/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Game creation simulation.

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam will be...
SPACE themed. Jam starts July 14th. You can start early.
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.aggydaggy.com/#
catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/
gamemakertutorials.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=Kfc7VHv2uFc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for waifus

What a nice OP pic. I feel like this could be a thread I finally make progress to.

~~=Weekly Recap=~~
We have a total of 28 games. Thirteen games have returned from previous recaps! All this progress is great! All 28 games had best be submitted to Demo Day 9.

~~=High Scores=~~
(4) Knightly Terrors
(4) [Placeholder Title]
(4) Combat ISP
(4) TacticalRPG
(3) Ctesiphon
(3) Ancient Saga
(3) Uplifted
(3) Zero Quest
(3) 2D Dogfighting
(2) Whimp the Bold
(2) Project Wingman
(2) Frogs Life (working title)
(2) Deeplinks

(Score is calculated by number of recap appearances. May change this to number of recaps in a row.)

~~=Feedback=~~
Think I've missed your game? Notice the scraper has made an error? Ideas or comments? Reply to this and let me know!

want to make a population sim demo/toy where families pass down genes, dominant and recessive traits

what are some good physical traits I should include besides obvious (height, skin/eye/hair color)?

talent

testosterone levels,high iq, good bone density,symmetrical

but we live in an age where those traits don't matter anymore

being born with big bones or small bones. The big boned people can't control that they're bigger, that's just their genes!

whats a good program to capture my game in webm form

obs + webm for retards

congratulations to all devs!!!

I just started working on a new game a few days ago, I may post a webm next week, for now there's not that much to show

Name of the game: Spaceship Game (I will change it)
Dev: N/A
Web: N/A
Tools: Java, Android Studio, Photoshop

+Working collision between player and meteorites
+Multi-touch working

All those progress and i'm still a fucking nodev.

Also how come I never see the school shooter mgs1 guy in the recap?

wealthiness gene

literally who?

Is the high score counting all games that have made 2 appearances? Or is it cut off?

mental illnesses tend to run in families. Might be an interesting way to add conflict in your game.

All games with 2 or more.

Afraid you're too late to make the weekly recap. Might check out the aggydaggy.com site though. Recaps are Monday/Tuesdayish.

Not familiar with mgs1 guy. Just make game.

I can wait for the next week recap, not a big deal.

Can I get feedback on my game UI? I know it's shitty, but I can't quite put my finger on what needs changing. I've been staring at it too much.

The text floating over the character's heads is placeholder debug, so ignore that. The rock UI thing in the bottom right hand corner is being replaced too, but I haven't decided how to do it yet.

I'm gonna grow up and be a game developer!

That cursor is awful. It should be some old-ass, wrinkly man hand. I think the cards should snap more. Speed them up.

particles :)

The game world has dark green colors and stuff. But then the UI has neon pink around cards and other bright colors. Doesn't really feel like it matches.
I'm guessing the game isn't always completely dark green, that's just this environment, right?

>All games with 2 or more.
Ah I put a frowny face in my title in lue of the tragic events that took place in a certain night club of the same name, that probably screwed up the scraper. I'm a pretty competitive guy so if it's possible to fix manually that would be awesome.

What is this? Looks super polished.

I changed the capitalization on my game title, so the scraper counted it as 2 separate games.

I'm going to keep doing it so I won't end up on the high score list.

Dumb font in the game world

"Pulse :(" has been changed to "Pulse" and should count properly in future recaps.

I agree with this guy Deal the cards faster.

-names/health need some background protection with a dropshadow or outline.
-all the screen layer UI looks blurry as fuck, you should have all of that higher res
-pls no custom cursors
-card glow colors dont feel like like they fit
-the bottom right UI probably should be completely redone since i have no idea what it is or is supposed to be doing or conveying
-that double border box when you select an enemy needs to go
-the competing grid space colors for highlights creates shit colors, probably add in a separate graphic like an outline for selection
-snappier animation of the cards, ease in-ease out

Oh yeah I completely blanked on the cursor, that's just the default that comes with the GUI library I'm using. Wrinkly old man hand is a good idea.

I sped up the cards a bit when they're going to rest in your hand, you're right it feels better.

It won't always be dark green, but it will always be dark and muted. People were suggesting making the cards more saturated when I last posted, I could try desaturating them again?

Is it just me or is aggydaggy.com just a redirect to the catalog? Is there more to it?

tools.aggydaggy.com/#
here ya go

Which gamedev engine renders the highest-quality pixels? I only want the best for my pixel art.

>whats the best way to make and save maps in gml? the room system is complete garbage lol

let's have sex ;P

Make your own, you can have complete control over your pixel compression for maximum graphics.

>tfw you will never have uncompressed pixels
>tfw your pixel quality will always be shit-tier

I've been known as a gamedev god, but it doesn't faze me...

Subscribed

>pixel art
>modern day orchestrated soundtrack
How does this make you feel?

>all the screen layer UI looks blurry as fuck, you should have all of that higher res
I think that's just the recording, it feels crisp enough ingame. Apart from that bits that are being replaced anyway (name/HP text and bottom right UI stone thing).

>card glow colors dont feel like like they fit
I cycled through a lot of different colours while testing, and they all sucked. I don't know how to convey that a card is playable. Maybe a white glow?

>that double border box when you select an enemy needs to go
Most of the info on that needs to be displayed in some form or other. Maybe just relegate it to a right-click info box or something?

>the competing grid space colors for highlights creates shit colors, probably add in a separate graphic like an outline for selection
You're right, it's lazy. I'll make a separate graphic for when they intersect.

>snappier animation of the cards, ease in-ease out
It's using quadric ease-in-ease-out, I think the numbers I'm using for it are just bad.

what is the difficulty you're having with rooms?

Meme/10, wouldn't even pirate

Oh wow!
Can I contribute?

it's just terrible. the grid object-placing system is buggy and underdeveloped. i want to have an in-engine level editor but im not sure how to make that all work

But can you render uncompressed pixels at 60hertz?

>Maybe a white glow?
white glow is always safe, yellow glows are usually pretty safe too.
best though would be if the cards had different internal colors to match with the glow.

>Maybe just relegate it to a right-click info box or something?
sure but i was referring to the box graphic itself, that double box is stupid looking.

>I think the numbers I'm using for it are just bad.
max em

Needs music tools and tutorials.

>the grid object-placing system is buggy and underdeveloped
You know you can disable that, right?

robutt game is alive, I'm back

>taking art advice from a school shooter sympathist

Was this VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartender Action game being made a 4channer?

I've been away for a while. Wasn't this in Unity before? And with a completely different art style?

Holy shit where have you been?

As I was staring at my other webm I decided to try to re-implement the downward kick states sooner because I thought of something fun. Still needs some more work with the bounce height though, and probably that hitbox placement.

Yes. You can find the devs, at least kiririn, in the steamchat group too.

Shit nigga I thought you died man
Pixel art style looks way better than the flash art you had before

it was in flash and yeah it used vectors
over a year break from game dev, mostly lurking Veeky Forums

Is this not supposed to be June Week 2 mah nigga? Still says 1

>mostly lurking Veeky Forums
Stats, bro?

Not just a 4channer, an aggydagger

You're not from these parts, you some kind of game journalist, or something?

I dont know how
But soon as I hit the Steam page for the game
I thought this was a game made here
Looking forward to it
I really need to come around here more oftern
All I fucking do I think of concepts and designs
I NEED TO FUCKING START THIS SHIT

So stoked that this is finally coming out
I know the devs were going through a pretty tough time with all the shit happening in Venezuela

What do you diddly?

>they're literally suffering in a country with blackouts, shit economy and murders and made a game
>you have everything in the world and can't finish shit
I don't deserve to dev

The waifus probably gave it away. I'm both happy that more devs are finishing games, but sad that I can't fucking finish shit myself. My only hope is to pair up with an artist.

Can they afford toilet paper now?

>Can they afford toilet paper now?
The artist bought a cintiq, one of those wacom tablets with a screen that costs over 1000 bucks.
They're doing fine now I assume.

>dropped vector art
good move

thanks, the 2d perspective was limiting and was going to have to do something on the level of Mark of the Ninja to make it look good
did hypertrophy routine for a year and now just recently switched to SL

SL stats are:
squat 70 kg 5x5
bench 55 kg 5x5
row 55 kg 5x5
The Press 27.5 kg 5x5
diddy 75 kg 1x5

highest before were:
squat 100 kg x 1
bench 70 kg x 3
ohp 45 kg x 3
dead 115 kg x 1 (grip is holding me back)

>Can they afford toilet paper now?
The power of Communism

I think it might have been the actual word Waifu in the description
Man I dont even know what its really about
It just looks nice, music if 10/10 and could have an interesting plot
I love Cathrines walking around and talking to people, and I loved listening to all the alcohol did you knows, and I dont even drink Much
I dont know where to start with making my own game
Or what kind I even want to make, I just have character ideas That I havent even drawn yet

this was from one of the last threads I visited, date says Jan 2015 if anyone wants nostalgia

>I don't know where to start with making my own game
Developing in 3D?
catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/

Developing in 2D?
gamemakertutorials.com/

Pretty nice, why did you stop? Is that how you lost your personal records?
I think everyone here should be on a weight lifting regimen. It has helped me with dedication in other areas of my life including gamedev.

>every single one of those waifus is dead
Well charlotte came back at least

Is that Gwyn in the second position?

Yes

>I dont know where to start with making my own game
Focus either on art, or coding. Start cloning shit you like and eventually you'll hit something you want to make.

I understand your issues, I have them too. I can code ok but I'm fucking stuck now. I'm thinking of settling down in my new job, get into it for about 6 months, and then get back to gamedev.
Consequently, a question for artists. If a coder is ok with becoming your bitch just to get a feasible game out in a decent timeframe (say, 2-3 years of dev), what would you expect from him? Any engines in particular, or you don't give a shit? 3D or 2D?

Blockhead (#4 from right) is released (well, he slapped ads on his demo)

Catmouth Island (#8) is released

Leto's (#5 from right) probably still in-dev even though they fucked off from AGDG

Gwen (#2) is still in dev

Surprised Dreaming Sarah isn't on there...

Well, I think I would make an RPG, or some little shitty Beat em Up
Its one of the 2
Im not really good at either aspects of art
I can draw, just not...well
And Ive made a few 3D models, just never finished them....
And this is where I get stuck
By constantly thinking, Which should I invest time into, and then I dont do anything
I just go and play Overwatch or some shit
Fuck it, after I do my shopping and shit Im drawing all day

Aerannis

>Leto's (#5 from right) probably still in-dev even though they fucked off from AGDG
>5 years later and she still has a buggy platformer engine
I don't get it, she's a software engineer too.

Just do it, then. Stop thinking or giving a shit. Set a small goal and work on it. No matter how tiny, then make bigger goals.

it seems kind of lossy

>she's
found your problem

I'm looking to get into making some simple fun games, and i've a beginner's knowledge of programming and concepts, and a good handle on art for sprite-based games from plenty of old forum games to get me started on a simple project.

I've been dwelling on making a turn-based strategy game for some time and the main thing stopping me right now is the pretty clear entry barrier. for all the games i've played i have no knowledge on what software is for rendering graphics is most appropriate for a project, how it works, and how to implement it, nor do i know sound output/management (though that's not a concern yet). i've been drawing up outlines for

× What would any of you recommend for tutorials, as far as learning about beginning and managing a project?
× What are some things I absolutely have to know before starting this?
× What are some good resources on what graphics rendering tools to use for a given situation?
× Do you have any exceptional resources for creating, directing, and implementing a simple AI player? this will be useful later.
× What are any other appropriate tools for this, and what are some essential libraries for a project like this (c++/java)?
× Is there any value at all in using something like Gamemaker, or is it simply better to build it from scratch in my own design?
× How much worth does examining an open-source project hold? will the direction it gives me outweigh the influence on my own programming/design/choices? is it undesirable to focus too much on what other people have made, or is it worth it to see a different approach to a similar problem?

Any other resources on-hand would be great. you don't need to write me up a heartfelt essay unless you really want to, just tutorials and the likes will do. thanks gamefriends.

>Gwen (#2) is still in dev
Isn't Gwyndev working on that procedural generated frog game now?

Be more specific on your experience, and if you're interested in pushing your programming knowledge or not

>What are some things I absolutely have to know before starting this?
Breakpoints

He is

fug I'd love to get my hands on this engine. I wish Gamemaker could do 3D with 2D sprites. It barely does the 3D on it's own with simple polys, let alone 2.5D. Also, I hate that it compresses sprites and limits room size. Makes everything look blurry/shitty.

youtube.com/watch?v=Kfc7VHv2uFc

>What are some things I absolutely have to know before starting this?

Shoot SMALL for your first game. Aim for something like Pong or Asteroids if you've never made a game before.

Just use unity
Or make your own

> Is there any value at all in using something like Gamemaker, or is it simply better to build it from scratch in my own design?

if you use the drag-and-drop design its easy to make a simple breakout or galaga style of game, which I recommend as to start out with, as for someone new its best to start small.

afterwords game maker is okay if you use its coding language instead

>× What would any of you recommend for tutorials, as far as learning about beginning and managing a project?
A project? Just get shit done and use something simple like Trello to manage your tasks. Also use version control, and by this I mean Git, Perforce, SVN or any tool like that, not fucking dropbox.

>× What are some things I absolutely have to know before starting this?
Coding. Art.
Start small. And I mean REALLY small. Fucking tiny. Pong levels of small.

>× What are some good resources on what graphics rendering tools to use for a given situation?
What? As in, D3D, OpenGL, Vulkan? If you want to do your engine from scratch pick whatever you want. D3D is Windows only, not sure if Vulkan is even finished.

>× Do you have any exceptional resources for creating, directing, and implementing a simple AI player? this will be useful later.
This is too broad. Look up AI for X once you want it, where X is following, pathfinding, or whatever.
>× What are any other appropriate tools for this, and what are some essential libraries for a project like this (c++/java)?
Entirely depends on your engine.

>× Is there any value at all in using something like Gamemaker, or is it simply better to build it from scratch in my own design?
Yes, you save time. You can do it from scratch if you like, but I wouldn't bother.

>× How much worth does examining an open-source project hold? will the direction it gives me outweigh the influence on my own programming/design/choices? is it undesirable to focus too much on what other people have made, or is it worth it to see a different approach to a similar problem?
It's ok, but don't stop at examining. Try to implement things on your own.

Ah. My bad.

His partner ditch or something?

man, it really feels like the game lost a lot of the pixel art charm it had in the previous titles

last fitness post, I didn't stop, I just switched programs and SL recommends to start at 50% or your 1rms but I just went for what was comfortable

>His partner ditch or something?
Nah, gwyndev just can't settle on something
Even with his new game he doesn't know what he's making. He switched from 2D, to 3D, to 2D, to 3D again, to down down