/domg/ - Dominions General

Hot Underwater Elves Edition

Previous Pantokrator Dominions is a fantasy turn-based strategy game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a strategy game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

>not dying is cooler
Check your privilege, lifefag.

I'll try it out.

Thanks senpai.

First for Ys has the best and cutest elves

nth for ULMISH SUPERIORITY

Ermor pls go and stay go.

I also suggest dropping rainbow armor for bone armor as soul vortex sucks life/fatigue out of enemies for yourself, and cast erf power first as that gives him a reinvig bonus. Finally it's worth noting using grigori as SCs is pretty inefficent when they are your biggest and baddest spell casters. Best to keep your SCing to the melqarts (even if they get shit paths)

The hell sword is not good for this purpose, get rid of that and get a decent shield. Vine shields are generally the way to go if you don't have artifact level shields since normal units get trapped by vines and find it hard to break out of them. A sword like a brand or something else with AoE will do. The boots and amulet of antimagic are fine, as is the regen ring if you don't have an N9 bless. The rainbow armour is fine if you're expecting some MR negates spells to be thrown at you.
Earthquakes are good battlefield clear but they will put you at high fatigue, so maybe only cast one at most, or astral tempest if you really have a huge stack to clear that doesn't have high MR units. I think astral tempest is MR negates so with 25 MR you should be functionally immune to it.

Just a reminder that they are literal traps

If you bury you dick in deep enough, you don't care if it's a trap or not.

don't know why but this made me hard

Whut

as i said ;)

>MFW I thought admin would extend turn for those who have to work 8-5 before llama was patched
>mfw he didn't

Jokes on you, he staled as well.

>admin is caelum
this explains things

He's Pan. You're not very quick, are you?

Game: NoBones
Turn number 1
Next turn due: 11:25 GMT on Thursday June 9th

Arcoscephale 2h file received
Asphodel 2h file received
Bandar Log 2h file received
Caelum 2h file received
Jotunheim 2h file received
Marignon 2h file received
Pangaea Waiting for 2h file
Pelagia 2h file received
R'lyeh 2h file received
T'ien Ch'i 2h file received

>3 stalls
considering I don't have any of their steam info I had a 50/50 chance of being wrong

He mentioned that some time ago.

I think we bullied him a bit too hard.

Or not hard enough.

Murmaider

I'm a beginner on Dominions 4 and, after having won something like 6 games in solo against AI, I've become bored with solo play, but I feel like I'm certainly not ready for multiplayer with random people and fear being bullied, as I still feel like I don't understand most game mechanics and play a bit randomly. What do?

yare yare, your still 6 months of SP too young to defeat me in a fair fight kiddo.

Just play a piss-easy nation like Vanheim or Ulm

Just play fucking MP game, you will learn from one lost game more than you would learn from ten victories over AI. And will have much more fun in the same time.

There are nooby games every now and then. Or just join a random game. is 100% correct.

So, she can RoS right off the bat.
But uses as is, it won´t be efficient.
Maybe just an ethereal cloak and trapeze her to needed locations?
Any ideas on cheap use of ros with these ladies?

It's not an issue on several counts:
1. There can only be one victor, losing isn't anything weird. Most players in any given match lose just like you might, and even the best players have fairly modest winrates
2. There are several negative feedback mechanisms in play: for example, a large player will often become a target for a coalition. In addition, there's a pretty large degree of randomness involved (you might have a good endgame nation but if you start next to someone who has invested on early game heavily, you're probably going down). And let's not even mention the very asymmetric balance (or lack thereof). All of these factors obfuscate the effects of player skill: if you observe someone carefully, you can of course measure them up, but someone being a newbie isn't obvious for everyone involved. There's a great many reasons someone could remain small or lose early.
3. There's a number of skills that you simply can't practise against AI (pretty much everything but expansion) or that you can't really even practise and your natural aptitude plays a major role (like diplomacy: some players are just naturally good at it while some players don't even bother and play as though it was a no diplomacy house rules game). In addition, there's a number of qualities desirable in a player beyond just their skill level: doing their turns in timely manner and not giving up. A veteran player stalling has a far more disastrous impact on the game than a new player just being shit.

For these reasons mixed skill games are 100% fine, particularly if you steer away from weak or "expert" nations and play something more straightforward instead, especially if there's a guide for the nation available. In addition, from time to time there are games specifically aimed at newbies, and besides playing the game from the start, you could sub for an ongoing game (in which case people are just happy for not having to turn the player AI, no matter how bad you are).

join a MP game in the next days, prefarably with many new players ( look into the steam group too).

just play an easy nation, ask in the thread for pretender suggestions, and practice expansion with it a lot against the AI.

if you join a PBEM you are going to have months to learn your nation, so no big problems.

If you get the E random & are running a n9 bless (good for the communions, too), then I think you've got it figured out.

>Trapeze
>Bless
>RoS

Thank you very much for these useful answers. Also, this raises a few questions in my mind:

What nations should I avoid?

Should I prefer early age, middle age or late age?

What kind of strategy should I prefer as a beginner? For example, should I play a SC or rather focus on the scales?

start with what you think is most fun

If you like communions, for example, pick a nation that has good communion potential and try it out, not to win, but to have fun and learn something specific.

Do you like to have big armies? get scales
Do you like SC/thugs? pick a nation with that
Sacreds? get a nice bless

As of nations to avoid, there are some really annoying, like LA Rlyeh, its dominion kills pop, gives your freespawn that are useless and have upkeep and on top of that makes commanders go mad.
MA Ermor is particularly heavy on the micro-management department.

My advice is to read about the lore of each nation and go from there. Look up for guides, check the inspector. But start with the lore

it's better to reserve your god for scales, bless and crafting and lategame casting rather than mid-game battle spells or mid game SC because those require more game knowledge to pull off.
an Expander god like a Snake is ok for beginners too depending on nation.

Early age's nation are easier to understand in my opinion as they tend to have few but deep magical paths.

i would avoid blood nations and nations with tricky early game like Yomi or bandar log.

>don't be in Veeky Forums for a while
>threads drop to page 9/10 in 20 minutes

what the fuck happened

All the slow generals are getting pruned. Soon it will be our turn.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Start with the lore.

So I think Xibabla finally killed all my scouts. How are things going on the interesting side of the map?

Also, Mictlan, you gonna get a turn in? Or do I need to extend more?

Also, get into a disciples game, specially with someone with some skills
You learn a lot from friends that want to succed.
Disciples games are specially good because you have to debate about what pretender build, and plan future schemes even before the game starts. It makes you think not only about your nation weakneses and strenghts, but how they interact with others all the while with a helping eye by your side.

It would be nice if it was possible, but none of my friends also happens to be into this game

You can join a disciples game without being friends with anyone in it.

He just meant that you would be friends with the people on your team, and they could teach you a little since they're invested in winning.

>The now-AI Lanka ran a F4E4D10B4 bless.

Now I know this is a newbie game but what.

>D10

For what purpose

Looking into Tartarian endgame comes up as one possible reason that a newbie might have considered

Is there some benefit to it then? I thought tartarian gate only needed D7

Thats what a normal player thinks, and an average player would think D5 is enough.

But maybe a newbie would think "someone told me high death is good for tartarians XD" without even knowing which one is the spell to summon them

Ermor, you're a few hours away from staling.

So?

That's bad.

rome moves for no man

Hi Vic.

Just reminding you. I'll only AI you if you stale 3 times in a row or more.

Come on now, mate.

Joining ErmorOP as Asphodel.

Shit, Ermor sympathiser detected

Describe this picture without using the word "bone".

Skeletons fucking

I might have not completely though my plan through.

bones boning

>no one's joined ErmorOP as Pythium yet

dissapointed tbqh

>D10

I don't know what it is, but it makes me moist and delicious inside.
Europa Universalis? Crusader Kings 2?

That's fine. Go for it.

left: EU4 right: Dynasty warriors 8

Did ErmorOP ever move on to a scenario map like people were suggesting?

Admin's working on it, IIRC.

I'm very sad that you didn't hold to your end of the nonaggression pact, and attacked well before it was due to be over (that is to say you didn't even make the attack on 110, but attacked just before then).

OTOH I have literally several thousand ghosts in roughly all those forts, with the ability to toss roughly 1-2k birds per turn into them, so it'll be awhile.

And Ib. You have very good tastes in video games, mate.

I try to have some variety

Shit, now I want to play Dynasty Warrior again.

stay away from 6/7 if you didn't already know. 8 was good and 5 is considered the best of the "classic" Dynasty warriors

I already have 8 and I enjoyed it so far, through It seems to lack depths to focus on "go here, kill that guy".

But a game where I can fight with a BOAT can't be bad.

that's what I mean sorta. 8 has the most fun combat when it comes to killing the mooks IMO, while Dynasty warriors 5 still makes you feel like "by doing this my allies and my mooks actually fight better and can take out officers on their own"

Ha, yeah. I mean, 8 has some nice counter attack mechanism, but most often, I have no idea what I'm doing. Even Hyrule Warriors looked more interesting, with castles and outposts that you could capture to makes it easier for you.

DW8 Empires elevates some of those issues, but you lose out on the story mode which was actually very enjoyable, especially doing Lu bu's and turning the tide

except shu's story, that shit was persona: ancient china edition

Frankly, I don't like Lu Bu.
Personality wise, he's an arrogant piece of shit who scorns everyone else, and yet he's ready to betray anyone for just a fucking horse or a woman.

>that shit was persona: ancient china edition
That's what makes it so good.

>IF WE JUST HAVE EACH OTHER WE CAN DEFEAT ANY KINGDOM! YEEEAH

yeah he was a scumbag, but his pure badassery is what makes him iconic. Wei had best story overall though. Cao Cao is one charismatic mofo

Dead game.

I don't understand why Lu Bu is always depicted as a hero despite being a scumbag, a turncoat, and a traitor.

I'm pretty sure he's counted as a "hero" in terms of power level and being a main character in the book, he canonically is captured after ALL his soldiers and servants desert in the night, taking Red Mare as well, so he then gets captured and executed by Shu.

I still have more respect for Boromir than him.

Well, Boromir though arrogant was well meaning, he'd spent his life defending Gondor against Mordor.
Lu Bu just was strong, and therefore used that to get whaetever he wanted till that attitude killed him.

Boromir is a real hero.

Take turns reeeeeeeeeeeeee

Honestly I couldn't remember which turn it was, and I didn't want to give away the game by asking again.

I was gonna wait a couple more turns, but I got bored. So have at you!

You do understand that this is going to be a huge slap fight involving winds of death, rains of stone, and wizard's tower, where we check the DPS of Flames from the Sky vs Call of the Winds.

If you're looking for intel elsewhere, the war between Patala and Xibalba seems to have fully begun, with this.

that's an extremely quiet ree.
It's like youre not even trying.

What happens if I put so much worthless chafff on the field I break my opponent's game when they try to open the battle? Does that count as a win? This is starting to seem like a valid meta-strategy as time goes on in Memegeddon.

Well, llamaserver will still process the turn, and they can look at the casulty report.

It's not like making it any louder will make it more likely that people will take their turns

>no turns for three days

when will ermorOP start pls

>666 ozelotls

Oh I understand. But I really can't get to anyone else, and I consider you a bigger threat than Mictlan at the moment.

Not with that mentality, you despicable failure at life!
NOW REE LIKE YOU MEAN IT, SOLDIER!

I must request your snek album, good snek.

If Bats roll through Patala, I want peace though, regardless of the circumstances currently occurring in our war. The balance of power must be maintained after all.

rEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They can just watch the battle with no particle effects. Considering some of the times C'tis and I have rammed into one another, that usually works.

Oh yeah. If I suddenly have Xibalban borders all hostility between us us off.

Hopefully, though, Patala will be able to contain the flood.

I don't think you understand how much worthless chaff I'm talking here.

I can pretty effortless spam literally tens of thousands of bodies using just one of my methods, and we're ''only'' on turn forty.