/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Friday Afternoon Edition

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for shitpost

waifus

OOP is best paradigm

Fourth for salt your fucking hash

Thank you for posting best girl.

>if you have ideas for scenarios, post them
Mostly interested in high amount of active objects and/or collisions

does that mean use a different seed for every hash or something else

Any good and simple tutorial for a breakout in gamemaker? im stuck with what happens with the ball and the bar after the ball respawns again, it just moves as it wants and i can't respawn the bar to it's start location like i do with the ball

How do I make sand look like sand?

I'm fucking slow with adding stuff.

xth for do not reply to shitposters.
ignore shitposters.
report shitposters.

Why, I'm not using hashing for anything security related

is he urinating in the sand?
Also is this the game with the circle earth?

How are you handling restarting exactly?

Make it solid white with black noise

Is he melting the sand by pissing on it?

yep solid is the way to go your game sounds like its out of control

Right now the only restarting i got is the ball, wich respawns when touches the lower part of the screen. What i wanna do is make it so when that happens the bar also respawns.

>Is he melting the sand by pissing on it?
>is he urinating in the sand?
... fuck
No he's using a long arm.

>Also is this the game with the circle earth?
Yes

>
I'll try

Finished the map, it will now only show tiles as you discover them.

Yeah it is, i don't fucking know what to do or what im doing anymore, just started working in it again after some weeks.

You are exempt

I want to make a 2D game and I have absolutely no idea what to make

Please give me non-meme ideas. It can be a cliche

start with a ping pong, then a breakout and so on, start with the basics and level up.

ragdolls are still stupid

I laughed

i dig it

I know how to code user, it's not my first time. I just don't know what to make

I used to post a lot here a few months ago, but I gave up on this game

Make it a feature. Player is so strong he turns people into goop.

Animation system done. Just need to fix some issues with offsets and what not (the arm is a separate sprite to allow smoother transitions to slashing animations). Then it's onto coding a way to generate collision maps.

Oh hey, I remember you. Since you've already done some work on patroling stuff, why not make some sorta stealth game?

Maybe make it top-down so it doesn't feel like working on the same thing as much.

???

Missingno?

I love how he slaps their asses and they die

Perfect.

Hi /agdg/.
I have non-gaming non-graphical intermediate programming experience.
How long would it take me to make something like picrelated in OpenGL/Vulkan for Android?

GOTY

OpenGL: several months
Vulkan: several years

>vulkan
>android

Well, that's gonna depend on how much experience you have and how you're going to go about graphics.

>OpenGL
A few weeks, it'll take you longer to make all the assets
>Vulkan
Good fucking luck with that, you have no hope if you don't even already know GL and GPUs inside out.

did two tests on my garbage hardware

1) how many 32x32 sprites moving at constant speed with 60 FPS
GM: 4500-5000
Godot: 2500
C++/SFML: 10000

2) how fast does it take to iterate a while loop 1000000 times (tests conducted 3 times, this is arithmetic mean)
GM: 225ms
Godot: 200ms
C++: 3ms

not really something you should take into consideration when choosing an engine
C++ has virtually everything and is a speed demon, but takes months to set up a project when working solo
GM has room editor, easy scripting language and most of predefined and useful data structures ready
Godot has this + ability to create own data structures with ease, and brazillion of UI elements ready to go

The only struggle is learning openGL, the assets are simple, the movement is not complex.
You just need to learn rendering pipeline.
I think i could make that in a week because i already have openGL code to start from.

So Vulkan was a meme all along?
Who could have thought.

Imagine making a bangai-o game that wouldn't start slowing down intentionally when the screen is filled with missiles, explosions and other juicy things.

It apparently has a lot of great features and performance improvements, its just not well known or widespread. Give it a few years.

>So Vulkan was a meme all along?
It's not a meme for real devs.
It's beyond a meme for anyone on AGDG.

Years.
Or you could choose an engine that exports to Android and supports 3D, and make the game within a couple months instead.

I sure remember it being a very loud meme back around march, lots of hype here and on /g/.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on Godot, but I'll stick to GM in the meantime

>very loud
Only because of 3 nodevs that think they can make a C Vulkan engine. They don't even make games.

Because we will enjoy the performance benefits when real devs/library devs switch to vulkan

so you're taking shitposting of community that doesn't know the problems vulkan's solving as a truth? stellar

by that logic your post is bullshit

yes, because everything is posted by the same person

I chuckled.

How the shit do I get a gf like the one in OP's pic?

Should I use drag and drop i gamemaker or just use programming for everything

Programming, dragondrop will only hinder and limit you in the long run.

No spacegress, no hope.

>you have to be the same person to be part of the same community

Who else is really hyped to see what will come out of AGDG collabs?

>what will come out of AGDG collabs?
Nothing?

Very unlikely

If I was making a garden sim, and allowed the player to plant things anywhere on the ground, how would I implement saving using GM:S?

How can you tell when a fellow dev just innocently wants to hear your cool game ideas vs. an uncreative vulture trying to snipe your valuable, unique ideas?

You can't.

Then how the fuck am I supposed to share my ideas safely so that they'll know my creativity is the real deal?

Truly creative people have no fear of having their ideas stolen because they can simply come up with a better idea later

back to game dev after a long break, played settlers of catan for the first time with some friends a few weeks ago and thought it would be fun to make

never made a grid of hexagons before so i've got some learning to do

take comfort in the fact that most uncreative vultures are nodevs, and even if they were to develop it, it would be a mobile game tier trash rendition of a game

is unity still the best engine if i just want to make prototypes and never actually sell anything? haven't done gamedev in a while

Not true. Nice try, vulture.

>not true
Proof?

For 3D, yes.
For 2D, absolutely not.

No one has a screen smaller than 1024x720, right? That's the smallest resolution I can support in my game.

>not supporting CRT tvs
kek

If it's 64-bit only, then you probably should be good to go.

No. Godot is a lot better for 2D games. If you're looking to prototype 3D games Godot can do that too.
If you want to go into a big full 3D game UE4 might be better though.

>not supporting every resolution

64 bit only.
DO NOT SUPPORT LUDDITES.

Splatterhouse

what do you guys mean by 64bit only?

>any of the rodent brigade
>best anything

Your release executable.
Honestly it doesn't matter and really your game should be scalable at any resolution, poorfags or not.

it's not hard, six triangles from a hexagon

The UI starts to get too tight at anything below 1024x720, it can scale to anything above that though.

redblobgames.com/grids/hexagons/

you can also use a 3d coordinate system in order to get a nice straightforward value to play with for movement and such

Presumably any such person would be in the 'other' category, so you are AT MOST missing 2%

Next enemy modeled, didn't have time for animations though. Will be gone for 5 days due to trip to England, so I'm not actually dead on the outside yet, just away from the computer.

Thanks to the guy who suggested using a Mosquito as inspiration! Hope the abdomen don't trigger to many people, me and P̶̢̰̓͆t̵̲͕̅͛r̸͚͈̀͠a̴͍̗̓͝r̴̨͔̎̚k̵͉͕̈́͆i̸̹̩͋̚ơ̵̢̺͝

And for prototyping games like FFT or Tactics Ogre would you go with unity or something else user?

Well as long as nothings game breaking that's fine then.
also

If the game only runs on 64bit machines (ie. not some WinXP toaster), I'd probably expect them to at least support 720p by today. Of course, there are always outliers and some cheapo machines, such as some dirt cheap laptops. At work I've come across systems that are running Win95 and use some specialized software that they can't replace for a reason or another.

Just look up the average specs that Steam releases every now and then, and decide for yourself what you're willing to (or can) support.

Why the fuck do I always forget image I'm really not made out to be a dev.

yeah i figured out this much already, i had to hardcode it but the other resource shared answered some of the questions i had about how this was going to work
this is really useful, thank you

thought it was a moose with helicopter antlers before it started turning.
p.cool though

Is it's skull really supposed to be split in two?

game dev was a mistake

indie game dev*

*happy accident