Degree tier

I'm going off to uni next year and i still have no idea what path i'm going to choose. down the road i'll try to start some business, but for the first years i want to be a wage cuck in order to earn me a more stable life and some good investment capital. Now I am interested in engineering but i always contradicting opinions from everyone, some people say it's suicide tier other say it's easy work, albeit a little boring but with good pay.

I see the combo of some engi/physics/math and finance thrown around here pretty often and that sounds reasonable enough for a career in finance.

My question is what are some legit degrees for a good starting salary

Whoever made this pic is retarded.

>physics anything above mid tier
>Statistics not included in god tier
>comp sci not at least mid tier

They are all shitty slavecuck boring tier.
Meanwhile real gods (pic related).

This thread will be deleted

i just found a generic tier pic, not mine.

what is that exactly ?

Wow user. Where did you find this garbage pic

>Astronomy
>Philosophy
>Theology
>education
Listed at all

>Physics listed that high
>Econ that high

>No statistics
>No accounting
>No finance
>I.t. Above comp Sci

Op. Come back and try again with the actual tiers

come on user, i just said

I'm just saying you'll have alot more luck with your thread if you come back in 3 hours with a different pic

Now to answer your original post
It's really hard to say without me knowing you. Those contradicting points people have about engineering come from the fact that some people have different ideas of what's easy work and what's not, as well as different offices having different cultures.

So to answer your question about which degrees get paid isnt easy if I don't know what kind of person you are

Maths and finance is good if your smart and outgoing and will do extra curricula and get internships, but if your not gonna go and do internships your screwed. Same goes for law, accounting and marketing

Idk engineering but I imagine it to be the same, if you work hard at it, you'll be sweet

i consider myself to be pretty smart and i've always had an affinity for discovering patterns and information in mathematical information so i guess i'd go for that. same goes for engineering, i've always liked drawing up plans, creating and fixing mechanical shit, but i'm not excited about the prospect of spending hours designing the perfect screw

>Mathematics
>God Tier

hahahahahahaha funny memes son

I'm in CE and I think you might like it. It's very logic based.
The whole quant degree + finance/econ is very valid. Also, with that if you end up hating engineering you can defs fall back in to finance, but, it's a bit harder to start off in finance and go in to engineering after a few years from graduating.

It's a hell of alot easier if you like math, which is good. If you don't like math you aren't going to like engineering. Is there industry in your country for any of the engineering types? Don't pick aerospace if your country doesn't build/maintain planes, don't do naval engineering ( i forgot the real term for it) if you're a landlocked country, don't do electronic engineering if your country doesn't have companies that make electronics.

>Those contradicting points people have about engineering come from the fact that some people have different ideas of what's easy work and what's not, as well as different offices having different cultures.

This as well. I'm doing double degree CE/Economics, I can't stand the econ stuff because it bores the crap out of me, most people are the other way around, they wouod rather learn the fischer equation (econ) than learn about the trig identities.

If I were you I would look at some first year text books for the courses you are considering and seeing if it is something that interests you

Also work places culture. I've worked at a laid back finance place and it was amazing. Good money, friendly culture, I was always motivated, other friends that did the same fucking wanted to kill themselves.

Idk how accurate this photo is but it should be useful

thanks for the tip i've already looked into the programme for aerospace engineering and the econ courses and i have to say that i like the engineering shit much more, since it involves simple maths and physics which i've always liked and have been good at.

i won't study in my country since employment prospects are shit, i'm going to try to study abroad somewhere in western europe. i've also looked into industrial hotspots so i know where i would have more job opportunities for different degrees.

That degree tier is shit since it misses a lot of good degrees, this one looks to be a more comprehensive lost.The "combo" ypu mentioned is a path to an actuary job which is extremly well paid and can be fun if you like the world of finances. For thst you could just get a math degree or some meme degree that combines math and finances

How's Finance + Law for hedge funds?

>language
>waste
Say herro to the ameriburger who thinks that there's only three languages in the world: American, canadian and mexican. (And mexican doesn't count, because half of the worlds is about narcotraffico and the other half is about religion.)

>he has to get a degree in a language to learn it
>he is incapable of doing things on his own

Putting I.T in the "Meh" tier just shows how retarded this is, I left Uni with a basic IT degree that put me on the path towards the £140k a year I'm currently on, after only 4 years. This list is dumb and so is anyone that makes a life choice because of it.

What the fuck are these tier lists based on? Long term education (Undergrad to Graduate to Doctorate?) More than half of these degrees are fucking useless as an Undergrad.

Your tier shart is beyond mentally retarded.

Here's why:
> Civil engineering can be both God as Shit tier depending on the location.
> Medicine being Top tier, also depending on the location. Over here there's a major shortage so the work load will be huge and the service minimal.
>Astronomy, now how much does that actually pay, really?
>Same as the above for Biology.
> Philosophy and Theology being Mid tier. Why not lower?
>Economics only Mid tier, come on now, this is money your speaking of, on Veeky Forums.
> Geology in the Low tier, now what if a geologist is being hired by a major oil company? Sounds like jackpot to me...
> Information Technology, Communications and Computer Science is the way of innovation, so there's much room for expansion. Plus the pay is very good. Unless you live in a third world country where this isn't a priority.
> Business in the Shit tier, really?
> Foreign Language in the Waste of Life Tier, especially in the EU foreign languages are very important for trade.

Conclusion;
You might have heard this somewhere before, but it's all about supply and demand and location, Location, LOCATION.

I do agree with the Women's Studies and the African American Studies though, it's a disgrace that's even included in the learning package.

Which tier is software engineering then? God or waste of life?

>checkmate atheists.jpg

What in mathematics earns the most money?
Is focusing on the oil industry in the Middle East a good idea?

Using the geology analogy everything can come down to luck really. Also business and economics are kind of a meme.

But i agree with you that tiers are set by supply and demand in the job market in any given moment

>Chemistry

More like low tier, at best

Where would you rate nutrition?
Given that people are getting fatter by the day,the number of new customers is endless,and since the field evolved out of medicine, it should be somewhere on the upper half ,yes?

Every idiot has a "sports science" or "nutitrion and diet" degree. They aren't hard to get. Idk how the job market is, but, jobs with idiots going in them tend not to be good paying jobs

I'd say it in the lower half since literally anyone can acquire good information about nutrition in a few quick google searches, but then again most people are lazy delusional retards so you can definetly find some idiots to scam

Crap tier, that degree isn't marketable when there are plenty of actual scientists who know what's going on chemically or doctors physiologically willing to work in that field.

To suggest it evolved out of medicine and therefore is top tier is just rude

Stats and being able to build algorithms that are field relevant

Fat people are fat because they are lazy. Those fat people need a nutrition expert, but they will not employ one. Besides nothing you could possible tell them could be more elucidating than a 4 hours websearch.

physics and chemistry should be mid tier

I legit know a guy who's just graduated in Sports Sci and his BMI is in the red, gotta be above 25, they're fucking meme degrees if there is such a thing.

This is based on what? Philosophy and Theology Mid tier? Computer Science Waste of life?
It's not degree value for sure

Ok I'll bite what's wrong with economics?

God tier for biz related endeavours: Economics, statistics
Want to act like an intellectual but don't mind if you don't make loads of money: everything else
To get filthy rich you have to get near the money and work with money, everyone knows this. And if university is your route to money, rather than starting a business or something, then you better study an area where you go on to work with the money. Engineering and all that, you can make a fantastic career and yes if you have a PhD from a good school in engineering/maths you could be a quant but not everyone has the time and money for all that shit.

Ignore the charts being passed around. They all make grandiose unsupported conclusions.

As a preliminary note, STEM degrees are not a meme if you do well in those fields. From a practical standpoint, STEM degrees with a real benefit to business (e.g. Engineering) are always going to be a safer choice than more theoretical STEM degrees (mathematics, physics), but they are all leagues better than liberal arts degrees (trust me, I have multiple and I'm ashamed about it).

Here is what I believe to be the best thing for you to do in college:
(1) Double major in 3 years. Yes, it can be done. Don't go home for summers. Get this shit over with. Use the summers to get GenEds done or something.
(2) Engineering and finance sound like a phenomenal combo, and I would highly recommend it. You're hitting two targets simultaneously: you'll be useful to engineering firms AND finance firms, you demonstrate mathematical prowess, AND you open the door to working in the upper echelons of an engineering firm.
(3) If you can - and I know this is a tall order given (1) - try to freelance a bit and get involved in some writing (e.g. for the school newspaper). The former will give you experience and show prospective employers you aren't a fuckabout, and the latter will demonstrate that you communicate reasonably well.

As for a starting salary? I've heard people floating around $50-80k with an engineering degree, and I believe finance is roughly similar. That was a few years ago, though.

What happens if you are a complete idiot in engineering because you've sucked at STEM related subjects your whole life (aside from Math) but at the same time loved finance. What I'm trying to say is what other subject should I major in that will go along with a finance major?

I know some people who did finance/accounting, but that seems dangerous if you don't want to become an accountant.

Economics, maybe? It'd be risky. I wouldn't do a general business degree, that's for sure.

Why is criminal justice good, but law enforcement and criminology are meh? Criminal justice = law enforcement career path, unless you meant law in general.

Though luckily criminal justice has a low unemployment rate right now, so that's nice.

>Chemistry
>god tier

That's just a degree for faggots that couldn't get into Chemical Engineering here.

What if your a brain let that just can't into math? What should I do? An hero?

One, don't believe that. I believed that when I was younger and now I'm getting perfect grades in math and engineering classes that I've been taking for fun. You'd be surprised what you can will yourself into.

Two, if you genuinely want to avoid math, try to find something similar that you are genuinely useful at. Science, for what it's worth, doesn't require a lot of math and can be fairly useful. Foreign languages degrees could make you useful as a translator, especially when paired with another degree. Computer engineering/programming is GREAT, assuming you're willing to deal with very basic math.

I know a lot of people who majored in something they were good at but which had no real value (e.g. Communications) and just managed to get a job by hustling hard and working part time outside of school. In their case, the companies were more impressed by the hustle than anything else.

tl;dr: Find something you're good at but that a company would actually find valuable. If all else fails, do what you're good at and hustle on the side to show utility.

you end up higher in the pyramid. you know there are ranks in the police and the justice system

what do you actually do in chemical engineering ?

You also said something about computer programming in a latter comment. Do you think it will go well with a finance major?

"Business degree"

That sounds so funny.

You can't learn business in school, kids.

>You also said something about computer programming in a latter comment. Do you think it will go well with a finance major?
Absolutely. While I haven't really spoken with anyone extensively involved in finance in a while, business in general is desperate for people with computer knowledge, even if it's just being really damn good at Excel.

did a degree in japanese studies for the year abroad.
Now hate Japan.
Want to teach myself programming, but too much pressure from parents to get a job, meaning I'm going to have to work somewhere trying to speak japanese, which stresses me the fuck out, and so hate my life.

this close to just investing what little I have left in $KNPD

How is petroleum engineering God Tier if oil is gonna run out soon?

checkmate athiests

Anti-Americans are never gonna make it lel

Greatest country of all time

t. sadly non-American

Why is computer sci waste of life tier?

so people who know how to extract oil more efficiently from diminishing sources will be sought after ? the entire sector will colapse at some point in the future tho

>Not rating Political Science and International Relations

Because it's bait and there's lots of CS people on 4chins.

>Studying over summer
>Not doing internships

This is where you go wrong. Most of your other points are decent, but you'll want to kill yourself grinding at that pace three years straight, and you miss out on better opportunities to get experience. Engineering internships are typically paid, and often pay quite well. You'll take another year, but you'll have almost a full year's worth of experience.

You might get a full-time offer to work at the place you interned, or you could use that experience to get ahead and work for a better company than might have hired you if you graduated in three years with no experience.

I wouldn't take that risk unless you can truly be god-tier within the industry. Rise quickly, make bank, invest it, and get out. Heck, maybe get some advanced knowledge for when to start shorting oil futures.

Also there's no reason you can't go into Petroleum Engineering with a more general degree in mechanical or chemical engineering. Some of those degrees are so specific, you don't want to get pidgeonholed into one thing.

i see all this talk about finance combined with some science/engineering degree, but what about econometrics, is econometrics similar to finance and some hard science or is it a meme

You make a good point. Assuming internships are available, I 100% agree that they should be a high priority. With that said, you could still split the baby - do the internship, and see if your school will take you take bullshit GenEds online at night.

(Also: I grinded like that for 3 years straight, did just fine)

They're based off of memes and Veeky Forums shitposting.

If you use any guide on any *chan to determine your life course you are a fool.

is acturial science top half or bottom half

i don't see business administration, but that should be God Tier

this and /thread

see

You're an idiot

ok

What about finance?

What's a good degree for someone with low IQ?

Law in these bad memes are always listed as below even good tier

Literally law is a prestige whore industry, if you are in the top 5 law schools, you are making over 180k a year starting. Anything less and you are broke

>Literally law is a prestige whore industry, if you are in the top 5 law schools, you are making over 180k a year starting. Anything less and you are broke
To be more specific, starting salary at a large law firm is around 170k right now, as there was a ~10k bump this/last year in NY.

That said, the income distribution for lawyers looks like a saddle - there are a shit ton of people who make like 50k starting (e.g. public interest attorneys, prosecutors, etc) and a decent amount of people in biglaw making 170k.

Youtube videos

If you are looking for work and then business; engineering. Period. Anyone who tells you otherwise is retarded.

Don't do a hard science if you are looking for easy street to job land.

How hard is Economics? From what I've heard,its pretty hard but has the same value as any easy business degree. Is this true?

Going to a state uni for Technical Communications, but I also want to double major in something that isn't Comp Sci. Any suggestions?

Did an online BSci in Information Technology. Didn't do any internships. Graduated with 55k p/a job as a sysadmin. God, I love living in the Midwest.

Just started a Uni for chem. Originally I was going to go into biochemistry, but now I am considering going into Chemical Engineering. What are the pros and cons of them, and which has more available jobs?

Do Chem or biochem if you plan on attending a professional school (pharmacy, med, dental).

Otherwise, do Chem E. Any engineering really except petroleum.

accounting

>Econ only mid tier

shit list

What do you think a good pairing with Finance would be?

The required finance courses at my uni look like good foundations for double majors

Financial Information Technology: CS/IT
Investment Management: Math/Stats
Corporate Finance: Business Admin
Financial Accounting and Reporting: Accounting

>aeorospace engineering in god tier
who the fuck made these lists, it hasn't been a growth industry in over 2 decades

>Doing a double major in 3 years

You're gonna end up a statistic that way

Jewish Studies my man.

why is computer engineering god tier? I'm first year right now, it's basically electrical engineering + software engineering

School doesn't have that

XDDDDDD

check em

which is better EE or mechanic engeneering?

just be a jew and study the torah and the talmud, i guarantee you will be instantly given the position of ceo at a major corporation after you become proficient in the teachings of the talmud and choping off your dick

should i even attempt a double major at a european university

EE

But, honestly. Whatever one you are most interested in. If you don't want to do circuits don't do EE because your GPA will suffer if you aren't interested. If you don't want to do fluid mechanics, don't do mechanical.

Both are fine/safe paths to go down, but, I think I will give EE the advantage simply because there is a greater variance in what you can do with an EE degree than a mechanical

It's in unbelievable tier, but, I would put it in God tier because it's just a secure job like any engineering (granted the industry is there in your country). It's far better than any business degree in terms of early money.

Graduate make great money and then when you are older you transfer to the business/management side of engineering. Also, because CE is a mix between the 2, you can do alot of EE stuff minus the power shit and you can do some fundamental computer science/software stuff maybe like know a programming language or 2 and understand a few things about how a computer works like what a compiler does etc

It's really what you make of your degree instead of what it is.

I have a friend who studied physics. He took some medical and comp sci courses on the side. Now he is on his way to being a medical physicist.
A class-mate from middle-school studied geology. Usually people here do MSc. He said the plethora of available positions in mining companies almost made him quit before getting his BSc. He did his BSc. in 4 years (usually done in 3) whilst working in the mining sector.
One guy I know who was a bit of an artistic soul studied medical technology and design (especially "shaping"). I think he works in some office furniture manufacturing company.
Also I don't think an engineering degree is a direct path to happiness. I know a guy my age who studied programming in a university of applied science. He drives a bus now.

Just think what you'd want to do and adapt your dreams to the real world with some thinking.
I studied mathematics. Turned it into a degree more like statistics and took a lot of courses about economics. I read books on finance and traded on my own.
When I applied to my current job (I buy currencies) I just gave them a brief picture of my stock adventures, told them I get shit done and have a degree which I can utilize in this field.

>Computer science
If you think cs is just programming that some pajeet can do then you are incorrect. Cs is math.

>Cs is math
kek

it kinda is, in theory at its core it's mostly simple algebra shit

What about ergonomics/human factors engineering? I think it's pretty rare but still very important.

quality of an economics degree entirely depends on the program at your uni. Luckily the boomers have it in their heads that econ is always a really good "not an idiot" degree so you can get a job even if you go to a trash school

>PSCI
>shit tier

I like the fact that none of you live near any capital or civic center

Where would MIS fall in these categories? It's supposed to have a pretty good average salary amount, like $120k, and a good projected growth.

tiering pics aren't serious, m8

trust no-one who says they are

even a design '''degree''', or hell a human resources and office management '''''''degree''''''', can land you in a cushy yet lucrative job.

it really doesn't matter what your degree is in beyond science or humanities. Veeky Forumsnitches and /b/tards can divide it into tiers or power levels all they want, it doesn't change the fact that you can make a killing as a communications expert or a chemist both. and in this oversaturated, employer's market, it's more whom you know than how qualified you are. degrees are becoming increasingly unimportant in today's workforce; you just look up what you don't know, what's more, employers know this.