/rlg/ - Roguelike General

Junethack is ongoing for the rest of June: junethack.net/
/rlg/ clan: Just kidding, there isn't one.

DCSS Trunk Updates:
crawl.develz.org/wordpress/trunk-updates-12-june-2016

>FAQ and What to Play
FAQ: pastebin.com/Q7K91Q34
What to Play?: pastebin.com/yfUKx35f

>Webterminal
Rogue Nexus – Cataclysm online with shared map and tons of other roguelikes in a simple online package! (USA Only)
roguenex.us

>Individual Game Pastas
pastebin.com/pkf1qnuZ

Previous thread:

awoo lad

>tfw no CENTAUR CAVALRY bf

And before user bitches, if you want to put the HoM beta in the OP, don't upload a tar.gz containing precompiled source for an unknown system with random ttyrecs and scores list already present to tinyupload.
Jesus christ.

There's a really solid ring here that I could most definitely use, but the iron golems worry me.
I could finesse+hero+regen (I've got the spell down to 30% and I'm wearing a regen amulet), maybe even use lignification and see how things go, but I'm worried I'll just straight up splat.

Is there anything I could do here that I'm just not thinking of? These stairs are the only ones leading to this place (Except for a single yet-to-be-discovered stairs on the floor below this one).

And if you're wondering why I'm playing such a wobbly character: I'm playing human wanderers and rolling with whatever I get to try and get better at the game. I'm regularly making it through half of Lair with wonky-ass characters, so it seems to be working out for me.

you can just compile it for your own system

No no.
The file has source (*.c), compiled source files for unix (*.o), as well as a bunch of random files.
Like he literally uploaded his own */mist directory instead of a clean copy.

This fucks with your mind. There's infinite islands and each island is infinite too. wut

Yeah I downloaded it as a meme game and was honestly suprised by how fun it is. Lots of different lands, behaviours, mechanics etc.

Don't try to fight unless you have to. They can probably kill you. You could swiftness in and try to teleport out, but it'd be risky.

>has entire source code
>complains that there's also a built version for some system in there

It's a beta, user. It's not going to be pre-built for every system yet, so you can use the source code to build your version if you are interested.

I'll probably need my only TP scroll to save my ass some other time. The +stealth and invis would have been neat, but I'll try to come back for it after Lair.
Thank you for the advice.

Just shout until they are all following you, then loop around get the loot and get out. Iron golems are slow.

Woop, got my 10 pirate treasures. On to the next land.

>that moment when you're swarmed by tough zombies who just killed your hope of survival
into the basement I go.

>chose Blackbelt as my start in Cata
>initially turned off by the 8 point req
>chose Karate as my art
>escape a burning building and begin ORA ORA ORA ORAing enemies to death without being touched once
>check the skill bonuses for this profession
>Dodging (8), Melee (8), Unarmed (8)
22+ points of skill and a free martial art for 8 points is enrapturing. I don't think I'll ever bother using a gun again.

The fact that Black Belt doesn't start with any items, weapons, or even very good clothing and that its point cost is on-par with tacticool bionic snipers and such says something.

>quick strike
>precise strike
Cudgel fucking OP please nerf.

You were right, I hadn't even noticed their movement speed on the knowledge bot.
Ring get. Thanks!

I've never used the cudgel in earlygame because in terms of damage output it just seems so inferior to the nail board or the meme spear. Do the techniques actually make it useful?

FYI, you can also inspect monsters in newer versions of DCSS to see if they're faster or slower than your character.

If you want to kite a lot or have good perception to get the crits.
Otherwise it's meme spear or copper knife.

the only roguelike i have beaten is crawl
what is the next roguelike i should beat
i dabble too often in too many, while i should be focusing

Well I have 0 melee skill and 10 encumbrance and I still kept stunning him and raining blows on him like no tomorrow.
The quarterstaff is better though.

Nethack. Now there's a game.

Stable or experimental?
Stable has ultra-ez crits where you can expect to get 70% chance by early midgame.

perception gives you crits?

Fix it and re-upload it, is what I'm saying.

PCB

In experimental yes

In stable crits are pretty much free and fists are a top tier weapon

MEME
A
I
L

Experimental of course.
Look at this shit. I got five hits on him before he could do anything because he was stunned and that's not counting the cart-kiting.

How do you even stun a fucking amorphous goo invading a cadaver is beyond me

but seriously though
they have so much content to learn
and so many instant deaths
nethack moreso, i like the idea but can't barely get past the first 10 levels

Okay so say you've got 11 staves skill, but you suddenly found a triple sword (unenchanted, unbranded).
Would that be a big enough find to say fuck it and start training longswords?

I'm assuming not, but my quarterstaff is having a hard time with lair monsters, and triple swords are an end-game tier weapon right?

Nethack's far less convoluted than PCB. Just make a valk and dip for excalibur and you've gotten a ticket to the midgame.

a lot depends on whether you are planning to do extended or not...if you're going to zig up to 27 in every skill anyways, for example...

but in a 3 rune game my guess is that it's only very rarely worth it, if ever, after so much investment

yes

Not unless you are worshipping Ash.

>How do you even stun a fucking amorphous goo invading a cadaver
You grab a cudgel and move into its direction

Keep the staff and pray for a lajatang, 3swords require max investment to be effective

nethack has way more shit you have to know than PCB

in PCB it's just
>does this monster cast scary spells or breathe for lots of damage or summon summoners?
in nethack you have shit like cockatrices, wands of death, eels instakilling you

Well at least I'm with Oka, so here's hoping he'll dump a laj on me at some point.
Even with 2 wins under my belt, this is the first time I've ever even found a triple sword. It looks so sexy god damn.
I appreciate the advice.

Those things are simple though. Don't touch cockatrices, wands of death kill and you can get drowned. PCB's sheer bulk is astounding.

I really need to stop putting Insomnia on my DDA characters. It's definitely a lot more annoying than it used to be, and not being able to reliably fall asleep in the early game is a bitch.

i mean pcb has MORE enemies, but a lot of them are mostly very similar

it also has an easymode ID minigame compared to nethack

With Oka I think you're pretty much guaranteed to get a Lajatang eventually.

>PCB's sheer bulk is astounding.
PCB doesn't have instadeath,for one.

Actually, until you get to the midgame PCB is quite forgiving.

>clone the CDDA repo
Holy shit it's actually bigger than DCSS, what the fuck?

well in any case, which would be the best variant? i used to play nethack4, is that considered the typical upgraded choice? or should i vanilla mode

>4 (four) acquirements before Depths
>armour every time
>+2 cloak
>+1 hat with MR+
>shiny buckler
>-Cast randart boots

I'm a fucking retard

It depends on your staff brand, staff enchantment, god choice, your species, and any available support spells that you may have online.

Typically, if you are trying to play optimally, you want to select a strong weapon type at the beginning of the game and use the best thing within that category you can find. There are exceptions to this of course, as with any character in Crawl, but it's usually not worth it to dump experience in multiple weapon categories when that experience could be placed into pumping your defenses or support spells instead.

Staves don't really qualify as a strong weapon category to select from the start in DCSS, largely because lajatangs are very rare drops. You can make a staff character work with some minimal knowledge of the game, but if you have to ask the question you'd probably be better off selecting a different weapon skill on future playthroughs.

tl;dr: I wouldn't switch, but it might be a good idea for you to do so.

Those all sound good except the boots though. And if you're a troglodyte, then the boots are fine too.

haha yeah
it takes HOURS.

That's what you get for ignoring the gudposter advice to acquire wands

>get +2 cloak
>I already had a +2 cloak

>get +1 hat
>I have a randart helmet

>get shiny buckler
>I have loads of them

>get boots (the only slot I was missing)
>randart
>"finally something good"
>-Cast
>I'm a stabber

>complaining
think of all those MuMos starving in spain that would give their pinkie finger for a +1 hat

Then you definitely are an idiot for acquiring armour when you apparently already have a bunch of it.

I mean I guess? I think nethack is simpler though. Even at the endgame things are pretty easy to understand.

I just like vanilla nethack: though it has its share of issues it's a solid experience. I've heard good things about nethack4 though.

>tfw you find a vending machine

Guess I'll be on a liquid diet for the next month.

Just like IRL

Dildzillion of commits

If you don't care about the history, you can try cloning only the most recent revision.

I just meant the sheer size of the repo itself.
DCSS takes a long time to clone too since it has a huge number of commits, but CDDA's source is like 0.7gb or seomthing.

Well yeah, but IRL you aren't depending on a full night's sleep so that your zombie bites and bullet wounds can disappear.

Bought a amulet with summon monsters at the black market, which is good for scumming up good mounts.

Finally I can fly to zul and lonely mountain.

700 mb is just the .git directory.
Sources are 11 mb, data is 18 mb, gfx is 45 and language data is 45.

You can clone just the last revision with some git fuckery and then it should be less than 200 mb total.

I been playing DCSS nonstop for a week now and I can't tell if im doing something wrong or I just have strenuously bad luck. Some situations I know I could've used 'x' potion or teleport out of the place. Although it gives me unavoidable situations, like my recent playthrough.

My Draconian barbarian managed to luck out and get a full set of armor plus enchantments early game. Yet, I run into a pair of orcs with one of them apparently workshipped a God(which I didn't even know it was impossible for a mob to do) and use Smite to kill me in 2 hits.

>Your demonic ancestry asserts itself...
>Your feet have mutated into hooves!
>Your +2 pair of boots of running falls away!

>Although it gives me unavoidable situations
No, you're just learning.

Orc Priests (the green ones) always worship a god and can always SMITE for up to 17 damage.

The important thing in DCSS is recognizing when you see a dangerous enemy and running away from them BEFORE the fight goes sour.

>unavoidable
I'll agree with you that this happens, if only when you still haven't gotten a good grasp of the game yet. You probably encountered an orc priest, they can target you as long as you are in their range of vision without needing to ever get close to you. You should wait them around a corner out of their sight to avoid damage, and once they appear in front of you you start hitting them.

There are some themed enemies who worship gods, like those orc priests (Beogh) or profane servitors (Yredelemnul) for example.

Yeah, but Orc Priests didn't cast Smite before and I even used a haste potion to escape, but I guess they can kill me off screen once I see them chanting.

Priests? They smite from LOS. Get out of LOS.

You're likely doing tons of things wrong which, as you play more, you'll learn to stop doing. The first lesson you learn is that not fighting something is perfectly OK, and more often than not running away or leading single enemies back into controlled spaces is always a good idea.

I've ascended a number of times and I still make the mistake of fighting when I shouldn't. Usually out of boredom at this point.

Also, remember that you can press 'x' to examine elements on the screen. Hovering over a monster tells you what they are and what they are wielding, and pressing 'v' over them shows a screen describing pretty much everything you would want to know about that particular monster (spells, abilities, movement speed, if they fly, if they can see you while you are invisible, etc.).

Orc Priests can always cast smite, but they might use one of their other 3 spells instead.

And in DCSS nothing can kill you from off screen. Unless it poisoned you or something while it was still in view.

>or profane servitors (Yredelemnul)
BRING BACK DEATH KNIGHT BACKGROUND!

Yeah that's what I love about the game so far is how the difficulty and unexpected scenarios raise so fast, that it punishes for feeling too confident. Most gameplays, I don't realize my mistake until it reviews my item list.

BRING BACK MOUNTAIN DWARF

BRING BACK LAVA ORC, BRING BACK CRUSADERS, BRING BACK HEALER ALONGSIDE WITH ELVYION PIETY/EXPERIENCE FROM PACIFYING ENEMIES!

but dont bring back distill potion and evaporate because that shit was legit op
level 2 meph clouds god damn that stuff was broken

RIP Sludge Elves

Wouldn't have been OP if it had just procced 1-tile clouds, like fire breath, making it only useful in corridors.

My favorite transmuter race, lost forever because "too many elf races lol".

I also miss flavored items, as in dwarfish/elfish items. Sure, they didn't do shit unless you were a dorf or elf, but the little bonuses they gave if you were those races were pretty cool.

>Mu ever starving
Next you're going to tell me our blood is blue inside of our bodies.

If you worshiped Beogh and wore full orcish stuff you'd get like +8 AC.

> they didn't do shit unless you were a dorf or elf
dwarf items were more resistant to corrosion and elf items had lower spellcasting penalties

Really now? I don't remember that at all. Makes me what else I've forgotten about that was in Crawl back then.

>Makes me
Makes me wonder.

dwarven things were also more heavy and elven things more light.
Elven stuff also gave a slight boost to stealth, which stacked with the number of elven items worn.

>trunk DDA
>every other basement is now a mini-gunstore with a guarantee to have one if not two weapon mods
>weapon mods take 0 skill to attach now
>can't ever keep the same gun though since finding mags and ammo are a dice roll
>either have to keep removing mods from guns to attach to new guns you have ammo/mags for or choose a magless gun and get slammed with one shell at a time reloads
>cars now require no skill to drive and won't serve around everywhere
>always get hit with "the wagglan gizmo refuses to work!" upon starting a vehicle
>either that or the vehicle lacks a wheel/all wheels like usual
>or it's an 80% gas/diesel 80% battery ~23% clean water ideal rig and no screwdriver is around to jumpstart it once you realize it has no keys
>even if you do jumpstart it 99% of the time it sets an alarm off
>hordes still broken and spawn huge shitloads of monsters no matter what the spawn rate is set to
food captcha STILL refuses to differenitate between a fucking burger and a sandwich
I'm not sure how to feel about any of this

Burgers are technically sandwiches.

>Dwarven armour provides better protection when worn by any species, though its added weight impedes spellcasting more than usual. Dwarves are protected even further, and they do not receive the additional spellcasting penalty.

>In addition, all dwarven equipment is more resistant to corrosion than normal, providing an innate 80% chance to resist corrosion on top of any enchantment bonuses.

>Elven armour is lighter than usual, so it impedes spellcasting less than other types of armour when worn by any species. Elven cloaks and boots also grant a small bonus to stealth.
And that's omitting the obvious boons if you're a dwarf/elf.
also orcish gave positive boni if you were an orc but only if you were one.

That's basically all the challenge in DCSS, getting overconfident and accidentally killing yourself. 9/10 times I die due to boredom/not paying attention due to being overconfident.

I mean, boredom/inattention/lack of care is almost always how characters die in roguelikes, with the exception of "oh wow that's the first time I died in that particular way"

>told to pick chocolates
>there's a spider
>pick the spider
>it works
sasuga, captcha

Remember when you could throw daggers and clubs
remember when D was 27 levels deep
remember where there was no runelock
but I also remember assgutter and item destruction

Remember encumbrance? That fucked over Spriggans.

Remember when wielding a cursed mace would lead to you starving to death?
Remember when hammers were a thing?

>carrying 99 large rocks as a spriggan now has so much sense.
They could have just added a BoH item or something.
That would have saved item destruction from just being "lol you get it in zot because dracs have cloaks"

>DsMo
>Hooves 3, claws 3, horns 2
>Spiny 2
>Powered by death 1
>A tablord's dream
>Lose focus
>Splat
erry tiem

Remember victory dancing and needing to carve chunks with a boot knife that could also be cursed?

Remember METALBAWXES: THE BRANCH?

Oldcrawl wasn't even close to the pinnacle of design that nostalgiatards make it out to be.

Remember every single fish enemy ever
remember thorn lotuses
no wait those were awful

Is there a list somewhere for monster's evolution line in PCB? I'd like to know the jelly's in particular.