Look who came out of their room

>look who came out of their room
>yep, hes quite the reader!
>tell us about the Napoleonic wars, user!

Well, I'm really more of a pre Revolutionary buff.

Would you like to hear about the Treaty of Verdun instead?

I'm a 25 year old man and I have not read a book since high school.

Shut the fuck up, mom! GOD, you're so embarrassing
Where the fuck are the cheetos and mountain dew I told you to bring?

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

You should actually literally kill yourself

I'm being patronized by that fucking ginger?

I don't right well think so

>shut up mom, give me my tendies reeeeeee

so embarrassing

I don't know a ton about it, but basically France beat everybody until Napoopan overextended in Russia and the Russians proceeded to burn every single usable crop and possibly animal they couldn't carry so pretty much the entire army starved to death or froze to death in the retreat when they realized they were about to starve to death and winter was coming.

And then they finally got some real food and a bunch more dudes died because eating a lot after being literally starving can kill you.
So then the British finally could beat the French since 90% of their army died to the Russian environment and another 1% to actual Russians, so Napoleon got banished.
And then he came back from exile because the island had boats and tried to make France great again but committed a terrible tactical blunder by fighting an army much larger than his and the British helped but mostly the Germans beat him, but the British claimed all the credit. And then they exiled him to an island that didn't have ships and he died alone and sad because he couldn't prevent modern France from becoming a liberal shithole that's literally killing itself just like the rest of Europe by being tolerant to people who don't understand that just because someone has an opposing viewpoint doesn't mean you have to kill them.

literally how and why are you here

I was never big on reading even when I was a kid. The only noticeable consequence of not having read books as often as others is that I am a pretty slow reader. However, I've been called pretty smart by some people who read plenty more than me so at least I don't think I am retarded. Maybe I'd be more motivated to read things I'm interested in, like philosophical texts, if the main takeaway points weren't constantly spoiled for me in discussions anyway. Why read Marx, for instance, when people have explained his ideas to me countless times?

he's 90% of this board's userbase

>mfw sophists are advocating writing near me

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>halfway through
>aunt and uncle start eating
>look at eachother and smile/laugh

That was the most hopelessly retarded post I've read so far. And I've been on Veeky Forums since 2009.

THE DISGUSTING ANGLO MENACE AND HIS INFLUENCE MUST BE DRIVEN FROM THE CONTINENT AT ALL COSTS.

LIBERTE EGALITE FRATERNITE

Then why the fuck would they ask me to talk about it if they aren't going to listen?

>milf on the left
wew lad

because theyre normies lad

I don't need to prove anything to you. Act smug and elitist all you want because you filled your head up with Harry Potter books, if you feel your a better, more cultured person for it.

SHUT THE FUCK UP AUNT DEBBIE YOU FUCKING PLEB! WOULD IT KILL YOU AND UNCLE TED TO STOP CONSUMING YOUR BREAD AND CIRCUSES FOR FIVE GODDAMN SECONDS? EXCUSE ME FOR THINKING I COULD EXPOSE YOU STUPID PEASANTS TO SOME HIGH FUCKING CULTURE FOR ONCE, NEXT TIME I'LL JUST MAKE SOME FUCKING FART NOISES! ENJOY THAT SLOP YOUR BETTERS DEIGN TO SPOON FEED YOU, YOU FUCKING LOW BROW SWINE!

What an incredibly rude human being

This is why I stay in my room

Yeah i read a lot don't you know what /pol/ is you cuck? Napoleon was a literal liberal cuck and doomed the white race he even lost to fucking communist slavshit races he got literally cucked. No i don't read books they're written by cuck jews do distort the truth only i know. The jews in britain only waited to destroy napoleon after he doomed the white race by destroying germany forever.

Damn this hits close to home.

>hey user you like history right? Tell us about why Hitler did X and why the American Revolution...and why Kennedy...something...and did the Romans really...

Goddamn I have one particular period of history that I know anything about beyond the surface details just because I like history doesn't mean I know everything about every historical event that ever happened jesus christ

*You're

Not that user, but you should really read more books.

>Why read Marx when others have explained it

So you can decide for yourself whether they're representing his material and arguments properly. Why do you think translations of the bible are so important? It's because it's inevitable things will be lost or changed in the text, or at least likely. It's better safe than sorry.

Reading books is vital to the healthy and functioning mind.
Knowledge is a magnifying glass, your perception changes based on what you know because you compare, analyze and make logical statements.
You would remain a cyclops if you don't look through the eye of philosophy and logic, being good in something is not enough, you have to recognize the importance of natural philosophy

you just KNOW

tfw close to no extended family, and the few of them rarely come over.

Are they just eating cheese with water?

staple food of the white devil

Pathetic, has it ever occured to you that books were written to express ideas? What can you make of takeway point if the only relationship you have with them is your daily routine?
You probably think that, somehow, you know enough to make up your mind without throughouly examining arguments by reading texts covering them. Maybe you think that discussion is sufficient, but it is the mark of regular, routine abiding people to think this and you have therefore virtually nothing to gain from them that you couldn't have figured out yourself. Seeing this, you think youre smart and everybody around you think theyre smart by having "smart discussions" about subjects they never could be bothered to study with a zest of passion. They claim youre smart because you stroke their ego in the same way they stroke yours, by indulging in an concert of cultivated ignorance.
Make that what you will, but you'll never understand arguments and facts even unless you start testing and working your mind off on them.

Dude most people don't read
It's helpless

Isn't oral tradition the main form to pass knowledge in human societies? We been doing that for millenias dude

>why read X when others have explained it to me

To form your own opinions and not have to rely on other peoples' interpretations? To actually understand the philosophy and not just the cliffnotes version?
If people could totally sum up their philosophies in a few concise sentences without losing anything in the process why would they write big treatises explaining the philosophy?

Fuck me, this is even more important in history than it is in most fields.

Kek

OP here. Yeah true, it would be mistaking to say reading is an end in and of itself. I think it's more a general solution for people like myself who don't have the perseverance to think for hours about a problem without indications and help.
Most stuff in life is very practical and can't be learned by just reading, but books and the written stuff in general are a great medium to disperse knowledge. Because of them, everyone who's interested in a subject can bother to confront themselves and their expectations of answers with somebody who really cared enough to spend hours and months trying to understand it.

>reading books when you can just read online articles and watch documentaries

fucking ludites

>going to move out of the house soon to Kansas
>have $35,000 saved up
>with rationing and minimization I can live for at least 2 years without any human contact just reading during the day and playing guitar at night

gonna be wonderful