Life is unfair and shitty because we don't understand God's plan

>Life is unfair and shitty because we don't understand God's plan

Is this a cop out?

Of course it is.

You can't have it both ways. Either God's plan is incomprehensible to us (not an unreasonable claim) /or/ he has given us comprehensible directions on how to live in accordance with his will, claiming both at the same time is errant foolishness.

Right Click
Hide Thread

You didn't have to post, Reddit.

No the shitty part only comes in when you hold God being highly benevolent and that this world is the best case scenario

Way to strawman. You assume that life is unfair and shitty because you do not know God's plan. You have not faith. All the evils that have been committed against you and that you have committed can be washed away like dirt off a soiled shirt. Nothing that is good is ever easy, you also have to want to be cleansed. You can't be cleansed without being repentant and forgiving and it will be hard.

Positing an anthropomorphic God is already such a ridiculous contrivance that any further extrapolation of that train of thought is an intellectual tragedy.

Pray tell, how do disease ridden, starving children in Africa go about cleansing themselves? Who do they forgive and what do they repent for?

Now reddit is supposed to be pro-religion?

I can't keep up with the memes I'm afraid.

www.reddit.com/r/christianity

>muh dead babies argument

weak appeal to emotion.

>weak appeal to emotion.

Aka, Christianity

Africa has far more problems than disease or starvation. They forgive their parents/ancestors for stds, they forgive their governments for corruption, the world for destructive foreign aid, themselves for beastiality, for the atrocities they commit as child soldiers, etc. It's not hard to think of people that have committed wrong. Sure, they will suffer with disease and starvation, but at the time of judgement it will be far easier for them than it would be for you or for me.

It's a understanding.

As people run around in fear and panic asking how can people do this, or how can people do that, therefore how can we trust anyone, lets create borders and divide our self against them...all of this lack of understanding and fear is why there is divisions.

> we totally don't understand God's plan
> but we are sure his plan is good for us!
You can't be more retarded than this, just can't.

/thread

>You can't have it both ways. Either God's plan is incomprehensible to us (not an unreasonable claim) /or/ he has given us comprehensible directions on how to live in accordance with his will, claiming both at the same time is errant foolishness.
That's not true.

I can't explain practically anything about the nature of thermal dynamics, the internal structure of the human body, or the chemistry of cells, but I can still tell someone not to stick their dick in a toaster.

> it's just god's plan, bro! XD

This, honestly. Why the fuck do Christians assume that God's plan is, in any way, shape, or form, good for them?

>thinking you can comprehend the will of god
>kek
> its Lila

Because that's one of their core beliefs.

Acording to them, God is omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent

But none of those attributes constitute benevolence. God could literally be only interested in saving the direct descendants of the first Christians or some wackadoo bullshit but they claim to know what God plans on doing in general terms, but also use "we can't understand God's plan" as a cop out.

It's fucking mindboggling.

> omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent
It doesn't guarantees his plan to be good for you.
Imagine if Hitler was omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent and you are Jew.

If anything, if you can't even comprehend shit, you shouldn't blindly trust God at the first place. Just a common sense here and a bit of a caution.

Obviously an omnipotent being would be very good at lying to stupid rubes in the desert
Come to think of it, we only have his word that he's omnipotent and all that. For all we know he's lying about that too

>making shit up about the bible

>making shit up

You mean like what God could literally have done? My point is Christians base their religion on the word of a being that is supposed to have killed of 99% of the biosphere once because it pissed him off.

>because it pissed him off.

huh? there's more to sin than it just makes god mad

What's so hard to understand though?

The world is going to do a number on a ton of people, you are advised of not only how to avoid it but of all the pitfalls that lead to the madness.

Like what, nerd? No matter how harmful the sin was, world-scale genocide is still escalating the harm.

I'm not the here to debate the legitimacy of The Bible, since I don't believe in a god, but it's specifically stated in The Bible that God loves humanity.

Except the Bible was written by the humans who are supposed to not understand God's plan.

>No matter how harmful the sin was, world-scale genocide is still escalating the harm.

what? do you just say things and not think about them?

Are you going to, you know, respond to any of my points or something similar anytime soon?

And I think god is lying through his teeth. Does the bible say anything about that?

Christians base their religion on living according to the teachings of Jesus Christ and the belief that He is the ideal (an unattainable ideal) man in thought, deed, and spirit. That's why saints are a thing. That's why martyrdom is a thing. The path of a Christian varies in individual circumstance, but the way has already been shown. Provided you believe in Salvation, Christianity is intended to teach you how to get there and help others get there as well. It isn't as convoluted as you're making it out to be.

i'm waiting for you to make one first.

>No matter how harmful the sin was, world-scale genocide is still escalating the harm.

what?

do you have any reason to believe it?

>God could literally be only interested in saving the direct descendants of the first Christians or some wackadoo bullshit but they claim to know what God plans on doing in general terms, but also use "we can't understand God's plan" as a cop out.
>My point is Christians base their religion on the word of a being that is supposed to have killed of 99% of the biosphere once because it pissed him off

Pick either. I made the post about harm because I assumed based off your one sentence replies and memetexting you were talking about sin and it's ability to harm humans by saying "there's more to sin than it just makes god mad". Looks like I misunderstood. Wanna clarify your point?

>Not understand God's plan

You have the theological comprehension of a hillbilly preacher playing with snakes in a backwood shed in the Ozarks. Stop being so simple with your argument.

>Christians base their religion on living according to the teachings of Jesus Christ

Who claims all his authority from God as his (figurative) son. Are you seriously making the claim that God isn't the root of Christianity?

But humans can't understand God's plan. Are you objecting to that statement or just preening about your intellectual superiority?

>Proverbs 3:5 promises, Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

No. I'm saying you are being hyperbolic and it makes you sound like a child.

The entire point of believing in God is to have faith in him.

The key point is faith. Faith that The Bible is Gods word. Faith that Jesus died for your sins. Faith that God loves you. Faith that God even exists.

Again, I'm not Christian, so this isn't my belief, but believing in God is entirely based on faith. A belief that if you jump in the water, God will catch you.

No. We just don't see the big picture. In comparison to GOD we're like toddlers; and though some of the things we have to go through in life and terrible, and though there is suffering in the world it doesn't mean that there isn't a big picture or goal that GOD is working toward.

That's what Faith fundamentally is. Belief that GOD is good; and wants us to be good and love one another.

Assuming you meant to respond to here, I'm honestly wondering: in what way am I being hyperbolic? I mean, the Bible pretty much sums it up as: don't try to understand, just trust God. It's not a huge logical leap that we shouldn't try to understand because we can't understand.

Seriously just seems like your preening here, user.

the first point is unfalsifiable. there's nothing to discuss

the second you have yet to explain. i can't tell if you're being disingenuous or you genuinely know little about something you have strong opinions on. and there's no point even talking about what sin is if you still stand by your unfalsifiable first point that god could have made everything up.

what i'm doing is getting you to at least explain your view since it's a dead end trying to explain the christian view.

"God's plan" doesn't mean anything when you use it in this discussion. It's an abitrary concept that has no concrete substance in this context. Humans know what God requires of them; what he asks for, how he feels about us, and what we can expect when we live our lives certain ways. That is what we know, and it's enough. We don't know His intentions or thoughts or when He is going to do certain things. He's not predictable, nor is he even comprehensible as anything beyond Alpha and Omega. That's the beauty of it. It's so far above our heads that only a speckle can make the difference between hairless monkeys flying on a rock through the cosmos, to a race with a miraculous purpose for existing.

Ironically you don't even "know" that much, since it's all self-induced emotion about some blatantly false myth book.

It's like a double mystery, it's impossible to know anything about a god that probably doesn't even exist at all. So just go with the gut feeling because otherwise you feel sad.

>Ironically you don't even "know" that much, since it's all self-induced emotion about some blatantly false myth book.

What a great refutation of his points!

fpbp

As much as Buddhist Enlightenment is.

>refuting points
It's not really refuting, more like a rejection of the premise, with a counter explanation, then a policy statement.

Maybe it rings true, maybe not, but it's on the same tier of just asserting things. I prefer to reject arguments out of hand than to address them since I don't want to give the impression that I am humoring the other side.

No life is shitty bacause that's the nature of life
Quit being stupid and maybe think about these questions for a second or two before you come here and make a thread

>hateful cultist blown the fuck out when confronted with decent human beings
>being jealous of le upvotes

kek

>no mortal can understand God's plan, to claim otherwise would be hubris
>however we somehow know with complete certainty that he's totally benevolent because reasons

>we can't know what God is thinking
Correct
>we can't look at the world and come to an understanding of his nature
If you believe the latter you must be stupid

In the sense that God's instructions he left behind to us are incomplete

Then stop saying "God is good"

Its shitty to create free will

No, but it is an acceptance that free will isn't real and isn't compatible with an omniscient, omnipotent God.

>understanding my religion will make life not unfair and shitty
who would have thought he'd say that

Why "accept" free will is not real? Why "accept" that free will is not compatible with an all powerful God?

If someone accepts free will, they have the choice to do so, and if someone accepts free will being compatible with God, that also seems to be a logical conclusion.

>le no true christian meme

Kill yourself

What makes you say he isn't?
Does what does he owe you?
When did he ever promise you a good life?
He said if you are good in this life he will reward you in the after life. Life is hard for some and that's just how life is. Don't be a whiny bitch.

The point is, what makes you say he IS?

For example if God is omniscient he can see the future, which means the future is inevitable and unchanging.

>believing in God is entirely based on faith
it's Catholic teaching that all reason points for God, who is the ultimate source for all raeson

You missed the point both when you assumed life is actually unfair and shitty just because it appears that way to you, and when you implied that understanding God's plan would improve your quality of life. Not only that, but why should you assume to know what actually good better than literally God? Are you omniscient? Cause it seems to me like you're just a retard complaining to a college math professor about how you can't ever understand calculus except to the power of seven trillion.

2/10, try harder next time.

>the belief that He is the ideal (an unattainable ideal) man in thought, deed, and spirit.

not just the ideal man. Literally God and man made one.