/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread:boards.Veeky Forums.org/vg/thread/145059468#top

>New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

boards.Veeky
strawpoll.me/10453254
youtube.com/watch?v=iP369OWR6uY
strawpoll.me/10453328
zackbellgames.com/2014/10/28/understanding-collision-basics/
youtube.com/watch?v=ZBVrPWwSlRM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

first for brutal rape

Reminder to post with trip #rocket to join the team that will win Space Jam!

Github organization established, trello too, plenty of donated assets :) We're gonna make it!

Female: To protect the world from devastation
Gay Male: To unite all peoples within our nation
Female: To denounce the evils of truth and love
Male: To extend our reach to the stars above

I just bought Game Maker: Studio after using a pirated copy for ages.

What have I done...

Where can I donate my asses?

Right in my face baby

Here's how to filter the tripfags, I know some guy was asking last thread so I made a guide.

In SNES art, how many colors could be displayed per sprite? What about Genesis?

>a transient collab trip is the same as a tripfag
Reminder to post with trip #rocket to clench up the assholes of people who spend too much time policing proper /agdg/ ettiquette

In the time you took to post that you could've googled it you lazy fuck

The Genesis had 16 colors per palette (or 15 + transparency), 4 palettes per screen. Not sure about the SNES.

snes was 16 bit at base, but was overclocked 20% for early 90s standards so 16 + 20% = 19.2 to the 8th power = 18467573222 colors. im not an expert on genesis but I believe it was usually 80% as powerful so you can base it off that. my older brother used to take apart consoles so I know a bit about this stuff

The Picture Processing Unit (PPU) used in the Super NES has a 15-bit RGB (32,768 color) palette, with up to 256 simultaneous colors.

Kill yourself.

yep, the math checks out

Actually nevermind, I've decided to join Team Rocket

>boards.Veeky Forums.org/vg/thread/145059468#top
user...

I believe it was more like 16bit x 90s = ~1400 colors

I still keep getting connection errors. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Sure you did

Have you considered the benefits of protecting the world from devastation?

Reminder that Team Rocket says NO! to object oriented programming!

>decide to learn about spess physics to see how it's supposed to work
>find out about the addition of relative velocities

what the actual fuck

why does it work like that

pic unrelated

servers are fucked up, Hiro doesn't know what he's doing.
nothing new

shopped

I think it's time to filter the trip.
I'm going to unfilter it once the jam officially starts, July 14th, and if these fucks don't have a game I'm gonna be disappointed in them.

Reminder that Team Rocket says YES! to static type systems

or really, whatever type system works for you

Did some basic work on a 'beginning' enemy and item drops. Enemies will always drop something and what it drops is based on your current Health and current MP, and hopefully you won't get health drops if you have full MP and vice versa. If they are equal it picks one at random and otherwise it goes off of some weights in favor of health. The items coming out of the enemy are not as exciting as I hoped but I'll work on that later.

spess is weird my nigga. physics are crazy.

Reminder to post with trip #spacestation to collab on a VN that takes place in a space station.

Also ignore autists who can't tell the difference between tripfags and using trips for transient collabs.

How can I add a trail effect behind my sprites? I vaguely remember the Combine's eyes in Half Life 2 doing something similar, that's pretty much what I want to do.
The only thing I can think of is to quickly draw a bunch of shapes behind the sprites, then erase them after a few seconds.

literally why not just make a discord or whatever the latest chat gimmick is.
All you're doing is mucking up the thread with minutely reminders about your circlejerk.

If you have actual progress, sure post it.
But you're actually getting people to filter possible progress because of your incessant advertising.

>dogposting stops
>tripshit posting begins

strawpoll.me/10453254

Probably more for /sqt/ or /dpt/ but no matter.
Why would you ever copy something directly instead of just referencing it?

Dude fuck off.

to learn how it works

What should be the next thing I work on? other than multiplayer The AI could use some improvement, but the UI still uses the really old UI system in unity and I'm not sure how to use the newer one.

post dev music.

youtube.com/watch?v=iP369OWR6uY
why do female voices turn me on so much.

A reference adds a level of indirection, plus you have to copy the reference itself. Sometimes, just a straight copy could be cheaper.

>5 minutes long
How is this a dev music post? I'm supposed to dev for 5 minutes and then get interrupted to find something new?

>Sometimes, just a straight copy could be cheaper.
When would that be?
Just realized I know fuck-all about programming so I'm going through a Bjarne book again.

right click and select 'loop'? That song is good for a good 2 or 3 hours on repeat. perfect dev music.

>He didn't buy it during the Humble Weekly
user...

Gamemaker is winning, let's run with that. I understand reluctance with posting as a group trip since some /agdg/ers have lost their buttplug up inside them creating a considerable amount of rage. What next, a github?

Anyone else feel burnt out doing your dayjob all day, wanting to come home and relax, but know you have to work on your game for the rest of the night or else you'll never go anywhere?

When it's cheaper than what I just stated. Typically, whenever the thing you're copying is the size of a machine word or smaller.

It would also be beneficial to pass by value if you were going to copy within the function anyways.

Alright, thanks m8.

No, I never feel like I want to relax. Relaxing is a waste of potential. The only time I take breaks from studying, working on something, exercising, etc, is when I feel like a break is necessary in order to begin working at full effectiveness again.

strawpoll.me/10453328

Wish I could find that motivation sometimes. Instead I'll relax anyway and just feel bad about it, which doesn't let me fully enjoy relaxing.

It's actually really shitty. Start playing a video game? Feel guilty, I should be working. Go see a movie with my friends? What the fuck are you doing you should be studying. Go out to eat with family? There are people your age building self-driving cars at google and writing javascript libraries used by millions of people and you're here wasting your time eating food.

High stress all the time bro.

No wonder you guys have so much trouble jeez, relax. I can't believe being so hard on yourself helps your productivity.

you must cast away the shackles of wagery, accept the freedom of NEET.

1 hour work then 30 minute break is the ideal dev schedule. 15 minute eating break every other cycle. if you skip an eating break you must wait until the next one. keeps pooping in sync which saves more time

what happens when your benefits stop?

I'm calling "Must infiltrate system" for space station VN.

See, the beautiful part about this method of collab, is if you strongly disagree with this, you could just do I dunno, trip #spacestation2 or #spessVN or whatever. I think it's more inline with the agdg/Veeky Forums ideology than having some rando user match us up. I am glad they volunteered to do this, but it's a single point of failure and I think we can do better.

Was just working on some low poly. It's really fun how quick you can make a character.

Live and dev inside of a van.

Death

isn't this also how trips were originally intended too? like a per-thread identifier but here a project instead

Can't dev unless you got battery power, vans aren't magical infinite battery supplies.

This guy gets it.

Teach me your ways, wise one

Take it elsewhere ffs

At least I can filter you fucks, can at least thank you for that

Bro, yes. Please keep working on this. Kawaii girls wearing mecha armor and/or big weapons like that is the absolute best.

Didn't mean to put a halt to your dev process, thanks for spending the time out of working on your game to post this

Any tips on how to go down slopes smoothly?

You are working on your game, right? Probably you are too busy to respond to this

Make sure to walk regularly too, and if possible do at least a short workout each day. A healthy body will keep you devving better than anything else.

I'm watching anime ok? it counts as gamedev you wouldn't understand baka

>0-4 work on a bunch of easy shit
>5-9 fix enemy ai

If I make a game that is incredibly similar to another gsme, but obviously made by me... Could I get sued?

I used this as a guide. He also has some things on the marketplace that are free that you can look at.

no

ok this kind of works so far, we've agreed on a VN set in a space station, made with Gamemaker, where you infiltrate a space station.

Fuck I forgot to link. zackbellgames.com/2014/10/28/understanding-collision-basics/

You can steal game mechanics all you want. Just don't steal characters or anything like that. But that should be obvious.

>1-4 cry in bathtub
>5-9 dev
>0 both at same time

fuh

gz

UGH FILTER UGH MUH AGDG SHITPOSTING UGH DISGUSTING

Thanks, it's pretty similar to a solution I tried before, but I didn't know if it was worth it to fix the bugs. I'll go along with it then

I wish this shit was in C++. It's so hard to try and follow/understand blueprints that are bigger than 10 nodes.

Simple pause state counts as progress right? Fuck it I'll post it, people need to post more progress.

Jetgirl is cute! That looks awesome. What's it for?

I really hope you get an artist or something, I can't wait to see this at its full potential.

You can convert it to c++ m8

Reminder that team rocket are cool guys who contribute and don't always wear their uniform.

>Forgetting my webm
Wow.

Design ideas for the player character. What do you think?

Report what? Collaboration when the next jam is Space/collab themed? Which rule is this violating?

>waaaaah report fun, this clenches my anus

Looks awesome. Is the nose,mouth, and eyes separate textures? Can I see your mesh?

If they're actually yours
2 > 1 > 3 cute wise
armor wise
1 > 2 > 3

Reminder to post with trip #rocket to join the team that will win Space Jam! Disregard autists who need OFFICIAL collab methods. We can do this on our own. Masturbatory gestures to nodevs who think AGDG ettiquette is progress.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZBVrPWwSlRM

>Tumblr nose
>Freckles
I think that it looks pretty stupid

>taking off your trip to respond
wew

absolute trash