/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

Other urls found in this thread:

xkcd.com/774/
reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4orhc3/dolphin_adds_usage_statistics_reporting_in_an/d4fdn8h?context=3
reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/4oxnae/addon_brings_game_boy_cartridges_to_your_android/
github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus/releases/tag/1.0
github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus/issues/33
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for DRM'd emulators

Piracy loses out when the effort required is too much. Its why piracy of closed systems is very low or virtually non existent. I don't see a lot of people pirating iOS and PS4 software, do you?

To the cockroach BSD fag in here talking about his 'trade secrets', 'illegal piracy' and all this bullshit:

""Can't keep your trade secrets secret"

Oh you mean those 'trade secrets' you violated in the first place by making this emulator in the first place, with your oh-so-clean-room-reversing?

You are quite the hypocrite.

"can't include closed source DRM to protect your software from illegal piracy."

You do realize the software in this case has as its sole purpose 'illegal piracy', right?

I see another narcissistic piece of shit trying to defend his scumbaggery and thinking that just because Nintendo/Sony hasn't sued his ass yet, that what he is doing is 'legal'.

There are many reasons why emulators should remain non-commercial, one of them is that you don't want to invite the wrath of the powers that be in this industry to invite a closer look at your emulators and how 'legal' it actually is. I will tell you upfront you won't survive a thorough audit/examination at all, companies aren't stupid and they can spot an IDA dump/verilog-to-C dump from a mile away. Stop acting stupid and coy."

>To the cockroach BSD fag in here talking about his 'trade secrets', 'illegal piracy' and all this bullshit:
I'm the BSD fag but I didn't make the post about trade secrets or DRM

>Oh you mean those 'trade secrets' you violated in the first place by making this emulator in the first place, with your oh-so-clean-room-reversing?
Reverse engineering is usually fair game. Please educate yourself.

>You do realize the software in this case has as its sole purpose 'illegal piracy', right?
Haven't companies used emulators to sell games they own the right to? I seem to remember someone using a commercially licensed version of an emulator to sell a game on Steam or something. That seems like a perfectly reasonable use to me.

>you don't want to invite the wrath of the powers that be in this industry to invite a closer look at your emulators and how 'legal' it actually is
Clean room emulators are legal. Creating software to mimic hardware is legal. Using roms you don't own is not in most places. I don't know who you think I am but I've never written an emulator or anything else using 'dirty' information.

Protip: that post was bait

It didn't taste very good and your line broke.

>>You do realize the software in this case has as its sole purpose 'illegal piracy', right?
>Haven't companies used emulators to sell games they own the right to? I seem to remember someone using a commercially licensed version of an emulator to sell a game on Steam or something. That seems like a perfectly reasonable use to me.

Not to mention people creating hardware kits that can run original cartridges, ROMs, etc.

They own the rights to those games, you don't.

You are a pathetic loser in your basement that thinks he is entitled money over intellectual copyright theft, they are a legit company with actual licenses and intellectual property rights.

I know narcissism is all the rage these days, but honestly, humble emudev, it is not working for you. When Paypal can shut your 'donation efforts' down at the drop of a hat and you have no recourse, you really are not all that' legit' yet. Better humble yourself up and stop pretending you have suddenly become an 'entrepreneur' lording over a new viable business model when it ain't. If it were, Apple Store, Blackberry World, Paypal and others would all be 'humoring' you like Google would right now, and they don't.

>all this posting about FF
>tfw I can ignore it because jrpgs are fucking trash and I would never play them anyway

Bystander fag here, what do I do if I think you're all retarded pieces of shit?

I get the feeling you think I'm someone I'm not.

>They own the rights to those games, you don't
And yet a purely non-commercial GPL-only emulator wouldn't let them use the emulator for selling the game(s) they own. I don't see what the point of your argument here is at all.

>Better humble yourself up and stop pretending you have suddenly become an 'entrepreneur' lording over a new viable business model when it ain't
People who have created emulators and have a platform to sell them are doing pretty well. I don't see anything wrong with the epsxse or drastic devs. At the end of the day, whether or not piracy falls into the equation depends on if the people using the emulator don't own the roms in the first place. I agree no one manually dumps roms but I'm sure a lot of the people who grab an emulator to play some pokemon or something do so mostly because they owned the games when they were younger and want a kick of nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that.

There are also lots of other spaces where people don't get involved because of the GPL and its viral cancer. I'd pay someone like $10-20 for a good RetroArch gui for example. I think RA's internals are great but from a user experience pov its fucking trash.

Way more people would try something like that if RA was BSD or permissively licensed instead and that would add genuine value.

Your arguments are self defeating. If emulators are only used to facilitate piracy they shouldn't exist at all, noncommercial license or not.

>I agree no one manually dumps roms but I'm sure a lot of the people who grab an emulator to play some pokemon or something do so mostly because they owned the games when they were younger and want a kick of nostalgia. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes there is, it's called piracy and the epsxe / drastic dev is profiteering from it.

Look at the terms of service of Paypal/Google/Apple/any service. This is specifically outlawed. Just because you haven't been caught yet does not mean you are currently operating in the right. You definitely are not 'legal', you are employing a loophole.

Nope, mods that are done with no profit motive are usually allowed by game companies.As soon as you try to profit off it, things become different and companies are within their full right to shut you down to protect their IP. It has happened to several mods that thought they were getting too 'smart' for their own shoes.

It has been the same for emulation.

You honestly don't get how things work in the real world and your narcissism and greed prevents you from doing just that.

Haven't court cases on PSX emulation specifically ruled that hardware emulation is not piracy, only distributing the software/games is?

>There are also lots of other spaces where people don't get involved because of the GPL and its viral cancer. I'd pay someone like $10-20 for a good RetroArch gui for example. I think RA's internals are great but from a user experience pov its fucking trash.
>Way more people would try something like that if RA was BSD or permissively licensed instead and that would add genuine value.

And that is exactly why RetroArch will never become 'permissively licensed', they do not want some scumbag taking RA, making some '2kool4school' tripe around it, put it behind a paywall and then sell it and lock up the changes.

You seem to think everybody is a sucker.

That was a silly argument that would never have existed in the first place had the guy(s) who started it researched the topic for 2 minutes.

Those court cases were a sideshow attraction, they didn't prove shit.

And the end result was still that bleem was bankrupted and VGS was bought by Sony. Get over it by now, you are not going to win this argument because the thing you routinely hold up did not set any precedents.

As ever in a piracy haven composed of mostly thieves, people try to skew the facts to fit their narrative. You say there was a victory for legitimicacy won there, enough people repeat it, that then becomes 'accepted fact', when in fact it isn't.

The same with this argument that 'emulation is completely legal' yet 99% of the emulators out there are two hairs away from incorporating official Nintendo/SGI/some other big conglomerate-copyrighted sourcecode. These 'myths' are about as convincing as 'you can download the game and legally play it if you remove it within 24 hours'.

yes, remember bleem

>they do not want some scumbag taking RA, making some '2kool4school' tripe around it, put it behind a paywall and then sell it and lock up the changes.

Why does this make you a scumbag? It adds utility and improves a piece of software. Why is it wrong to charge for that?

>special case that I didn't know could even exist and that I haven't even noticed before someone told me about it
>improved background of the PSX are the PC ones darkened and blurred
>those two minor difference are somehow the worst thing to ever happen in a port
user plz you're still just as full of shit as earlier today, if you want to complain abvout bad FF ports take a good long look at FF5/6.

>>they do not want some scumbag taking RA, making some '2kool4school' tripe around it, put it behind a paywall and then sell it and lock up the changes.
>Why does this make you a scumbag? Why is it wrong to charge for that?

Because you don't contribute source back in the process and you erect a paywall around it.

> It adds utility and improves a piece of software.

That is not enough. Source must be contributed back or else we are back to square one. Others put in most of the hard work, you did some chump change stuff and you think you are entitled to make money off it AND not give anything back. No, it doesn't work that way for GPL-licensed software. Fuck off. If you want that, stick to BSD/MIT/whatever.

>Because you don't contribute source back in the process and you erect a paywall around it.
I (theoretically) don't contribute source back because I want to be paid for my effort, not because I have a problem with making my source available

>you did some chump change stuff
Sure and I want the chump change. Alternatively if you feel its useless, don't pay for it or pirate it

>No, it doesn't work that way for GPL-licensed software. Fuck off. If you want that, stick to BSD/MIT/whatever.
Yeah thats the crux of the argument. The GPL is cancer.

>And the end result was still that bleem was bankrupted and VGS was bought by Sony. Get over it by now, you are not going to win this argument because the thing you routinely hold up did not set any precedents.
Okay, what impact does that have on the legal precedent set by the case?

I believe I have found the best way to hold this set up

now if only my hands weren't currently injured and going numb after playing in this position for a while

Also hard to get a picture without a third hand

xkcd.com/774/

Not much wrong with those ports other than the mobile UI and botched music loop. The new sprites are subjective. God awful.

>The new sprites are subjective.
Those in 6 I'd agree, the enemy sprites aren't even that bad if you can stand the smoothed look.

The field ones from 5 look worse than something from an RPG maker default tileset.

Trans lives matter

RIP Rachel

reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/4orhc3/dolphin_adds_usage_statistics_reporting_in_an/d4fdn8h?context=3

Ah yes.

Two action buttons, a dpad, and two auxillary buttons.
What more could you need for elegant gaming?

You fags really knocked the shitposting up quite a few levels for this thread.

>Post title
What's wrong, scared of letting the NSA in?

>Linked comment
Glad to see the defense force is out on patrol.
I personally don't use Dolphin, but I know a black guy, and I can imagine something seemingly obvious (and probably long running) hasn't been fixed yet.

Two sides to the fence though: seemingly entitled end users who only want the best or developer white knights who actually know nothing.

So how is that Wii U emulation coming? Can I play Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles X on my pc yet?

If you donate to his Patreon... maybe.

i'm morally with you user, but jesus christ you're an autistic retard.
seriously -- shut the fuck up. Leave legal matters to those who've actually studied law.
you do not know what you're talking about.
thanks,
everyone.

We need shitfilters to match the shitposting. Post 'em.

What is the best CRT shader?

The legal system is a scam, it's just how lawyers play it.

If you don't understand this you are the actual retard.

The 'law' is about one thing and one thing alone, money. And money can change whatever the law is at every turn.

It's happy cancer then since it keeps useless garbage people like you out that would otherwise want to abuse said software and fork it off and give nothing back in return.

In fact, you just airing these thoughts ensured that RetroArch will never, ever become BSD/MIT. Because if this is the mentality that comes with BSD heads, then fuck you all, I will side willingly with the 'cancer' instead then. At least cancer is viral and contagious and has a way of erasing you.

CRT Geom, Hyllian and Lottes at or below 1080p, Royale above 1080p. Downsampling is placebo and just messes with integer scaling. Don't bother with downsampled Royale.

You can also combine most of them for various effects. For instance, CRT Lottes has the best bloom, and you can use this with any of the other CRT shaders by having Lottes as an earlier shader pass and by setting hardScan to -4 and shadowMask to 0.

"Sure and I want the chump change. Alternatively if you feel its useless, don't pay for it or pirate it"

Except you don't get the right to engage in your scumbaggery ways with the GPL and not contribute anything back, which is why we use it. We know there are always going to be nefarious pieces of shit out there in society that would willingly try to ruin any good idea just to be a contrarian, GPL is a good balance against that kind of scumbaggery.

> Alternatively if you feel its useless, don't pay for it or pirate it

Ah, but previously you alluded you wanted the BSD license so you could add some DRM around it so we could not 'pirate it' anymore, so this is basically as convincing a cop-out argument as 'don't like it? don't watch it'. It doesn't work that way, little boy, sorry that you don't get to steal candy from a store and then you don't get a blank check by the candy owner to sell the candy off as your own with nothing being provided back in return. Back to school like the good little boy you are where you can learn somethign about morals and ethics.

There was no legal precedent set. That was the part where you were talking out of your ass, that was the 'myth'.

Not even the GPL has been successfully defended in court, most of the cases have been settled out of court with huge settlement fees going to the FSF. That does not magically validate your license, and niether was any kind of thing 'won' for emulation in general. You are pulling facts out of your ass.

Why are you constantly talking about Retroarch when the discussion was about payware emulators and nobody was even mentioning that emulator frontend?

What is the worst CRT shader?

You're a liar.

>> 146069000

"Way more people would try something like that if RA was BSD or permissively licensed instead and that would add genuine value."

CRT-Royale at sub-4k resolutions

It's happy cancer then since it keeps useless garbage people like you out that would otherwise want to abuse said software and fork it off and give nothing back in return.
First you say its useless then you say you want the contrib back. If its useless, why would you care? It seems like your underlying problem is you don't want people to use RA in any capacity to make money.

>Ah, but previously you alluded you wanted the BSD license so you could add some DRM around it so we could not 'pirate it' anymore, so this is basically as convincing a cop-out argument as 'don't like it?

You're confused. The only thing I alluded to was value adds like a good GUI for RetroArch. I'm not the one advocating for DRM, but if someone wants to add that then so be it. I doubt anyone adding DRM to an open source permissively licensed code base would get very far, unless what they added outside of the DRM had significant value, in which case more power to them.

>It doesn't work that way, little boy, sorry that you don't get to steal candy from a store and then you don't get a blank check by the candy owner to sell the candy off as your own with nothing being provided back in return
Oh okay, so you don't understand the difference between tangible and digital content. Maybe you should go back to school famlee

>It seems like your underlying problem is you don't want people to use RA in any capacity to make money.

Except the GPL would allow somebody the ability to do that. HOWEVER, what it doesn't give you is the right to have your cake and eat it too. When you distribute binaries of your modded RA then, you have to provide your changes back. That is only fair, and anybody who wants to argue against that basic principle, should not be taken seriously and should be laughed out of the room so you know your place again in society (nowhere).

Don't ask me to be a useful sucker for your insincere motives. I have to say, you are being a terrible spokesperson for BSD/MIT right now if by 'permissive' you mean 'being able to package up other people's shit and not give them anything back in return', otherwise you'd have no issue with the GPL as-is. I have the feeling you are a corporate shill that probably is licking every executive's ass in the hopes they will ever make you anything more than a middle manager. Sucks to be you son.

Sup OP. The phone actually has a dead display and I would still be using it if it was ok. Clip + PS3 controller + short USB + spare batteries + smartphone is pretty comfy. It'd be nice if there was a high performance phone with a 1080p display, OnePlus comes to mind. On that note, do recent SoCs fare well with stuff like PPSSPP? I tried running the final boss on Ys Felghana and it slowed down too much with a few enhancements.

Can't fit that into your pocket though

>It'd be nice if there was a high performance phone with a 1080p display,

It's called a laptop.

The Start/Select/PS button look hard to press, but otherwise this seems fine.

Fatty.

Unfortunately. Here's hoping better tactile feedback comes with emerging touch tech.

You'd need fucking toothpicks for fingers.

>mfw its front page on reddit
reddit.com/r/gadgets/comments/4oxnae/addon_brings_game_boy_cartridges_to_your_android/

hahahaha

Found the reddit user

>Found the reddit sub mod
FTFY

Why can't you fags stay quiet about your shitty site? Fuck off mang

>newsflash: hyperkin is shilling their new piece of shit everywhere

Wow, that's amazing, hyperkin sh...user, thanks for the update.

Take your meds and go to bed Daniel

> I'd pay someone like $10-20 for a good RetroArch gui for example

>paying 10-20 bucks for fucking WIMP
>Why the fuck doesn't RetroArch just use fucking WIMP why does it have to be fucking stupid and overcomplicated

>Why the fuck doesn't RetroArch just use fucking WIMP

Portability

F A T T Y
A
T
T
Y

GBE 1.0 is out
github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus/releases/tag/1.0

And all the feedback is negative.

But then this is a shitty company that doesn't care about having a good reputation anyway.

>this fucking guy
github.com/shonumi/gbe-plus/issues/33
Waifu2x absolutely unusable in any realtime scenario, right?

No, it's actually pretty fast.

Who is Daniel?

Why would you ever want to use a shitfilter like that?

The Mad Dutchman.

They're going to make millions at least in the short term. A nice little scam. Profit off of the hard work of game and emu devs.

>No, it's actually pretty fast.
What is actually pretty fast?
Needs to be like 10ms or less per image to be of any use for realtime stuff.

My wife and two kids like it

I don't care what your wife's sons like. It's eye cancer.

Is there a PSP emu that will let me play Patapon3 multiplayer?
I just want to arch all items.

Why is RetroArch Wii so shit?

>still no resolution saving
>controls constantly sticking
>crashes when saving or loading savestates
>arcade cores are basically useless as they can't load anything

And yet it's the only option for 240p emulation on a CRT TV. Or am I missing something?

RA isn't even that good.

Pretty sure all that is fixed now.

Nope. All these issues are on the latest build, 1.34, and they've existed for at least 2 years now.

crt royale

what makes you think some mediocre ugly as fuck game boy shell around an iphone is going to make millions?

god youre so fucking delusional. you have no concept of what actually is popular.

>what makes you think some mediocre ugly as fuck game boy shell around an iphone is going to make millions?

1. Nostalgia
2. Rich millenials with money to blow

Retron made them millions already, remember.

Well fix it yourself then Mr. Opensores

So, is that portalroms site really safe? The place it sends you to to download things seems pretty bad.

"Retron made them millions already, remember."

No it didn't, and you have no evidence to prove it did.

Stop being an annoying little shit, honestly. Nobody cares.

>2. Rich millenials with money to blow

Yeah, rich millennials who surely are stupid enough to want to fork out $60 on some ugly-ass looking contraption that makes their iphone fatter and allows them to play Game Boy games IF they can find the original cartridges for it.

I'm sure it will be a smashing success I am sure.

Oh, and it don't even download the game, it downloads torrents. Why is this on the wiki?

Never underestimate how dumb normies are. Reddit is for paid emulation, so surely Chad and Jessica will shell out $60 because the Game Boy was like sooooooo cool back when we were kids! Remember Pokemon? Who else used to reset the game over and over until Oak offered Charmander as the starter because he was the best????

Oh, dude. You know Chad and Jessica?

If you think people today can be arsed to go scavenger hunting for old dusty bitrotting cartridges, and you think you can turn this into a fashionable trend, I have a bridge I'd want to sell you.

Where is this bridge located, and does it come with a troll toll?

Yeah, the Retro Bubble just inflated by itself. Can't argue with the facts, man.

The menu in FF7 is nothing short of art.

Smugly linking to the latest tired horseshit spewed out of Randal Munroe's sad ass went out of stile approximately five years ago, champ. It's no longer considered witty, thought-provoking, or insightful.

Step it up.

This pleases me

I aim to please.

That is not a never has been how choosing starters work. I know this despite not having touched a game since Gen. II.

Get the fuck out.