Lost history under the sea

Veeky Forums Much of the world history has been lost by the sea level rise:

Bouldnor Cliff
"Fishermen had reported recovering stone tools from the seabed since the 1960s, Later radiocarbon dating of pollen revealed this to be approximately 8,000 years old.
It was while diving in 11 metres of water in 1999, that divers noticed a burrowing lobster discarding worked flints from its burrow. The lobster had burrowed through thick mud deposits.
Since 1999, divers have excavated at Bouldnor every year. Further discoveries were made.
several years of fieldwork have revealed that Bouldnor was a settlement site about 8,000 years ago, at a time when lower sea levels meant that the Solent was just a river valley. The work done so far has already revealed that the technology of Mesolithic settlers was probably 2,000 years ahead of what had previously been believed" Research published in 2015 has identified wheat DNA at the site. As this wheat is of a type not native to Britain, it suggests the possibility of trade with Europe much earlier than had previously been supposed by archaeologists"

Other urls found in this thread:

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/sunken_cities.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni_Monument
youtube.com/watch?v=BemsLUldVAo
bbc.com/news/uk-england-30905267
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Naia is a 12,000- to 13,000-year-old human skeleton of a teenage female that was found on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. The bones were part of a 2007 discovery of a cache of animal bones in an underwater chamber called Hoyo Negro (Spanish for "Black Hole") in the Sac Actun cave system.[1] The remains have been described as the "oldest, most complete and genetically intact human skeleton in the New World".The skeleton, dubbed "Naia" (an ancient Greek name related to water nymphs) by her discoverers, belonged to a teenage girl who fell more than 100 feet to her death nearly a half mile inside an elaborate network of karst caves that were dry at the end of the Pleistocene.

always wondered what happened to the people living on the numerous land bridges throughout human history

So Atlantis could be based on a real city lost to the sea when the levels rose ?

The British Museum has a big exhibition going on right now about two sunken Egyptian cities.

britishmuseum.org/whats_on/exhibitions/sunken_cities.aspx

Why do topics like these always lead to such retarded conclusions?

Seems like a reasonable basis for the Atlantis myth. What's the problem?

This map shows the land lost to the sea. you can see huge portions were lost in indnesia and northern Europe. What ever cultures were near the coast are lost under the water

Doggerland is very interesting, human remains have been found in this now sunken area

Imagine what lost civilizations are now underwater

That Persian Gulf though.

--> /x/

Without getting to /x/, I have always been intrigued by this "feature." Looks like the work of humans to me.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yonaguni_Monument

look it's this simple
Every ancient culture had a flood myth
It's one of the things that is possible but really just probably some myth

>ancient myth and history is simple
This is why Veeky Forums is bad.

>this is why Veeky Forums is bad
>says the tripfag

at least my insults are topical.

The idea of complex Ice Age civilizations has always fascinated me. Maybe it's because I'm a big Conan fan and if they were real it would basically be a real life Hyborian Age, albeit without the giant monsters and the dark magic.

>without the giant monsters
At least there would be sabertooths.

What do you think about the alternative Egyptology that tries to make the case for the "Old Kingdom" actually being a separate ice age civilization?

I don't personally believe it but find that kind of thing interesting. Lost cities under the Sahara desert, or pre creation of the Mediterranean, all "I WANT TO BELEIVE" shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=BemsLUldVAo

>land bridges

There doing about of work on the Doggerland bridge this year I believe.

bbc.com/news/uk-england-30905267

PHEIA

Oh, yes, there's no doubt. When we find things like Gobekli Teppe, which clearly shows complex civilizations over 12 000 years ago. It only shows that the narrative we have of history is not nuanced enough. People have always lived on the coast, over the course of thousands of years, even complex manmade structures will look completely unrecognizable.

"roughly 12,000 years ago, as the last major ice age was reaching its end, the area was very different. Instead of the North Sea, the area was a series of gently sloping hills, marshland, heavily wooded valleys, and swampy lagoons.
modern fishermen often find ancient bones and tools that date to about 9,000 years ago. These artifacts brought Doggerland’s submerged history to the attention of British and Dutch archaeologists and paleontologists.