What are the best historical manga?

What are the best historical manga?

Romae Thermae

What is even going on in that picture?

Macedonia marching around Cardia to intimidate the Cardians into betraying Athens.

drill practice

Hyouge Mono

Brides Story is fucking beautiful.

Russians soon.

Golden Kamuy is pretty good, even if the historical setting is just a backdrop to insane shit happening in early 20th century Hokkaido.

Not truly historical, but Musashi. A fucking masterpiece.

>bride's story
OTOYOMEGATARI

The list of /gsg/ approved anime:

GOAT tier
Legend of Galactic Heroes
The Cockpit

Very good tier
Zipang
Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade
Royal Space Force (The Wings of Honneamise)
Hyouge Mono

Interesting tier
Kumo no You ni, Kaze no You ni
Flag
Night Raid 1931
The Rose of Versailles and Eikou no Napoleon – Eroica
Miss Hokusai
Schwarzesmarken
Berserk

PTSD tier
Grave of the Fireflies
Barefoot Gen

Comfy SoL tier
Sora No Woto
Pumpkin Scissors

Ok tier
Mobile Suit Gundam 00
Mobile Suit Gundam 08
Mobile Suit Gundam I
Turn A Gundam
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Code Geass
Arslan Senki

It's pseudo-historical, but Shoukoku no Altair gets points for being drawn/written by an actual historian.
Also for having the best MC.

Vinland Saga is also quite good.

And this.

Other good historical manga not mentioned so far:

Alexandros
Cesare
Cestus
Innocent
Innocents Shounen Juujigun (The Children's Crusade)
Oudou no Inu
Oooku : The Inner Chamber
Sangokushi (Yokoyama's 1974 version)
Shigurui

Many of these adapt novels and take various liberties, but are rather well-researched.

Rurouni kenshin obvsly

Ad Astra: Scipio to Hannibal

Bokko is really well written.

>asks for historical manga
>suggests Gundam

I love the Cesare series. Shit is all sorts of aesthetics and it was made in collaboration with an academic historian.

And the story will make you feel major feels.

>Reddite redire

You mean vagabond?

>anime and manga are the same thing right?
>just like map-painting and history
>Lactating Gay Homosexuals above Wings of Honneamise
What the fuck is the theme of this list even supposed to be?

Shit that the plebs at /gsg/ find awesome.

Vinland Saga is GOAT Tier, the character development is crazy

Why can't nips draw faces? Why are all nip stories cringy self insert edgy highschool fantasies? Why can't nips colour? Why can't nips into proportion?

>Arslan Senki

You sure show them.

the mahabharata

Why do nips exaggerate everything while completely losing perspective of what's actually valuable in art and life?

why do westerners try to force their obnoxious political views into their comics about masked ubermensch beating up disenfranchised youths

Don't strawman.

you first

Great taste

But, thats like, your opinion man.

>hating on Space Preußen
remove yourself

underrated

Thats not West vs East, but Japan vs US.

There is stuff from other countries too, you know.

Gunka no Balzar has a great story, great characters, the political stuff is really well done, the art is nice and also has a delicious reverse trap.

Koukoku no Shugosha. It's about a notImperial Russian invasion of notImperial Japan. There's some fantasy elements but for the most part it's a pretty cool story focused on turn of the 20th century warfare.

I fucking hated the end though

>There's some fantasy elements
Dropped.

I hope that picture is a Leviathan reference

Kingdom
Shut Hell
Feng Shen Ji
Berserk
Vinland Saga
Ryuuroden
Ravages of Time
Blade of the Immortal
Blood and Steel
>Golden Kamuy
>Shigurui
Hell yeah

sdgt

Pic related is objectively the best, I don't know about historical accuracy though.

>why can't nips draw faces
American comics are so much better! Check out my pic, it's a collage of some of Greg Land's best work, one of the most prominent American comic book artists.

>Historical
>Legend of Galactic Heroes

To be fair, anyone who's interested in war politics and history is going to cum buckets to LoGH. Nothing has topped it worldwide in television as far as that goes.

this

what? he just traces everything?

doesn't he have an imagination?

He's a hack. There are talented American artists, though, but the industry is a bit of a sham when this guy keeps getting hired by one of the top two publishers.

There are historical works, and then there are those works of fiction in which any resemblance to real events or people is completely voluntary.

That isn't even the best of Kago's "historical" manga, try Korokoro Soushi or Dance! Kremlin Palace

Ad Astra
Ravages of Time
Historie
Gunka No Baltzar
Sengoku
Nobunaga no Chef
Kagemusha
Otoyomegatari
Kingdom
Vinland Saga
Arslan Senki
Drifters
Vagabond
Shigurui

Are there any historical manga where all the characters are replaced by cute girls?

There are a few Rance-style visual novel/strategy game hybrids that replace historical figures with moeblobs, but I don't know of a manga like that.

On the other hand there are plenty in which the characters are cute boys, such as Boku no Chopin.

Holy shit that's Kago? Fucker gotten pretty good in drawing stuff. I remember how he claim to have started publishing manga with basically no experience and just made up (literal) shit for fun.

> Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Zipang
Well-known but remain a must-read for anyone.
> Eien no zero
Also pretty good. It's about some guy searching information about his grand father who was a pilot in WW2.
> Billy Bat
It's about a huge conspiracy that can be retraced as far as who knows. It delve a bit towards the fantastic but history takes the major place in it. And it's made by Naoki Urasawa so quality is guaranteed.
> Sidooh
19 century samurai deals are caught at the near end of the Edo era. Shits happen.
> History of Japan
Retells the entire contemporary story of Japan in manga form. Didn't read it yet but I heard good things about it.
> Innocent
Charles-Henri Sanson is a qt.pie that execute people for the french court. His life suck and the whole manga is filled with homo-eroticism. Would still recommend because it's really interesting.

Vinland Saga, while obviously a bit historically inaccurate, is quite entertaining for those of you who really like Vikings

/gsg/ not Veeky Forums
Some are related tho

yeah until the author starts self-inserting herself as some romaboo genius

okay for the record

Spiderman is cooler than kamen rider

japanese spiderman maybe

Onwards Towards Our Noble Deaths is a semi-autobiographical account of a Japanese combat unit on New Guinea during WW2.

redire is the infinitive, not the imperative !?!?

The fabric makes me cream

>Why can't nips draw faces?

Also,
>everything has to be realism
>he can't into stylization

Is there an explanation for why Iron Man's armor bends and folds like skin?

Shigeru Mizuki's Showa.

Fucking Inoue should work harder

I'm sick of waiting, reread Vagabond for like the third time a few months back

It's a common stylistic choice for superhero comics. Basically, they draw naked people and then color the fabric onto them. Makes the muscles pop more.

Still don't know why the artist did that for Iron Man though.

>Still don't know why the artist did that for Iron Man though.

Because he traced a picture of a guy not wearing rigid clothing. There is no in-universe explanation

Sayonara Zetsoubo Sensei

Wow did this actually happen?

Wtf I hate America now

I'm aware of that, I just figured there had to be more than that because it's so unbelievably stupid to draw metal suits in such a manner.

Its kind of alt history now considering it assumes an Earth Federation was fromed around the end of the Cold War, or during, I dont know if it ever tells you how it came tglogether

Dagashi Kashi, when it comes to the history of japanese sweets.

I like this one

I persobally enjoy Shoukoku no Altair and Gunka no Baltzar.

>disliking eastern trash means you like western trash

I've got a pretty big folder desu senpai

>manga

Fuck off with your weeb trash.

SEMI-CIRCLES

>tfw you can't like both
I know that feel, despite us being opposites...

Are the pikes in this illustration scaled correctly? They're almost as tall as the walls and I can't see how a man can maneuver them without being clumsy.

>you'll never be a young boy doing /ss/ with his older qt3.14 amazon wife

Vinland Saga is great

Dear lord, is that thorfinn after growing up?

Yes. Still kicking as you can see !

Also no one mentioned pic related. It's Wolfsmund, set in 14th century switzerland, under austrian domination. Although the historic accuracy is not always present [spoiler]Wilhelm fucking Tell is here[/spoiler], it's still pleasant to read

Do you have an example besides eiyuu senki?

Were post battle orgies actually a thing?

That wouldn't surprise me. Everything was cooler before protestants

Showa by Shigeru Mizuki