/edg/ Elite: Dangerous General / Icy Torpor Edition

>Where do i buy x module/weapon for my ship?
High-tech systems have the best inventory, look there. The more population the better.

>What's this RES you guys talk about?
Resource Extraction site. spawns pirates and space cops that shoot each other. HAZRES in best left until you have a Vulture or better.

>Pilots Guide:
forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34437&p=664610&viewfull=1#post664610

>Steam Group (post your commander info in the announcement so we can add you)
steamcommunity.com/groups/dangerousgeneral

>Change HUD color:
pcgamer.com/how-to-change-the-colour-of-your-ships-hud-in-elite-dangerous/
arkku.com/elite/hud_editor/

>Markets Tools:
eddb.io/trade/loops
elitetradingtool.co.uk/

>Ship discounts (report these as you find them)
All systems exploited by Li Yong-Rui have a discount on ships and outfits for example:
NU TAURI - Parmitano Terminal
BD+28 413 - Gunn Station

>Horizons? Engineers? What?
Horizons DLC added planetary landings, land on certain planets with the blue icon and gather materials for special boosts, ammunition or Engineer upgrades that modify your ship modules.
>List of Engineers & blueprints:
inara.cz/galaxy-blueprints
inara.cz/galaxy-engineers

>Test your ships before you buy:
edshipyard.com/
coriolis.io/

Don't you dare buy a Cobra, we'll know.
>praise the vision

PREVIOUS THREAD

Other urls found in this thread:

coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutter/2putuFplxdusCf62c1v1v2828282802020404030303034p072d5o3c2d2dv42f.Iw18ZZA=.Aw18ZZA=
reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4ou23c/happy_fathers_day_to_all_the_elite_dangerous/
twitter.com/drewwagar/status/744423971026837504
twitter.com/CMDR_Canthor
twitter.com/CmdrKhelder
coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05C5A5A4C4A5D5C----------f604422t020101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=longbus
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ded thred

Approximately how long would it take to mine 500 tons for the engineer in an Asp or Conda?

>ded at 300 replies

I think it's time to stop.
It's fitting, really. /edg/ goes to sleep on Father's Day.

See you fags in 8 months.

>orca
>multi-purpose
nice meme. I just sold my orca because of it's shitty jumprange and manouvrability

ONE(1)[Uno]{Oднa} FUCKING JOB /edg/ all you had to do. Keep the thread alive

Rate my Battle Cutter

coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutter/2putuFplxdusCf62c1v1v2828282802020404030303034p072d5o3c2d2dv42f.Iw18ZZA=.Aw18ZZA=

So, what is yor opinion on engineers, edgelords?

A

I love it

I'm not even kidding I love being a space scavenger. Hate the bugs though. hope they fix those soon

2.1 was the final straw for me.
I didn't mind 2.0 and had thought Engineers plus the updated mission system would end up with you being given specialized missions with the payoffs being engineer upgrades and with the stories Braben kept telling, that maybe some upgrades might be illegal.

NOPE! It's all grinding for a turn at the gambling table and maybe a spin of the wheel.

Personally, I blame Sandro. This is so far out there from being fun that only a braindamaged alien like him could come up with it. Braben is some kind of idiot child that has a vision but no idea how to implement it and Sandro is always the one that figures out how but always in a way that makes no sense to human thought.

Forum dads out in full force

>get better internet
OH MY SIDES ARE FLYING TO ALPHA CENTAURI

Holy shit that guy's a dumbass

That's it. I'm fucking done.

I wonder if I can still get a refund

He is free!!! Watch with me brothers! Praise be to he who is unshackled!

you'll be back

>stupidity of player base influences my opinion on the game
You're not any better than they are honestly

Frontier caters to the dads who suck their dick at every opportunity
Dads may as well be devs

>SC is fine

I will never fucking understand this. SC is fine for the most part for destinations 500ls or less but after that it just takes for fucking ever getting anywhere. It's so soul crushingly depressing because it's such an easy fix. All they need to do is increase the acceleration and deceleration. But of course this won't ever happen because dads love staring at starfield screensavers.

oh shidd boys it habbening :-DDD

thargoids NAO

>asp in front of a star
literally LITERALLY never seen it before

reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4ou23c/happy_fathers_day_to_all_the_elite_dangerous/

twitter.com/drewwagar/status/744423971026837504

1200ly is what, 3-6 hours for an armada of alien invaders bent on revenge?

how about an anaconda?

Please explain. I don't understand what is he talking about

thargoid JDs can hit 500LY. and it said he's running AWAY from the core

prepare to get assfucked in tionisla, boys, welcome to the Rift

RIP Chekov

MUH THARGOIDS!!!

The mystery update at the end of the year is probably Thargoids. I hope you enjoy getting pulled out of witchspace every other jump.

>We only have interdictions every millisecond so how about we also interdict you every millisecond in hyperspace

>twitter.com/CMDR_Canthor
>twitter.com/CmdrKhelder

people like this exist. these are real people.

I hope we'll be able to loot thargoid shit
>Corvette with 300LY jump range

Don't be so demanding you entitled milennial, don't you see how this would make the game too gamey?

t.cobramacdaddy

Shame supercruise will never be scrapped. It's not enjoyable playing a game in which all of the content is some invisible signal floating in space.

This Sothis thing is shit with my Type 7, any other ways to exploit the game for fast bucks? I don't have enough for a Python yet.

After thinking about it a little bit, this reminds me a lot of playing on an old SS13 RP server.

It was pretty fun playing there at first. Everyone was great, the atmosphere was comfy, and it was just generally enjoyable to play on that server. But then we started getting a lot of players that would felate the admins whenever they could. Then the admins started making events and forcing the lore of the server to revolve around these players that they liked, essentially pandering to them. They kept forcing the entire server to go through events where the whole crew was killed, or ruining entire characters because they didn't like them. It was pissing off a good portion of the playerbase, but whenever someone complained, the circlejerk would come a-running and basically tell us to fuck off or that everything was great and that we were just not enjoying the server right, the server had never been better! And so a lot of the players, myself included, left. About two months later, the server shut down because they bled players quickly, and couldn't hold on to any newer players because of their shitty events that ALWAYS revolved around their circlejerk.

I feel as if Elite is going the same way. The story and updates only go the way forumdads want it to. Engineers that required you to grind for hours? PowerPlay being a broken mess? Thargoids making the game unplayable by killing you and making jumps between systems nigh impossible? Go play EVE! This is the way Elite is meant to be played. It's Elite DANGEROUS, remember?

>mfw realizing some forumdads write their posts almost exactly like a few of the faggots that ruined my favorite server

>SC is fine for the most part for destinations 500ls or less but after that it just takes for fucking ever getting anywhere.
- Up the max speed and acceleration (yes the Clarke reference will be gone) to make long-distance travel less painful.
- Tweak numbers (I'm not sure how exactly) so that fun stuff like gravity braking is more powerful.
- Give us a proper system map and possibly tweak stuff so that avoiding planets in the path gives you much faster trips.
Make it interactive is what I'm asking for I guess.

>slingshot yourself around the sun you arrive at
>instant 200c velocity
>use nearby planet to gravity brake
>from 200 to 2c in 10s

The fact that the newsletter is so obsessed with what the reddit faggots are doing every week is an indication that it's going the same way as your thing .

Gravity breaking actually works but it's highly dependent on the orbit of the station and where exactly it is in that orbit. I think the gravity and mass of the planet itself might also play a role in it but who knows. I have successfully sped myself up and used a planet's gravity to break before but it only really works if the station is on the other side of the planet relative to you, otherwise you'll just slingshot yourself around and the drag of the planet will reduce your speed to sub 1Mm/s speeds for the rest of the journey, which at that point you may as well just set your speed to the blue zone and let the nav computer control your speed.

Your changes look great, and I'd love to see stuff like that.

If EG Pilots win, will their faction literally have that name? That would break the fourth wall.

Have you seen some of the system descriptions where player groups have had themselves inserted as the controlling faction?

It's way too late to worry about the 4th wall. Or good writing for that matter.

Why don't we make our own group and system?

give me an example

I use gravity braking just cause it's fun, I have no idea if it's actually faster than the standard method.

I think supercruise as an idea is fine the implementation is just bad (though I guess that pretty much sums up ED in general).

Tweaking a few numbers could make it a lot more interesting.

For example make it quicker and easier to drop in and out of signal sources. In other open-world games you're walking or driving so stopping to look at something interesting by the roadside doesn't massively eat into your travel time, but Elite's slow acceleration, instancing pauses etc. make it a pain to check these things out. At least they added some info to the signal sources though, that's a step forward.

Maybe make it so fuel scooping depends on speed, so high-speed orbits of a star could fill your tank much faster than dropping to minimum speed. Make the refuel speed continue to scale right up to the SC limit so you have people skimming the drop-out line to maximise refueling speed.

Because that's faggotry, user.

Asp is much better for Sothis.

Chinaman space is a good place to start looking for awful writing. Lots of player factions got themselves placed there because of the convenient discounts and ended up getting stations UA bombed because of their presence.
eg: Ising Dock in 109 Piscium used to have one of the best selections of ships and modules. Now it's shut down.

Ok thanks, now to find a place that sells the fucker.

>Maybe make it so fuel scooping depends on speed
I'm pretty sure it already does depend on speed.

It's always looked to me like the fuel scoop and heat generation rates are functions of your distance from the star and your speed. Where moving faster will let you maximize your harvesting rate at a higher altitude, while you need to dive lower to cap it out at a lower speed.

I know a friend of mine likes to refuel his ship with his shitty fuel scoop by dropping down to minimum SC speed, getting enough close to the star to max out his fuel capture rate, and going AFK for a few minutes.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I routinely max-out the harvest rate with my conda's 7A fuel scoop as I make a high speed pass by the star with the throttle wide open, hit the frameshift drive button the moment it goes off cooldown, and jumping away with my heat meter in the high 90's

Any system with a high-tech rating will have it, in all likelihood.

I use the following build for doing long range smuggling:
coriolis.io/outfit/asp/05C5A5A4C4A5D5C----------f604422t020101.Iw18WQ==.Aw18WQ==?bn=longbus

This will take you around the area of 450LY without needing to refuel, which saves time but costs you cargo space. If you skip the extra fuel for more space you'll need to watch your fuel and remember to scoop. You'll also spend more time with cargo, due to having to stop for scooping, which adds up to more interdictions. You will probably earn more money per run though.

Personally I would love if they implemented something as another user said, where gravity could be used to slingshot yourself to achieve higher speeds and faster travel, and making gravity breaking more profound so you could actually use it to slow yourself down enough to make it to a station.

I think a huge problem that people don't bring up is the "safe drop" speed. I don't know what's going on with it because sometimes it's 8Mm/s but usually it's 1Mm/s which is fucking ridiculous. I wish it was set to something like 10Mm/s, I think a lot of problems would go away since you wouldn't have to decelerate as much.

Any 4th wall breaking group descriptions?

Fuel scooping is distance. Literally stick your dick in a star and you'll reach the maximum rate you can take in fuel.

>I'm pretty sure it already does depend on speed.

It has nothing to do with speed, just proximity and facing. You can literally park at minimum speed and scoop at full rate if you're close enough to the star and facing it.

Thanks a lot dude.

Personally I go full cargo and fuel scoop. Sometimes I sell my shields if it allows me to take that one extra mission.

I have two bounties on my ass and still always make it in one piece, thank fuck for mines and dumbfire missiles

I'm just not sure how gravity slingshot and braking would work with SC. How would the game know when you are slingshotting and when you are braking?

I think they changed safe drop speed for signals. They should just make it higher in general to make hitting it at the right time at full speed a bit more of a reflex challenge.

what are good systems for smuggling? I can't seem to find any in the 300/500LY belt around the bubble

Anybody want to share IGNs?

Safe drop speed for signal sources is now related to the speed you were going when ti spawned. Like if you're going at 11C now it'll have a safe drop range of 11Mm and speed tolerance of 11Mm/sec.

Why can't we make our own group/player faction? Surely someone is autistic enough here to see it trough

Sothis or Ceos comes to mind.

Robigo if the station(s) ever get fixed.

What's the best way to grind money these days? I have about 20m

So I just picked this up.

How do I play?

I have a logitech extreme 3d pro that i just finished fiddling with so flying feels ok now.

Do i just do missions till my eyes bleed or wat?

Anyonoe know of a decent place to grind imp rank?

ceci n'est pas un bump

Blaze your own trail, CMDR :^)
Don't let other people tell you what to do and just do it o7

buy as many cargo racks as you can for your starting sidewinder
find a hauling mission or a data courier mission to a nearby system
upgrade your FSD ASAP or some places will be literally unattainable
upgrade your ship and save up until you can buy a bigger ship and upgrade it outright

>Do i just do missions till my eyes bleed or wat?

Yep. Enjoy the VISION.

Bulk trading is the easiest way to earn money consistently, but earnings scale with your cargo space, so it might not be the best for someone new. It's also boring as hell unless you like work or use it as an opportunity to catch up on podcasts.

My advice would be to start out with some trade/courier-related missions until you've made enough money and flying experience to decide what your next move is. Missions don't scale well income-wise when you get to the more expensive ships (unless you're doing long range smuggling), so it's useful to find an activity that suits you so you can plan ahead for ship purchases and the like. I can post a ship buying guide in a moment.

No one here? Am I alone in spehs?

in spess no-one can hear you scream "there's nothing to fucking do"

I am giving cloth to the slavbros, so that dads don't get their favorite jewtuber his own powerplay faction.

What activities are there besides missions?

Do courier/hauling missions for a bit to familiarize yourself with the controls, learn how to take off and land and all that shit, then refer to the chart

Upgrade according to whether you want to go exploring, hauling, combat, etc.

Bounty hunting, which consists of either interdicting wanted people in supercruise or farming pirates in resource extraction sites (ranked blank, low, high, hazardous in terms of danger/rewards). There's bulk trading (buy shit here and sell it there). There's exploration (go out into the universe and scan shit). There's lots of little activities to do that are the same no matter where you go.

is bounty hunting in a sidewinder advisable?

Should be easy enough, just pick on targets the system security is already hammering and you'll pick-up credits pretty quick. (System security doesn't kill steal).

You CAN do it, but don't just pick fights with any old ship at Resource Extraction Sites or Nav Beacons, follow system security around and whoever they shoot at, target and try to get one shot in before they die.

And I might as well say this, you might as well get any stupid shit out of your system while you are in the sidewinder, as the penalties for dying in that aren't really a thing.

I'd say do a bunch of missions until you have about 150k-200k in credits, which shouldn't take too long, then upgrade to a Viper Mk III. Start off with gimballed (auto-tracking) weapons, but start teaching yourself how to shoot without the tracking as eventually you'll want to learn how to do fixed. That Cobra duel in the training missions can help you get started with fixed weapons, as you'll have to use the railguns to take down the other guy, and those only come in fixed. Start with some pulse lasers on the small hardpoints to take down shields and some multi-cannons on the mediums for hull.

Oh, one more thing:

Never, EVER fly without insurance money. You can see what the current cost to rebuy is on your stats menu (when you look right in the cockpit). If you don't have enough when you die, you just lose your ship forever, unless you complain on the forums that you died because you had to take care of your wife's son or whatever

lol, sounds good.

Also, lets say I was gunning for a system that was super far away and im now floating in space with no fuel.

Do i just pack it up and give up or?

>No fuel

Just kill yourself. You're starting ship isn't worth much.

>slingshotting = on a "slingshot trajectory" (closer to the edges of the yellow circle than the centre, or maybe even outside the circle)
>braking = when centered (ie on impact trajectory)
not sure if it'd work but it's possible

If you want to start bounty hunting right away, what said about the Viper is correct.

If not, I'd get a Cobra as my second ship. It's not the second coming of jesus as the dads on the ed forum think, but it's not shit like /edg/ memes it out to be.

>Arrive in system
>FAS interdicks me
>Escape
>Arrive at station
>FAS arrives at station
>Why hello there
>Fire railguns and heavy plasma at me
>Plasmas miss and impact the station
>Station flips its shit and kills the FAS

done similar things

>robigo smuggle run pre nerf
>drop down into realspace to station
>elite python drops down with me, hardpoints deployed
>demands cargo
>go into no fire zone
>he starts leaving
>back out
>he comes back
>continue getting him ever closer to no fire zone
>stay outside long enough to get shot, boost into zone
>he follows and is fried immediately

I wonder if the AI still does this...

Thanks for the help bro bros, got another question, why is private play a thing? Thought this was like an mmo type deal?

Kickstarter backers who wanted a pure singleplayer game, just ignore it and play open.

>friendly with anarchy pirate faction
>pirates still fucking interdict me and attack me because VISION
>always run because actually trying to get this faction's influence up and killing them lowers their influence
>flying in system, NPC says he wants my tasty cargo
>what
>check cargo
>apparently i picked up some engineer commodities from a mission or something
>cant escape interdiction, whatever, submit
>boost boost wake
>go check out a USS
>he immediately pops up in front of me despite him not even appearing in SC again
>hes in a DBE
>can out maneuver my fucking A rated Vulture, takes down my shields with one pass
>fuck it, run away again
>interdicts me AGAIN
>submit and say fuck it, this shit is worthless on the market and i dont even fucking have horizons anyways, dump it all for him
>YOU HAVE MADE A WISE CHOICE
>god fuck you, jump back to SC so i can get back to station
>hes back again asking for my cargo
>check cargo, yup, i gave it all to him
>mfw task manager, kill elite process

I fucking hate this game. I love playing it and just dicking around but it's almost as if the fucking game WANTS me to hate it so it does everything it can to make my session miserable.

Oh, poor sweet naive user. You have much to learn about the VISION.

I don't even know, probably so the forum dads had some eternal bogeyman to bitch about constantly therefore keeping the pace of the game similar to molasses in January.