/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

Last Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

literally nothing wrong with settling on the surface

a human poet kill on of my starting 7 and didnt get charged with anything by my useless guard captain. How can I punish this fucking dirt walker

>female dwarves
>no beard
no

fucking crazy this game is actually really crazy.

Cast into Obsidian, display him like he's Han Solo.

why the fuck are these little faggots complaining about a lack of decent meals

and they are still complaining that hey dont have enough time to pray even though I built them a temple too

forgot image of all the lavish meals that they claim to lack

Went ahead and cleaned up a couple more tiles, centered the text a bit better, and added in the translucent background stuff, I've got the one without said backgrounds too if anybody wants it.

Mah nigga.

Mah digga.

Time to design your own custom made torture chamber, non-lethal enough so he can have a slow slow death

Bonus points if you heal him back so you can keep torturing him

Don't forget to mark their shit for dumping, make 'em wander around nude until you figure out what else to do.

Did a last check to make sure I had the corners and whatnot trimmed, figured since Rogue Yun went ahead and did a cleaner 24x24 that I'd do my corner clipping thing.

Is there a way to see which civilizations are in range of my fort? I have gotten no sieges and am getting worried. The only people to visit me in 5 years are one human civ, the mountainhomes, and a single goblin ambush not even a full siege. I dont want to go to war with the humans but I am desperate to use my military

How can you strip somebody while they are alive?

Unless Toady fixed it, you go into their inventory and mark it for dumping, your dorfs will handle the rest.

Demo screenshot!

Begone, page 10!

What's the highest dwarfbux you've gotten

51mil

16 for transforming your companions in trees after the magic update

I couldn't get an answer last thread. Dorfs won't brew above ground crops. They're in a food stockpile and accessible.

>not transforming trees in companions to march against the elves
NOW WHAT YOU KNIFE EARED ANIMAL FUCKERS

Are berries plants, user ?
Are they ?

Aren't Rye, Barley and Parsnips plants though?

Fuck if I know. Have you tried brewing from fruits anyway ?

Same error message. Maybe I need the whole plant or something.

Known bug, decon and rebuild the distillery.

Well the option suddenly became enabled, maybe the plants got moved in storage barrels or something. Who knows?

Actually, with the myth generator there, I can see elves actually becoming trees after they die.
If you see Toadys presentation, at the end of the explanation of the origin of a race, it tells you what does exactly happen after they die, so it could actually happen

>nothing wrong with settling on the surface
>nothing wrong with drinking from a river
>nothing wrong with wood crafts

It's a slippery slope user

Even better.

how do you make wood crafts without cutting down trees

checkmate atheists

Have you not heard of "grown" items. It's how elves get away with creating wooden items without killing trees.

Checkmate religious scum.

Growing wood you animal round-eared monster

>not cutting down more trees than you need and making them into useless crafts just out of spite

good luck growing your items you fucking hippies

Gee, i wonder who could be behind this post

>actual elfposters in /dfg/
What's next ? Avatarfags ? Tripfags ? Kobold posters ?

Chopping down trees is literally murder, but I understand if those of stunted intellect can't grasp that.

>Need to make steel armor
>shit, out of coal, better go chop some trees!
>I wonder why this reclaimed place was called the wooden ´´Nelara´´
>Oh well
>OH GOD, WHY IS THE TREE BLEEDING

Hilarious and original, I say. The future of this game is bright

I'll make a 31x31 pyramid out of wood and there's nothing you can do to stop me.

I know right, fucking scum.
Anyways check out this chicks, they hot

>Kobold posters ?

You're lucky I'm at work, else I'd show you what a single dwarf could do to a kobold """"""army"""""" in the arena.

Plumpbump

A few minutes ago died. I feel nothing.

Why do i feel pleasure when breaking every limbs of my enemies and undressing them, then slowly cut of each of their toes, fingers and ears till they are unconcious, then gouge their eyes out?

Is there a game more autistic then Dwarf Fortress?

New player here, is embarking on an aquifer really that hard? All the guides say not to do it, but pic related seems pretty easy.

Minecraft

Also, if I embark on ocean tiles, will the aquifer be saltwater?

Train Simulator.
You have to be autistic to like Trains

It's more inconvenient than hard. Everywhere you go, you will find stone that you can't dig, because it's aquifer. I mean everywhere. All over the place.

Seriously do not recommend.

Dark souls and minecraft seem to attract far more autists.

Dwarf fortress is for the 1%, the transcendently self aware elite of gaming society that live behind the curtain and simulate the complex strings that toy with the lesser bourgeois.

thanks, i thought it just meant 1 z level is all water.

Probably some fuckery with bins. Create a new refuse pile that only accepts prepared food (and also remove the prepared food acceptance from your other refuse piles) and dump a bunch of them.

Does starting civ effect anything or is it just lore??

Embark item availability. IDK if that's based on location or if it's just lore based.

>Embark item availability.
So bigger civ = more stuff?
Seems cool.

Can you turn off just the voices in SoundSense?

if I add [TRAINABLE] to elves, will I be able to have them slave/work for me?

Uh, different stuff. I'm not sure about more. Access to different ores/foodstuffs/types of wood kind of thing.

Aurora 4x

Do visitors to my libraries/taverns trigger traps?

Only if passed out.

that's easy unless it's a multi level aquafer, then you need pumps and crap. If it is just one z level though it provides a nice convenient spot for a well

I think so? check the wiki

>toady refuses to give players a checkbox to prioritise sparring over other forms of training

God fucking damnit why won't this autist do things which are easy and quality of life improving

Is squad equipment still a headache in .43 and above?

No.

It's not so bad once you learn how, like most things in the game.

Really? Even the myriad problems with marksdwarves?

Just send them niggas hunting, it's easy.

Factorio.

Don't die on me, /dfg/.

How do stills work in this game?

Does beer take months to brew beer or is it instant?

Do I need multiple stills per brewer or is it 1:1?

Your doing the lords work random bump user.

Instant. One brewer works one still at a time.

You need two dwarves, one making barrels at a carpenter's workshop, one making booze. This can be done concurrently or consecutively, whichever you prefer. For whatever reason (specifically toady being a terrible programmer), you can't use a barrel for more than one production of booze.

does anybody have more videos about toady talking about future game mechanics(preferably, myth generating and magic)?
need them to get a friend to play the game
also bump

It's not instant, but it doesn't take months. How quickly it gets done depends on the skill of the brewer. Once your brewer is legendary+ it's pretty close to instant.

Did you already show him the GDC 2016 presentation that was posted in the last thread?

>barrels
>not stone pots
Who was talking about playing optimally and whatnot last thread?

Also noticed I messed up a couple of pixels and spacing so here's the plain version again for folks who wish the curses 16x16 was larger and cleaner.

>toady says the release should be today
H Y P E

I fucking did it again.

I fucking did it.

Shit.

SHIT!

Just kill me already.

yes, anything else?

How many farming tiles can a grower work?
How many growers do I need if I want to grow lots of all 6 underground plants?
The wiki's not really clear on this.

One farmer per plot will overproduce anything you could want at the moment, they'll work one tile per task, but each tile doesn't take very long.

No, that's the only video I know of where he talks about it in any detail. There are more details in recent FotF replies, but that's probably not useful for your purposes.

Is there a fix for this shit? Been bugging the hell out of me

>daily repeating work order to produce 6 wooden barrels if less than 10 are available
>works fine for two years
>run out of logs for a bit
>it stops working even after I make more available
>cancel and recreate the order
>still broken

>broken
Broken how?

The farmer's skill level, agility, endurance, how far they have to travel for seeds, how far they have to travel to eat/drink/sleep, and how many other personal needs they have to satisfy will all affect how many seeds a farmer can plant over any given time period.
As for how many growers for lots of plants, it depends on what you consider lots. You'll need somewhere between a few and a lot.

It never becomes active, it's just checking forever.

I can make a one-time order for barrels and it goes through, but adding conditions stops it working.

oh, how about member discussion on how magic will be, I just basically want to impress her into thinking this games is fucking huge and potentially endless. Also magic is kool

Oh, I thought you meant workflow, not the built-in version Toady added. I would just chalk it up to new features being buggy.

Try stopping barrel production; move to pots and see what happens.

bay12games.com/dwarves/
Ctrl+f future
Pretty much all of the recent FotF replies have been dominated by questions about myth and magic. The first reply in the 3/31 FotF especially is worth reading.

You need to walk in the club like "WHAT I GOT A BIG FORT!" and she'll swoon.

Member discussion magic is stupid, show her some of the Threetoe stories, and the concept behind them where they are the sort of stories that DF is being built to generate.

Less a game, more a procedurally generated sandbox and story creation system.

Do I have to have plant gathering on for farmers to harvest crops?

no. plant gathering is picking wild plants outside that you specifically designate.

>tfw no loli to lash you

>and this is our son's room.jpg

Can I change the distance I move when holding down shift? Now it's 10 tiles, I'd like it to be 8 for reasons.

how do i make a site in adventure mode, can i edit its size?