/gsg/ - Grand Strategy General

Reminder that SteIIaris has its own general and discussion of the game doesn't go here. Thank you.

We don't have an official steam or discord group. If anyone posts in the thread about any "official" or not steam or discord groups, promising MP or not, be sure it's a shitposter group known for organizing raids and shitposting in the thread. They are known for false-flagging.
Report and ignore it.

How fares your empire, /gsg/?

This day in history, June 10th:
671 – Emperor Tenji of Japan introduces a water clock (clepsydra) called Rokoku. The instrument, which measures time and indicates hours, is placed in the capital of Ōtsu.
1190 – Third Crusade: Frederick I Barbarossa drowns in the river Saleph while leading an army to Jerusalem.
1329 – The Battle of Pelekanon results in a Byzantine defeat by the Ottoman Empire.
1916 – The Arab Revolt against the Ottoman Empire was declared by Hussein bin Ali, Sharif of Mecca.
1940 – World War II: Italy declares war on France and the United Kingdom.

>News
EU4 DD02/06
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-2nd-of-june-2016.940420/

CK2 DD 8 - Life goes on
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-development-diary-8-life-goes-on.939724/

>Random Country Picker
randomcountry.gbasood.net/

# Archive
mega.co.nz/#F!WZZFXDyT!yyb25ZuLdLs0B8vhoKS3LA

# Mods
>> READ THIS FIRST.
pastebin.com/cCdcev76

>>[HoI4] - General Fixes V003
mediafire.com/download/cr6upg7blz89zf8/gsgmodv003.7z

>>[CK2 - 2.5.2] - After The End
github.com/notalbanian/postapoc

>>[V2] - Historical Project Mod 0.3.3.3 - 21/03/2016
pastebin.com/66gpxbKk

>>[V2] - Napoleon's Legacy v0.3.1.7
pastebin.com/sN1g69sr

>>[V2] Alternative Flag Pack V7
pastebin.com/PRQH8vcV

>>[V2] Many Houses Divided - v 0.0.1.1
dropbox.com/s/jso7qa1c4ystej7/MHD.rar

Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

poal.me/it0lel
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Reminder to report and ignore shitposting.

I love hoy4 but it should have more depth to it

[ ] Helpful [ ] Agree [X] Respectfully Disagree

Oke guys Hoi IV, Resistance, how to deal with it without putting 50% manpower into Garrison?

>hoy4

fifth for redditors

quote me if you use reddit

>gp system
>only development matters
>can be the biggest militay power but you aren't a gp because lol development

[X] Helpful [ ] Agree [ ] Respectfully Disagree

Hi, my name is Alex, and I'm an alcoholic

You should be used to the way this goes by now, the game's just a skeleton the DLCs add on to

>I conquer the whole Ukraine region by myself while Germany goes after Moscow
>I take Stalingrad and cause USSR to capitulate
>Germany claims the entire Ukraine area that I controlled on the first turn

fuck off

>can't invest in other great powers
but why

important poll, i need to decide whether to keep jews in the european culture group in vicky 2
poal.me/it0lel
poal.me/it0lel
poal.me/it0lel

Holy shit senpai how the hell did you fuck up your graphics to make the game look this bad

There's supposed to be one meme option not two

that what you get for not paying your depts.

t. Rob

>HOY4 TOTALLY WON'T BE BLOBBING LIKE EU4 GUYS xD
>TRUST US AND BUY IT! xD
>t. Johan

Rob-ot xx--DDDDD

how can a paradox game be fun without blobbing?

willy

Is it just me or is spamming civilian factories the way to go? It's 1941 for me as germany and so far I have 200 something military factories, 100 dockyards (enough to have a navy capable of taking on britain), 250 something civilian factories left building more military factories and getting infrastructure up to 10 while I beat the shit out of the soviet union. I control both Iraq and Iran and am in a position to take baku, basically have been wrecking with mechanized and armor even in the shittiest of terrain

Also a reminder, you cant have the rebel map mod on and deploy your troops the same time.
So deploying your Cleaning teams becomes tedious as fuck.

>playing Australia
Never again.

What you call blobbing I call the Imperialist motivations of a truly free sovereign state

t.

tiny divisions with MP mop up resistance hella quick. On top of that, if you're Axis let italy occupy everything in africa other than asking them for the states with the resources you want.

If you're Germany you can do whatever the fuck you want.

Smaller countries have to choose, because every factory matters.

Many years ago, Paradox had two diverting paths it could take in the future development of its games and franchises:

1. Tall - Adding depth and complexity to bring out a true historical simulation in its games with plausible alternate realities.

2. Wide - Adding more land to conquer and more time periods without the complexity or depth inherent in these myriad location an time periods. A map painter with extremely unrealistic alternate realities brought about through arbitrary game design and extreme streamlining.

Paradox chose to go wide.

NIPS GET OUT

VREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
[sounds of a thousand screaming chink plane engines intensify]

But in the end a small division does not suppress as well as a big one.
The math goes 20%+ Suppression with a MP and 2 Suppression per Cav and 1.2 per Inf or something. So having big Divisions with 10 cav and 9 inf are better at suppression than one with just 10 cav.
Or did i missed something?

You can use 2-4 inf regiments with an MP battalion. Doesn't take that many men.

Tall gets the autists, wide gets the ideas guys

maybe early game for tiny nations, but I don't see why I couldn't do the same with italy or any other nation over a longer period of time. I was so ahead in production that I was able to danzig in 1938, and had france by november 39, turned europe into one massive factory and went straight for the oil. Even as germany I shouldn't be able to spend enough production to have 500 divisions out and still have enough left over to build a fleet better than the british one by 1941

You don't need that much suppression.

>forgetting pic

I'm Aussiestralia and I maxxed out my factory slots in '39. Once that happens your civilian factories are doing fuqq all because there's nothing to build except the occasional 1 or 2 slots you unlock through the focus tree, so might as well go full military.

why won't my units go on the offensive when I draw the line?

they just sit there

REEEEEEEE

you don't need big divisions to suppress, small ones are perfectly capable of handling it, the only bonus for larger division is they might suppress slightly faster but those units are going to be parked so hard for so long it doesn't matter at all because you'll be fully supressed by the end of the week anyways.

>Paradox's most profitable game yet is Stellaris.

Really makes you think...

roll, go to sleep and stop playing the worst paradox game yet

seems like it for the larger nations
I played a USA game earlier trying to Lend-Lease Japan to victory and now I'm shitting out more planes and tanks and trucks than I know what to deal with by 1943 because before I started converting them I was building something like 11 military factories at a time and just filled my country to the brim

I'm off

well that should be around 5 suppression, the french will laugh at that and keep burning down your factories.

At the moment im using divisions in 1938 with 9 Inf and 5 Cav they have a suppression of roundabout 23.
One division is not enough to hold down the resistance in Paris. You need like 4 to really put it down with -4% per day.

that's the beauty of it though, the second you don't need the civilian factories you can just exchange them for more military and be even more OP

This is the same with pretty much every game made today look at the elder scrolls and fallout 4

You have to activate the plan autismo

>not getting planning bonuses

One Division in Paris now is holding it down to +4% resistance growth per day. So it's growing despite the präsens of the division.

So what's the correct way to play?
front lines + battle plans
front lines + manual attacks
all manual
or my personal favorite do not play at all

Posted this yesterday, but what should I go for colonial-wise?

It's why India isn't a superpower. All the used Russian aircraft carriers in the world plus nukes won't make you a great power if you can't poo in loo.

I activated the entire plan and they still just sit there? This hasn't happened before... is the game broken?

None of them. Although front line + battle plan + manual control is by far the strongest.

is it true that just doom stacking doesnt work in hoi iv so you have to use actual strategy?

post a screenie

That's straight up wrong though, having units at all in a province already sends suppression backwards, with MP support units a 3-4 division force of 2x2 can hold any province

>one division
I'm sorry are you playing Civ V or hearts of Iron?

no

Help, how come I'm getting a river crossing penalty when there's no river between the provinces? Both generals have 2 maneuver.

With enough infantry you can still doomstack chokepoints (fuck trying to get into the british raj from Iran) but we're talking like 30 divisions a tile in the mountains, and it only works for defense because of combat width.

Quality is definitely the way to go, balanced infantry + armor is going to outdo doomstacks any day of the week if you have the know how to position well

what if hoi4 had vic 2's economy?

Are you sure your army is the one getting the penalty?

Doomstacking wasn't really a thing in 3 either, more of a darkest hour meme

Combat width still plays a huge role so no, doomstacking doesn't work.

As long as it didn't add liquor meme i would love it.

How do you get feedback on the efficacy of your missions?

I have 30 fighters assigned to help the UK defend their shit, and 300 fighters assigned to BTFO the krauts above Vichy France, but for all the feedback I get it's as if both missions are identical, or may as well not even be set. I don't get any reports of enemy fighters shot down, or things bombed, or anything like that. How can I tell if what I'm ordering is actually happening, or working?

Furthermore, is there anywhere I can see estimated strength of the enemy. I'm convoy-raiding Japan and killing a few here and there, but how can I see how many convoys they actually have?

Have a unit present in a province isn't the key factor that lowers the resistance value. It's the Suppression stat on that unit. A unit with a low Suppression stat won't hinder the growth much. There can still be growth even with a Division präsent.
5 Suppression stat is still to low to make a difference.

I'm already wasting my men power on not fighting units. So yes i try to handel this useless staff by only using one division. This is not Civ5 this is HoW you can't pump out Divisions mindlessly.

Cavalry has the highest suppression compared to the other battle units so use a couple of them with a supporting MP.
And I mean cavalry as in horses not tanks.

What kind of unit templates should I be using in Hearts of Iron IV? Never really played grand strategy games before. Also, I just got rolled over by Germany as France a few months after they took Belgium. What are some tips for when I take a second shot at it?

user just study the UI more for the AIr fights. Air regions marked green are your space, red = enemies win. On the top left is the indicator for all of that.

Convoys i have no clue i think you get navel reports when you sink a convoy or something.

if you select the air zone there's a little graph button at the top of the window next to the X that gives you a readout of what's happened
and as for the convoys, if you open up the diplomacy screen for the nation and select the 'details' tab it gives you an estimation of stuff like their convoys, although the accuracy is based on prescription/decryption

How the hell can you open dds HoI4 portraits?
I'm pretty sure photoshop supports that format, but it won't work.

Do I need to get some meme software like gimp or linux?

Yeah, it said Mali on the tooltip, what's more, the enemy army would reach the province before mine did.

uhh, yes you fucking can? divisions are literally just manpower, equipment, and training. If you have the prerequisite of the first two you can shit out units endlessly since units only have to be 20% trained to deploy. Creating divisions with less units in them costs less manpower, creating two divisions with half the men of your larger division costs half as much manpower, but will suppress much more than just one division.

It sounds like you don't quite have a grasp on how unit production works.

ok thats good. seeing screenshots where there are what looks like dozens of small armies all moving on different points gave me hope after such a long period of "one stack vs another ft. terrain modifiers; actual need formilitaoy strategy not included" that you get with eu iv, ck2 and stellaris

notepad++ or microsaft visiual basic.

Cheers guys, that's handy to know.

>National Union of Greece
>New Mongol Empire
what the fuck are these names, these are a 7th grader's "alternate history" map

No idea then. Sorry.

when you zoom out the unit cards reorganize to better display numbers, when you zoom back in you see each division in its individual province. Hearts of Iron has always been very micro heavy

Ok then 20% suppression applied to 4 is more than 20% suppression applied to 8?
Is that what you trying to tell me?

So basically i have infinite manpower to spare ? i don't know that thank you, i really didn't know how the production work in HoI. I really should pump out more Garrison instead of SS und Panzer divisions.

>this is HoW you can't pump out Divisions mindlessly.
But that's the exact opposite of what is true, HOI4's production mechanics literally let you shit out as many divisions you want as long as you have the equipment

Please help:

>playing DH:KR
>France doesn't dow
>Sicily doesn't dow
>csa doesn't join Internationales
>Spain doesnt join Internationales
>1943

3rd playthought in a row this has happened, boring af. How do I force them to start the war?

Any good lets play of HoI4 ?

When should I begin building military factories as France in HoI4?

is there no way to see your borders if you're the vassal of a vassal with the direct vassals map mode?

Did you ever reach 1945 in your game? After conquering half of the world im down to 300k Menpower and i'm still behind Soviet union. Menpower is the first thing that runs out. It's the most important resource in the game and doesn't really come in mass.

No serious answer?
I was thinking, maybe I could contribute to the void of portraits left by the paradox jews, but who gives a shit, playing as twins is fun.

What's the fastest way to get Nuclear Bombs? Is it worth researching them ahead of time and eating the penalty, or do you really just have to wait?

you only lose manpower by having units die, if you've go manpower tied up in useless units you're not using you can disband them at any time to get your manpower back

why are there communist cockroaches crawling around in my clay without approved military access?

set lighter exploitation laws in countries without resources you want, the manpower gain makes a huge difference later on especially if you're conquering such a huge area

>let's plays
>good
pick one

Thinking of something to do with Brazil in Vicky II.

Proximity to Africa means that it would be cheap to turn West Africa into states. New World location means you can rapidly increase your pops, who can then move to Africa and let you pass the accepted bureaucrat threshold for state formation.

Has anyone tried this before?

But that's the whole point. I can't disband them because they are holding down the Resistance and hold my ports. I try to find a way using less MP to fight the resistance. Or i'm just salty and the resistance mechanic sucks ass and there is nothing more to it than wasting huge chunks of MP in suppression and securing.

I don't think that is how it works

Bug.

New world pops don't migrate overseas

Well that's fucking stupid. No reason you shouldn't be able to start your own colonization process if you grab African clay in time.

I thought about that but it doesn't seems like a good idea in the early wartime when you need the resources but it sounds like it doesn't really matter in the end time of the war. Also all of the country laws seems shit. I can't wrap my mind around it that ultra harsh law does not suppress the resistance more than very lax.

you can colonize all you want, just don't expect thousands of people to sign up to go live in your jungle

ck2 if that wasn't obvious. i'm a vassal under a kingom which is under another kingdom so on direct vassals map mode i just see the kingdom i'm in and not my own borders. really annoying for tracking what land i control and I cant think of a fix.