/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Updated 6/16/16

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
If you want to collab read this pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HMhqnQcFhx4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Waifus

Douglas, Fucking retards think they can ring my phone and except me to just talk to you, fuck you

trashdev reporting in

>tfw I'm Douglas minus the nihilist part

Additional options

Douglas... minus the crippling anxeity

The kind who says
Yeah I'll start today
Then spends the whole day playing Rocket League
>Everyone here is some sort of crazy shut in
Im not surprised Brothers

For me it’s Douglas – intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor.

a nihilist with crippling anxiety doesnt even make sense.

Tell me a joke

Its inconstant, which is a trait that is not excluded from nihilists.

Yeah it does
Like how I hate people and never want to spend time with them

Is referencing by address only for debugging?
I don't understand why you would use it over regular object references.

that's not very nihilistic of you.

Pointers?
Every non primitive object you pass is a pointer. Now your language might hide this from you, so i can understand why you would be confused.
Now use a language that doesn't have babbie gloves.

>Now use a language that doesn't have babbie gloves.
I'm using c++ m8

w2use address?
w2use value?

What if I made a survival horror about Social Anxiety?

Charlottedev made one

So Silent Hill?

>C++
Thats a tight fit.

I don't want to do ASM
pls

Anyone know how to handle a 3d blendspace in UE4?

Well less symbolism
But like when you walk past a large group for big teenagers they start beating the shit out of you, but its all in your head and you take mental damage, until you take to much and you snap

For what purpose

tumblr tier

How would that work exactly?
I'd be down for another Catherine-type though.
Even though that was dreams.

C nigga.
There are 2 parts to data.
The data itself (1's, 0's).
The pointer to where that data is saved.
The pointer will always be on the cache so you wont have a pointer to it, unless you make one.

If you want to change or access the data then edit the data itself.
If you want to let another function change or access the data, you need to tell that function where the data is. So pass a pointer. Then that function will edit the data itself (where the pointer points to)

Inno, Im just spit ballin here

For example blending movement throgh 3d-space, aka for x-y-z speeds of a character.

>blending movement
Is this any different than moving character from (0, 0, 0) to (0, 0, 1).
Its called a translation. It a math term.

>C
But I like my strings,bools,classes and paradigm options.
I think C added modern pointers though.

Z speed? Like falling?

Is it a walking biped type thing?

I am starting to realize that I probably don't play enough conventional RPGs to make a game with good RPG combat. Right now it just feels like I added a useless menu to roguelike combat. Maybe once I add more skills and items it will help? (´・ω・`)

He's just memeing.
You can use whatever the fuck you're comfortable with using. Use Python, use Lua, whatever man, just make game, that's all that matters.

Blending in UE4 refers to blending between animations, who's the fool now?

Imagine a something that requires aiming its thrusters differently for all 6 direction, like a a guy with a 4 nozzled jetpack. Point is I can't "trick" it easily.

For most player, roguelike only lack of menus, so let's be clear: that's a big plus. I'd rather play just a roguelike with a in-fight-menu system than a rpg.

Why is every indie dev making a fucking roguelite? Make something original.

I like this!

Whats the point of making something original?

I'm not intending to make a roguelike though, just to use that style of control/event system since I don't like the regular rpg overworld to battle transitions.

Spoopy has that kind of enemy but got bullied out of here yesterday, he posted his mail ages ago if you want to go archive digging

They're not, ya cunt.

What's your opinion on FPS roguelites?

Pictures would help

Why are you so obsessed with him?
You know thats literally why Hoppo left right?
shit

Haven't played any.

Haven't played any

>Why is every indie dev making a fucking roguelite?
They are fun
They are easy to make
They are easy and fast to test
Has a lot of focus on gameplay rather than a background and graphics
>Make something original
That would require more effort and more time. Something they aren't willing to spend.

Good FPS games are about weapon and level design, randomisation doesn't suit them at all.

>someone literally just reskinned the kirby mini-game with pixel shit and is selling it for a dollar
I fucking hate indie game "devs".

Im just trying to help
As sarcastically as possible.
Why dont you give more information so we dont need to play 20 questions?

Delver is pretty darn fun.

I'm not sure what a roguelite even is. It seems to be used to describe games with death penalty and random levels but I don't think that is enough to be a genre.

>Why are you
First time posting his name though.

Its still in its concept stages so have none i'm afraid and the drawings would be hard 2 do.

But essentially, you can for example embed 3 dimension in 2 in ue4 by having one axis be "direction" going from -180 to 180 and then have the other dimension be speed.

The problem is how can I also embeed ANOTHER direction into it, so that the enemy blends between 6 + animations depending on its current movement vector?

A methodology in which game design is replaced with skinner box elements.

accurate

I wish I thought of that tbqh

Roguelites from my understanding typically take out the RPG system of rogue, nethack or similar games, and instead only implement the randomization and perma death elements. Hence the "lite".

>First time posting his name though.
Well don't do it anymore. Less talk about devs and more talk about games.

don't be a hack lad

That's one of the few things that differentiates a roguelike and an RPG.
Roguelike combat is non-modal, it takes place in the same mode as the rest of the game. RPGs have separate overworld and battle modes.

Perma-death and procedural generation are pretty much the only other things that differentiates a roguelike from an RPG.

If you use hand made levels instead of procedural generation, and you have a focus on story like most RPGs, then that should differentiate it enough that it wont seem like a roguelike.

You explained the wrong shit, i dont care about what backwards ass "embedding" your trying to do.
Are you even dealing with 3d modeling?
Because your just trying to apply animation.
Learn how bones and animation matricies work. Then you need to know the correct shader to use to apply the matricies.

>skinner box elements
>roguelikes roguelites

you literally don't know what a skinner box is. skinner boxes are devices which train you to do something for an artificial incentive. how are roguelikes skinner boxes? what is the player trained to do over and over again? the simple fact the people like to experience random elements is not enough to call it a skinner box.

>didn't even change the proportions for luggy and wario

What's the name of that game where you draw vertical lines, then add horizontal lines to join the vertical ones, then pick one of the vertical lines and traverse it and when you meet an horizontal line, you traverse that too etc until you reach the end? looks kind of like this

| | |
|__| |
| |__|
| | |
O X X

Do you have your Whooper?

It's hard to give decent advice without really knowing the situation, but you could blend between two 2D blendspaces.

One handles lateral movement, the other upwards and downwards.
Then you have variable(s) based on your rotation which controls the strength of each respective blendspace.
So for example when you're going up, the second blendspace has prominence, and gradually loses it as you go left.

Shit. The formatting fucked it up.

>If you use hand made levels instead of procedural generation, and you have a focus on story like most RPGs, then that should differentiate it enough that it wont seem like a roguelike.
Thanks for your reassurance. I just hope I can make the combat still interesting and fun. I'm considering adding some kind of dodging which might go well with trying to avoid getting surrounded. I guess first I should frontload testing out some more story features and then continue based on what works well with that.

Working on some boss attacks for the battle.
Also need to texture stuff.

Bullets are probably too quick for a fair battle.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMhqnQcFhx4

If you can't help you can just be quiet you know. I know how to blend these manually, which is painstakingly slow and tedious, which if you knew anything about what I was talking about you'd know.

This is the easiest one that i've come ups with so far, with 3 2d blendspaces. One when moving on a plane, one for when going upwards and one going downwards, and then blending between those using the z vector. Thanks for trying to help man.

When should you choose a true top-down 2D view (hotline miami) compared to a top-down side perspective with only one animated side that most indie games like to do now (nuclear throne, enter the gungeon, etc)? Is it just an aesthetic decision?

Ghost leg or ladder lottery.

I don't think you need 3x2D, the upwards and downwards can be done with a 1D, then a 2D one for on a plane.

No.

Thanks. I was thinking of using it as a microgame in an RPG

Sadly that fucks the animations right overor rather makes them look to unatural for my taste no matter how much i tweak it, same thing happens if you don't have enough nodes in the blendspaces

Heh, that enemy/boss introduction reminded me of the first boss from SNES Star Fox.

Lookin' neat so far.

No.

what a fags

Tried to make another one.

84 posts. 84 fucking posts, and 3 progress posts.

Seriously, fuck you AGDG. You are complete garbage compared to a couple years ago.

What's the best control system for a top down space shooter?
For now I was thinking of doing tank controls. What do you think?

Nigger I dont even have a fan Yet
Im getting better

>he said, while not posting progress

currently im programming for my job, i might do something later

chum do you have any idea what time it is
i'm wrapping my brain around a dynamic 2d class array to hold tiles on a map
this shit can wait til tomorrow its already midnight

>go to doctor
>he tells me that I've got stomach cancer
>the very second he finishes his sentence, I yell WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU FIX IT ALREADY, I DON'T WANT A DIAGNOSIS

Are you dumb, user?

I think I'm happy to leave this MiG like this now till I get better at Modelling and Texturing.

>he added, while still not posting progress

finally finished all levels of world 3

We didn't have multiple 750+ post threads per day, either. Theres probably the same amount of progress, its just theres tons more socialposting that dilutes it.

>trees are the only model that can possibly model human conversation

I have no progress to post
Just a bunch of doodles to learn to art
I drew something that didnt make me want to kill myself, that something?

>chum do you have any idea what time it is

are you somehow so underaged that you don't know what time zones are?

if you're not gamedevving, why are you even in the thread. go to sleep

the plane's looking good, but one thing that always irks me about flight sims is that the terrain looks uninteresting. not just yours, but the genre in general.

is that just how the ground looks from that elevation?

Full movement with normal WASD movement, you're in space, there's no resistance, ships can move in any direction as long as they have thrusters to move in that direction.

iterations?