/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

Last Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/TEF9NUVf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>capture numerous undesirables in cage traps
>put them all in one room
>round up less than desirable pets and pasture them in same room
>seal room
>open cages
>once undesirables are done killing pets and each other, send in military to finish off any survivors
This is going to be great.

How do you get an active squad to get to a burrow? Whenever I tell my militia to go to a certain burrow, they change back into their civilian roles

Defend burrow orders.

>cyclops steps into weapon trap
>gets gelded among various other injuries

Kinda wish adventure mode injuries were more complex desu

>complex injuries
>tfw the pile of assorted goblin chunks littering my camp isn't complex enough

In adventure mode can you travel across the world?

I wana play both modes at one point, would it hurt my fortress game if I generate the world according to what the wiki's recommended settings for adventure mode?

FUCK I have a vampire. How do I root him out

Yes. No, not much. If you want more details look at the difference between the recommended settings and research what they do (or pick a compromise).

>In adventure mode can you travel across the world?
No. NPC adventurers can travel between different sites, but player adventurers are limited to the site where they started.

It's a planned feature, though. According to Toady, the dev, we might be able to travel between different sites in adv mode as soon as in 2018.

Ok, so seriously, what is the point of generating this massive world, with millions of history and events, if you are stuck in a tiny corner of it, unable to access or even be effected by anything not within you're immediate vicinity?

Do humans sell Cotton? Just got my 2nd human caravan in a row with no Cotton

Newb here, is there any reason NOT to use all of your starting points? The default leaves you with some left over and I was wondering if those get used on something else.

It's just an alpha, have some patience.

Just the last month, Toady said that he had started working on an algorithm that would help generate the landscapes outside the playable sites. When he's done with that(around mid-2017), he can start working on roads and fast travel mechanics. Sometime in the early 2018, we might be able to travel to other sites in adventure mode.

I'm pretty hyped fampai.

>Game came out 10 years go
>It's just an alpha

I had no idea it was even still in development.

Also
Was rusing you. You can travel in adv mode.

I am not entirely familiar with the mechanics of taverns yet. Is it possible to set up a tavern area for dancing and serving and instruments and stuff, and another tavern area that's a booze stockpile plus a few chests for steins, and no one goes there except the tavernkeeper?

>assign wheelbarrow to stockpile
>it ONLY uses wheelbarrows from that point
what the fuck? So the 40 idle dwarves wont help carry wood because there isnt 40 spare wheelbarrows lying around?

Would be faster to just not use wheelbarrows at all

Is he 1100 years old? well then easy bro, if not, its the most OP dwarf

Could you have a fort full of vampire dwarfs or would it ultimately end in fun?

Yeah, they're trollan like a dark fortress on shearing day.

The biggest difference between a regular fort world gen and an adventurer one is stuff like bogeymen, you either feel like dealing with them or they're just annoyances so you disable them.

That and stuff that might be awesome in a fort isn't as fascinating when you're hoofing it around, and vice versa... though running around on the ground lets you find amazing sites, which yes, some will point out you can learn to recognize from the embark screen, but there are still details which don't show up there like this thing.

26 z deep, dual facing waterfalls, north one drops the whole way, south one is about 10 z from the bottom, natural zig-zag river canyon begging to have a chunk turned into an isolated fortress, and of course, writhing evil grass, purple trees, and kobold blood rain!

you can but the vampires need to drink blood to stay productive. just like dwarfs need booze. other than that there are not much downsides. theyre stronger and dont die of old age

Won't vampire hammerers attack other dorfs for drinking blood?

>just like dwarfs need booze
Vampire dorfs need booze too, and unless the implementation of taverns changed how this worked, they WON'T drink any due to not being thirsty for anything but blood. This means that vamp dorfs will soon become really unproductive, making a vamp fort a really bad idea.

I mean, it's a curse for a reason.

>man-thinking.jpg

THIS CAN ONLY END WELL

is this b8

Nah, tavern keepers will give anybody a mug so long as they aren't already drowning in their own vomit.

Hey guys, just wondering why Dwarf therapist is out of date, was going to learn how to play with it, does it affect the game is it's out of date. I would obviously like to play the game with all the new shiney bits.

What a difference 100 years makes.

Doing an experiment to see if I can get the gobbos to cluster in the middle interestingly. So far so good.
Pretty sure you can update the memory addresses manually if they aren't already updated, and you can use the pre-release dfhack with dwarf manipulator which I prefer to therapist anyways.

That world is beautiful. Care to paste your world-gen.text?

Can dwarves use shields with spears or are spears 2 hand weapons?

Same question for warhammers.

It's funny because I was getting frustrated with the pretty swoopy curves that PW makes naturally and painted in some of the glacier/evil sections in the middle like a little kid with mspaint and it turned out pretty neat.

pastebin.com/TEF9NUVf

Note: this world has the hell layer turned off, enable it if you want candy and such.

I disabled it to play with the weirdness where approaching a volcano from the northwest on foot makes the obsidian/magma disappear if there is a magma sea but no hell.

>re-release dfhack with dwarf manipulator which I prefer to therapist anyways.

wot

No, tavern zoning isn't that precise. The game does look for the largest unobstructed continuous area in the tavern to determine where the dance floor is, but aside from that you can't really control areas that dwarves have access to, aside from getting autistic with your burrow assignments (which doesn't always work with needs based jobs).

You painted glaciers / evil areas?
When I've messed with PW it seemed that the only painting that would stick is the elevation stuff. You mean I can actually paint on the temperature / savagery tabs and have it work? What about if I add a noise map to that afterwards?

Also how do you paint evil regions?

Thanks for the file, but I figured I was going to have to delve into weighted values wizardry in order to get that sort of effect.

>tfw captured a giant cave spider
Someone give me a foolproof plan for a silk farm that will work with a domesticated GCS. I tried the one on the wiki and it didn't work for shit.

>pre-release dfhack
A fact
> with dwarf manipulator
A fact
>which I prefer to therapist anyways.
An opinion

Problem?

Evil is using the squares counts, I had to fuck around a lot to get the rest to work right, make sure you turn off all the rejection parameters and shit like poles when playing with it, and painting sadly overrides noise maps, but it still looks neat.

Is there a way to search for specific names when spreading rumours?
The filter only works with certain keywords.

use wiki

What if I set up my booze stockpile to have a lot of pillars in it, thus making it a series of very tiny unobstructed continuous areas? Will that keep all the visitors out?

Do zombies ressurect even if I cut their heads/necks? I've being going at it but they never seem to stop coming.

All the wiki says is:
>All dwarves can equip spears, but some must use two hands.
What does that mean?
Depending on how strong the dwarf is determines if they can 1 hand it?

No, it'll just keep them from dancing there.

It goes by size, not strength. There's a chart on the weapons page that tells you the percentage of dwarves that will need to two-hand any given weapon, just based on the staistic spread of dwarf sizes.

Close enough.

Spears are one handed, no matter what the strength is.

No, I just have no idea what you are talking about.

Can one dwarf have multiple noble jobs?
Like can my broker also be a bookkeeper and manager?

What the hell. This is my first serious experience with df zombies, and I'm fucking pissed.

Yep, but once he dies you're fucked

Definitely. I always make my current mayor my baron to save on the number of rooms I have to make.

I forgot that I did put some of the weighted value stuff in but I don't know what if anything it does with PW maps in place.

Still wish I knew how to undo a painted section.

Finally decided to finish the world-gen, ate breakfast and it was only at 360~ something, fuck it, this is high enough.

Not yet, with dfhack there's a script that was posted in the dfhack subforum which streamlines the rumors screen and adds "slew" as a keyword.

You can also tell stories about the person/creature, or as you more than likely don't know enough about THEM, the site where you killed them/it. Do this with a big crowd and introduce yourself afterwards it spreads fame really fast.

Necromancers inside are resurrecting them, fight them around the corner out of sight of the necros or that will keep happening.

>10000+ quarry bush leaves
>just under 6000 meat
>some other non-brewable plants to cook
>2750+ plump helmets
>100ish brewable plants
>some honey I've been collecting
Boy, I sure hope my brewers and cooks like overtime pay.

>forget to not allow tallow in cooking
>all those masterwork dog tallow roasts masterfully minced with dog tallow

>eating dogs
You monster.

Yes, I had heard about that. So I headed inside, and to my surprise there were 5 necromancers. Decapitated 3, but the last two got me. Fuck this, I was so close.

>game keeps crashing while i try to place cage traps
please, i just want giant cardinals to fill my nestboxes

How hard could it be to turn the filter into a search box?
Weird.

There's an alpha release of DFHack on their github. Search last thread for it. Manipulator is a plugin which basically does what therapist does but it is integrated into the game.

Last heroic stand.

I'm trying to come up with a simple and standardised(and hopefully scriptable) gimp technique for making pretty maps.

I want them to have the early modern sea chart feel to them.

This one was made purely from the information in the detailed hydrosphere map.

is there a "creative mode" (or plugin) in DF?
i want to build some shit for a d&d game and i don't want FUN to get in the way

What kind of shit are we talking about here? Because depending on what kind of shit you want, you might actually want FUN to happen.

You can turn sieges off, if that's what you mean. It won't be necessary though, since the entire fort mode is creative mode at the moment.

That will probably begin to change now that siegers begin to wear full armors, and armors wear down.

just maps, basically. i might end up using some 3D renders if i can but that's just bonus stuff

what i'd like is instant building, not having to worry about my dwarves (if there is any on the map) and unlimited materials

>what i'd like is instant building, not having to worry about my dwarves (if there is any on the map) and unlimited materials
I think all of those things, except perhaps the one about not worrying about dwarves, are possible with the help of DFHack scripts.

Although, what you describe sounds like minecraft.

Give regular fort mode a try. Toady's original intention is for it to be a means of generating awesome ruins and dungeons to explore, and to my understanding it's still pretty good at it.

>captured and tamed 5 cave crocodiles after having lost many to forgotten beasts
>4 males, 1 female
Optimal croc farming conditions these are not.

>embark on map
>put some traps
>a year later they are all full with elephants
>elephants keep getting trapped for the next 10 years
>war train about half of them
Those poor gobbos, haven't got a titan come yet though, can elephants manage?

Depends on the titan. If it's made of flesh or water or some other wimpy shit they can rip it up just fine, but if it's made of a rock, gem or metal they can only be brought down by metal weaponry, cave-ins or magma (and not always magma).

2 cat lmao

haha

fun joke

I was talking about that last thread, it's easy once we've figured out the structures and set up hooks to just grab the data out of various tables and use a purpose built search function. Integrating one into the game, especially the way Toady tends to do things ("I'm gonna add minecarts, whoops here's physics and inertia", "I'm gonna add music, whoops here's a knowledge tree", "I'm gonna add in a way for adventurers to build campsites, whoops here's a native version of workflow") is a bit trickier.

Making the filter itself into one with a script is basically what that rumors script does.

Rate my build.

>sites and roads are visible on the map
I just came user.

>get a pair of GCS
>build them nest boxes
>the female gives live birth to twins
Well fuck me, now I need to know if female GCS have breasts...

>mfw this actually happened to me on this very fort when different migrants waves brought some female cats and one male cat, but I was able to nip the problem in the bud by butchering the first batch of kittens immediately and having the sole male cat gelded
>mfw when applied the same solution when unwanted cavy pups started showing up
Thank you, oh great Toady, for giving us the ability to neuter pets.

user, it's a spider. It doesn't even have nipples, let alone breasts.

New player here.
Is this just a meme, or an actual problem?
Should I slaughter my cat?

Nah, just make sure that you geld any males that you find.

It will become a problem, 2cat is a good choice early on to get a nice population, but you must control the population of cats.

It's a giant spider that gives live birth I need to know.

Why on earth would it have breasts, you fucking furry?

Because they have two fucking eyes and give live birth.

Reminder.

So do several species of real life snakes, and they don't breasts. On top of that, Toady hasn't worked out the mechanics for egg laying in the style of anything other than birds and reptiles, so invertebrates, fish and amphibians do and will give live birth as a fucking placeholder mechanic until he does implement more advanced egg laying mechanics. There is no reason whatsoever to think that GCS would have breasts unless you've been reading too much /d/ material.

>First time playing
>Following the quickstart guide

So, I thought I embarked closed to a river, turns out my wagon is on the side of a mountain 5 z levels up. Should I climb down to the river or can I set up camp here and just make my farmers have to climb whenever they need to water crops?

You can set camp wherever you want in your embark zone. Just try to make it efficient.

>have had a male giant leopard for years
>finally caught a female giant leopard
>can now begin Operation: Breed Giant War Leopards

>for years

lol his dick might not get hard at this point leopards dont breed late into their life IIRC

Flip it upside down and check?

I appreciate your intuition there, but they don't need water yet, way back in the 2d era you needed the yearly cavern river floods for farming, Toady hasn't put something like it back in yet.

I couldn't have had him for more than 5 years now, so he'll be good. Still, I wouldn't mind some more giant leopards coming along.

slim chance at this point user :(

>implying animals in DF can't breed up until the day they turn over and croak
And it'll be a while before Toady gets around to fixing that.