/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Dead Monkey Edition.

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread: >New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/i-am-a-nice-fellow
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_gage
inkscape.org/en/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GMKNXJqyknA
youtube.com/watch?v=p19qjIf34zI
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_persons_fictitious_disclaimer
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1465299336639.webm
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
twitter.com/SteamDB/status/740625050638913537
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Does anyone have the deflating rhino webm saved? I want to make it into an agdg OP pic/banner.

>Added a chatbox
>Finally got it running in Firefox
Gonna start working on UI

Reposting for (you)'s

What can i do to make this thruster particle effect better? Do they move to slow? Are the particles too big?

Thanks doc

Stream when?

Thanks, I'll try to have it ready by tomorrow.

The player can now toggle various attachments on the weapons

so where the games at?

Set sail for progress!

topkek. Looking forward to it.

For those who have trouble coming up with a game idea, here's a challenge:

>think of a game you like that has a story (even a simple one like "the princess was kidnapped... gotta save her!")
>ignoring mechanics briefly, consider the core conflict of that story, and the thing that the player is trying to achieve
>figure out at least one totally different way to depict this "story"

Examples:

>Super Mario Bros.
>someone has been kidnapped and needs rescuing
>Original method: Jump through platforming levels until you kill the final boss and save her
>Alternative one: Stealth game where if someone sees you, you have to kill them before word gets back that they sent you to rescue the kidnapping victim, or they'll kill her
>Alternative two: Hostage negotiation simulator.

>Sim City
>you are the mayor of a city and have all the responsibilities that come with that
>Original method: Build your city top-down and try to make it thrive
>Alternative: Play as a selfish asshole trying to get as much campaign funding and prestige as possible by negotiating the minefield of politics, all while keeping your skeletons firmly in-closet, possibly eventually running for higher and higher office.

The upside to this is that you're taking tense situations that you KNOW players will find interesting and you're detaching them from the same old gameplay.

What this means is:

1. You can make the game as simple or complicated as you like.
2. You aren't stealing gameplay, but instead giving yourself a framework around which to build gameplay yourself.

Mid-boss music

soundcloud.com/zawazawazawachameleon/i-am-a-nice-fellow

>mfw I will never be and AGDG OP

Now I want ot make a sailing game.

Fuck you

How long have you been reposting that? Feels like ages.

I could try something with it. Cross your fingers.

Naval combat game where you actually have to sail and think about the wind when?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_gage

Let me try:
>Pokemon
>kid wants to become the greatest at what essentially amounts to a sport everyone plays
>this is represented through turn-based, classic JRPG style combat
>could be a sports game where all the other players are AI and you build your stats up like an RPG. You have to balance between teamwork and making big plays to make your team successful and show off your own skill if you want to keep making progress and ultimately go pro.

Reminder to use trip #rocket to join the team that will win Space Jam. Open enrollment, we already have like 4 assets.

Fucking awesome

Probably a week now. Promised to stop reposting it when someone told me to stop with progress. Have some new content:

I always thought someone should expand on a blitzball-type game. Used to play that shit for hours at the save points.

Reminder that the team rocket poster is the same person as the game thief and source poster

just some butthurt faggot trying to ruin this general.

It's ok I'm used to working with shit like this. I'll start working on optimization once the core design is finished.

Holy shit, this is gold.

I like this sort of wacky music. would be very fitting for an rpg.

Godot Engine needs GTA-like open world game template. Something that newcomers can use to start building open world game without reinventing the wheel.
Someone please help me make it.

you make me proud kiddo

You should make animated+sound webms, it probably makes it even better in action

Started to work on a new level and realized that an enemy is not designed to work on curved surfaces. It's an easy fix, though.

>>Alternative two: Hostage negotiation simulator
desu Rainbow Six: Diplomacy sound fun, would play.

What's the best way for me to "trace" a picture I have scanned in using krita?

I drew it with pencil but just dragging the mouse over the lines makes it super wobbly looking.

Will there ever be a playable demo?

I still need to make some cool attack/skill animations. Still kind of shaping the project as I go along, I have a general script to follow, but I really want to just get a demo dungeon out so I can get a feel for where I want to go with it.

Maybe nest demo day. Either way, I'll do a more substantial release in October 2016. When Yooka-Laylee was originally supposed to come out :^)

>When Yooka-Laylee was originally supposed to come out.
When's it scheduled for now?

>another 2d top down pixel space game

Luh mayo

Trove

And it's more than you will ever accomplish. Sucks for you.

Godot's 3D support is still pretty lacking. There's a big update coming later this year that's supposed to alleviate that a bit.

"Early 2017".

throw it into Inkscape and go Path -> Trace Bitmap
inkscape.org/en/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

there's too much emphasis on the rockets and not enough on the ship. also, I feel the smaller particles could be made a bit smaller.

It's not reinventing the wheel if there's isn't already a wheel you dingus.

o wait
>using krita
IDK
Still do the Inkscape thing, then export result to fuckhueg .png, then put that into Krita (Unless Krita knows how to .svg already, then export as .svg)

Working on a player model (the back is too long in game so wil change it).

Apart from that I downloaded spacescape (free) which is a very good star, nebula generator and will export as a skybox for unity, ue4 and other stuff.

Right now I'm texturing the model and adding some acceleration onto the player movement so its less jerky and hopefully easier to aim.

youtube.com/watch?v=GMKNXJqyknA

Any good tutorials on how to become a decent writer/director?

I don't even know how to approach something as bittersweet as this trailer:
youtube.com/watch?v=p19qjIf34zI

How do I even begin to make something like that. (Never played the game, but the trailer is so good until the lady starts singing, then it got cheesy with the fucking horseback riding, but it was good up until that point, even the ending, was very sad and I don't even know what's going on)

Finally found myself an idea guy to collab with.
I think after all those years, I'm finally going to take part in an AGDG jam

I see what you mean
In that case, help me make the wheel
So that other people can steal it

First is called the "Bottom Up" approach.
Goes from the mechanics and systems to the player experience

Pros:
- Easier to prototype and see results quickly
- Rational approach, easier to iterate on

Cons:
- Harder to have a clear vision of where you're going

Examples:
Portal, Minecraft, Splatoon, most Nintendo games...

Second is called the "Top Down" approach.
Goes from the experience and the theme to the mechanic
Pros:
- Clear creative vision
- Natural creative process
- Easier to have a coherent experience

Cons:
- Harder to focus on the design
- Easy to miss the player's expectations of the theme

Examples:
Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, most AAA games...

>9-11.webm
Can your use jet fuel to melt steel in the towers?

Well, I'm reading Bjarne Stroustrup principles and practice using c++ and going to do every exercise.

See you in three months /agdg/,

What are some recommended books to get good at programming. My friend recommended Bjarne books because he invented C++ so is the best.

No, but you can trigger the explosives that you placed earlier.

Weird question. Are real world locations copyrighted? Like, if I made a 3D model of a city, say New York, would I be in trouble if I used some of the NY skyscrapers like the Empire State Building or even some more unique places like the Yankee stadium?

I'm gonna get inkscape purely for the bitmap tracing. Also seems like the kinda program I could use anyway.

Many thanks for your helpanon.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_persons_fictitious_disclaimer

Anyone have any advice for this shitty attempt at a blacksmith? Shading hasn't been put in yet, I know that. But general design ideas, anything. Right now he kinda just looks like bara bait

You've been posting this same webm for months.

gta4 was in new york buddy

Reminder to post your progress webms on /wsg/ so we can hear your game's sound and music. Your game does have sound right?

Here's my progress:

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1465299336639.webm

Please no bully.

Looks like a machoke mixed with a koopa

Kinda looks like he has tits and is wearing a dress. Maybe make his tunic longer and more ragged?

roids squirtle

nice freddi fish clone

Noted!
I definitively agree about the particle size. The ship isn't lighted because it would require some really sprite specific light masks and this isn't the final ship design because i'ts not mine

All true. I'll keep these in mind going forward

I'm thinking of starting fresh, maybe giving myself a few extra pixels uptop to work with. The form seems kinda fucked and stiff at this point

Didn't even realize, that's pretty funny

No it wasnt it was set in Liberty City.

Meant for

Games are gameplay, not story. Think of mecânica and good gameplay first and then make your story around it.

Put up my first game on the google play store 2 days ago. 2 years of very messy development with it starting on the PC with a friend as an online game, then scrapped once we didn't get any kickstarter funds. It was only scrapped because my programmer friend lost interest. Decided a year later to try to learn programming myself, then by chance found playmaker. Used it, learned it, and bam. Went through 6 different unfinished projects before I went back to Dega Madness to try and do it (as a single player game now) on android. Took around 4 months to make (I also work fulltime)

I find that the alpha maps in the title screen don't work properly on some of the lower end devices, just the ones that are set to unlit/transparent cutout (unity), so I'll have to go back and try to find out why. Also with my joystick that I designed myself, I had a problem with confining it to within a certain spacial distance. So you can move the controller all over the screen, but the player will only move if you keep the joystick within the bottom GUI area. Some players have problems keeping their thumb in that area, as they just tend to keep pushing it up the screen. Also some fairly bad lag on lower end devices. I'm not sure if that's because my game isn't optimized or if it's the phone.

Anyway if you have a decent android it should run fine, I'll have to find a way to try and bind the joystick though. For now just keep it within the bottom gui. Was fully made in playmaker btw.

***Game is called Dega Madness

The goal is to try to dodge all of the "Dega's" and reach the end. Each vehicle has it's own ability that can be used by hitting the "ability" button, and most abilities can only be used once per life.

No idea what my next project is gonna be now...anyway hope you enjoy it!

I just checked Ableton, its pretty sweet but the price tag is a bit too high for now I guess I could download it for free somewhere...

Probably will end up using pxtone that suggested, so far it looks just what I need (a lightweight way to make/"sketch" some music out)

Cheers!

The next Godot version is going to support an "asset store"-like system. It will have templates too.
So go make that GTA template user, you'll be famous.
Right now I think the templates and assets are going to be free only.

>Reading comprehension: the post

He is literally saying to create a diferent gameplay based on a existing game story.

Nice. Did you get pic by compiling Godot from Github?
I'm a freetard, so I care for freedom more than I do for money.

Very lucid point, shitposter #87. How about you go make a game.

And?

List of reasons why you shouldn't use Gamemaker or Unity

gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

because Defold exists

>Gamemaker
>3D

>Unishit

If you're not making a custom engine you're basically a nodev.

So there's four players and they are ranked.
In case of a draw, should they be ranked like this:
1 - player a
2 - player b
3 - player c
3 - player d

or like this
1 - player a
2 - player b
4 - player c
4 - player d

I would like to have multiple of those ratings and give the players points for each round
So rank 1 would get 4 points, rank 2 would get 4 points, rank 2 would get 1 points and rank 1 would get 0 points. Does this make sense?

Yup, I compiled it from the github. It's updated pretty much every day.

are you retarded?

you can make GPL games with Unity.

It looks good and is well made. My oncly concern is that in the levels I played I never felt the challenge was really coming from the level, but rather from a lack of being able to control my vehicle well enough

Neither GM nor Unity are free software.

1 2 3 3 obviously.
Makes the player feel better about being shit.

Maybe. I've also been coding all day, so I can't think straight.

because Godot and UE4 exists

Nobody here mentioned this. Massively disappointed

twitter.com/SteamDB/status/740625050638913537

>Can't decide between Monogame and GameMaker: Studio

>Monogame gives me more control, I know the language better, it's something I can show off to potential employers

>GameMaker takes care of a lot of engine boilerplate shit like window management, sprite and object creation, and allows me to work much faster

Shiiiiit

How come no one here uses Cryengine? Is it a clusterfuck?

A wild progress appear!
I just made it so some kind of places change the "gravity". This is the water, which is not really impressive, but some other will be more, like wind.

>draw 2spooky basic enemy for my game
>literally 100 percent sure everyone is going to think it looks retarded
>working on it anyway

I'll show it when it's done, because fuck giving up on things.

I would use Godot if it didn't have it's own scripting language.

It takes like 1 day to learn, provided you know at least 1 programming language well.

Personally I'm using GM:S to get a game made and get accustomed to scripting language, then I intend to move to Godot and learn C++ later for cred.

I think if you want to just get a game made sooner rather than later, GM:S is your best bet.