/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

post progress edition

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/
youtube.com/watch?v=7IRil_R5sEI&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for rapedev

that sneaky removal of links

alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/

wtf OP

Nth for shameless reposts, 3d in GM and senseless deltatiming

Started adding static vertex "lighting" (that is, simply colouring). Almost works, lights still bleed through walls a bit and the walls seem to be lit differently than the floor/ceiling...

>2D in Unity

>3D in Game Maker

What the hell is wrong with you all

I removed the old website that is outdated and replaced it with the new website that is updated
Why should we keep the outdated website in the OP?

Can someone help with how to do parallax background in GM using the draw_background function?

I've tried googling and forums, but most people seem to use background_x[0] etc..., but this makes the background lag for me

how is it outdated? the website doesn't even have all the links in the github link.

if OP insists on pulling stuff out of OP text, I suggest we remove his site.

Disregard, I'm dumb and figured it out. Having new problems now, but that's the fun of it

>BLD is the only person who can advocate his site
good one m8.
not even OP

>haven't made a single demo in all the time demo day has been around
>haven't worked on my game since mid 2014

>how is it outdated
Did you look at it? Several links are outdated, it hasn't been updated in almost a year.
The aggydaggy site is getting updates regularly, And the creator is asking for feedback regularly so if he missed a link give it to him to put in there.

If his site goes to shit then maybe you should fork the github site and update it so we can put that in the OP.

Wow, that's awesome.
What's the goal with this game? Is it going to be a shooter, a dungeon crawler or are you just messing around with the engine?

Yes it is the same model and animations, except hands which i had to split off because otherwise it would be impossible to do some things like looking up while reloading (because animation blending is annoying as fuck to get looking not shitly).
The camera is attached to the model, but follows the head on a curve instead of being glued to it because that would cause it rock too much, by lerping it i can set exactly how much head bob i want, which is great

Parallax should be as easy as drawing the background from -(focusPoint/scrollSpeed) to the end of the view.

>tfw no qt polish level designer gf

I'm a male mostly Polish level designer etc, I could be your friend

Thanks. The current idea is to make it a shooter/dungeon crawler with guns + melee, but currently I'm just messing around, getting the level building to work.

Added first enemy. There's no attacking yet though.
Also added a shader to change the two colors on the screen at any time.

Learning Godot which has some silly quirks but i somehow really like it so far.

I've heard of "entry level" designers

but "polish level?"

>not making it green and purple for the memes
Is this for the Godot jam?

Friends are gross.
I want a qt to cuddle and make friends with.
W-we can talk about stuff here though
Specifically a Croteam polish level.

Yo where da recap at?

booo

games*

Yeah it's for the Godot Jam. Gonna have procedural levels.

Looks comfy.

I was skeptical first about your idea, but now it looks pretty cool. This GameBoy-ish feel is very good. Keep it up!

how would you implement something like:
>walk down the road
>see someone getting beaten by 3 bandits
>you can choose between helping or watching/go away
>if you help him he might become a knight and you might run into him later in the game or he might just become a blacksmith and you might see him in town. Lets imagine this has as many possibilities as there are professions ingame
>if you ignore him and dont help him he might die or he might become something like I said before (and maybe try to hunt you down)

any ideas?

>maybe try to hunt you down
Why would he hunt you down? you are in your right to ignore it, it would be the most common action.

pixel art is fun!
anyone want this slime?

can you make a slutty version?

bottom line is how do I make npc have life on their own? somewhat making them decide stuff from themselves?

because he might become a brothel owner who gives who information on what the evil king is planning ;)

How the fuck does someone ends up like that?

You'll probably need a dwarf fortress like event system and relationship system for this. Whenever an event happens the NPC will remember it, and the NPC can have relationships with other characters including the player.

So for example when the bandits attack him a new event is started. The victim will gain new relationships with these bandits, he'll hate them. If he becomes a knight in the future maybe he will hunt these bandits down. If he becomes a blacksmith maybe he will try hiring someone to hunt these bandits, or if he ever sees them he will refuse to sell things to them.

If you intervene and help him then he will gain a new relationship with you, he'll have a positive relationship. Then in the future if he sees you again he'll be friendly, maybe he'll help you out, or give you a discount at his store.

Basically the relationship can be a number the higher the number the more likely the NPC will be friendly to whoever the relationship is with. Events will have a type (like combat events, or being saved event) and can have an array of NPCs that participated in this event. You can then go back through the memory of the NPC and make decisions based on the events and relationships.

thats what I want to know how to implement.

You should start with an AI that can get beaten by three bandits before you try make an AI that can exist in the world separately from the scene.

From the fact that your asking how to do a whole concept rather than just specific parts of an implementation, It seems like you're nowhere near ready to do what you want to do.

At this moment, is it even possible for your player to fight the bandits?

First for OOP is bad and you shouldn't use it for games

>trying to figure out how to keep the mouse inside the view in gm
this is fucking annoying

yes, the next step is try to make that part of the game. I had something like this in mind the events, and the value of each interaction. But making something that make a storyline for each npc you encounter is complex like you said, i'll keep trying increasing the depth more and more. but thanks for the help.

Can you make an even sluttier version?

Can I get anywhere with just hacking the fuck out of Game Maker's official tutorials?

Or will my credibility always be non-existent if I do that?

Nobody cares if they have fun playing it. Just look at Blizzard for example.

Tutorials are like templates, you can build off them to create your own game and save time, or recreate the same content then create your own game on top of that.

But either way, you're going to need to make your own game. You can stretch and smear shit around forever but it'll always be shit unless you add something new.

As long as you're just like making game nothing else matters. So just make game, when you're done making game make more game. Keep making game and you'll get good enough to make any game you want.

It might be a tad big to be a default enemy.

Good sprite though user, wish I had half your ability.

Anyone want to be my UI designer?

I really need a UI designer

Not him, but you gotta scale it down, ya doughnut.

>MS literally bringing all it's games to PC
I love video games /agdg/.

>mixels

I'm sick as fuck of doing UI.

I know I just thought it'd be funnier to shove it in as is.

Did anyone really expect them to make any more Xbone exclusives?

Carmack though

What happened to him

I don't know.
Not too keen on W10 though.
Makes sense though, he's one of the largest autists out there.

He was a major stakeholder in Oculus before they got bought by Facebook. He's all about the corporate money now.

The sad part is that he went to Oculus because he wanted to make a "no restrictions" VR experience free of red tape and business-oriented decisions. Now he's shackled to the same restrictions that caused him to leave ID.

I mean, with all the Xbone exclusives they already brought to Win 10, it was pretty obvious they wouldn't make any more.

If you have inventory menus on both hands that allows for the player to have whatever weapon or item in any hand. Also duel wielding.

genius t b h

I have the opposite problem of most people. I'm a professional programmer so I know what I'm doing, but I keep starting and restarting, making systems, engines, toolchains, etc. Then I get to the point where I need to start creating content and actual levels and gameplay, and lose interest. Part of it, I think I need an art guy, since programmer art and reused SNES sprites isn't very inspiring, the other I think is just not settling on an idea.

Should I spend some time writing up a design document and full plan? Should I just create a bunch of proof of concept style first level demos and see which gets the most attention?

Hate when the inventory is like that, breaks immersion a shit-ton. You should go with spoopy-vr devs holster inventory system instead.

what am i doing with my life?

DOES YOUR GAME HAVE HIGH QUALITY UNCOMPRESSED PIXELS?

>Meatspin

gif is scaled up x4
thanks!

I didn't want to mimic reality with holsters, I wanted to make something you may see out of an anime. (Touching UI and magically getting your item).

>I wanted to make something you may see out of an anime
There's the problem. If you haven't noticed already the UI you have now will not only be clunky but make switching items in combat suck.

Might be cool if you juice it up a ton though and change the menus being tied to the opposite controller.

i like your game, here you go!

That's pretty good. Damn good. Only way it could have been better is if it were a cock & balls instead.

Do a bunch of prototypes and then create a short design document to flesh out the one you like most or the one that gets the most attention.

That is a cute slime, though the outlines are a bit strange (but maybe that's because it's zoomed in).

What I do is make a mouse cursor object that has the mouse's x/y coordinates and otherwise replaces it. Not sure it's very efficient, but it does solve my problem nicely, and helps a lot with menus/clickables.

Maybe you just need some practice making content. Have you considered taking a break from regular gamedev and modding new levels/etc. for your favorite games?

You could read up a bit on level design, make some proof-of-concept levels, and then plan the hell out of everything (but it's nice to know that a mechanic works and is fun before you get to making a level around it).

>that
>the opposite problem of most people
No?

Thanks dude!

Happy to put a wee cute thing in my game, been stuck on GUI stuff for like two weeks now.

What program did you use to make it ? Photoshop ? Gimp ?

i've been away from agdg for awhile so maybe it's different now.

back when i was posting a lot it was mostly "how i do programming?????"

tried doind some grainy outlines or something because white background, i see how bad it looks in a dark dungeon like this time to clean up!

I like the first fifteen seconds. It real hype but then it just drops of and becomes chill for some reason. I don't like the chill!

Maybe you need to find a game idea that you are excited about and actually want to finish.
Spend some time learning how to do art too.

sweet! at that size it didn't need any outline cleaning either.
good luck with the GUI! hope to see more

recap ded?

pyxel edit, i love it so far even though i've probably put down less than 10h playing around

takes like 15 min to learn everything in the software

I actually went around it and made the whole outline the dark green because it looked weird on the dark floor, the light middle bit clashes a bit with the dark.

Don't worry though little slime dude is doing great in his new home.

Haven't been on agdg in awhile. Is anyone working on any HTML5/JS games?

It's E3 dude.

Not him, but after the fiasco yesterday I decided to tune out.

>he hasn't seen SCORPIOOOOOOOOO
I pity you.

youtube.com/watch?v=7IRil_R5sEI&feature=youtu.be

UNCOMPRESSED

oh neat!
i'm working on a death animation now

>we can render uncompressed pixels
what the fuck does that even mean

It means they're the highest quality pixels.

IT MEANS THAT
THEY
CAN
RENDER
UN
COMPRESSED
P
I
X
E
L
S

but how will people know if they haven't seen them before?

Your retinas will burn up. Then you'll know.

>tfw my pixels are compressed

>tfw my 2D 16 bit pixel art platformer will never be uncompressed highest quality pixels

>this is what people are watching instead of devving