/evn/- sprites and scripts

Thread for the discussion of visual novels originally created in English, other than those belonging to /ksg/.

Do you have a question about a Japanese visual novel or a translation of it?
/vn/ is ready to answer it. We are not them.

>Developer Resources, Getting Started:
pastebin.com/7LsCvtq3 (embed) (embed)

>Recommended Reading:
vndb.org/v/all?q=;fil=olang-en.tagspoil-0;o=d;s=rating
pastebin.com/zGVSpH0B (embed) (embed)

>For Developers. Huge collection of guides on everything:
meganelover.com/post/122965940223/visual-novel-creation-masterlist

>Ren'Py Download:
renpy.org/

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/396860
kickstarter.com/projects/dharkerstudio/the-bounce-visual-novel-series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Why are we so incompetent?

Hope she doesn't swim with glasses on.

You are, I'm not.

YOU CAN'T JUST HAVE YOUR CHARACTERS ANNOUNCE HOW THEY FEEL

This makes me feel sad.

Sure you can.

But if you do, there's a significant chance you're a shit writer.

bump

hello guys. I have a request for the indie devs here.

I am looking to interview indie game developers on PR and communicating with their team, their audience, and the local gaming blogs that cover them. Whether or not you are shilling your game, how you manage your social networks, these are all questions I am looking to get answered. I know a lot of you want to remain anonymous but links to your game/brand's website and personal stories help immensely. I'm writing a piece on how a indie developers should interact with the people around them.

Thanks guys!

Then why are you here?

What is this for, college, a blog, an established website, personal research?

There's no hangout for competent EVN people.

college assignment, personal research, and for a future indie game dev website.

I'm most aware of the evn scene.

>Do stuff for me for free
Nah.

so..... you expect to be paid for an interview? I was not aware this was a thing.

Gaming blogs?

AJ Tilley's Summer Fling was released first on Nutaku before any other platform. Sakura Dungeon did the same thing. Is it possible that Nutaku is giving them some financial incentive to do that?

I am seeing this a lot and I want to rant about it, because why not?

"Hi, I want to get into writing for VNs, how do I do that?"
"Well, you write a VN."
"Sure, sure. But how can I do that?"
"Oh, well, are you writing a linear game or a branching game or what? I can give you tips on how I do it."
"No, no, no, that's not what I mean, I mean, how do I get into writing for VNs?"
"Well... look for people looking for writers. Some artists have ideas, but aren't confident in their writing."
"I don't want to work on someone else's ideas."
"Then post that you're a writer looking for artists."
"I actually really want an established team to work with."
"Right. So you want an already established team to take you on to write your ideas."
"Yeah."
"And you don't have any prior experience."
"Not yet. So, how much do people usually pay writers?"
"..."

I'd assume you'd email game reviewers or game blogs to get your game out there in the open.

Ever since the whole GG thing, does anyone trust game news sites to cover their game?

>Give reviewer a free key.
>They give it a really negative review and say how sexist it was, while being a drama queen over minor fanservice.

so you'd only give game keys to certain reviewers then?

>giving VNsNow a game key for him to shit all over your "cum on the waifu" game

you were asking for that bad review really.

A reviewer that's sure to say that your game's shit, because it's not to their taste personally, isn't someone you'd want to review your game. If you're making a fanservice game, then giving a key to a SJW reviewer isn't going to give you good results.

Give your game to Lets Players who actually play visual novels, yo.

who could know that? the only devs working with them are WC and AJtilley, who also happen to be the most successful EVN devs at the moment, and might get special treatment that other devs would not.

i'll wait and see if devs flee for the hills like they did with MG.

See, I don't get being happy about LPers playing through your ENTIRE vn and showing everyone, every single route and everything.

It's not like a non-evn game where the people who watch those LPs want to buy the game so they can experience the fun of playing the game. You don't play evns as much as you read them to their completion and when LPers do that for your game, their audience will be like "well that satisfied my curiosity and I know everything that happens, now I don't have to buy it :D"

still, useless to fight back against LPers from doing your vn, so I see it as a losing situation.

does high LPs of evns correlate with how many units evns sell?

Wrong. People who would have an interest in playing your VN will, a lot of the time, stop watching something to avoid spoilers.

People with a mentality like yours are the reason Root Double can't have half of it streamed or put on Youtube, and nobody knows about Root Double as a result.

They didn't "flee for the hills" from MG. Most all-ages games don't sell well for them and they decided to discontinue selling them on their store, since those games weren't generating revenue.

As for Winged Cloud, then ditched Sekai Project, went to MangaGamer, then when MangaGamer's payment processor was down, announced that they were back with Sekai Project. It's obvious that Winged Cloud is difficult to work with.

Do you have a single fact to back that up?

If your VN is fairly short and especially if it's kinetic, then the lets play won't increase sales.

Most people want to see the entire playthrough as a "free demo" of the game. And why pay $30+ for something you just experienced for free? The watchers are the youtubers fans, not people who are invested in supporting the industry. The number of people who whine if they can't see the entire game on youtube is staggering.

is there something in the contract of either SP or MG that says "you cannot sell your games anywhere else but with us"?

I think Sekai wants it to be on a platform they can publisher money from, while MangaGamer doesn't seem to have any such restriction, since AJ Tilley's games and Huniepop were never restricted to MG's site. And they even gave Steam users the free 18+ patch, basically eliminating the main reason to buy the version on MangaGamer's site anyway.

I don't know why you would team with Sekai then instead of MG. MG seems like a better deal.

Up

>They didn't "flee for the hills" from MG.
no evn dev seems to have went back to working with them after one game.

and even innocent grey went into some random partnership with JAST for seemingly no reason after working with MG

Most annoying part of making a VN (for you)?

Finding some money to not starve to death.

this tbqhwy

oic, you went with the easy mode answer.

Doing everything yourself while people disappear on you.

Carpal tunnel

Twitch streamers do it all the time, when they receive a present.

Waiting months for my artist to deliver.

That happens with people "trying" to learn art as as well. They'll go to some community, not even start doing exercises for fundamentals or sketch for fun and ask "How do I learn how to draw?".

I think it's just that people want something special to do, find one thing that looks sort of low effort to them and then they're not cognitive enough to realise that what they're really looking for is for other people to give meaning to their lives.

This

I've not been trusting reviewers for years now, I didn't need some internet "scandal" to find out that a lot of these pretentious bloggers recommend stuff based on quite how smug the game makes them feel and how many meaningless sentences it allows them to write.

I just have lots of friends who like to play games, I usually use their recommendations.

Feel free to roast me for bumping/bantering purposes.
Hopefully that will stave off dead for a while.

Not bad. The nose and lips look jacked up though. Keep it up senpai.

It looks really great in the thumbnail. Finer details are a little off, but either you're capable of fixing them in the next stage or you're not far off from mastering them. Thanks for sharing.

The first two hours of writing everyday. After that I seem to warm up and actually accomplish stuff.

Can I fug those nostrils?

Only if you have either a small dick or an impressive force of will.

It depends on the interview, what's covered, how much work it is, what the interviewee gets out of it, and how generous they feel.

I'm usually willing to answer a few vague questions when they're clearly for a college paper (you can usually tell by the questions, the way they're phrased and how little sense they make). I answer a few more specific questions for publicity purposes, though I'll pick what I say.

That's different than expecting a professional to give you detailed instructions on how to succeed in their business.

Giving someone a review key does not and should not guarantee a positive review. That WOULD be unethical games journalism.

Obviously you can skew things in your favor by picking reviewers who appear to like the kind of game you are making.

But sometimes, shit happens and your award-winning game lands in the lap of someone who does not get it and publishes "This is complete shit with no gameplay and I odn't understand why anyone would play it ever, 1/5".

And then you just suck it up and deal.

People who post in the comments on the LP saying that they went ahead and bought the game? Particularly when the LP is slow and they don't want to wait.

Generally that's how a publisher contract works. You can't sell the game on your own elsewhere unless you've worked out exceptions with them.

It's certainly possible to get into a less-exclusive arrangement if both parties are up for it, or at least to keep the rights to do certain things like sell on your own website or sell CDs at conventions, but it's all in what both parties agree to.

If someone sends you a contract you ARE supposed to look it over and make suggestions for changes before you sign it.

I know I've personally bought games because of LPs. Even when they played the entire game. Of course, the opposite is also true - a game I might have picked up on sale ended up not getting bought thanks to a LP, but I'd already made that decision before they finished the first route. The LPer playing only part of a route wouldn't have made me more likely to pick it up. But, hey, most of those were Winter Wolves games and I already knew I wasn't really impressed before the start of the LP. (And I ended up getting most of those games in bundles anyway.)

I've seen plenty of story-rich games get comments along the lines of, "I stopped watching here because I don't to spoil it for myself for my own game - looking forward to catching up with the series after I play!" or "Aaah cliffhanger! Can't wait for the next episode. Buying the game."

Granted, all of these are anecdotes, not empirical studies. But will agree that if yours is a kinetic novel for pay, your chances of getting people to pick up your game after watching a LP is likely lower.

Me, I'll take the risk that some people might pass on buying the game from watching a LP. I think the potential of having someone's fans deciding to support the game is higher than someone who would have bought the game deciding not to because they saw the game played. Some LPer fans make a point of supporting the games their senpai play.

Only if the game is 18+.

AJ Tilley has released multiple titles under them. And the other devs that no longer use them don't make 18+ titles, and there's no point with non 18+ titles don't sell well for them.

Japanese developers aren't exclusive. MangaGamer is releasing a Frontwing game, even though Frontwing worked with Sekai Project before that. MangaGamer also partnered with Propeller, even they're connected with JAST. JAST promised that Flowers would have a quick release last fall, and they broke that promise, basically eliminating the reason they agreed to work with them.

The people who decided not to buy the game after watching are likely a silent group.
>Oh boy, I loved this game. I'm so glad I don't need to pay for it now!

Over The Hills And Far Away is selling at 70% discount this week

store.steampowered.com/app/396860

Is anyone doing something for Yaoi Jam?

iirc, we have like 3 anons working on stuff.

Game dev depression.

I will be irrigating my herbs.

Crashing this plane.

Winter Wolves is getting hated on on /v/. More specifically, Planet Stronghold Colonial Defense is.

> hating on the gayness and not literally anything else

>Anonymous 06/11/16(Sat)16:09:09 No.340748653▶
(OP)
>beautiful hand painted art

It looks like shit.

And the art.

They also hated on the focus on dating at all and the art.

Well yes. Obviously there are also people who don't buy the game after watching. That doesn't detract from the point that some people DO.

It's /v/ who cares what they think? Even the games they like, they hate

I'm beginning to suspect that everyone jumped to /v/ to argue with them about .

I wondered that too but are we ever that active?

>kickstarter.com/projects/dharkerstudio/the-bounce-visual-novel-series
27,000 and 9 days to go.

when we shitpost we are

If people want to throw away therir money that badly, they should just give it to me.

yeah that's exactly what happened

Oops, seems like everyone is shitposting in that /v/ thread. Can't let this one die.

But there's more people in that thread to talk to! We're so lonely here

Hell yeah. That thread has a reply every few seconds now. I've never experienced something like that, I've only ever been over here in these stagnating waters.

Not saying it's bad. I'm there too!

come baaaaack

Looking for GUI design ideas. Post cool, flashy ones, even if not strictly from evns.

I tried linking back here, but they refuse to leave their debate. They just can't resist the arguing and drama.

Can't talk about the others, but I'd rather use that /v/ thread instead of discussing crap here. Kind of want to keep this one reasonably clean.

Pretty much this. Besides, what's else to dicuss here about that topic?

Of all people, evn devs are one of the last to have problems with female protags or homo content.

>tfw not doing either one

Well definitely not that one man, it looks like a mess. Jeez.

It would be fine if it didn't have that hude black part of the left.

Just the first example I found en vndb without the standard minimalistic GUI. Gaudy is what I need, but just as inspiration to mix and match with other things. Not as the final result, which ideally will be more sober.

Some user here mentioned a blog that reviewed VN GUIs, but I don't think he posted a link. Does anyone know the site?