Should I major in finance, supply chain management, or marketing?

Should I major in finance, supply chain management, or marketing?

Incoming college freshman here, haven't started school yet. Declared political science major because I want to go to law school but in case I don't want to do that, I want a degree that's marketable.

Not that big of a fan of math. I mean I never failed math but it's not really my thing. If I took a basic math course in college though it wouldn't be the end of the world. How much math is really involved in a major like finance? I'm a creative person and I do well in group projects. What's the best path for me desu?

Political science is shit for law. As for your choices, business management is better, standard business degrees are best. You'll hate marketing because under a master's it's basically sales, finance is boring as shit and limited. Supply chain management is specific, try to get into standard business management.

Don't go political science. Get a business degree and go to law with that. MBA+Juris doctorate is really saught out for by major employers. Worst case scenario is that you stop at your MBA. My neighbor has a dual MBA and law degree and he makes well over 200k a year.

You can also stop at your bachelor's of business and still have a marketable degree. Again, ignore marketing, and only go finance if it's your plan to go all the way through with it.

If you're in college you're already majoring in cuckoldry by default, only way to switch out is to leave and start your own business.

What are my career prospects if I don't get a JD and just have a degree in "Management and Leadership" or "Interdisciplinary Business Management"? I hear no one hires managers right out of college, what could I market myself as if I majored as such?

poly sci is pretty standard for law, won't help, but won't hurt
truth is major really doesn't matter for LS, as long as you keep your GPA high (unless you want to do patent/IP)
JD/MBA vs regular JD is an extra year at most schools (with some exceptions; columbia has a 3 year JD/MBA, and some schools have accelerated JD, though the only decent one, northwestern, shut that program down recently), not worth the extra time/money for most imho unless you plan on jumping to the business side

also, 200k is good, but that's not the mba
some firms used to offer 50k bonus to jd/mba but i don't think that's so common anymore, + you spend more than 50k in tuition and opportunity cost

i majored in music at just about the lowest ranked state school in my state, but i went to a good law school for a plain JD and will be at around 200k starting salary when i grad next year

True, nobody hires management without experience. Start working part time if you can, 6 months of assistant manager experience can help you snag lower level management jobs.

Why can't you get into general business degree paths?

It is the MBA, and out here the cost of living is low, so 200k here goes a long way. An extra year is nothing if you already have a business degree and want to reap the benefits, but if your school charges 50k/yr for its graduate program I'd say just get your MBA. Attorneys have among the lowest job satisfaction in the nation, and most don't make north of 50k salary. A general MBA and 2 years journeyman management experience can set you up for a great career.

My school (Miami University) doesn't offer general it seems. The school of business here is really hyped up, for some reason there are only specializations.

On an unrelated note:

How difficult is an accounting major? Is it all math? My school is a target school for Big Four accounting firms etc,.

Ohio Miami University? Ehhhhh. Don't worry, it's still an okay school. Just go with leadership and management.

if can only speak to OP's prospects as a lawyer
if OP wants to practice some variation of "corporate law" as a career, the MBA will make 0 difference salary-wise
insofar as the associate track is concerned, he'll be paid lockstep, and ~200k is very much an average starting salary for plain JDs in many markets
if OP is more interested in business, and not practicing law, i say just get an MBA and skip the JD, but that's not my area of expertise

also it occurs to me
lest anyone thinks i'm telling OP to go to law school, in NO way am i advocating a JD over an MBA
low job satisfaction and low median salary as mentioned earlier itt, chronic problem in legal community
imo you generally shouldn't go to law school under ANY circumstances unless you're absolutely sure you want a career in law
there's a decently reliable track at a select few law schools, but make no mistake about it, 80% of students getting a JD to make money will get wrecked

Depends; pick really the thing you like the most; since that's effectively the best way of making money.

your neighbour is probably a 45 year old father. I'd be surprised if he wasnt making 200k a year

how old will you be when you graduate? have you got a job lined up from your internship?

He's in his mid 50s and gay with no children.

You should skip that, invest in kneepads and earn up a good starting capital. Learn how to day trade, and buy your yacht within a week.

Why don't we have a separate board for 9-5 cubicle cucks? This is Veeky Forums, as in business, as in, not trading time for money. Here's a few board names I'll pitch to get the ball rolling.

>/race2grave/
>/cuckxtreme/
>/925/

In a similar boat
Right now I finished my sophomore year and I'm majoring in Supply/Value Chain management.. I am currently taking off 6 months because I have an international co-op at a Global 500 company and then when I return to the US (Dec) I will have another internship at a Fortune 500 company before going back to school next August
Recently though I have been thinking about switching majors to Finance but because I go to school in the south and have 0 connections in the finance network there's no way I'd get a good job/internship in IB or Consulting
So is it possible to major in Supply chain mngmt and then go to B school and work in finance?
My school is also top 5-10 in Accounting and people regularly get internships form the Big 4, could I major in Acc (or dual in Acc/Supply chain) and then go to B school and switch into Finance down the road?

Then invest in kneepads.

I don't want to make another thread but I'm also a freshman but I'm doing Economics should I double major or should I stick to the B.S?

Depends on your goals. If you want to do a phd in econ (this isnt usually a good idea) then a double major in math is pretty necessary. If you want to get into data science, econ+cs is god tier. If you just want a job as an analyst or something, just a BS and some finance classes on the side is fine.

Hey man just graduated with a finance degree from Miami.. Wish I chose supply. I make a decent amount but my friends in supply make way more and are in better companies

Also join a frat no lie.. Miami university has the best connections in the Midwest.. Start networking.. Had 2.1 GPA but still got a great job because of my networking

What is supply even? If you don't mind me asking. The description on the website is very vague. I just wanna employ my creative skills but not be bogged down with math and boring classes.

Beta actually started there and the Alpha chapter is about to recolonize

>I make a decent amount but my friends in supply make way more and are in better companies
>Had 2.1 GPA

hmmm I wonder why

True, get your point. But I got a job that said 3.5 above and only on their website.. It was all about getting the interview.. They didn't even ask for my GPA until the 5th round

Creative skills. Yeah supply is not for you. Finance can be creative and the math isn't that hard.. If you want to take the easy route you can go marketing. However, the job market is flooded with chicks and even with better grades they will get the job over you... I'll be back for career fair working a booth but my advice is don't worry about your major just yet. just keep asking questions on campus with older guys and teachers... And my originally point man. Join a frat and befriend everyone. Find the richest kids and wait for dads weekends and go work.. Connections are huge in the business world

Finance/CS here.

>How much math is in finance course
Depends on the uni. I had a friend at our top business uni do calculus (derivatives and integration) in first semester economics, our economics majors at my uni don't ever do derivatives (im talking about the calculus derivatives, not the financial derivatives).

Rule of thumb, the better the uni is for finance, the more math it will have.

If you go to a mid tier, like myself, expect to just have to do a fair bit of algebra. There's a fair chunk of it, it's not particularly hard, there's just alot of it. And I never had to do calculus or anything in my finance degree. Maybe I'm a bit bias because I had to do actual math in CS so it's not overwhelming for me like it is to other students.

There are plenty of jobs in finance that don't require much math at all. It's basically using formulas to guide a client in a certain direction.

"Well the EAC of this purchase is lower despite it lasting a shorter amount of time, but, if we take in to consideration resale value the other purchase might be better".