/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

/sthg/ #475 - Wasted Life edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/DevelopmentsRecent Releases

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oXWMt4vkQ80
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Clean slate, /sthg/. Let's talk about something positive. Do you prefer speed, flight, swim, or power chao?

sonic advance 2 should be the model for future sonic gameplay

Season 3 of Sonic X was fucking retarded.

>adapt our hot new game, sonic heroes? nah man, faggot plants from outer space

Previews please?

Flight. They end up looking like Nights a bit.

Sonic Advance 2 is the only game in the franchise where "hold right to win" and "screen too small" are legitimate complaints and not memes.

little buddy, every time sonic X tried to adapt a game they fucked it up in some of the dumbest ways you could imagine

Does that include being made by DiMPS? If so, fuck that.

fuck no. just 2d, plenty of characters, no boost button, and flesh out movesets with emphasis on building and maintaining speed while traversing a level

screen too small yeah, hold right to win nah

Never played the Advance games.

play Advance 2 with an open mind.

i mean i'm not gonna defend Techno Base Zone as stellar level design but the game is more fun than the Rush series and child-me missed out because I couldn't get past that it "was different" from the genesis (and advance 1's) gameplay.

You should give them a try. SA1 kicked things off and is pretty solid, and SA2 introduced Cream and midair tricks to change momentum off of stage gimmicks. SA3 is unique in that it used Knuckles' Chaotix buddy mechanic, which made it a love-or-hate title for most.

>the game is more fun than the Rush series
Explain

the bigger problem with advance 3 wasn't the chaotix mechanic being built upon so much as it was how awfully cramped the level design was

This guy knows what's up.

I've enjoyed all of the Dimps GBA and DS games, but all of them have fatal flaws keeping them from being outstanding. A game comprised of the best parts of all 6 of those games (not including Battle for obvious reasons) would be outstanding.

Of course, Sega would just give them 6 months and a literal shoestring as their budget, so it'd end up being the worst parts of each game.

I'm so sad Twitchanon is dead.

what a shitty OP image

Imagine if sega said, let's put 5 years into a game, and make it a different kind of 3d platformer.

>no rollercoaster tracks that you're tied to
>massive hilly levels
>when you hop onto a platform and it starts moving fast, if you leap off, you conserve your momentum
>base level design off of high speed and momentum

There aren't any good high-speed type of 3d platformers, someone should really take SA2 Sonic levels' gameplay to its logical extreme, and improve upon it to make it fun and awesome.

Did anyone manage to get to his stream even?

And yet so appropriate.

i don't actually know if that's easy to put into words

my first inclination would be to mention how ugly Rush is but that's not really a factor in how fun the game /plays/.

let's just say i played Rush through twice but every month or so i'll open Advance 2 up on an emulator and zoom through a few acts in the middle of the night before bed.

and unlike Sonic Rush & Rush Adventure which has a pair of probably the worst Super Stages in the series, True Area 53 is just a joy to play. Super Stages should aspire to have light bullet hell elements dialed up past what TA53 had, even.

Sonic Advance 2's biggest flaw is how much worse than Sonic everyone not named Amy is

Sonic's ->-> unspin air dash needs to be a mandatory staple in everyone's moveset simply because of just how satisfying it is to trade hurtbox for a bit of forward momentum.

characters like Tails, Knuckles, and Cream need variations on their 'standard' air mobility actions that are actually conducive to going fast, as all three of those completely neuter your speed.

Yugioh tomato kid?

I just want a Sonic Advance 1 style game. Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles playable. 2D level design.
Sonic has boost.
Tails can fly.
Amy does her hammer acrobatics.
Knuckles can glide.
HD graphics, multiple paths, lots of colorful zones.
Hell, the story can be, "Eggman's kidnapping animals, stop the bastard" for all I care.
Throw in Blaze, Shadow, Cream, the whole Runners cast if you want.
Shame it won't happen.

Don't even think he managed to get it up, checked the directory for Sonic Battle as soon as he posted it and there was nothing.

Yep. He hungers for Yuzu. And comic previews.

I thought the Rush Adventure special stages were great. Racing against a rival was fun and relatively original for a special stage idea.

Since there is like 5 Yuzus does that mean there's also 5 comic previews?

Not the Special Stages.

The Super Sonic & Burning Blaze Stages.

Meme Adventure?

Oh right.

Nah, those were good too.

You know the biggest problem about sonic 3's Super Sonic stage was that it was just way too fast. They made sure to fix that 'problem' all right...

Damnit user, I was free from this place for like 10 minutes and you just had to bring it back.

That looks so absurd it might actually wrap around back to enjoyable.

video games repainted are hilarious, check some out sometime

Sorry /StHG/ I am the Streamer from the previous thread that is trying to get Sonic Battle working. Technical Difficulties on my Xbox 360 Controller thinking its P2. Had to restart my PC to make it go back to default P1.

Anyone here still up for watching?

If you can actually get it up this time

I thought Sega was gonna announce a new Sonic thing at E3
Was I mistaken?

Yes

1st attempt. I am new to Streaming emulators. Forgive me.

kinda looks like a pose Super Bump would make

Thought you died, will check the stream out after a quick shower. Here's to no fuck ups and have fun, Battle is pretty enjoyable.

I honestly thought that's who it was at first

It be up, can confirm as the only viewer

Where's the stream?

It's actually up this time. Just search up Sonic Battle.

t"witch.tv/luckwehsleven

Found it

'nother guy. thanks for the link!

Thunderbolts rain from above!

Sticks is cute! CUTE!

I'm fine with that

What else came out of Boom that was good?

Amy's Boom outfit is pretty good

All you would need to do to make an amazing platformer would be to do something somewhere between Sonic Robo Blast and the intro to Sonic CD in terms of feel.

>sonic robo blast
>representing literally anything good about sonic

sTOP

A chance for the mainline games to have hints of seriousness in them. This is why Boom was created, you know. To divide the fanbase between the regular series and Boom. The fans of Sonic's more comedic storylines can migrate to Boom, while the fans of more serious storylines can stay with the main games.

I think it had some decent ideas in terms of level design, disregarding everything else. A Sonic game that had more open levels and a focus on getting to a given point rather than just following the rollercoaster would be interesting, imo.

Now if only anything you said was actually getting borne up by the games.

Can you repeat that?

the writing is spot on.

Eh it was still fun to play, least I thought so anyways

if you were writing a semi-serious semi-fun Sonic setting, how would you explain/justify Knuckles' ability to glide, since he's not really physically endowed in any way to slow his descent?

Would you do what Sonic X did and kinda stray away from him doing it too often though in that case it may have just been because of the fact that only Sonic was allowed to spin jump and really do anything of value in a fight scene? Or would you go the Sonic OVA route and give him Dragon Ball-level flight abilities you could always say he just has that power from exposure to the chaos emeralds and shit being a part of his culture?

He can glide by trapping the wind under his dreadlocks. However, if we're making it more realistic, then it could just be a thing only Echidnas can do.

Ehh. The show had some good moments but the comics and game were kinda shit

I agree about the game but not the comics, those were a fun read.

>3 out of 4 previews for the Unleased finale
>not even the slightest teasing of Dark Gaia

>KERRRR
>TROLOLOL
>bitch Amy and full-retard Knuckles
The art wasn't anything great either except when Evan and Skelly were pencilling.

Knuckles is pretty retarded in the cartoon already user

So what do you think Ian will do once he's finished retelling Unleashed and Lost World?

Pretty sure he's going to go back and flesh out all the locations and characters we had to breeze through on the first go-around.

>and Lost World
If he does Lost World right after Unleashed I'm dropping my sub. I'm tired of the comic being a game adaptation.

am i the only one who was hoping Ian wouldn't be involved with Sonic Mega Drive

i doubt he's doing Lost World right after Unleashed because
is something he's talked about doing on numerous occasions once Unleashed was done, and the Lost World plot seed was planted in a similar fashion to all fo the other plot seeds have been set up thus far

You're probably in the wrong franchise, user.

You know I wouldn't be surprised that if there's a little arc between Unleashed and Lost World people will bitch about filler. Because apparently no one knows that sometimes you need some down time in the story between big arcs, to let things calm down before revving things back up again.

Clearly I'm not because the majority of the comic has not been pure adaptation of the games and implying so makes you look dumb.

Probably.

today is my birthday! thank you for reading my blog!

>mfw older than sonic

Subscribed and upboated
Happy Birthday

forgot image.

Sally
with a gun.

Sally with G.U.N?

youtube.com/watch?v=oXWMt4vkQ80

is it warm?

Sally IS A GUN!

Like Shadow?

Yeah and look how shitty it was for doing so.

But the best stories of the comic have barely anything to do with the games most of the time, sans stuff like Champions

Considering the golden age of the comics was during a period of time where the plots had almost nothing to with any of the games, you're wrong and forever will be wrong.

unleashed mega-arc has been meandering and awful so maybe let's not pretend everything's better this way

Best part of Unleashed arc was Chun-nan being a good excuse to bring CS back.

You know..

I wonder how they will adapt Generations to the Comic.

It already happened in-universe. Really, the only games that haven't happened yet in this universe are Unleashed (Which is almost done) and Lost World