/edg/ - Elite Dangerous General

neetbux imminent edition

>Where do i buy x module/weapon for my ship?
High-tech systems have the best inventory, look there. The higher population the better.
(A good system is Ray Gateway, Diaguandri)

>What's this RES you guys talk about?
Resource Extraction site. spawns pirates and space cops that shoot each other. HAZRES in best left alone until you have a Vulture or better.

>Markets Tools:
eddb.io/trade/loops
elitetradingtool.co.uk/

>Markets Tools:
eddb.io/trade/loops
elitetradingtool.co.uk/

Other urls found in this thread:

rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/17/best-space-games/4/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZUh6qV7biB0
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76212
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

rip

What happened to the Star Citizen general? You can you walk around in other people's ships and fly around and stuff.

Yeah but it doesn't have VISION.

So where are the well paying missions? I wanna grind money so I can get myself a combat conda

Features like that only take you so far, especially when the core game is so broken.

Which is the reason why people who think walking around in your ships/stations is somehow going to make Elite so much better are fucking dumb. No amount of fluff is going to save the game if you don't improve core mechanics that bring people to the game in the first place. The AI being revamped was a step in the right direction, but it still needs polish since interdictions are still broken and the game only ever sends really high powered AI at you which can really make the game a chore.

>I wanna grind money so I can get myself a combat conda

Save yourself the pain and don't. All it will do is make you uninstall the game. The grind for the game for you should end at a Python, and Vultures are much more effective at fighting the new AI anyways. Then just have fun I guess until eventually you get money for an Anaconda. It is literally nothing special though and you will feel like shit for wasting your time.

Eh, I've had a Python for a while, fully outfitted for muh multipurpose too. I just want a Conda for when launchable fighters will be a thing

Vulture is best PvE ship now?
What weapon config should I use if I have to have gimballed ?

I'm really not trying to be a faggot and shit on your expectations, but I really wouldn't be that excited about launch fighters. It will probably be a terrible module that will weigh your ship down considerably, and will probably only be able to launch a single Condor that the AI will be able to pop in two hits due to their deadeye accuracy. I will be surprised if they allow you to launch two fighters at a time.

What would be nice is if FD made a dedicated carrier ship that could launch many fighters at once. This would actually break the ship linearity of the ship progression and start introducing dedicated logistic/support ships that would encourage people to wing up. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Don't take my word for it, I played VERY little of the new update, but I found that the Anaconda was woefully ineffective at fighting the new AI. They were simply too fast and could use their agility to make sure that would would never get your gimbals on them for more than a brief instant. The only way I could imagine using the Annie for PVE is using Engineer mods to give yourself a very strong alpha strike so that the AI would have very little time to react. Turrets would probably help too.

I used a Vulture with 2 gimbaled pulse and found it pretty fun. Invest in the strongest thrusters you can find. Put some hull reinforcement on it and have a SCB with you.

A carrier ship would be fucking great, like you said it would make wings actually fun, just jumping into a system and your mates get in the fighters and go fuck shit up would be great. Shame we'll never ever get it. Never ever.

One is slow as shit with Vision
One is literally a scam or developed by the most money sinking people in the world.

Star Citizen devs are THOSE guys at the office that probably take a break every 20 minutes and drive off home in their audi

Star Citizen is still slowly treading along

There's just not enough content yet to keep a worthy general up all the time

I haven't played since how shit it was at launch, I played with powerplay for like 10min, my ship was broke and my lasers did no damage. Support told me to sell my weapons and buy new ones. I was pretty mad so asked if they are taking the piss, they gave me money to buy new lasers. Game was still shit so I didn't play... Maybe I should stop blogging and just get to the point

Is there stuff to do yet? I just want like combat missions and stuff, to fly around being a dick etc. I'm currently in an Eagle but I heard I got some free ship or some shit for being in beta?

>not enough content
oh boy does that sound familiar.

>powerplay

There's your problem. Ftroop recently broke PowerPlay to the point where it isn't worth it in the slightest. You are constantly hounded by faction AI no matter where you go, and the simulation itself is entirely fucked to the point of no return. Powerplay is without a doubt one of the biggest blunders in the history of video game expansions, and that is no exaggeration.

>they gave me money to buy new lasers

They're desperate to keep players, holy shit.

>Is there stuff to do yet?

You can try to collect shit for engineer upgrades if you enjoy collecting mats at the whim of a RNG and then playing wheel of fortune for what upgrade you get. Otherwise the game is still pretty much the same. AI got a boost so they're much smarter now, which is either a good or a bad thing depending on who you ask.

Otherwise the game is basically the same.

Are we getting our 50million or not? Was it rolled back?

Powerplay on paper sounded like it had potential but it really does seem fucked. I just want a space game with stuff to fucking do that's fun reee. Can you at least make good dosh from piracy yet?

Also can you mod the UI yet? The mouse movement indicator they put in just before release fucking triggers me, that giant square that appears in the centre makes it so hard to keep on a target as you just obscure most of it

Why are you guys getting 50mil?

13 hours

>boot ED since I haven't played in a while
>go to RES to try out new AI I've heard so much about
>be Python with SCBs and all the bells and whistles
>spot mostly harmless python
>75k bounty
>not in a wing
>open fire with 3 large MCs and two med beams
>enemy python somehow parks itself on my ass
>instantly divert 4 pips to eng
>literally can't shake him
>shields down before SCB boots up
>emergency high wake out of there

what the fuck

I know I suck but seriously this is bullshit. I went from full shields to 1% hull in less than 15 seconds and never even stripped a single ring off the enemy's shields

Did you put 4 pepes in SYS?

IT'S LE DARK SOULS OF SPACE SIMS

GIT GUD :^)

Piracy is, paradoxically, one of the most fun and engaging things you can do, but you often operate at a loss because the earnings you get from it are so abysmal that you often have to go into the red to replenish any ammo you used or to repair your ship. And that's assuming you even manage to steal anyone's canisters at all.

Beyond changing the colors by modifying a config file, no, you cannot mod the UI.

Afk turreting at combat zones.

>nobody compliments OC pic I made for OP
Being OP is suffering

Sorry senpai, I've gotten so jaded to my existence I didn't even notice. But I really like it

The AI is supposed to scale with difficulty. I think the intention is for harmless/mostly harmless to have stayed at the same difficulty as pre-patch. I have found that Ftroop has no idea how to balance a game like this, and all AI function mostly the same except with differing loadouts. Trying to take any ship larger than a Vulture into combat is almost always a death sentence unless you have the best thrusters available, best shields, military bulkheads, hull reinforcements, and turrets.

Well the python is heralded as the worst bounty hunting ship right now. And they're not wrong, it's point was always just that that it had a massive power distributor with 3 c3 hardpoints on a medium hull. All it was good for was shooting the target dummies that were pre 2.1 NPCs. Now it's more of a multirole ship you might want to use for this and that for people that quite can't afford a good conda.

yeah but python on python should be pretty evenly matched tho

It used to be a decent multirole, but now it's further cemented as the next step trade ship after the T7 or T6 if you want to keep trading at outposts.

Yeah I feel that the low rank NPCs fly the same attack patterns but just can't keep up with you since they're rocking E graded thrusters.

>dat little gluttony fag
Right on, CMDR o7

i saved your image for future generations, don't worry cmdr. its our equivalent of +rep

cheers

cmdr brabosocks

I wonder if the dadposting will ever attact any actual dads that then think "wow this site is really nice and friendly"

It could happen, look at how Veeky Forums as a whole attracts retards because everyone on this site acts like a fucking mouth breathing mong.

Your tea is ready btw.

prepare your anus for a blog:
>grind determinedly
>175 in total game hours I finally get my A-rated combat conda
>'oh cool let's see what fun I can fit into this!'
>test a fun outfit
>it's fucking useless
>get all pulse lasers
>go grind RES for that Elite combat rank
>realise what the fuck am I doing
>downgrade to an FDL, make it a fun loadout with 4 rails
>grief dads
Just do something that's fun, don't grind for an endgame ship that will eventually just let you down because the new AI will outmaneuver you.

SIRA FOR LIFE

But what makes Elite so compelling isn’t so much about the game as the experience. It’s the tinkering with and the taking out of a performance car for a Sunday drive, not to rack up more miles, nor to break any speed limits, but to just feel the growl of the engine and the wind comb through what’s left of your hair. To remember those carefree days arched over a BBC Micro or blinking angrily into a Lenslok and to forget for a short while that you have to make 357 people redundant in the morning. Elite is a hermetically-sealed escape capsule and it’s the best there is. Hell, you could fire the game up and just sit there on a launch pad and the sounds are enough to carry you away, so strong is your ship’s presence and so absorbing are the station surroundings.

Taking off, tearing through the station entrance a little too fast and just missing a Python, angling for the next jump, scooping fuel from a blazing sun, spinning the camera around your ship to catch its best profile, starting a fight just for the hell of it, seeing smok rise from the command console, hearing the screen crack and precious oxygen escaping into space and landing back at base with seconds to spare – these are the moments that make Elite essential. Trading, missions, mining – not so much. But it’s ok, we’re not going anywhere.

Do we have to see this every single thread?

This is a dead thread so I'll let you in on a secret

rockpapershotgun.com/2016/03/17/best-space-games/4/

youtube.com/watch?v=ZUh6qV7biB0

>gimballed pulse
fixed is more fun though (and higher dmg), unless maybe you're looking to grind RES daily, I'm currently in a trade/etc Asp but isn't the Vulture as or more manoeuvrable than a Cobra?

I really have no idea about which is more agile, but it's a very trivial difference, and the punch the Vulture packs more than makes up for it. The Cobra is much faster though and quite tanky for its size, so it can usually break off if it needs to.

Didn't think player base was big enough to make shit like this

>forumdads discover vintage downfall meme
>exume it to make their own unfunny version like a million unfunny versions before wasn't enough
Might as well tell them about cackling toothless spaniard.

>Dads discover memes
Please no

Can the FDL work for piracy?
Are the internal slots enough?

>he doesn't know
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76212

So I realized I grinded to a max kitted vulture with 30 million and a fully kitted exploring ASP to spare and then quit the game, without ever engaging any players. I think I'd like to try some piracy or maybe just kill some older men. Any tips for this?

Who said dads were casuals?

All this unfunny shit
>Look, wive's son, i posted a myhm!

>forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=76212
Ahahaha, there's that butthurt Bowie fangirl posting Bowie portraits all of the sudden amongst all the facebook memery.

Golden.

>fixed

Fixed weapons are cancer. I cannot fucking use them to save my life. Even though I fly a vulture. ESPECIALLY anything that has a travel time.

You just have to practice using them a little. For 2 fixed beams to your vulture and fight stuff for an hour or two. They get much easier to use over time.

>beams
Why not pulse?
Or railguns

Pulse and every other laser is hitscan though,so why intentionally do lower dmg plus be vulnerable to chaff?

I don't think Vulture can handle rail guns, too power hungry

Because I'm shit at aiming them and miss a lot.

Imma go practice with fixed pulse lasers on my vulture now.

I'm at 9% rank4 for for that fsd granny engineer. Roughly how much more exploration data do I need for rank 5?

Trip to the center and back on fuel-efficiency mode should do it

Sorry I missed that part, I was curious about the better hardpoint placement on the Vulture though, it's supposed to be pretty nice.

At exactly the same point, ~3M was for 1-5 so guessing maybe half that or less.

Are fixed weapons still objectively not worth using even if you can aim?

>fit fixed pulse lasers
>go to a low RES for some ezmodo target practice
>enemy power play npcs spawn on me while im fighting a DBE
>DBE dies so fucking slowly because lack of damage uptime compared to gimballed

yeah fixed can go suck a dick.

Any speculations about E3 announcements are Frontiers even going?

New season of CQC tournaments.

ded

>cqc tournaments

They need to completely delete all mentions of CQC and powerplay from the forums and wipe them from the game and pretend they didnt happen. I cant think of any other updates in any game that were as useless and made the game worse as those.

I would play CQC/Arena if there was a game mode for multi crew and it was something like capital ship vs capital ship or maybe capital ship vs (what ever number would be balanced) FDL's.

unironically get good. seriously, the AI is more difficult but its not by a long shot impossible to engage in ships larger than a vulture

quit memeing

It's kind of ridiculous how a courier/viper mk iv can take shields down from a cutter/vette tho. FDEv needs to balance damage/defense in favor of big ships and not the other way around. It's been like that throughout elites lifespan and it's just more apparent now.

i don't have any qualms with smaller ships winning against larger ships but i agree right now they're outputting too much damage. the AI wench gave a lot of them inaccurate damage for weapon size and class

Character creation that should have been along side multi crew. I mean what the fuck, the character creation is useless by itself but it's one major updates the expansion has.

>planetary landing
>engineers
>character creation???
>multi crew
>ship launched fighters
>land on lava planets?
This shit should have been on the planetary landing update

I think I want to try some pvp piracy. Is that even possible? Im in LHS 3447, ready to go. If I were to interdict someone, would the cops just show up immediately? Also, are interdictions illegal, or am I fine until I engage?

Why the fuck would the do character creation before anything else?
There wouldn't even be a way to look at yourself.
They should have done multi-crew first, have everyone walk in helmets, and then worry about face creation. I guess there were reasons...

>>land on lava planets?
hahaha no

Yeah, but it's a weird thing to try and balance. On the one hand I want to be able to have any ship be viable, I lament the fact that I cannot use an Imperial Eagle because it wouldn't dent anything worthwhile. On the other hand I don't want to be fucked over in my Anaconda by some dick in a Viper.

I think what Frontier needs to do is add some form of upgrade system for ships. Like Engineers but not dogshit and you can do it with credits. For instance, spending 100,000,000 to overhaul an Imperial Eagle or any low tier ship and give it tier 8/7/6/whatever slots to make it viable to use on a larger basis. The one thing I hate about the game is the clicker game-esque system of grind for this ship, then grind in that ship for this other ship. I hate abandoning ships, especially when you form a sentimental attachment to them through adverse conditions.

The game sorely needs depth and I think one of the ways to start with that is by making it so the player can turn any ship into a ship they can own forever. I loved my type-9 but the jump range is shit, let me spend my credits to upgrade it's slots to higher tiers.

Interdictions are a 200 or 400?? credit fine.
It won't work. Every traderdad runs away and every sensible person just combat logs.

You can try some hardcore roleplaying and they might play along with you. If you are trying to be a dick just kill them so they don't get to run away.

>is it illegal to interdirect
If they're not wanted yes
>do cops show up
I wouldn't know. Sidewinders I killed in Ervate died too fast for me to find out

t-tier 8 slots on an imp eagle?

It was just an example, I just hate the fact that ships rapidly become useless, and to progress further you have to abandon your shipfu's.

It would be cool for 5 min

Brabo said something like "we don't know if lava planets will be availabe during season 2, can't promise that" during his recent leddit AMA.

Don't get your hopes up.

Nice dad joke btw.

What the fuck are they doing in that studio all day?

masturbatory self-congratulation

Planet coaster.

Some of you guys are alright. Don't go to lave tomorrow.

well damn, that was easier than expected once I ditched the piracy part. Melted two sidewinders, but this wasn't nearly as satisfying as I would have thought.
I'll go into character and confuse them a little from now on

>but this wasn't nearly as satisfying as I would have thought
Summarized the entire game right there

Do I grind for 4 hours to rank up once to get FAS or just spend the money on a vulture?

Don't die yet

guys got a question,
how do i ACTUALLy rank up?
i am 100% on first empire rank (i should be outsider) but it sitll says NONE.
I see i have to do some kind of mission to actually get the rank but where do i find it?

Naval ascension missions on mission bbs.
You have to get a good reputation with a minor faction that is aligned with the federation or the empire.

tl;dr
GRIND MISSIONS

Agreed. I love my DBS, it's like a space attack helicopter. But two mediums and two small hard points combined with little in the way of shields or armor, it just doesn't cut it anymore. I've since upgraded to a Vulture, but it just feels...soulless.

I'd easily drop a couple million Brabenbux to upgrade individual hardpoints and modules.

You have to do a special ascension mission, if you can find it. They used to be called "Naval ascension opportunity" now they are sort of hidden and disguised like the screenshot.

>Its the older demographic that are the sensible ones. Why? Because they actually remember what it was like to play old video games, that were you know pretty hard in most cases.

>Players these days don't have a clue, they want everything on a plate and they want it now, because they are self entitled.

avoid the forums if you don't want to give yourself a stroke

Goddam it, now I'm mad.

I don't want to be handed everything on a plate. I just want Ftroop to FIX THEIR GODDAMN GAME LIKE THEY'RE BEING PAID TO. LAZY ASS BONGS I SWEAR TO GOD

>attempting to argue with the dads

there's no point tbqh, they harp on and on about "posting constructive criticism" but when you actually do they just dog pile it with illogical fallacies.

Now i'm just shitposting to see how long till i get banned

I'm honestly convinced that some of these "dads" are really paid shills doing damage control for fdev.

There's no way some of these people actually believe what they're saying, the lack of self awareness is amazing