Battle_Formation.jpg
It's pretty cavalry heavy, but at center are infantrymen. Musketeers were up front, alongside light artillery pieces, some standing behind a red barricade. Spearmen are behind them.

The cavalry are at the rear, in the flanks, and between infantry formations. Since this was a time when many great wars of the Qing was fought in the Steppes, formation is cavalry heavy.