Total War General /twg/

>FAQs & General Info
pastebin.com/gZ1T9VCN (embed)

>Steam Groups
steamcommunity.com/groups/totalwargeneral
steamcommunity.com/groups/twgmp

>Total War Warhammer
Mods -- twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2191-Total-War-WARHAMMER-Modifications

>OVERCASTING SPELLS
Double click a spell (it needs to be a boostable spell and you need to have enough magic in the magic pool) to overcast the spell
There's a 50% chance that the caster damages itself though!

>QUEST BATTLE TELEPORT
Select your lord (make sure he isn't garrisoned or in a stance)
Select the quest battle (on the map or through quest log)
There's a button in the bottom right of the quest battle window that you can use to teleport for 5k gold (when the battle's finished you're automatically teleported back to your original position)

>GROUP ATTACK
Group units with ctrl + g
Select your group and right click the enemy
All your units move and automatically direct themselves to and engage enemies they get close to while maintaining formation

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/dnzGfG_6yws
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707514055&searchtext=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Here is the link to that rebbit post discussing damage calculation that someone asked for.

reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/4m9sdw/how_melee_attack_and_defense_armor_and_damage/

Legendary heroes when?

Gotrek and Felix when?

Krell when?

Genevieve Sandrine du Pointe du Lac Dieudonne when?

*makes the going to /gsg/ post*
*does the >playing on not-ultra post*
*posts picture of vampire chan*
*roleplays an orc*
*complains about how fantasy fags killed /twg/*
*complains about how history fags killed /twg/(?)*
*sigvalds good*
*posts a cap of dwarfs killing 7000 zombies*
*cares about GoT*
*comments on being a trve understander*
*rhetorically asks why pontus was added*
*complains about someone who posted a caps graphics quality*
*summons the elector counts*
*complains about an anime reaction image*
*posts an obscure screencap from a gunpowder /twg/ and never elaborate on context*
*responds to bait*
*responds thinking it's bait but it's just genuine autism*
*asks when tomb kings will be added*
*makes "we wuz tomb kangz" joke*
*asks what the most reddit faction is*
*declares that the hype is dead*
*asks what mod*
*radious mod*

>We'll never have another historical serie as good as Rome

All me ;)

also previous thread:

Old waifus

>80

Hypothetically how difficult would it be to mod the warhammer campaign to be more like the older games? I'm talking unlimited armies, not needing a general, more than 4 building per city. I know most of the "mods" are just glueing CA assets together or changing a few numbers.

I have some questions about the Empire as that is the playthrough I plan to do next.

Early game should my armies be stacked of nothing but Swordsmen and Crossbows with a few Spearmen and Pistoliers? Which are more useful for holding the line, Spears or swords?

Are heavy cavalry armies worth it? Outriders and Empire Knights specifically?

Do Crossbows remain relevant through the whole game, or should I replace them with Handgunners or artillery even later.

How good is Empire artillery? I had a dwarven army the majority of units being Organ Guns and Cannons and it demolished everything I faced.

What's the general consensus on early game conquering? Take Marienburg and then Wissenland early to get early income and better arty? Or should I slog straight into Brettonia, Tilea, and Estalia?

What units are must haves, what to avoid?

Thanks.

pretty tough, especially when trying not to fuck the already fucked-up ai

It tends to vary, with my elite handgunners and use of small units to distract the enemy so they can fire they rarely reach my lines, but when they do I kind of reach a logic gate.

>If the attack is widespread along my line, pull back the rifles and assess for a better position.

>If the attack is focused, leave the unit where it is and focus fire into that area from the remaining sides.

That tends to work. There's a reason my rifles get 200+ kills each every major battle.

Just like my japanese animes

All of them but empire and med2 are better but with mods med2 beats Rome.

Was talking about the tv serie

I think the main problem with slayers is psychology immunity just isn't that valuable. Terror could probably stand to be much harsher to make it more desirable.

I have never played as actual Rome in Rome II, which house do I pick?

So when I tailor a hero like a Necromancer, Banshee, whatever for income do I have to "deploy" them near a city or can I just have them roaming around my territory assassinating shit that comes through?

I have a lvl 20 Necro that has all the appropriate income skills and a lot of traits and follower...he is deployed but I have no idea if he is doing a whole lot....

>Early game should my armies be stacked of nothing but Swordsmen and Crossbows with a few Spearmen and Pistoliers? Which are more useful for holding the line, Spears or swords?
Forego the pistoliers. They aren't that great. Mix up swords and spears. Swords are better at going toe-to-toe offensively with enemy troops, but spears are better at holding lines, and holing off against bigger monsters and creatures.

>Are heavy cavalry armies worth it? Outriders and Empire Knights specifically?
Not full cavalry armies, if that's what you mean. Sticking in a few units of cavlary into a standard army can make that army infinitely more adaptive. Outriders are pretty great damage dealers, but for skirmish cav they don't have Parthian shot. They're still the strongest skirmish cav in the game, and powerful units outright. Empire Knights are shadowed over by Reiksguard and Demigryphs. The latter being abusively strong. Only needing a single building that even a town can host, makes Reiksguard generally better than Empire Knights.

>Do Crossbows remain relevant through the whole game, or should I replace them with Handgunners or artillery even later.
Crossbows will be better throughout the game for taking out lightly armoured foes, as well as having the ability to shoot over your front line. Handgunners can punch through armoured and otherwise tough units, and are more versatile when fighting starts around the map, than artillery. I tend to replace my crossbowmen with handgunners though,

>How good is Empire artillery? I had a dwarven army the majority of units being Organ Guns and Cannons and it demolished everything I faced.
Mortars are good, though nothing really stood out to me other than steam tanks, which technically-

The skill will mention if it modifies his deploy ability. If it doesnt it's full on passive.

aren't even artillery, or at least aren't classified as such.

>What's the general consensus on early game conquering? Take Marienburg and then Wissenland early to get early income and better arty? Or should I slog straight into Brettonia, Tilea, and Estalia?
People attest for taking Marienburg first, though it marks you as number 1 on Skaelings hit-list. Get ready for a fight, on higher difficulties, with as many as 4 full stacks coming down on turn 20. Other than that, it mostly depends on who is willing to engage in diplomacy with you.

>What units are must haves, what to avoid?
Most of Empires units are good, or at least have roles they can fill in armies. Pistoliers will pretty much never pay for themselves no matter the situation. Demigryphs, steam tanks and greatswords, tend to be referred to as the "most broken units in the game" in that order, so take that how you will.

im gay

IF OUR LORD IS T'BECOME KING I'm THIS fucking close to losing my shit

>reach point where your faction is top dog
>can't be bothered to finish the campaign
It hurts. Occasionally I'll get one rival faction that either pisses me off enough I'll keep playing to finish them off, or is a legitimate threat, but 90% of the time I know how the game will end by the time I hit turn 60 or 70 and just lose interest in seeing it through.

>try hard difficulty
>its too easy
>try very hard difficulty
>its too hard
its bullshit how everyone declare on you for no fucking reason, sometimes you dont even know you're even at war with them until they raze one of your cities

Go into your campaigns with the goal of finishing the campaign objectives being more important than building up your power base.

Either turn battle difficulty up on hard or turn it down on very hard then. Find a middle ground.

Happened to me earlier while playing as Egypt in Rome 2. I'm shitting money despite being at the stack cap with laughably expensive armies and all I'm fighting is eastern spearmen and low tier cav.

>Kislev
>3 stacks fighting in Norsca
>just killed Archaeon in the siege for his capital
>get the news that norsca got eradicated and trade flows again
>prepare to clean up the rest of khorne/nurgle in the area
>suddenly Osterland who im allied with sieges my city
>immediately mobolise everything but 1 stack to run down from the end of the world to get revenge
>they fucking took Kislev by surprise
>Kislev has 18k income
>kick him out after 2 turns of occupying kislev with the garrisons from all the surrounding cities
>take his only port-city
>another army stands at Erengard and Nordland sends a stack who im neutral with
>attack the stack but oddly enough Nordland joins in on the battle and I randomly declare War on him automatically
>fuck them both up
>try to negotiate caesefire
>he wants trade and reestablish the alliance
>no interest in the southern relams so i accept

Holy fuck, allies backstabbing you is the worst, I will keep those southern towns garrisoned now.
To think that I took on all of chaos on my own for them...

Diplomacy in the TWE2 games is literally worthless, don't even bother.

TWE2 ?

funny story

VC campaign, i over extend, and a few stacks are retardedly out of position

fuck what do i do

>ask carl for peasu
>get money from them and peace
>get armies in position next turn
>push them into frog land

thanks dumbass

Total War Engine 2, the one Rome and Medieval II uses.

youtu.be/dnzGfG_6yws

Here's an awesome battle I had yesterday using the VC

what's happening user ?

>tfw no Russo-Japanese mod for Shogun 2

If you want to simulate that war, just build a bunch of Ironclads and sink them on the otherside of the map.

>Implying I want to play as the Russians.

What clan should I be for my first MoS campaign?

Thinking of Tokugawa, its what I normally played in vanilla an TROM

play Unlimited Ashigaru Works clan

Played multiple Empire campaigns now and I'm tired of summoning the elector counts. Who should I play next?

I dunno, Oda seems too meme

Well, would you look at that.
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707514055&searchtext=
Is it any good?

Vampire Counts

BRING THE NIGHT

Balthasar Gelt

Diplomacy has never been total wars strong suite, if you want that play gsg games or hope CA eventually get around to improving AI. Tw games are more about managing a nation at war anyways treaties are basically temporary things with one guy while you concentrate on conquring others. On harder difficulties it's basically pointless since they ai is basically hardcoded to hate your guts then.

What do you name your units /twg/?

Otomo or Hattori then

final offer

Yeah. The "issue" is that each of the AI are programmed to win, and a lot of people share win conditions, so eventually people will declare war on you because they need a province that you have. Basically, both the player and the AI need to fuck each other over in order to win. You can have staunch allies but eventually you'll probably have to betray them.

>Watch Jon Snow get baited hard

Top kek, that part with the shields and shit reminded me of Red Cliff + The Warlords

I had a tonne of fun playing Chaos. Just be prepared to run halfway around the map at times.

Play dorfs and read all the lore about them and all their grudges. Then declare war on everyone including yourself because everyone winds up in there at one point or another. But then never expand out of your home region for 500 turns while being at war with everyone. Then go attack a single stack and destroy it. Spend another 500 turns in you single city. Repeat until you win.

I like paradox's warscore and rivalry/alliance systems. It seem kind of gamey but they end up working out much better than CA's shit.

I haven't read the books yet but are the battles, fights, and political situations actually as unbelievable and retarded as in the show? I keep wondering how almost all of the main characters haven't been lynched by a mob years ago in the setting.

True, but factions still also gun for you specifically on high difficulties, I've had nations send stacks chasing me no matter how bad of a idea it was for them.

I know in the old games like Rome and med 2 I basically allied and buttered up guys who didn't border me or share victory objectives but still bordered my enemies, that way you kinda stayed "out of their sights" for a wile,at leat till you became a juggernaut empire, and at that point the world is yours anyways.

The show diverges pretty hard from the books since about the middle of season 3. The show is essentially Radious: Game of Thrones now

>The show is essentially Radious: Game of Thrones now
>Heavy House Bolton Armoured Heraldic Pike Spears (light infantry)

Not near as bad, political situations can get a bit dumb but nowhere near the books, for battles they are usually done well. It's even explained why tywin is able to surprises stannis at the black water and why stannis catches the wildlings unaware.

Done.

Holy shit this mod.

Yeah, I like RPing and having my bros but in the later games my staunchest of allies betray me even though I'm not threatening them at all. I tried to be all buddy with the Greeks to start in R2 as Rome and they hated my guts and warred me anyway.

Kek, that's actually a good comparison.

Show itself basically went downhill after season 4 as well.

>go into legendary mode
>fight a hard uphill battle
>outmaneuver them in a rome 2 town battle
>capture the victory point
do I need to hold it for 5 minutes or some shit?
>victory screen pops up
>"ah fuck it, let's run them down for a bit"
>3 seconds later my general dies from a fucking friendly-fire sling
what a fucking world

>nowhere near the books

Show* I ment, sorry.

I have a vivid memory of playing rome 2 as massalia. I bumrushed the barbarian city I shared a province with before they could pump out stacks of levies. I had my phalanxes sprint to their town square while my skirmishers. As I was capturing the city squared I made a line of infantry at the choke point to hold off a FUCK TON of gauls. My line barely held and I got the victory screen. Pretty cheesey but the ai cheats so lul

Yes I actually kept allies for a long time and finished moat my short campaigns with them still there.

Impossible pretty much now, atilla is even worse than R2 in that regard, I've had factions send stacks chasing my hordes across the world while their own lands where getting razed by other ai factions.

how do you like the mod so far ?

i'd like to try it but I'm a scrub and I'm afraid it will be to hard for me to manage

I'm trying to work out what clusterfuck I should plow into. My natural enemies (Kitabatake hate me the most) are inaccessible without getting some military access. Seems to add a lot, the provinces are a bit overwhelming but it could be comfy.

I was playing as Chosokabe last night, and fuck. Winters are comfy as hell.

Terror is great though. Granted in 1v1 fights it just makes them do a mini rout earlier so that you can break them quicker but in a group fight that helps so much in causing chain routes.

Speaking of cheesy, people bitch about op units but I don't think anything has reached rome 1 pikemen levels yet, particularly the germania baseline spears that had it who could win the game for you, and that was a lowest teir barracks unit you could get right away anywhere.

Cheesiest thing I've done was in either Empire or Med2.

Empire:
>Maratha vs Mughal
>Sieging their settlement
>Run my infantry to the town hall
>Have my men take the building and use their buildings as cover before the bulk of their army gets to the centre
>Turn an attack into a defence

Med II:
>Crusading against Mongols
>Max level fortress
>Take their outer gate, try to distract their army with our cavalry
>Have a unit holding ladders take one of their inner walls
>They are mongols and have no infantry
>They are locked out of their own city and slowly die to towers

how many ranged units should I have in my empire armies? Crossbows are cheap as fuck but they only get like 20-30 kills a battle, seems like wasted slots.

In this commentators opinion, it depends on who you're fighting.

I usually have 2-4 ranged units, replacing crossbows with firearms as soon as I have them.

feel like i'm being memed here with how far red eye it from chaos starting area.

my ass is getting weary

Is it ever a good idea to engage in a losing battle, do some damage then have your units withdraw?

I just tested a general and 3 pistoleers vs an orc hoard. I ran my horses around a bit, did some damage and even wiped out their cavalry then i told everyone to with draw. The pistoleers suffered no casualties but my general was left with 1hp on the campaign.

I'm wondering what would happen with a mass artillery army that leaves the map as soon as the enemy closes.

guys, how do I use dwarf irondrake? they are slow, short range and does not fire most of the time. How do I make them work?

I love this game.

I say 4-6 is a good number for a stack, depending on if you're fielding any artillery. Crossbows and Handgunners can do a lot of damage, but they require smart positioning to not be constantly obstructed and useless in battle.

>i won with 3 slingers who got lucky and killed the enemy general in melee
holy shit i did not deserve to win this

HAHAHAHA THE ENEMY CAVALRY TRIED TO FLANK ME AND RAN HEAD FIRST INTO NINJA

Glad to see they finally got around to porting Rome 2 to the Gamecube.

they didn't. i'm playing it on my windows xp laptop my grandfather gave to me when he upgraded to a phone

>not playing on Ultra unit-size

Devastation.

still feels weird just walking past kislev this early into the game. ended up sacking jakove before assaulting the orcs

The original suicide bomber.

Kislevs more trouble than it's worth. For lore purposes, you're supposed to fight them, but honestly it's a waste of manpower, when more lucrative opportunities are untapped in the mountains.

Just started a Vampire Counts campaign and saw Mannfred's skill tree. How do you build this fucker?

Chaos plan: beeline down to dwarf city and bash them first, nip that shit right in the bud.
Any problems with my plan?

Some essential magic, lightning strike if you want it, then full melee monster.

>mountain passes narrow as fuck
>multiple walled settlements blocking the narrow passes
Is getting caught part of your plan? It's not a bad one though.

Are etheral units good?
Also when building armies should i make one with top tier troops and weaker one or balance them?

>tfw Ramsey is the greatest military ruler of the show

Won the lineal championship from Stannis, then almost destroyed Jon and the Snows before Sansa cheated with reinforcements.

Liked that we finally got a proper battle from GoT. They've been pussyfooting too long.

Shame its going to be Dragons, Fire and Zombies from now on.

on normal you can make anything work
ehtereal units are near indestructible against non elite/non magical units
banshees are the strongest fighter hero in the game

They're good at some things, not so much at others.
Army composition depends on what you intend to use them for. Both approaches work well in different circumstances.

This is what I like:
-unit replentishment and something else so you can get lightning strike
- four death spells so you can get Bjuna, Doom and Darkness is real nice during sieges
- Raise Dead, the passive for when you cast, and Gaze of Nagash are good, Gaze doesn't really become viable until after you get the dragon, so you might hold off
- the rest can go into melee stuff, prolly want melee defense instead of armor
- don't bother with the lore master stuff

What about hard or higher?