en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung
youtube.com/watch?v=Z8BojR2BEt8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Wars
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

better than west germany at the time, that's for sure

So why did everyone want to leave?

better than east prussia at the time, that's for sure

I wish I lived in the DDR.

The NSA makes the stasi look like children playing cops and robbers.

Greed

There's a statistically probably chance either you or somebody in your immediate family would be associated with the Stasi

What did a workweek in the DDR look like? How many holidays did they have?

It's time to stop posting lad

i suppose if you're poor and all you know is shit it wouldn't seem so bad.

nice ideology there sweetie

Idk man, if you look at how people are getting fucked over left and right in the west, there is constant tension on the workfloor, everyone hates their boss, at some workplaces workers don't even socialize with eachother, etc.

in the DDR everything seemed to be so harmonious

/leftypol/ get out

fuck off capitalist pig

It was probably alright for a communist country. East Germany was the most developed country in the warsaw pact.
Also, the communist bloc, for all its faults, seemed to preserve some good aspects of european culture. Small, tight-knit communities, well-trained classical musicians. There didn't seem to be as much extreme-liberal pussy culture as there is in the capitalist west.

you literally have autism
congratulations

Don't you have innocent people to starve to death?

Literally didn't happen in the DDR, I am sorry

Suck a cock your pathetic cuck

Some of us don't want to be robbed of the fruits of our labor

>MUH SIX GORILLION KULAKS

Kill yourself commie

no

There was probably more freedom in East Germany than in modern Germany.

So they built a wall to protect people from greed? How considerate!

It was to protect people from fascism, it was called the Anti-Fascist Protective Wall

Fascism died before the split, though.

NATO are fascists

How many fascists tried to jump the wall?

They were big on nudism

> This entire thread
It's like you just read some DDR-propaganda, like the wall being an "Anti-Fascist Protective Wall", and took it as an accurate depiction of reality.

>musicians being valued
>not having to be a homeless street beggar because you are a musician
SOUNDS FUCKING AWESOME

Yeah as long as you don't play 'imperialist' music.

lol

yeah, just as long as you don't play music critical to the government or their russkie butt buddies

Literally google it I am not making this up

That was an excuse, the real reason of the wall was to keep east Germans from escaping

Why should I believe you over the party officials? What do you think I am, ein dummkopf?

Life kind of sucked if you were a farmer. But being an East German farmer still sucks, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

>No freedom
People don't really like freedom tbqh.

retarded contrarianism

I probably just fell for bait, but people actually think like this so fuck you anyway.

people worked 4 days per week. had guaranteed minimum of 1 month paid vacation. you could take more time off if you wanted.

daily 4 hour lunch break

guaranteed a job

healthcare was free
4+ months of maternity
no taxes, neither was there private taxes in form of "insurance" (car insurance, health insurance)

free high quality education etc

casual raw sex with co-workers, and cavities were tight and self-lubricated back then

Is this fucking real? Holy shit DDR sounds like fucking paradise

Reminder that one of the SED's official songs was literally called "The Party is always right".

Retard.

yes

also remember that the iron curtain kept out all the materialist poison of the west

what that meant was all men dressed like autists (Urkel-style with pants pulled up to the belly) and were drowning in pussy

and ladies were properly innocent, feminine, homely and nerdy as well

which makes ogres
really jealous and butthurt

Life was actually preddy good in ddr from what my dad told me.

Sure you didn't have Pepsi and Spearmint bubble gum and 'fashionable' murcan clothes, but you had actual food, not tainted by any corporate profit boosting chemical. Fish, meat, eggs, milk, bread, you name it. Shit was healthy, bottle of milk had only one ingredient - whole milk.

sex was as easy as any autist (we were all autists, this is eastern europe afterall...remember?) walking down the street to a random qt stranger and taking her to the sauna. simple, raw, juicy and sweatfully sweet.

fresh raw pussy and food was plentiful

You're making up comic bullshit, though, and that guy was dumb to believe you. Just one example: the "no taxes" stuff.

>The income tax system in East Germany was only moderately progressive, with a maximum average tax rate of 20 percent for incomes above M 15,120. West Germany, on the other hand, has a highly nonlinear tax schedule, with an increasing marginal tax rate up to a maximum income of DM 130,032 in 1988. Thus, the tax system is progressive, and the net income distribution would be quite a bit tighter. We do not attempt to calculate net incomes since the tax system makes it hard to attribute taxes to husbands and wives in multiple earner families.

nber.org/chapters/c7864.pdf

It had its pros and cons like any regime. Obviously communist bureaucracy has a stagnating effect on economy, they ideologically indoctrinated their citizens, there were lots of ugly drab housing projects, and of course the Stasi.

On the flip side, I do think the heavy subsidies making high culture such as opera and classical music accessible to the common person was great and something I wish we had in the west. Also, there are the aforementioned cultural differences- The lack of the frantic hustle of capitalist life, the camraderie of living together in a community frugally, etc.

interesting reading:
thevieweast.wordpress.com/2014/02/14/paula-kirby-on-life-in-the-gdr/

I dislike marxist cultural distortion and what it is doing to the west, but to be frank, east germany seemed pretty comfy.

its true dough
talk to anyone from the iron curtain + USSR
taxes were non-existent. people were paid a fixed sum set by the state, no tax collection on workers.

It was a very effective wall.

In the DDR:
>There were no homeless
>Everyone could get a cozy job where you only worked 1-2 hours per day and sat around the rest of the day
>Even with such a job you could still afford a car
>Food was cheap
>The radio still played Volksmusik instead of american gutter music
>You could leave your home unlocked and nobody would rob you
>and all the wholesome horny gals you desired

I was born in 91 and my parents told me that in there were taxes, but you just weren't told how much money was deducted from your income.

Yeah cause communists are known for their extreme honesty

>Everyone could get a cozy job where you only worked 1-2 hours per day and sat around the rest of the day
>Even with such a job you could still afford a car

I find this hard to believe, also the car part is not true, many people in the DDR did not have a car and had to rely on public transport

>>Food was cheap
no bananas

My dad was a fisherman in 1990, and after the fall of the wall a lot of east germans joined him on his ship back then.

He told me how they arrived in their DDR worker uniforms, and how they didn't know what the fuck they were looking at when they got offered a watermelon.

>live in sub-arctic germany for thousands of eons
>complain about lack of tropical jungle fruits

and guess what else europe still lacks?
durians, jackfruits, mangosteens, rambutans, jacoticabas to name a few

>literally oblivious to the presence of shipping

>get locked in a cell with your own shit, piss and vomit if you get on the wrong people's bad side

Communist countries like Cuba have even managed to slowly give gays rights without turning into insane western degeneracy. I think East Germany was in the process of doing this too before it dissolved.

>- Literally every other aspect of life was perfect
Wasn't it just epic that all had about the same money?

Well it's something we should strive for as a species, equality

What is this? A Krautchan meme?

>literally oblivious to the shipping of tropical bananas to europe
>bases societal quality on bananas

go eat a banana and alleviate the pressure on your sloped forehead and receding chin

Who is that? Yezhov?

>country literally so inept that they can't implement 1880s technology
>well, everything else was great
>except for the everything else that isn't directly the work of GDR propaganda, which are also either isolated incidents or capitalist lies

dats rite

I can agree that there shouldn't be such great wealth disparity, but I really don't want to live in some fucked up Harrison Bergeron reality with complete equality

But what made it good? As far as I know all have the same money is one of the stronger ones very very little can defy

courtesy of muvluv threads on /a/.

In the DDR:
>…the Stasi often used a method which was really diabolic. It was called Zersetzung, and it's described in another guideline. The word is difficult to translate because it means originally "biodegradation". But actually, it's a quite accurate description. The goal was to destroy secretly the self-confidence of people, for example by damaging their reputation, by organizing failures in their work, and by destroying their personal relationships. Considering this, East Germany was a very modern dictatorship. The Stasi didn't try to arrest every dissident. It preferred to paralyze them, and it could do so because it had access to so much personal information and to so many institutions.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zersetzung

>yfw the FSB does this to reporters in modern day Russia

The FSB literally assasinates people

It isn't an either/or thing.

I know, I was just backing your claim up by pointing out that they even do worse stuff

back 2 da jungl w/ u

>implying you can be a proper American without sending your kid to school with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a banana
>implying there isn't an American inside every communist, trying to get out

this short video gives a pretty accurate description on how it really was.
youtube.com/watch?v=Z8BojR2BEt8

>be fat lazy pansee
>satiate your banana lust by stuffing all your cavities with plump bananas
>no more bananas left
>go to war

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Wars

>America can literally decide the governments of foreign countries to maintain control of delicious banana
>commies can't even buy them on the open market

Propaganda, a lot of Germans even today really miss the DDR

So? Germans are retarded
>import muslims
>problems arise
>solution? import more muslims!

Equality is unequal. When you make up for the slack of society the median is dragged down and the truly exceptional can never reach the heights they're capable of.

nobody is exceptional, people get power / wealth becaus of luck

(You)

nice argument, literally all rich and powerful people say that they got there because of luck

So Einstein wasn't smart just really lucky

>literally

einstein wasn't rich nor powerful, he was influential though

Easterner here.
Once you accepted the fact that you will never leave the zone, life was pretty ok (expect you could via Mongolia, but only few people knew how).

Sure we didn't had those awesome stuff Westerners had and the state leaders were dumbfucks, and the party was pretty conservative. But their inability to adapt, which was the reason the state ceased existing in the end, was why we could enjoy the few freedoms that we had. Because whenever something new came, they never knew how to react to this.

If the right people came to power, the DDR would've been a neat place. But Ulbricht was a cunt and Honecker an idiot. And those two were the only ones we had.

O sorry, I didn't see this

He was exceptional is what he was. Exceptional because he had no arbitrary limits imposed on him.

Its '''like''' let's start getting this sort of thing now. There is no one with anything better to do. The enormous economic and military power of this sort of thing will make it work. Wherever it starts. Military can also be interpreted as non violent. And preferably. For the best results too. So actually not violent. That is not figuratively meant in any way.

>via mongolia

explain

mongolia was in between USSR and china.
are you saying people escaped from communism to get to another communism?

There was a portal in Mongolia which lead to the US

So this is why the DDR didn't export shit?

Had the potential to have been much better.

literally everything has the potential to be much better except your mom's vagina