Why has no one recreated the "Greek Fire"

Why has no one recreated the "Greek Fire"

Eat chili con carne three days in a row like me and come back.

For the same reason that most things pre-enlightenment aren't/can't be recreated: Precise and well preserved records are rare.

isn't that the thing mericans threw on all those gooks?

Who gives a shit about greek fire when modern napalm incendiary bombs exist

Its called napalm you fucking Turk.

Recipe had been lost to time

Damascus steel is the big one.
Packed full of good old fashion carbon nanotubes

>Precise and well preserved records are rare.
nigga we got napalm and better shit now, that stuff is just useless/too dangerous nowadays.

For what reason when Napalm exists? Is there anything why someone should try to re-create it?

If I called it that I wouldn't be able to mention the gooks you dumb abo

Damascus steel is just different types of steel and nickle pounded together to make cool patterns

Because it's irrelevant

Damascus Steel swords are beautiful works of art

Remember, the records of it's qualities are no more reliable than those about the Archimedes mirror.

>history is useless
Whatever (((You))) say.

naphtha and petroleum

>throw water on napalm it goes out
>throw water on Greek fire it gets bigger

Why wouldn't you want to recreate it? You could burn a whole country to the ground with no way of stopping it

If Greek fire was a big deal it would have been recorded and passed down. People would use it.

Either Greek fire didn't actually exist (basically propaganda) or it was useless and just for show.

Just figure out how to blow useless fire with primitive technology.
We don't know how Stonehenge was made either, but people have come up with really good explanations that make perfect sense. There's that one guy who basically builds henges single-handedly as a hobby.

>>history is useless
lmao when did i say history is useless?
i said that shit is useless for todays combat.
no boats ram each other and use arrows and shit for combat. also the government wouldnt want people burning themselves with shit like this. remember you have to think of the lowest common denominators

It wasn't written down because it was a closely guarded secret.

or it was kept in complete secrecy to avoid it falling to the enemy's hands...

I bet it was just tar, and they lit it on fire with burning arrows, and then some troll tried to pass it off as some spooky technology.

Your talking to New Zealand, not Australia...

like there is a difference

>just

Napalm is currently against military law. But the Chinese seem to not care.

Its not so much that we couldnt recreate it, just that we dont know exactly what it was. We know what it probably was, but not exactly what the mixture was.
Truth be told, the real mystery is probably in the propulsion system not the mixture itself.
There is no doubt that Greek fire was real. Not only is it mentioned practically everywhere, but in numbers of private letters not meant for the public. Its because it was so closely guarded and stressed to be so by everyone ever that it never got out.

I think it is simply oil (which was known and used back then) and some sort of highly reactive alkaline like potassium. In the oil, potassium is perfectly safe, but when it comes in contact with water, it catches on fire. This is consistent with accounts of greek fire where pouring water on the fire makes it worse.

Water isn't the only way to kill a fire

Golly?
Really?

It has been, just under different names, like naptha.

Pouring water on any oil fire usually makes it worse because it will spread it.

Greek fire is just 3 parts Greek yogurt 1 part olive oil and red pepper

Napalm can burn underwater my man

guys don't do this it makes greek fire

That one guy who used to be on the History channel already did it (back when it showed actual history). He made some kind of wooden box, filled it with some special secret mixture and sprayed it through a hose. It was like a really basic flamethrower but it worked.

Why would we need to?

It's interesting sure but it wouldn't serve any practical purpose. Modern incendiary weapons are presumably much more effective as well as being somewhat banned.

It's probably been perfectly or nearly recreated multiple times throughout history, just that because we're not sure of the original recipe(s) we can't be certain about it. Flammable concoctions being thrown or hosed at people was pretty popular in the Middle Ages, and there's no reason to believe what the Byzantines had was any better or worse than what anyone else had. Much of the mythology around their mixture however seems to come from theirs being the first to be used on a large scale, combined with the mystique of apparent state secrecy. I think the latter is even more exaggerated than the former since it assumes that the Byzantines were like some modern state hiding a doomsday weapon rather than a xenophobic bureaucracy who regularly didn't trouble themselves with the scientific details of what their artisans could make, but cared deeply about who could have access to their art.

Greek Fire was a closely guarded secret in the Eastern Roman Empire, where only the smiths and engineers who make it had access to it. They were right to guard it, as it gave the Navy a clear advantage until the advent of gunpowder.

the downside of a closely guarded ancient secret is that once it is lost, it's lost forever.

but as mentioned earlier in the thread. the want to recreate it isn't to use it again as a military weapons, petroleum jelly is clearly an improvement. but if we were to discover a flamethrowing compound that in no way uses petroleum would make pretty big ripple effects in the chemistry world, perhaps helping us build upon the mixture the Byzantines created for modern use.

Wrong

it's not real. Open your eyes sheeple, Constantinople was an inside job. Greek fire can't melt wood ships

Greek Fire is a full meme. Even if it did exist, it would be volatile as fuck and likely roast the shit out of the people using it. What a retarded weapon.

>Even if it did exist
it did
>it would be volatile as fuck
good
>What a retarded weapon.
won the romans several naval engagements

And what's your source on that? Infowars? Lmao

fuggin greeks

scientists have made similar substances with similar resources, we just can't call them as recreation of the greek fire because there isn't any authentic recipes or samples of the stuff itself to compare so no-one can be sure.

Napalm is pretty much the modern equivalent in warfare

There has been no demand for it.

Because we don't know what the fuck it was. We can make an analogue from things available to the Byzantines that produces the same effect, but we don't know if it's literally the actual historical substance.

lol

targetted energy weapons : melt a man in his boots