What are some generally accepted historical books for people looking to start off learning history?

What are some generally accepted historical books for people looking to start off learning history?

that book case is shitty

If you want to start to get into History, you should at least get into the theory. You could check Burke's What is cultural history? for that

My reccs are:
>Howard Zinn's Peoples history of the USA
>RĂ¼diger Safranski's Schopenhauer and the wild years of philosophy
>Marc BLoch's The royal touch
>Jacques Lafaye's Quetzalcoatl and Guadalupe
>Fernand Braudel's The Mediterranean and the Mediterranean World in the Age of Philip II

Zinn is a hack.

Heredotus """""Histories"""""
Thucydides Peloponessian War
Anna Komnene Alexiad
Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire

> Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
Nice me-me.

Indeed, but one should read past historians not for facts but for the memes. Gibbon is a meme master himself, his memes live even here.
>Christians Caused the Fall of Empire
>Byzantine Empire is a shitty empire which contributed nothing
etc

I'm not even meming, you can agree with his argument or not, but it's still the most influential historical book of the last 20 or so years.

Oh good, a book recommendation thread.

What's a good book or series that encompasses the whole of Japanese history? The Cambridge Histories seemed good, but they made my nook shit the bed when I tried to convert the pdfs I found.

You shut the fuck up about Herodotus you pseud piece of shit

You're lucky I don't fucking know you, because I would fucking DESTROY YOU

Just buy physical book

It's not a historical book though, it's the work of an evolutionary biologist applying his own methods to the field of history and it just doesn't work

They're like 60 bucks used man

*physiology, geography and orthinthologist

For all of em?

That's cheap famm go for it

For a really impartial historian, I'd recommend John Green. A Crash Course History video is more insightful than a few so called historians' books.

wew lad

Yeah, I wish I could upvote you. And don't forget Dan Carlin's Hardcore History, friend, you can learn from it more than from specialized books.

Per. And there's six volumes. I don't feel particularly inclined to spend $360

I just found you a few, I can't comment on their quality

Friday, Karl F., ed., Japan Emerging: Premodern History to 1850 (Boulder, Colorado: Westview Press, 2012)

Gordon, Andrew, A Modern History of Japan: From Tokugawa Times to the Present (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003)

Hall, John Whitney, Japan: From Prehistory to Modern Times (New York: Delacorte Press, 1970)

Edgerton, Robert B., Warriors of the Rising Sun: A History of the Japanese Military (New York: Norton, 1997)

Start reading about things that you find interesting about history, like your favorite empire, ruler , war etc

Nice quads Brah

don't listen to this, OP

Most people don't just "learn history". There's just too much of it. You are basically asking "what books to read to learn science?".

Pick an area that interests you first and then go from there.

Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 1: Our Oriental Heritage
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 2: The Life of Greece
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 3: Ceasar and Christ
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 4: The Age of Faith
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 5: The Renaissance
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 6: The Reformation
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 7: The Age of Reason Begins
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 8: The Age of Louis XIV
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 9: The Age of Voltaire
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 10: Rousseau and Revolution
Will Durant's The Story of Civilization Part 11: The Age of Napoleon

>France is 5/11 of Civilization
Nice one.

but it is, you perfidious anglo

one of the best if not the best.

Nothing from outside Europe? Nothing ever important happened there?

That's Part 1.

Part 12: France Surrenders Again
Part 13: And Again
Part 14: And Again and Again and Again.

Why not?

I would suggest picking something you find interesting. Take what you already know and expand about it. If you remember that you liked studying something in high school, go back to that and build on it. Alternatively, pick something youre interested in. If you say, are interested in guns, look into modern history, or WW2 or something.

Thanks friend

Wtf he didn't even post a picture of his legs

>Zinn
>Unironically sourcing David motherfucking Irving on Dresden

This is the most related thread for my question, and I'm half expecting no answer, but, Veeky Forums:

If I wanted to start reading on the Holy Roman Empire, where's the best place to start? Peter Wilson's Heart of Europe, Joachim Whaley's Germany and the Holy Roman Empire, or David Criswell's Rise and Fall of the Holy Roman Empire?

German sources from the 1933-1945 period tend to be very valuable and informative in regards to the history of the Holy Roman Empire.

Go with Wilson.

Whaley would be fine, but Wilson is more contemporary.

Its pretty much the story of western civilization, its just that for some reason the word is not included in the title.

When people are mad they start spouting memes. This guy is very mad.

I just went on a trip to some Mayan cities.
Anyone know of any good books on Mayans or about the beginnings of Christianity (starting with Christ, preferably)? The tour guide had a lot to say about both of them as a Mayan descendant who is Catholic.

A History of Christianity By Diarmaid MacCulloch