Did you determine that life is awful rationally or empirically?

Did you determine that life is awful rationally or empirically?

What's life

A mere spook

Rationally.

a miserable little pile of secrets

via synthetic apriori judgment

by what standards

Empirically desu.

Life sounds like a good deal if you only think about it.

Well it's probably better than being dead but life is still pretty shitty.

Whether or not you're able to enjoy your daily life counts for whether or not it can be awful or not.

If your situation is shit. You can't afford housing, food, leisures, safety, comfort, etc then your life is shit.

Even after those things, you still have to keep them intact. If you constantly worry, if you're not able to pay upkeep cost, then its once again shit.

Life is beautiful

science leans towards negative outlook being merely a chemical imbalance in the brain. How is that supposed to make depressed people think? Not only miserable, but dependent on medication because they're defective? Increasingly this world appears to be designed to inflict suffering

I agree with Schopenhauer a lot from a rational point of view, yet I don't feel life is that bad.

Rationally: if you are not God, it sucks one way or the other.

Is it even possible to determine it empirically?

Baby don't hurt me

What if god is on your side?

Don't hurt me.

Empirical as in experience vs thought?

Experience, hands down; empirical. Life isn't put together in the head but through the senses.

no mo

Life is weird. It often seems awful, but then again, I can't think of any way it could be fundamentally improved. I wouldn't want to exist forever, and a life without challenge would lead to nothing. Is it just generally awful that things exist?

Now you're getting it. (Sapient) life is inherently a list of desires and deprivations, most of which go unfulfilled and then you die. Being born is always a net harm, in a hypothetical utopia neutral at best.