/lozg/ - The Legend of Zelda General

Welcome to the Legend of Zelda general. Talk about Zelda games old and new, and all discussions related to the entire franchise in its various forms. Share and discuss art, music, news developments, timeline theories, speedrunning strats, etc.

/lozg/ #2 - Mountaineering Edition

>I never played a Zelda game, where should I start from?
zeldadungeon.net/forum/threads/best-zelda-game-for-new-players-to-start-with-a-brief-recommendation-guide.52290/
Otherwise, ask for recommendations in this thread.

>List of Zelda games currently available on this gen's consoles
nintendo.com/games/game-guide?pv=true#/filter/-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|zelda
3DS has the N64 Zelda remakes plus NES, SNES, GBC Virtual Console.
Wii U has the GC Zelda HD ports plus NES, SNES, N64, GBA, Wii and DS Virtual Console.

>The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Infobin
pastebin.com/7e60Xwd

>Triforce Heroes group of play
*Coming soon or never*

>News/DevelopmentsTwilight Princess Picross:
my.nintendo.com/rewards/93fc36d80848c6dc
>Link theme for 3DS:
my.nintendo.com/rewards/82df9c18e92f49fc
>Wind Waker HD coupon:
my.nintendo.com/rewards/5fcf540895787b91
>Bow and arrows for Miitomo:
my.nintendo.com/rewards/0254df5cf4af7f7a

TloZ - "Symphony of the Godesses" concert tour
zelda-symphony.com/pages/schedule

TloZ Card Game
gamespot.com/articles/the-legend-of-zelda-trading-cards-listed-online/1100-6439912/

Twilight Princess manga in the west
nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/the_legend_of_zelda_twilight_princess_manga_is_coming_to_the_west

Previous Thread:

TP is best modern zelda

>TP is best modern zelda

TP and WW for desu senpai

Cremia the best

Best girls

>next (after BotW) Zelda
>you play as Link, as normally
>after each dungeon you control Zelda much like you did with Peach in Paper Mario
>when Link unite with Zelda you control both, like a companion but with a "Tag" button
>you can play it cooperatively with a friend controlling Zelda/Link

wow stop posting

Hmm? I don't hate TP. I actually enjoyed it. I just feel like it was merely good in all aspects, but not really great in any department except for combat.
TP's combat was God Tier, but you never really had a chance to let it shine. I hope that this new game adds all the parries and special maneuvers that you could perform in TP, wherein with the smarter AI it might actually find a use.
Anyways, I feel like the other games are all great in their own ways. Ocarina of Time's storytelling and atmosphere was 10/10
Same goes for Majora's Mask, plus the artstyle and the time gimmick were great.
The Wind Waker is gorgeous and has an awesome overworld to explore, even if the water gets monotonous. And the characters in the Wind Waker are nearly as fleshed out as they are in MM.

(((Error: You must wait 2 minutes 32 seconds before posting a duplicate reply.)))

>there are people who actually hate TP

Come on man, there's literally a part with the fucking Yeti where I figured out I was in a dungeon by the 3rd soup request. The game is great

>TP's combat was God Tier
You mean mortal draw spam?

r8 me

Building off of this, TP in general felt like wasted potential: the video game.

The story is good. It builds the conflict and the history pretty well, but then kills it with a KojiPro tweest that it introduces rather lacklusterly, simply saying "yeah; this is what happened". There were very few hints and very little foreshadowing and nothing suggested that this twist was grounded in its own story. It cheapened the conflict.
Even without this, though, it's oddly paced. It takes this mysterious guy and builds him up slowly, but then as you think you're still in the early phases of your conflict with him, he disappears. Whoops! Turns out you just passed the game's climax!

(contined 1/?)

Ok, anyone know the best settings for SS emulation?

>OoT overworld instead of TP
>no mode of transportation
>he liked Tatl

(continuing 2/?)
Twilight Princess almost had what could have been one of the best villains in Zelda. He was intimidating, intelligent, and cruel, but unlike the excuse plot found in Ganon's intentions ("I hate all that is good lol"), he actually seemed to have grounded, sane reasons for doing what he did. He seemed to be a very sharp, rational being that believed himself to be just but ruled with an iron fist. And that's cool. But then you don't ever really see him. You hear about him a few times, your companion gripes at him, and you run into him in person I think twice. Both times, he doesn't really seem to regard you as much, implying that you're still in the early stages of building his character and his interaction with you. In these moments, it is suggested that he is incredibly vain, as only pride would prevent him from killing you on the spot in either event. However, it turns out that your second dull encounter with him is actually one of the game's climaxes, as this is the last time you see him before the end and he curses your companion. From here, the game somewhat tones itself down. Soon after this is when the plot twist kicks in and it shows that he was nothing more than an angry and insecure dude that let an even angrier but more confident dude take over him and they both only care about destroying all that is good without any rhyme or reason. The villain does not have any motives and loses all intimidation factor as he immediately switches from a cool facade to hysterics. It feels like you've been fighting a toddler the entire game.

I was with you until ">he liked Tatl"
>Disliking Tatl

(continuing 3/?)
Onto the subject of combat, TP had amazing combat. I personally never used the Mortal Draw, but without using the draw I was still able to seamlessly flow in combat and use a wide variety of moves to avoid the button mashing becoming boring. Unfortunately, the game never presents an opportunity to truly push the combat to its limits. The Darknuts are the toughest enemies in the game, and even they are still fairly simple in strategy. You don't need to utilize the combat to its fullest since none of the enemies are designed around the extended moveset.

The overworld is good. It's got lots of pretty areas, but it's not got much in the way of secrets. It's huge. And with the clunky horseback mechanics, you can't really explore it from horseback unless you're simply traveling from point a to point b. However, there's all the wolf caves and insects hidden everywhere. And with how huge it is, even the horse doesn't help. You'll spend ages trying to find that last heart piece you overlooked because it was in a rock on a ledge that looked like every other rock on a ledge or that grasshopper that was for some reason in the middle of the largest open section of the field near zero landmarks and near nothing that would draw the player to it. The overworld would have been ncie if it was much smaller, but it's simply nothing to write home about with its huge size. Plus, those dig caves suck. Surely they could have found more creative ways to hide loot.

I hated Fi in game but her design was still fun and then Maniacpaint made her sexy

Anons, I'm so happy; I got my Gamecube working again (a while back it suddenly stopped reading discs, I tried cleaning the lens again for the hell of it and it suddenly worked). So glad I can play GC games without having to fish for batteries for my stupid Wii mote.

I just popped in Wind Waker for the first time in a long time 'cause I'm in a seafaring mood and I think I'm finally going to go collect all the figurines. There aren't enough waifus in this game.

inb4 nice blog.

Oh, and here's one of these.

I like the WW and TP artstyles the most for different reasons.

(finished 4/4)
Since the art direction and the companion are almost entirely up to loose opinion, I'm only going to finish on the gimmick.

Wolf Link. Two attack moves. One has to charge and limits your movement. This move is mandatory against fast enemies that like to move around a lot.
Wolf whistling was kinda boring and it's tough to time it correctly. I prefer just entering the notes in the correct order and not worrying about timing, like in OoT, MM, and WW.

Zant was basically Ganondorf-lite, he wasn't interesting at all before he showed he was crazy. The entire point was that he was basically an insecure bully who was played by a true villain.
>very few hints
>Link's triforce being visible yet nobody caring
>Zelda being imprisoned and Hyrule castle being the center of the evil, almost exactly like a certain prequel
>The gerudo being extinct
They were obvious tells that the events of OoT never happened and that the Ganondorf of the past was still a threat. Killing Zant was the climax for Midna, but not for Link or Zelda. I agree the the story was too heavily centered on her and everyone else suffered as a result, but I thought Zant was handled well enough.

Wouldn't it be cool if zelda had guns?

>Wouldn't it be cool if zelda had guns?

>that
>sexy

How about no? First pic is much better

kek

>human eyes

I hope there are things there to deliberately fuck with lorefags like karoks and ooccoo coexisting

Realized while re-watching footage that the Old Man's beard is completely identical to the King's, just grown out and not neatly trimmed.

That was the first thing I noticed. The second thing was how he laughs. He always says "Har har har". Similar to how the king of red lions laughs. The third thing was the theme that plays when you activate the towers.

>the King of Hyrule is now an old, wiser man of action who lost his castle and is training/guiding Link to stop Ganon so he can have his kingdom prosper once more

I like this idea the more I think about it. For the first time, the King of Hyrule isn't just in background noise, a meme or just using a boat to help out, but instead actually out and about and also traversing the land like you are as he watches your progress to see if you truly are "the one" who can save Hyrule.

Nobody is mentioning the gerudo nose...

Is anybody else sad that the rolling mechanic has been removed?

I know it's just nostalgia speaking, but rolling all over Hyrule in OoT and MM was an iconic experience.

He's got a pretty big honker m8

>a meme
When was the king a meme?

Think he's talking about King Harkinian, not King Daphnes.

>hyrule warriors
non canon

He's got a pretty big honker m8

Oh yeah that

>it's a meme mario.com
non canon

BotW seems more gerudo than WW

If Koroks evolved to live on the ocean, why didn't they evolve back to live on land??

And if their korok form was better for land anyways, why did they wait until a flood to evolve??

Checkmate Wind Watheists.

Koroks didn't evolve though. They are the same Kokiri from OoT, they've just changed form.

When you guys start a new game, do you put your name, custom name, or Link?

For as long as I've been playing Zelda I've put "Link" as the character's name.

When I was young, I put "Hero" as the name for a lot of games (Dragon Warrior, Chrono Trigger, Zelda, etc)

I changed to Link during N64 days. I just might start using Hero again.

When I was a kid I used my name. Now I just leave it as link.

I've never used my name. I use Link or something that will make funnies.

Is it bad that I put Zelda at one point?

I used to go with BBQ because I loved meat

I still do though, but now it's just Link

or Lunk

I always used my real name until Twilight Princess, where I changed it to the mangled and mispronounced way that my friend's Brazilian mother used to say it.

Now I just use a goofy random funny name.

So, I have a cool hope for this game:

>game likely takes place in Adult timeline, centuries after ST
>Hyrule unflooded, but in ruins
>the old one was kinda beaten up, so they built a new Hyrule castle and people slowly began to settle the land
>WHOOPS
>Ganon returns
>gets sealed in Hyrule Castle

As a result, the following I hope happens:
>Ganon trapped in Hyrule castle
>As link is exploring Hyrule, he can come across the WW Hyrule castle
>Spooky ruins filled with soldier stalfos and whatnot
And now here comes the part where I bring in unreasonable expectations (as if the above wasn't already unreasonable enough)
>tfw Skyrim hearthfire DLC in Zelda vanilla game
>renovate WW castle

would be neat

first time i play a zelda i always put link for traditions sake

>you will never marry Fi
>you will never buy a house with her in Hyrule
>you will never adopt and raise a dagger with her

;_;

..why even live, user?

This whole game is just a huge dungeon right?

That was the intention, the game was trying to make each area feel like a dungeon.

Which is something I loved, but...few people seem to agree?

Yeah, I also liked that. People dislike it for being linear, which is not something inherently bad imo.

Inherently linear isn't so much of an issue for me as is the feeling of desolation. Part of what made OoT great is the pacing. Every once in a while there were "peaceful" areas to explore, sidquests to do and people to meet. In SS there's only a single interesting area, Skyloft, and once you explore it, welp you're done.

>In SS there's only a single interesting area
>Skyloft
Fucking wot

Lanayru is 100 times more interesting, right from the start when you see the triforce thing

That was primarily why I hated it.

It's just a dungeon area. It'd desolate. There's nothing interesting to do or explore.

Admittedly I find SS to be visually the most compelling Zelda game (besides maaybe WW), but it's just so boring.

How do you explain this?

DELET THIS

I'm just gonna post it again because it's the definitive answer.

I know this is obvious b8, but it's seriously mainly due to streams like Twitch being a shit with washing out colors, shit frame rates and so forth. Mainly because Twitch will never change so long as LoL and DOTA 2 keep ensuring endless people go to their site.

Watch actual footage caught by those who recorded gameplay themselves or by other such people, and be amazed at the difference when streaming doesn't fug up everything.

Please note that I've never played Skyward Sword

When I was a kid, I was flipping through the player's guide for Oracles before starting the game and this illustration looked like they were carrying blood; I haven't played this game since it came out because it was a rental so I don't remember, did they explain what was in the buckets?

>best mode of transportation
>goron mask

>Please note that I've never played Skyward Sword

It's pretty good, you should give it a try.

How did you map the inputs?

Red potion?

>SS antagonists
>ocarina a better gimmick than transformation masks

Fine besides that.
You get an extra point for suggesting Tatl though.

that's a comfy as fuck section of the game

Real Wiimote in Dolphin

masks and music were a tie tbqh I liked ocarina better in MM though

Ah damn. I wish I could do that, I can't with my pc, I'll have to use a regular Xbox controller.

>Warriors
He's around the same size as Ganon and sports a similar skin tone as well as a general color scheme with all of the black he's wearing. His standing stance is familiar as well. But if you've watched one of the IGN streams, then you can hear the Hyrule Castle jingle tune when he approaches you at one point. And the nose is more bulbous than hooked, unlike Ganondorf's nose.

So yeah it's pretty much the King, despite the crazy size and the like.

Kind of bummed though. It was a fun twist in WW, but it's boring a second time around. Would've much preferred a Ganondorf who went good after having Ganon extracted out of him or something.

>I can't with my pc
How come not?

Now this looks nice, SS spoiler (?) so spoilered the pic

probably just lava or some shit considering where they come from

What sucks about what they did with SS is that it kind of makes it impossible for modders to make it look as good as they're making Twilight Princess look right now.

and then you realize Link's got the perfect height to give Ganondorf a rimjob.

That doesn't look good at all

I appreciate the shaders but those textures don't really fit.

Best they can do with what the base game is.

Those textures just look like some shitty MINECRAFT HD TEXTURE PACK. Completely kill the game's tone

those textures in that TP screenshot look like ass

also considering the differing art styles between TP and SS, the fact that distant backgrounds look like watercolor paintings in SS suits the game just fine

Considering twilight princess' tone is ass it's no big loss.

I like the new OP.

>Considering twilight princess' tone is ass it's no big loss.
Please leave, you're not allowed to tell lies about one of my favorite zelda games.

I agree, them's fightin' words

Good catch.

How well does it run on PC? How's your setup?

I started a playthrough again so I can fully understand why I dislike SS so much, but I play on a TV that's also a monitor so it scales up the resolution to it's a jaggi mess and it's starting to weigh heavily on me.

>there's literally a part with the fucking Yeti where I figured out I was in a dungeon by the 3rd soup request
It was pretty obvious it was a Dungeon in the exact moment you enter the yeti house.

I'm running it at 3200x2640 with no AA and 16x AF.

I could definitely run it higher but meh.

GTX970 i5 6600 non K