/agdg/ - amateur game dev general

Redundant code edition.

Previous thread: > Next Demo Day (Nine)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

> Next Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam
Collab: pastebin.com/NEPv0pPC

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/Qi63yBxd

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/documentation/getting-started/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.unity3d.com/Manual/shader-SelfIllumFamily.html
heartfeltgames.org
trueyomic.tumblr.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

reminder

next to nothing, I can create the terrain and if I hard code units I can command them to move/attack.

first, make it possible to create units from within the game (with some function or so), not only by hardcoding them
after that, make it so you can group units and make them execute the same command (move, attack etc)

So how do I into an event scripting language for my game?
I'm doing Java and libgdx. I feel like hardcoding shit like "when eventid== 42, move character to this position and display textbox id 12" seems really stupid.

Do you have a system for designing units yet? Inheriting from a unit class? Having a unit script in Unity? If you have a system in place it'll be faster to design.

But think about what a unit is. Is it a collection of values (health, move speed, damgae)? How are special abilities handled?

Tons. I have a horde of manager objects that control most of my systems in my game. I woulf like to make them static classes but they work better with unreal this way

Also interested in this for c++/sfml

Progress:

Added pizzazz

Added a speech box for future conversations.
I'll probably change it so that the same character won't have more than one box visible at once.

someone posted a sprite a few days ago where a mech pilot strips and gets in her mech.
who are you and what is your game?

Cool! How does it work?

wrong pic

14th for AIDs and lack of lighting

Drawing this bitch is a ton of fun
Her chest just looks dull however
Literally 2 posts up

is it the same game? the other one was higher res and more animated

Like this.Its just for enemies to taunt you. Allies to tell you stuff. That kind of thing.

Each unit is a JS object with it's own properties. like type, position, health...

So I should first make it possible to build buildings. But I have to make buildings a thing first.
Only then I can move to units creation.

>make it so you can group units and make them execute the same command
this is already implemented.

i'd imagine it would be cool if you could assign functions to some table
then, when event with id 42 comes, you would call function table[42](args)
this way, you could do event handling in separate functions, or even files, for each event, and add then whenever if necessary without making spaghetti in code
that's what i would do if i had enough will :^)

>Forgot image
Im a fuck
Oh I thought this was what you were talking about, Guess not

reminder to keep your game cache friendly :)

Marmo is that you?

If you want to test combat first, why not just have a button that spawns units onto the screen at a fixed point, or a key that spawns them at the mouse location?

Would a good way to program a guard's sight with raycasting be to have several levels of sight, like close, mid range and far, and thren check for the pc to be in tall grass and shit? Like give it all a percentage and degrade that percentage as it needs?

Use blueprints

Virtually no progress, again. I spent the morning modeling low poly ships for my Jam game though.

I spent a lot of time thinking how to make a grade system that incorporates all the stats but unsuccessfully so for now it's only based on the number of notes you hit.

Also spend quite a bit breaking and fixing the idol dance move switching code.

her head isn't cute enough

Nope, Im a unknown here
Pretty much the only thing Im known for is posting a picture of a dog character I made last night

Yeah but how and when do you make it pop up?

Anyone know how to edit an unlit shader so that it takes in light but still keeps its old properties?

>dropping combos in your own game

it's better to do things in order, so I don't have to fix the functions later when I add more stuff

Lua

>that hair
lmoa

>tfw people remember your almost game ;_;
Sorry, though but at the point where I realised that making an online shooter would involve incorporating online features, I gave up on it.

I've just started working on another thing, though. Hopefully the low poly and lack of online will make it more likely that I'll finish something.
Reposting from dead thread

what do you mean by 'old properties'?

Raycast gives you a distance and postion of the player. Use that position to find the cover level of the player (however that is done). Now you have two inputs, a distance and a cover level. You can also do a cone of vision by getting the angle between the player and the guard's eye.

With those 2 or 3 input values, write some MATHEMATICAL function that gives you the desired results, then code it up.

she is super cute. I like this a lot.

Drills are cute

I have a gameobject in unity which contains the message ui.

The boss sends a message to the ui object with the text.
Create instance of the message.
start it with a y scale of 0, so its flat.
move its y scale to 1 over a set amount of time (so it looks like its popping up)
Add the message to a list.
if any other messages are in the list move them up by x amount so they scroll up.

thats about it.

What did he mean by this

Word. Thanks, man.

Ah, well you should probably take a break and go read up on anatomy and proportions and stuff.
Will help you break out of the my_first_manga phase faster.

Like those drills though, vidya can never have enough of them.

I just noticed that her expressions are popping up and getting stuck when they shouldn't. I'll have to look into that, again.

I wanted to show the "fail" animation, and show that missing notes affects the final grade.

I just want to be able to edit the toon basic shader to tint stuff based on the light its in but still work the same

That's adorable how upset she gets when you drop the combo. Also was that you posting like a million low poly ships just before?
Thanks, mate!

what do you mean by blueprints?

>Lua
do you maybe have a good tutorial or guide where I can read up on implementing Lua?

>That AA on the spaceships is fucking terrible, but the rest looks nice.
>I suppose none of that is yours, though.
Nope, it's all mine. I'll sort out the AA on the ships though, it does look terrible now that I look at it, it was a sort of unintended side-effect since I'm cheating pixel art and using Photoshop instead of a more 'purist' tool

I still don't understand. Obviously the object would be tinted by the color of the light. Could you put photoshop the image.

Thanks!
And yeah, that was me, though I only made 6 ships.

>trying to debug shaders

Google, the lua c api is simple and there's bindings for other languages if you're the javafag

like how the ball with the basic shader is darker in the shadow but the ball with the toon shader stays the same overall brightness regardless of where it is

stupid anime nonsense gimmick

PS elements 7 = [N] pencil tool
PS CS6 = shift+[B] pencil tool
none of the antialiasing that brush tool has, just pixel filling
make sure you uncheck texture and all that in Brush Settings
if it's a matter of resizing the sprite then go with bicubic instead of nearest, i think that prevents AA on resizing

Well that sucks. But I suppose it's good that you know when something is too big of a project for you.

Your artstyle seems pretty cool. Looking forward to more posts.

is the anime girl just here for pandering or is there more to it? make it smaller because it takes a lot of the screen for nothing and gets old fast

so you want some objects to be always lit, depending on the material?

Look at this if you're using Unity docs.unity3d.com/Manual/shader-SelfIllumFamily.html

I actually wanted to do the opposite, shading the unlit one but this doc might be a good start for me

That looks real fucking nice. Keep going!
You should get rid of the anti-aliasing on the UFOs/player, though. And maybe rework the shading on your containers, it's outright nonsensical.

You could just look for a lit toon shader. The one you have in your screenshots seems to be one that uses a fixed fake lightsource to do the shading based on the camera.

I found it. What is your game and where can I follow it?

HARD WORK AND GUTS
GANBARE user

image was too dark, reposting

testing some more baked texture atlas. trying my best to nail that ff12/vagrant story texturing and geometry

Every day is practice, Im going from absolute beginner

Is the circle lighting on the wall part of the desired aesthetic? It looks bad in the wrong way.

probably the lack of texture for the """crates""", the banding jarring when there's only a smooth material. I got too lazy

sorry senpai

Here is an /agdg/ related gif instead of some random anime.

I'm already getting rid of (or rather, seriously toning down) the anti-aliasing on the ships like the other user suggested

For the containers, I did have a bit of trouble with them. How would you suggest I do them? Corrugated metal should theoretically be the easiest thing in the book to do, but however I try and do it in pixel form, it ends up looking like some freaky optical illusion where you can't tell if it's going one way or the other.

the anime motivated me to work on my game but seeing this just killed my progress
I'm literally quitting gamedev to shitpost on this general because of your post.

Just by looking at ff12 screenshots, they smoothed between the pixels of the texture, which it looks like you haven't done. Geometry is hard to tell since it's just a square hallway.

Are you trying to emulate the style exactly?

nth for accidental spooky

What happened to that MML clone dev who used to post here like years ago?

that's a good point to bring up actually, to be exact I wanted that very rough, weathered and detailed look on the textures for ff12 while smashing it with vagrant story's very gridlike geometry

it's stil too early and far but I'm still trying to finagle my way to nailing it

Game Name: When It Hits the Fan
Dev Name: @trueyomic
Tools Used: Java + libgdx
Website(s): heartfeltgames.org
trueyomic.tumblr.com
Progress:
+finished the first lab level
+finished the lab bonus level
+added basic credits screen

Alright, magazines with various capacities are in and working.

any source of inspiration? i cant yet decide what should i start deving

play more video games

Looks like shit to be honest

I added hit detection, damage, knockback and death states.

What kind of knockback would you prefer in a platformer? Something that just knocks you back horizontally at a set speed? Being knocked back in the opposite direction of where the hit came from? Something else?

Well, look at the perspective on those containers. I'm no artist, but it's like the borders of the containers extend towards the camera, while the inner part is part of the background. You should at the very least get rid of the left and right borders, to make it look more like a real container.
Also, the metal plates are as bright as the border; you should darken them so they fit more with the inner part of the container.

Pic related: removed left/right edges, darkened metal plates (should also be darker when close to the top of the container, to fit with the other tiles.

nice stolen sprites

How many of you plan on having the AGDG logo somewhere in your game? At least as an easter egg.
Hopefully everyone.

Yes, somewhere

fair use

I thought it was obvious that they were placeholders. I'd have to be really stupid to use them since they're not even complete and anyone would recognize them

I plan to have more than one.
As well as super subtle /agdg/ history references.

it's in my gamma calibration screen

you shouldn't see the logo

The AGDG logo is going to be the big reveal of my game, then your character finds out he is no dev.

>You should at the very least get rid of the left and right borders, to make it look more like a real container
But user, I thought cargo containers did have those side parts (pic related).

I see what you're saying with everything else though, for the time being I'll get rid of the metal plates, change the shadow and the top part of the container and see what works.

Trying to make a roguelike with a friend who is doing the graphics mostly retro looking.

Create class called Weapon, then another class called Sword that extends Weapon.

Friend asked me to add fire sword to the game. Create FireSword that extends Sword.

Friend asked me to add Holy Swords to the game.

Friend asked me to have a Holy Flame Sword. I don't know how I would code that. Becomes a mess.

A few days later Friend adds sprite art for mimic Fire Sword to trick player. How the fuck do I even code that.

My friend also talking about a mimic chest I.e. a creature that is also an item. But, that isn't possible as creature class is separate to item class.

Learn how to program, then I'll take your shitposting about OOP seriously

>what is component model
>what is multiple inheritance
There are millions of solutions, you're either shit or you're using the wrong language for the kind of game you're making

Tbqh i wasn't going to add it, never.

Why are you pretending this is something you did when it's directly taken from a Youtube video that's been posted here multiple times, retard?

How should I handle simple bounding box collision?
I'm using Monogame but I want to have a system similar to Unity's(it's what I used before), where you can just say onCollision(Collider other){ }.
How can I implement the same kind of functionality with Monogame Rectangles?

>I thought cargo containers did have those side parts (pic related).
My bad, they do. If the side and top parts are on the same level as the corrugated metal perspective-wise, they should have the same color palette, not be lighter (either everything is bright and the container is foreground, or it's all dark and part of the background).

Good luck with everything! Your art is really neat and I'd love to try out your game, it's time we experimented with non-space themed SHMUPs (I'm guilty; my current project's in space because being a non-artist is easier that way).

Why not?

Dunno, just never though about it

SHE reacts to the way you play. SHE's pretty much the whole point of the game.