Let's just invade Afghanistan lol

>Let's just invade Afghanistan lol

More proof of how much of a joke the Soviet military was, right?

As opposed to the US military?

Soviets trying to invade anyone that didn't invade them first is pretty hilarious.

They lost to Poland man, Poland

at least the US hasn't collapsed due to the aftershock of the war.

Just 19 trillion in debt and rising, we gucci tho senpai

>Soviets
9 years, 1 month.
14,453 killed (9,500 combat casualties, 4,000 wounds, rest from disease/accient)
53,753 wounded
264 missing/defected
Heavy material losses: 333 helicopters, 118 fixed wing aircraft, 1400+ tanks/IFVs, 11,000+ trucks, 400+ tube artillery.

>OEF coalition
14 years, 9 months (ongoing)
2,380 US casualties, 19,950 wounded
455 UK casualties, 2,188 wounded
158 Canadian casualties, 600~ wounded
All other coalition states: negligible losses
Relatively minor equipment losses, Aircraft losses are mainly helicopters crashing and a handful from enemy action, only fixed-wing combat losses are a handful of Harriers getting blown up on the ground at a airfield infiltrators.

>Soviet objective was to take control of Ukraine
>Poland gets their shit pushed back all the way to Warsaw
>""Defeat"""

We've accomplish this by going in with the most expensive military in history. Also notice that we've been there more than 5 years longer and it looks unlikely that it will end favorably for us. Our military is doing an excellent job killing people while taking few losses of life and equipment. But this is being done at the cost of having the resources of our entire nation being siphoned from the people to the military and military contractors, while the nation's infrastructure crumbles.
At the same time the threat of terrorism, which our occupation of Afghanistan has not alleviated, is turning the nation into an inward looking security state that's increasingly reliant on unsustainable levels of bureaucracy and welfare to keep the people happy as their rights are slowly eroded and they see the services the state is capable of providing well decrease.
When the US collapses, it won't be due to the aftershock of the Afghan war, but that war will be among the contributing factors. The same was true for the Soviets.

Reminder that the mujahedin was financed by spear chucking natives that sent them spears so they could attack truck tires with javelins

I wonder why AQ isn't shooting down our aircraft with surface to air missiles user.

The war hasn't ended yet.

It wasn't an invasion, they were invited by the closest thing there was to a legitimate government of Afghanistan.

The Bolshevik plan was to conquer Europe as far West as possible, including Poland and right on thru to Germany.

Poland, newly independent after 125 years, outnumbered in every category with the country completely fucked up from war having raging back and forth across it, handed the Bolsheviks their ass and saved Europe from Communism.

Yes that's why Russia is superior.

They have a smaller population than us, are poorer, and we can kill more of them in a war than they can us per casualty.

That's exactly why Russia is the world's only real Hyperpower.

Brilliant, can't believe I didn't think of it myself. I'm renouncing my US citizenship right now on the Russian-designed Internet and can't wait to fly in three days to Russia on Russian-originated airpower through a global airspace designed around Russian standards and speaking the standard global language, Russian. Indeed looking at my Cyrillic keyboard right now, it befuddles me that I have with such pointless difficulty adapted it to print Latin characters. Too bad I didn't learn Russian, a language offered at every secondary school in California and a suggested way to fulfill college minimum requirements for admission.

...because they were still in the throes of revolution and didn't even have a functioning economy

>saved

Wow, that's not what I said in my post at all. I never said the Russians were better in any way, or were a super power, or that we wouldn't beat them in a conflict.
I pointed out that, despite performing better than the Soviets in combat and suffering fewer losses, our occupation is still suffering from the same long term issues and appears to be heading in the same general direction. It's costing us a lot financially and in political capitol. And when we leave, it's likely that the Taliban or something similar will come to power again. And none of this has fixed the problem of Islamic extremism/terrorism either.
Might want to work on your reading comprehension m8.

Also keep in mind that while the enemy still has roughly the same equipment, the US-led Forces are technologically FAR superior to the Russians.
Consider also the scale of the conflict: 115.000 Soviets against around 13.000 NATO troops.

No they were baited into invading by US covert activity

>Afghan communists overthrow the government and start violent repressions after the previous president decides he doesn't want to be a puppet, he is murdered for this
>Afghan communists kidnap the US ambassador, he is then conveniently murdered when Russian "advisors" order a assault, all of the surviving kidnappers are executed immediately to prevent them from talking

"Russia was baited! It was a legitimate government!"

Other way around. Russia overthrew a secular dictator and installed a Russia-friendly puppet government that pissed off the locals so much they launched into a massive goatfucker rebellion.

LITERALLY the same thing Americans did in Iraq.

I remember there being a documentary on both Afghan wars, where veterans of both wars were asked who was the stronger enemy, and they all answered the Soviets because the Russians kept diverting irrigation streams to starve them out of the countryside.

I'll have to look for that again.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Honestly America barely did anything in the 2001 war. They just bombed some sand (literally) and didn't even put armored units on the ground, most of the action was conducted by the Northern Alliance so America shouldn't really be taking credit. It was lame as fuck and I'm not even sure if it should be called an invasion.

Supposedly early on after the invasion, a lot of people thought that the Americans were actually the Soviets back for another go.

Of course claims like this were also made of German soldiers going into villages in Russia/Ukraine and the locals asking them who the current Tsar was, or Americans in Vietnam being greeted by hill tribes as liberators from the Japanese/French, so take it with a helping of salt.

I think some people really should realize that Afghanistan had a nonstop war between the late 70s and 2002. It wasn't "war with the Soviets, then peace, then war with the US". They always had a war going on.

What? Do you have a source to read about that? Sounds amazing

This. Afghanistan was a failed state for most of the 90s, and eventually the Taliban took control of most of the country. The UN refused to recognize their government, though, so the international community was powerless to stop them as they did things like publicly execute women who violated sharia and blow up the Bamiyan Buddhas.

Meanwhile, they were never fully in control of the country, so conflict was ongoing the entire time.

I liked Bitter Lake.

This is Veeky Forums, what were you expecting?