/dfg/- Dwarf Fortress General

It's metal n' magma time

Last Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.03
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/jkplca.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>open up caverns
>dwarves hunt giant cave sparrows, draltha and rutherers; interesting and valuable animals that might make great livestock
>never hunt crundles, which are annoying and not valuable at all

Some guy was asking for people to dwarve in the game, if you are still there, im in for it.

Also, what the fuck happened to the last thread?

>what the fuck happened to the last thread?
Dead at 63, a senseless tragedy. I miss yoko/clipart/contemplative face bumps.

Oh, and elk birds, let's not forget those too. A source of valuable eggs and antlers, and the little buggers do their best to drive them to extinction instead of annoying creatures like crundles.

Jesus, we do need more activity here right?
How about someone starts a legacy fort, or something like that

>no noble secretary of the interior with the ability to institute moratoriums on hunting endangered cavelife

all I want is a siege

>a noble which allows you to control which animals are hunted
Won't that be mandatory once Toady implements capturing animals alive with lassos and shit? You know, to distinguish between the animals wanted dead and the ones wanted alive?

>How about someone starts a legacy fort
Wow, it came back around fast this time.

>go away on a three day trip
>two threads die prematurely
Shit, I didn't realise this general was so dependant on my clip arts and thinking faces.

Trufax, I was sleeping and pow, dedthreds.

dubyateeeph page 9 already

>page10 AGAIN

It was inevitable.

It's me, I'm still here.
Tell me what you want and I'll dwarf ye. Still taking requests and ideas for !!science!!

Is that a succession fort? I'll offer my shitty above-ground fort to anyone who wants. The site is nice with lots of wood and a river. There are seven dwarves. The elven caravan has just arrived.

my.mixtape.moe/jkplca.zip

I think we need more than just a premade fort. Rules and shit.
Choosing an embark, arbitrary rules, things like that.

Did the new update fix being able to eat sentient beings?

He would have mentioned it, so probably not.

darn. What about the bug where you need a battle axe to chop down trees?

Fixed.

That's fixed, stone axes work again

>arbitrary rules
No surface trees, no surface rivers, extreme temperatures only.

>cliparts
but that'd piss off that one autist

I'm not sure that's a bug, it's not really clear what the intended behavior is. You couldn't eat sentients up through 34.11, then suddenly you could in .40 with no mention in release notes or change logs, and then later in .40 (or maybe in .42.01?) you couldn't again, also with no word about it. Someone asked him about it in a FotF and he indicated that he didn't even know the behavior had changed without saying anything about how it was supposed to work.

>set up trapline for valuable cave animals
>crundles keep on hitting it
>capture and tame (and of course slaughter) so many crundles that my fortress have achieved expert level training with them
>they still keep coming

It seems silly that we can't, especially since its part of the elf lore to do so. I'm pretty sure its meant to be in the game.

Question: do you use play the base game or mods like the ones linked in the OP?

>use

Masterwork

Make a shrine to Armok and sacrifice anything to him.
We can decide other rules by rolling.
>next ending in seven decides the first of the next 3 more rules

yeah I first wrote
>do you use the base game
then I wanted to change to
>do you play the base game
but I forgot to cancel use.
Now can you answer that question?

I make nails and cartilage heal over time and increase the LUST_PROPENSITY of goblins

Well, at least through 34.11 you would get the "No, that's disgusting." message if you tried, implying that Toady had explicitly coded the prohibition against it. I think now you just lick it, like other nonfood items. Maybe Toady had a change of heart on the matter somewhere in the long stretch between .34.11 and .40.01 and then forgot about it. It seems more likely that he forbade it, forgot why and how, and then has accidentally toggled the restriction a couple of times while tinkering. Whether or not we should be able to is another matter entirely, I'm just talking about Toady's intent.
For what it's worth I agree that we should be able to. Though casual practice of cannibalism/consumption of sentients should probably have some kind of consequence beyond satiating your hunger.

So I edited the raws to make rabbits trainable.
I made a bunch of war rabbits, but now instead of staying in the pasture, they run around my fort, following my dwarves in a massive herd.

Is this normal for war animals?
Will they still breed/eat?

Both.

Yeah I made guinea pigs (or cavies) trainable, that was a lot of fun. You can assign them to specific pastures/soldiers/chains, and they will still need to graze, though caretakers will feed them.

Trained animals of any kind will try to follow their trainers, and sometimes leave their pastures to do it. If you assign them to dwarves as working animals then they'll try to follow those dwarves, leaving their pastures to do it.

How do I get them to stop following the trainer?

From some of the stuff he's said in DF Talks, I feel like he's interested in allowing the player to do what they want without the character's beliefs strongly limiting that.
I could see him doing something like letting you eat sentients whenever, but it makes your character feel terrible about it if they don't find that sort of thing ethical, and then people treat you badly if they see you doing it.

Cages and chains, or just put your pastures somewhere that your dwarves don't pass through often.

People freaking out about cannibalism should be a thing if they're of a civ which is like that, but goblin and elf civs?

In legends it clearly describes elves devouring people they defeat.

You can keep an unlimited number of rabbits in 1 cage, and they will never die of hunger right?

>trying to capture a male cave crocodile so that I'll have a breeding pair
>elk birds keep filling up my fucking traps
At least they'll be extinct soon.

*childish giggling*

Yes and no. You can fit an infinite number of creatures in a cage, but caged grazers will die of starvation. You can remove the grazer tag from rabbits in your save if you want to.

Thread needs more Armok.

>hating on elk birds
They're squishy avian gold, user. You should be thanking Armok for the great bounty he has bestowed upon your fort.

I thought so too until I realized they were grazers.

>avian gold
You think we'll get creatures that lay golden eggs when the mythology update comes out?

*more childish giggling*

That's actually pretty cool.

I know this is usually a thing from the forums, but why doesn't this general have its own multifort (whatever it's called).

That's really not an issue. They can hatch a clutch faster than they'll starve to death.
It would be cool if "X that births Ys made of Z" was one of the possible results of the muth generator. It might be too optimistic to hope for something like that early on.

Tickle her nutsballs.

we always try but it fails

Bump.

Damn pixels taunting me with little errors I only notice days later.

>9 captured and tamed war jabberers
>6 jabberer chicks

They say you only truly fail when you stop trying.
A lot of people have more free time now, it could actually work

>A lot of people have more free time now,

m8, for good or bad, the influx of new people during summer is a reality, we can only hope they are not specially retarded and colaborate with stuff like this

Bazoople

Could someone post combat logs ilustrating the new combat mechanics, I cant play right now, and that stuff is brilliant

How does the multi-fort work? Do we take turns with it?
I'm going to have to introduce some of my creative waste storage rules. I like a field of corpses and rotting waste surrounding the golden statues which flank the entrance to my kingdom.

When I make a pump stack, where do dorfs stand?

% % ^^^^^^^^^^

^ = place where I want water to go

>find "loamy sand"
>designate it as sand collection area
>invalid sand collection area
Welp, so much for my glass industry. Apparently you can make glass from loamy sand.

*can't make glass

If you mean a screw pump, then the left %. If you actually mean a pump stack, then a whole bunch of places, because a pump stack is a whole bunch of pumps.

Yeah, we should roll for the parametres of creation and then between those that wanna play it.
Then he plays an ingame year, and passes the fort to other person, all while he periodically posts pics and stories here.
It would be great, because this is usually slow as fuck

More accurately, they stand way the fuck away from your dwarven fusion plant because they don't need to do anything to run even a dual pumpstack going up 6 or 7 levels if you've got 4 waterwheels hooked to a pump for power.

Do upright spike traps deal damage to anything that walks into them, or are they safe to pass through and only do damage when you fall into them?

I was thinking of putting them around my livestock as sort of a spiked wall.

Only when you fall on them, but what's the point? They won't restrain your livestock or anything trying to get them in any way.

>layer upon layer upon layer upon layer upon layer of fucking gold

building armor for a squad of dorfs alone would be enough to trigger a forgotten beast at this point

Outside of strange moods or modding you can't use gold for armor.

fug

Wouldn't it be Combat Logman?
>he was horrified near a magma

>Wouldn't it be Combat Logman?
Then the wordplay wouldn't work that well anymore.

Combat log mod when

>human
>human man
>human woman
>giant human

This is awesome.
I love it, user, keep up the good work.

post tilesets!

Is it possible to use dwarf the rapist with the new version?

Not until DFHack gets its binary addresses checked for compatibility, I don't think.

ok thank you

I have a shitty AMD CPU and 8gigs of ram. It takes me like 10 minutes to gen a 250 yr world. What should I upgrade to run df faster? What would you suggest? I have 200 bucks

DF seems to use a lot of CPU when making a new world, some memory too. 8 gigs is fine though and upgrading would have no difference since the game isn't 64 bit yet.

A cpu upgrade *may* help you but you'd also probably have to upgrade your motherboard.
Also you might have trouble finding a good cpu for 200.

meant for (you)

How much raw editing do you have to do to make other races properly playable in fort mode? I tried playing as elves but quickly gave up when I realized that without further editing they can't mine, cut trees, or even embark with tools to do so, so all you can do is shit outside and hunt with wooden arrows

Maybe humans or goblins would be easier

>i tried playing as elves

4 gigs is the most RAM DF can handle, since it's a 32 bit game. As for CPU, DF isn't multithreaded so you'll want something with as much single-core power as possible - I don't know what good options there are right now.

It gives you deeper insight into their filthy heathen ways when you try managing them yourself

single threaded 32bit game plus you'd need money for a mother board = just save your money and do something else while it generates

>forgotten beast shows up
>winged blob made of snow
>fights troll
>kills troll, but not before having wings torn off
>attacks child
>child kills it

That's how elves live. Horrible, isn't it?