/xcg/ - XCOM General

Hot snek edition
Previous thread:News:
1)
XCOM 2 officially coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on September 6th.
>twitter.com/XCOM/status/740181548419272705
2)
Julian Gollop is working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM. Lobstermen are confirmed.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

3)
Long War Studios are working on more mods for XCOM2. The first in a planned series of five is live on Workshop + Nexus now, and is called Long War Toolbox.
>xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674832831
Also cosmetic mod author Capnbubs - maker of the most endorsed mod on the workshop - has been signed onto the LWS team to model stuff.

4)
Alien Rulers has been released alongside a large patch
> xcom.com/news/en-dangerous-ruler-aliens-await-in-xcom-2s-alien-hunters-dlc

5) user dug up some Shen's Last Gift SDK assets
>imgur.com/a/Z5aWQ

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

NEW MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains all 180 mods from the new modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

Music for killing ayys WITH FIRE:
youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

>Kill Zone reinforcement square from high ground

heh...

nothing personnel.....

ayys....

>French will be premium DLC for BF1

TOP KEK

Bayonet charges for XCOM when

I want to gut some ayys

Wew, that looks ungood

what the fuck is all that shit on that poor bolt-action rifle?

what the fuck have you done EA

/k/

They made it authentic and tactical.

bubba strikes again

Game just randomly started crashing to desktop. Restarted computer, still doing it. Anyone had this issue with XCOM2?

Mods?

>dead on arrival

what's the best class for zhang?

I made him infantry

Sure game spawn the cyberdiscs and their faggot drones in the middle of civilians why don't you

>it's a 3 cyberdiscs less than 10 tiles from each others mission mission

How do we fix multiplayer?

everyone just camps overwatch and quits when they are going to lose

We don't, multiplayer is tacked on.

>letting terror ships land
:^)

>Implying I can even spot, let alone stop them in the air at my tech level

Also make that 4 discs and a pack of floaters

Overwatch is now only possible when the enemy is in sight/has a higher penalty when the enemy isn't in sight.

?

what's the problem here tovarisch? other than your toaster

I'm a huge fan of enemy unknown and I've played it a ton, and I finally bought XCOM 2 whilst it was on sale.

Am I missing something? This game is impossibly harder. I picked veteran "for people familiar with XCOM" and I got my ass thoroughly kicked. Even when you make seemingly perfect plays you take terrible losses. And then I had to attempt to blow up an avatar base, which is just laughable. How on earth are you supposed to get through a force that outnumbers and outpowers you that much and survive?

Seriously, how are you meant to win this game? Why did they make it so much less fun than Enemy unknown? Or am I missing some important new tactic? I'm genuinely upset that I suck so much. Right now my options are switch to rookie, savescum every turn, or uninstall, and the third is looking like the most appealing.

Most Eu/EW tactics do not work.

I noticed that much, but what are the new options?

I have at least adapted to not having to kill all the ayys every mission and using faceless beacons to run to the evac, but you do have to kill /some/.

The secret is to try and kill pods as soon as they spawn or use items to prevent them from using their abilities

Cyclops eye mod when

Grenades.

Yeah, flashbangs are great. Shame there's normally about 10 different aliens who refuse to group up.

Can't carry enough to kill the amount of enemies there are, and they do terrible damage compared to guns.

fuck off retard

fuck off newfag

Just keep trying and you'll figure the strategies out.

On what number playthrough should I expect to start enjoying the game?

I started really enjoying it on the second, the tutorial tech order kind of fucks you over

Oh right, speaking of, is hacking into an officer important? What about the blacksite? I couldn't do either at my level.

Also does not doing the tutorial ruin many cutscenes? I noticed it changed a few at the start and I don't want to miss cool stuff.

I just started too, and I've only lost one soldier across 6 or so missions. I have had a number of serious injuries, however. Fuck those ADVENT mech dudes with their incendiary mortars.

If you haven't built the Guerilla Training School and upgraded your squad size already, then you should do so immediately.

That said, I'm really scared of the Black Site mission. I have a feeling it's going to shrek me.

Have you attacked any avatar bases?
I don't often have deaths, but I have so many serious injuries I couldn't fill my increased squad size on many missions near the end.

Doing the tutorial means you get a different first mission and some different flavour text, by the time you reach the blacksite you've experienced all of the tutorial.

Skulljacking the Officer will make a new time of enemy appear. You don't need to do the blacksite as soon as it spawns especially if you're using ballistics.

The secret to the blacksite is to take your time, reinforcements don't spawn till you grab the mountain dew.

Reminder that Xcom 2 is shit.

>"aliens" no longer look like aliens
>no ethereals as enemies
>no SHIVS
>no airgame
>less enemy types than the first game

Oh boy, here we go again.

>>"aliens" no longer look like aliens
I know this is shitposting but so much this.
ADVENT are bland as fuck, I miss toids.

You know the ayys are designed to look like they were fused with humans right?

>by the time you reach the blacksite
I assumed that was only meant to be tackled once you're at max tech and fully promoted? I landed there once and it looked impossible so I noped right out.

Yeah, I skulljacked an officer once and lost horribly, just wondering if doing it right is even worth it.

>aliens don't look like aliens
I dunno, Sectoids look pretty badass to me. And I swear this has more enemy types? It certainly feels like a more diverse and fucking invincible enemy force.

nvm i'm an idiot, Its in-game calendar

Ofcourse but that doesn't stop them being bland.

The idea to become resistance fighters in an alien occupied planet (but one where Humans are still the indigenous species) was a step backwards in the aesthetics department, not to mention how it threw out all the 'horror' aspects EU had.

Not yet. That sounds like a step above the Blacksite.

Right now I have two Gravely Wounded with 10+ days of recovery remaining, and one Lightly Wounded with 1 day recovery.

ADVENT Officers are Veeky Forums as fuck, though. That fuggin scarf.

holy shit

Blacksite is fine once you've got mag (t2) weapons, theres a fair few pods but you have unlimited time to kill them.

I'm going to humour your shitpost, the ayys aren't bland and the game isn't going for horror beside EU was barely creepy as it was, they just aren't to your personal taste.

>I'm going to humour your shitpost
>criticism is shitposting

here we go again

>nvm i'm an idiot, Its in-game calendar
"idiot" seems a bit of an understatement here, user

Because you do this constantly, you just come here to complain about Xcom 2 in its own general. We've tried to have this discussion countless times. Fuck off back to /v/

To be fair, user, this isn't the XCOM2 general. It's the all-purpose XCOM general.

tons of games have real world time based achievements tho

He doesn't discuss Xcom, he comes here just to shitpost about how much he hates Xcom 2.

>Because you do this constantly, you just come here to complain about Xcom 2 in its own general

Except I've been here since the vanilla EU days you bumbling retard.
I know who you are talking about and I will not let you use the /v/ shitposting boogeyman as a shield of criticism for the game.

None of my posts ever indicated shitposting but a crticism of the art style compared to the previous game, rather than open a dialogue about it you'll just call me and possibly others 'shitposters' because of your inability to take criticsm.

Fuck you and what you've turned this general into.
Before it was discussion about XCOM now it's just anime retards circlejerking about things barely on-topic and playing the victim.

>It's just one person!
No it''s really not.

fuck off retard

No you. You clearly have not been in this general long enough.

Except you never actually discuss the game, whenever you post you derail the general into how much you hate jake for Mad Max rejects. Other regulars have tried to argue with you and just resort to this where you start insulting people. If you want to discuss the old Xcom games fucking discuss them, don't cry about Xcom 2 to try and stir shit.

I agree with the points in this post and I will not use pathetic mental gymnastics to twist these points around to be used in a petty, hollow argument in a vain attempt to "prove" you "wrong".

With sincere regards:
-Moderate Anonymous

>resorting to slinging insults straight away
>spending spare time shitting on games
>i-i'm not the /v/poster

fuck off retard

Fuck off retard

You really are new if you're complaining about cyclops poster

I'm not even going to bother, it's pointless to argue.
Let's just go back to being dead and pretend nothing ever happened.

How did this place get so bad.

fuck off retards

Console release news brought attention onto Xcom again

newfags didn't bother lurking
the excessive shitposting by bigblockyrejectsanon made the general hostile to discussion
the surge of veee coming here after the console announcement meant some contributors left.

What do you hope to achieve?

some (you)s

Why?

because it makes them feel like their life is validated when people reply

I don't know

People are strange

>start a new run without tutorial
>tfw no Jane Kelly
Where is my Rangerfu

You don't get one

Do the odds of successfully skulljacking improve if you weaken the enemy first, or is it 70% chance regardless?

I also agree that the alien designs took a huge step backwards from EU. I really wish there wasn't such a focus on fighting ADVENT units because I got tired of that only a few hours into my first playthrough.

I have that itch to go back and play EW and fight the classic aliens, most of the new ones don't gel with me, just the Viper and Codex really.

then play EU again

I still think they're fine in X2, they're supposed to look like hybrids and Advent are supposed to look like humans in armour whereas in EU they were supposed to look like actual aliens and not things genetically modified to look half human.

Its apples and oranges, you can prefer the style in EU/EW but its not a step back.

>one enemy remaining
>Codex
>uses AoE disable
>sniper standing in blast zone
>don't bother moving
>use pistol to finish the Codex off
>LOL JK THERE WAS A SECOND FACELESS IN HIDING
>blast zone detonates
>sniper ded
NICE
EPIC
I LIKE IT

Is there a mirror for openxcom mods?
The mod website is ded

Are you trying to acquire a specific one? I think the bigger ones have their own dedicated forums, with stickied posts that have the direct download links.

Yeah I was gonna grab FMP and possibly Piratez

Looks like a scope and a bipod.

Why a sniper would be fighting up close and with his bayonet, and why he has a bayonet fixed in the first place, is an entirely different question.

maybe if you weren't a careless commander they'd still be alive

>getting cocky and arrogant
You deserved it.Now eat your humble pie and git gud you shitter.

>It's a the command pod spawns 5 inches from spawn episode

>xcg will never be like it was before xcom 2 was released

this used to be one of the best generals too.

Better times before 90% of every thread was snake shitposting soldier dressup mods.

Did somebody say snek?

Fuck off cancer

Does the number of missing hit points impact the wound type and number of recovery days, like, at all?

No.

Yup, medkits will not reduce the amount of injury points though

yes

Nah.

i want v to go and stay go

Add that to the list.

Snake Shitposting
Solider Dress up
Cinematic Screenshots

That's all this general is anymore.