/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Space inspo edition.

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

> Waifu Jam finished, go play some games!
itch.io/jam/wj2016

Previous thread: >New /agdg/ Website (Still in beta)
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Helpful Links: alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/QwcSPdnx

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10462615
clyp.it/qnvulpe0
youtu.be/dk8W_E-cDlY
youtube.com/watch?v=05i1QhCJRDw
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54522709/progress.webm
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=english&id=690210935
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for OOP

Reminder to post with trip #rocket to join the team that will win Space Jam!

Last thread sucked.

Try harder.

For the beta I won't be allowing any image uploads, but if I did I'd be doing it through firebase, which uses the google docs services to upload files, so if anyone tried to upload CP google would know about it basically immediately.

I sculpted it in MudBox and then exported the Heightmap to World Machine for better natural erosion and shit like that and then, I imported it into UE4...

That doesn't stop link sharing. Are you going to have mods? It's honestly too much work for something that's not needed

What are responsibilities/liabilities of a webmasta for if folks are trading like, links to CP via your site? Maybe I'm overly paranoid but these would be the kind of things I would wonder if I was hosting such a thing. I'd personally try to move the collab'ing off-site as soon as the people are connected but I don't know your plans for it. But the less user-provided content you have to host, the better, I'd imagine.

>What are responsibilities/liabilities of a webmasta for if folks are trading like, links to CP via your site?
As long as you remove them, and comply with any law agency, you're fine.

>But the less user-provided content you have to host, the better, I'd imagine.
Yeah, it's tough. I have a few other projects I'm running that I don't need to worry about nearly as much but with Veeky Forums you never really know. People have been asking for a collab tool for a while so I'm thinking I want to at least provide a way for people to advertise they want someone to work with.

No mods. But also no link sharing. For the collab request system I'm thinking just anons filling out a form that has:
- A checkbox for what kind of collaber they need (artist, programmer, idea guy, music)
- a field for how to contact them
- a textarea for explaining what they need

They will be deleted after 1 week.

>What are responsibilities/liabilities of a webmasta for if folks are trading like, links to CP via your site?
Alert FBI, supply IP logs for who has accessed the site, and delete content.

Why are you even bothering?
e-collabs are the worst shit ever.
Don't bring unnecessary shit on yourself BLD.

waifus

I see, interesting. It sounds like you're capable enough to make something work, it'll be fun to see what happens.

>Why are you even bothering?
The only reason is because there's been a lot of people that have asked for it. That's the only reason I'd ever add anything to the site.

By the way, I just got game settings to work after struggling to understand a really basic issue :^)

where are the waifu space games?

Weren't you doing a sidescrolling frog game? What's all this then

So what does oop mean?

Perhaps they're bringing back the ancient art of trolling, in which they create maximum damage with minimal effort.

"Yeah collab is a good idea"

and then other Anons waste years of their life

Why hasn't anyone actually tried to emulate Doom's gameplay with a strong emphasis on projectile monsters, being able to bait and whiff melee attacks, monster infight, and have big levels? If someone could pull it off correctly it'd certainly gain quite a bit of traction.

It'd be infinitely better than those garbage "retro inspired" shooters that've been rearing their ugly heads up with procedurally generated stages

>Why hasn't anyone actually tried to emulate Doom's gameplay
Because they make a .wad instead

You really think people would do that? Just fuck with me in a mean-spirited way when I just wanna help make aggydaggydev lives a little easier? Well, the second most requested thing is a shilling page for completed games so devs can have their itch/steam/google play/apple store games linked.

To be honest the on ly thing they do is spam the threads with the same stuff over and over, so I doubt they can really think outside that box.
>Well, the second most requested thing is a shilling page for completed games so devs can have their itch/steam/google play/apple store games linked.
I love that idea.

Musicfag with writer's block here, describe your game and I'll write a shitty loop for it

you fuck hot anime girls

When I was running the Recap, people would fuck with me nonstop.

>You really think people would do that? Just fuck with me in a mean-spirited way when I just wanna help make aggydaggydev lives a little easier?
Yes, absolutely.

Maybe I'll work on that instead then.

:(

So you basically work out for 4-6 every day unless you're running errands?

You just gotta decide between being 2swole and being a gamedev mang

I think it's likely people would do that sometimes, but I also think there is some sincere interest in collabing too. And if you had a system that was mostly resilient to trolling, I do think it could fulfill a need. Worst that happens is: illegal content, but it sounds like you have that covered... "let's collab / haha just kidding" which is ultimately pointless... or nobody ever uses it, in which case you can just remove it after pronouncing the RIP.

Quick /agdg/ give me some 3D work focusing music.

The problem is that the most resilient to trolling methods require user accounts, which I am absolutely unwilling to implement on the site. I considered a user account system where users do not actually have usernames, but instead have three passwords, but even that is borderline inappropriate.

Time balance is important, but you can definitely lift and work and gamedev. You just need to avoid having a social life.

The sweet music of discipline is all you need. Don't worry, it's a knowledge issue, not a willpower issue.

>Being a bitch

You are now forced to work for Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo in order to make games and thus for the rest of your life.

Where do you go, user?

strawpoll.me/10462615
strawpoll.me/10462615
strawpoll.me/10462615
strawpoll.me/10462615

clyp.it/qnvulpe0
ez

>forced
As in a code-monkey, or a Kojima type deal?

Reminder that bitterness and salt is the currency yesdevs and helpfulfriends here prefer to be paid in!

Next time someone helps you remember to tell them to fuck themselves and then shitpost about them nonstop. They're stupid cunts who need to get off their high horse, after all¡

Depends on you. You can work your way through there.

I dunno thats kind of rapey

Well what you laid out sounds like it wouldn't take a crazy amount of effort, and you could always shut it down if you were getting spam, or you could somehow just have it show you each ad for you to say "this is legit" or not quickly. I don't imagine there'd be a huge number of them per week.

But I guess it seems like a page for completed games is probably a better effort. Also I'm really excited for where your game is going! It's looking like it has some nice features already, congrats.

youtu.be/dk8W_E-cDlY

>Nintendo
>Rest of your life
>Nintendo is going to die soon
>You die with Nintendo
oh boy

Your point being?

Well Sony is ez mode, most success and all that. But I personally think it'd be more fun to work your way through the ranks of Nintendo like Shiggy did, and at this rate possibly save them. And replace that senile hack

sony

Nintendo has billions in reserve, they'll never die.

I voted Nintendo. Even after so many years they're the only ones I can still slightly relate to.

Anyone know of a tutorial on pixel art explosions/particle effects?

just make an explosions and pixel it down

Someone here is using Godot?
I never used it, is it good or should I create my own engine? (I'm creating android games)

Just make an explosion sprite like this.

Have you ever heard of Pokemon?

Ready to blast off and reach for the stars this Space Jam™

Thanks friend. I just wish I could art well. It's going to be a big hurdle.

pantsu

thats a pretty cute face

l-lewd

Don't troll me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just make a rough explosion, and refine it about a billion times over

Menu juice whatever the fuck

Drunkard walk > BSP Trees

Rule 34 of waifu jams when?

delet

*this

Make particle system explosion, render it to sprite.

Is it a good idea to get rog to narrate your game trailer?

youtube.com/watch?v=05i1QhCJRDw

Why even bother sculpting it when WM works better.

Space progress

make a 3D explosion simulator, take screenshots of one angle, re-colour each one in photoshop, put them all into a .gif

Let me fix this for you

Looks like BSP trees are for rendering polygons. How's random walk used here? tldr go on

How'd she break her leg?

Procgen algorithms

BSP Trees for random map generation basically create a bunch of rooms, then connect them with hallways.
Drunkard walk is used to create cave-ish type worlds.

oh ok, I'm just starting to look at the BSP tree algo

neat stuff

no bully pls.

No. My waifu is NOT for lewds.

>tfw it's barely not working

>have been working on this shit for years
>main gimmick is still fucked
duuuude

This would be relatively easy to do with particles that bounce around

>11 hours to implement texture mapping
time to sleep

But lewds can be tender lovemaking too, and that's what waifus are for.

What's not working about this?

Vector reflection is fun.

>look at the greenlight for that meme game
>people crying how a 2 hour and a half long game doesn't belong on steam
>tfw my game is going to be 2-3 hours

Should I just stop it all and give up already?

PLEASE

someone
rate
my
progress

PLEASE

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/54522709/progress.webm

thanks

>greenlight comments

Where to even start..

What game?

Also, no. Even the most shittiest game can get greenlit.

It's ugly and it looks like there's no skill to the combat. Looking forward to what you make of it in the future, though.

>What game?
I don't have one yet.

>Even the most shittiest game can get greenlit.
Unless you make a rock paper scissor game.

But yeah getting greenlit is not the problem, it's getting people to buy a 2 hour long game.

Goog stream when?

>people crying how a 2 hour and a half long game doesn't belong on steam
People who? There is way shrter games than that on steam, so they clearly don't have any saying on what belongs and what doesn't in steam. Don't give up, get your shit greenlighted and laught when retards like those complain about it.

I mean the meme game that had those comments.

Hey Gogem, you should take a look at Phi Brain and copy the games that appear in the show because they're pretty fun.

steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=english&id=690210935

how long would it take to make a simple game based on rock paper scissors?

3 years.

w-what. I didn't think it was that bad...

i'm s-sorry.... I only started last week....

i guess i will come back when I have something better.