/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

> Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HMhqnQcFhx4
drawabox.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first for making your own engine

Nth for taking an engine and using it for purposes it clearly wasn't meant for

So what's the status of all the games in that pic?

>fire up gamemaker
>browse Veeky Forums and listen to sega genesis songs for 4 hours while fantasizing about my game being finished instead of making it
Every time

Added a simple health bar and entities will flash red when hit.

Next working on a character text bubble / message thingy on the gui.

Then comes the bosses 2nd attack work which will hopefully involve some laser beams.

youtube.com/watch?v=HMhqnQcFhx4

Now that I have weapon/armor types, you now need the appropriate skill to equip the item. You can learn skills either from the trainer or the store, but only the trainer can teach you to be an expert/master in the skill.

Now you can pick objects up.

The unity stock particles are probably there to stay

Spaceship for my space game for space jam. What do you think? I'm trying to go for a low poly/low res texture style.

That looks fuckin' sweet. I love the intakes.
are they meant to look like you could put the AGDG logo in there

Ha, I didn't think about that.
Unfortunately it would be 3x3 pixel per letter, it's just too small to fit there.

I will put it somewhere in the game though.

What're you making with your good ol' tanks, user? You gonna have some sorta basic 2d tanker shooter?

When people animate combo moves for 3d models, do they animate each action separately and play the animations in a sequence or do they make a single long animation and then control how much of that animation is played?

That looks amazing.

What sort of game will this be? 3D puzzle, like that one game I forget the name of that was on steam and made in unreal?

Senshadou (from Girls und Panzer) game with mechanics similar to X-Com, hopefully.

Babymode progress: can now shoot the gun with z key

your walk cycle looks like he's doing a jig

Whatever happened to that one user who supposedly was going to make an update to that pic? He asked for everyone's main protag/OC for their game, but I don't ever remember the promised pic being posted. So did he just take our characters and patent/trademark them? Was he just trolling and now he's gonna sue us or demand money when we publish our finished game?

Dead. Like all the games in that pic.

nice quake 2 clone
tumblr?

she's excited about make game

Single stringed animation is more modular.
Ask Mayhem Dev when he's around how he does his system.

A miserable pile of pixels in 8 colors.

>pure colors

don't people hate meme pixels now? i remember people on greenlight being angry about this style of pixel art

What the fuck are "meme pixels"?

single blocky features.
1 "pixel" limbs.
etc

"lowres" pixel art usually has 1 pixel limbs

Tried with 2 pixel legs, looked weird as fuck. Does this mean I should stop making video games?

So I've been working on saving/loading, but I can't really show that in a webm. So here's an update on the main menu.

I made it so the characters play random animations every few seconds. Sometimes it looks like they're reacting to each other which is pretty neat.

I think I need to start settling on character names soon. So far some ideas I've had are:

Dude - Rad or Nick or Rick or Max
Girl - Mimoko or Ami or

>Does this mean I should stop making video games?
No, it means learn to actually draw so you can do regular pixel "art", or just regular drawn assets.

I'd go with Picks for the hand.

how to get me to drop your game.webm

That's pretty cringeworthy desu

And you still use the word "cringe" and ironic japanese, so I guess that makes two faggots.

Mimoko isn't a name used in Japan.

Momoko, which you might have been going for means peach, but since she's a sailor moon copy, I'd say going with something like Tsukiko (moon child) or just Tsuki (moon) is better.

my first pixel art, I call him jon.

That's the point.

No progress in Tumblr as of yet. Maybe some day.

>Made the holes in the ceiling have diagonal walls for less blocky look
>Still a few problems, apparently

>ironic japanese
where do you think you are baka

is he naked?

I know exactly where I am. This does not make you less of a faggot.

you got the pretentious indie attitude down perfectly
you're on your way to success
all the color-haired ladies will be flocking to you if you continue down this path

Nothing ironic about it you god-awful normie.

I'm not getting off your board. You'll have to live with it.

yes but he has a sword and he smokes, how do you guys post sprites so big? should I work on bigger canvas and then make it smaller?

normies go home

>You made that in one fucking day
>tfw I can't even get simple 3d platforming working
Jesus Christ.

sorry quoted myself instead of you

pls, it was mostly just copying existing code from other parts of the level building script and then hacking it together.

u can do it

i believe in you

:^)

Zoom in with your editor, take a screenshot, paste it in a new canvas/file and crop+save it.

Prepare for this to be the new AGDG m'lady meme

I upscale them in gimp before posting

Well she's actually meant to be from a bootleg rip off of Sailor Moon, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a real/fitting japanese name (it might even be better if it was like a misspelled version of Tsuki(ko)).

Thanks for the info though, it helps.

Has cactus ever made an actually good game?

You really made this in one day
wow

Remember, players LOVE super involved displays to make them feel like they're getting a lot done.

Yes

Please stop.
Retards don't umderstamd sarcasm.

This is f-fake. r-right?

Ah, the elusive bascinet-cum-fedora

Not gonna lie
Disgaeas Big numbers do make me feel good

For a non-MMO that's an impressive amount of bullshit crammed onto the screen.

But this is to go a level beyond.

Don't kid yourself, these little numbers are the real reason you play.

Hnnnngh

I'd hit it, I'd hit it S times

Started adding some details to the map, I'm suddenly so envious of games that have a huge library of textures to use, I might start taking some public domain ones to speed shit up.

It's also about time I started placing enemies and such on the map too

This is addons, not the base game.

Can't blame the game for the user.

you can blame the game for enabling it

every user option is a failure of design

Kill yourself.

It goes beyond enabling- the game practically demands it at a certain level.

Granted, WoW has gotten easy to the point where you don't really need to know what's going on most of the time.

is baby mad that he has to let the player make the game for him?

The funny thing is that, prior to the ability downsizing in draenor, if you to raid at a high level with WoW, you 100% needed all of that shit to be effective, especially as a tank or healer. The only thing I would fault the player on is having his dps meter and player frames too large and that he's not using his right hand side bars. All the individual bits and pieces are useful and necessary.

So what exactly belongs in this thread? I was recently brought onto an FPS mod project to do UI work, and I'm definitely an amateur, but this thread seems to be about people who actually make their whole game from start to finish, and usually with pixel art.

You needed the stuff but it doesn't mean you had to have it all randomly all over the screen.

I had a set up where I still saw 80% of the screen with all my addons as a healer.

Tell me, does learning how to draw really help in creating texture and sprites for games?

I can almost draw a flowchart about this: get excited about an idea. Time to move on from rectangles and circles to actual visuals. Gets really depressed by the fact that my game will never be. Drop game dev for a few months. Get a excited about an idea, and so on. I want to break this circle. Please, tell me if I finish a tutorial series like this: drawabox.com/ I'll be able to draw some brick walls and skeletons for my shitty game.

plot twist they are the player and youre game is shit

Only if you have talent.

If you don't have it, then don't waste your time trying to create something that will always be sub par.

Call the robot Andy. Andy Roid.

Don't laugh. You know it works.

I don't know what game you are talking about, it's just some puzzle game that focuses on space manipulation, for the space jam.

i doubt it will evolve past that since i'm a shit programmer and mesh manipulation is hard for me.

Looks swell

I assume the glass doesn't have any special interaction when you shoot it yet?

Ideas for Space Jam game please.

if infinity + 1 = infinity,

what is infinity halved? infinity/2 = ?

what if we divide infinity by a very large sum?

infinity / gorillion = ?

the clean style looks really nice, too much detail would draw attention to the low res of it

infinity is not a real quantity

half infinity
small infinity

there's literally no difference unless you plan to compare them to other infinites

As a tank you pretty much needed all your vital stuff like cooldowns, target, ToT and health in the middle of the screen, because even glancing away from a moment could fuck you up. Same with pvp and arena.
That's not to say that his shit shouldn't be resized and in better positions, but the way he has them arranged isn't that bad.

Any way to make Unreal Engine recognise Codeblocks's compiler instead of having to bother with Visual Studio?

If you show off pictures of a game in development where you're blatantly using other games' assets, but only as placeholders, could that get you trouble later down the line?

For example, completely using Samus's sprite set to test Metroid-esque game.

It's all the same. It's infinity. Unless you divide or multiply it by a negative number then the infinity isn't changing.

We rarely look at infinity in terms of its objective value, we look at it more as a concept of a number approaching the infinite. Sometimes you have higher orders of infinity that essentially allow you to answer questions like one negative infinity plus infinity, but context defines those things. There's no absolute answer.

I've been using and learning GM:S for a couple weeks now and I must say it's pretty damn powerful. 2D-wise it can pretty much do anything you want.

I don't understand why we sometimes have people here hating on it.

You can't into legal trouble if you're not trying to sell it and your game isn't popular enough to trigger a nintendo c&d.
People will give you shit for it though.

infinity isnt a number

infinity is not a number you cant perform arithmetic operations on it

stupid anime girl