Dwarf Fortress General - /dfg/

I did not see a thread up so here is the thread.

No pastebin stuff.
Too bad.

Other urls found in this thread:

bay12games.com/dwarves/
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
webchat.freenode.net
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158868.msg7061167#msg7061167
youtube.com/watch?v=49b7fUI7AEI
poal.me/5ok93m
strawpoll.me/10574419
stackoverflow.com/questions/35664861/how-to-target-windows-xp-in-microsoft-visual-studio-c/35666906#35666906
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Squad#Equipping_Soldiers
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP is a cocksucker and is to lazy to check the archive edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.04
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

3x3 staircase

Honestly OP how hard is it to
>open the archive
>CTRL + F dfg
>open pastebin
>copypaste

64bit version is out.

How to get an assload of vampires in the world at worldgen?

Willing to deal with FPS explosion.

Guys it's too early here to shutpost, stay on /v/ if you wanna do that.

So, our succession fortress : Meatpit or Goryhole ?

Looking to pump water to the surface. I have the magma sea pierced into a 1-wide hall w/ bridges.

This is a lucky embark, I have infinite white sand lol so green glass corkscrews will lead me to victory in making my first ever pump stack and I don't want to lose dwarves.

Please lend me your wisdom, /dfg/

Yeah, i fucking lost already.. ill record i guess

wew

I like Goryhole.

Well, there's a test 64 bit windows version up on the announcement thread.

>bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158868.msg7061167#msg7061167
holy kek you're right

3rd year into my high-savagery fortress, the only creatures I've seen are the same like, six giant fireflies. I can't even kill them cause they're always in the air and my marksdwarves refuse to kill them.

I was looking to capture some giant creatures and taming them but I can't get any other creatures to walk in. What's wrong with my embark site?

No other creatures will spawn as long as those fireflies remain.

You should try stationing your marksdorfs beneath the flies before you give them the kill order. That might bypass any pathing issues caused by them being in the air.

i haven't played DF in years

i never got very good at it

how active is this place nowadays

how to pierce magma sea
and does it just lead to hell then

>how active is this place nowadays
it floats

most of the time

The general is slow but persistent and not dead unlike some other generals (/cbg/ has died and /civ4xg/ has died a couple of times, /rlg/ is almost dead too for instance but is revived when a new game gets popular enough)

Only way to get through the magma sea is to go through one of the adamantine pillars. Those lead to hell.

You can also reach hell through the underworld portals found in goblin fortresses, but those tend to be broken.

Yeah I knew about the adamantine pillars, I thought you had another method

The brexit shit was today so that no doubt lead to a different activity push.

what

>/cbg/ has died
too good for this world.

To that guy who was going to make some suggestions - I'm a bit late, but fuck you.

I'd want to see some life/community oriented magic. Something along the lines of a village healer or wise man (or maybe the god directly) who bestows charms of fertility, good health or luck, simple wards, blesses crops. Some spells like ones that ensure a certain party's success in negotiations or war. These might just be placebo spells also.

Magic focused on emancipation, breaking shackles, dodging blows.

Magic which lets you seal yourself away for centuries inside ice or some other prison, able to be awoken by a stumbling adventurer. Doing this to a fort would be... Interesting.

Certain gods follow rune-based magic. With all their power manifesting from certain inscriptions.
Tattoos also.

I'm sure there is room for exploration of the idea of contagious or sympathetic magic.

Innately magical trees or gems.

Magic which is alive. That is, it is the essence of a living creature which is held against its will and used up, but if released flees back to its god.
/autism

ahahahahahahahaha omg luv

>PowerGoal9, BETTIN' ON FORGETTIN', (Future): You make a cabin in the woods, decorate it with hides and get a table with utensils so that you can dine like a king.

>tfw Toady sort of completed an important power goal

I'm probably going to be happy with how magic is implemented as long as it's kept rare. It should definitely be a form of esoteric knowledge descended from gods and myth related entities at world gen. Practitioners should only adopt one or two followers in their entire life if any, very few beings should have magic affinity (multiple levels of affinity for learning could be interesting), and I hope they don't necessarily have to be sentient. Like having a god that appears in the form of a leopard occasionally generating sentient magical leopards in the world if none currently exist. These may or may not be hostile depending on spheres.

That's the great thing about the idea of a "fantasy slider" - quantity of these elements is a widely contested desire but also easy to fix, so we will be able to tailor that to our liking.
I'm quite sure I would enjoy high-magic worlds more at the moment but I'm glad toady is planning on allowing a lot of range.

haha, these little shits are getting fucked by my Spartans.

Despite the thread being dead I have to say; Nice anubis, I remember what thread that was from, just like a dog finding his 'buried bone' or am I wrong? It could just be a good jackal pic for all I know

Have this exceptional engraving of twodog , humorous take on twocat

So what's the advantage of 64?

As much as you want it to be. create content and have fun
Im here senpai, I agree with almost everything you say, I didnt think of tatoos as runes or glyphs, its pretty rad.
remember, post your name if you want to be included in the thanks you
Thats what I intend to suggest, that its rare, among other things

So, yeah, Im back, hows gloryhole doing.
>remember, I was Urister

twice more bits than 32

gotta get those bits

Lmao 64bits

>64 bit version supports full 16x16 embarks

wat

I would love for tattoos to be a thing.
Also Malazan style warrens should be possible, especially if elements of the gods are open in the raws.

Oh and STALKER monolith. Would be sweet to have a "primordial shard" or something which oozes a corrupting power and has a group of fanatic protectors.

No name required.

Expanding on the god magic, I feel almost obligatory that the gods will have the same, or even more mental complexity than dwarves. The reason for this is allowing the god to interfere with the earthlings in ways he wants. If he is a caring god, he´ll propose contracts with people to give them magic, and probably bless zones on the world making them infused with so much energy that they become alive, or something like that.
Or it could be a corrupt god that creates demons just to fuck up with us, and require sacrifices just to keep us alive.
This should all make sense in the myth part, as in, we already saw in this video(youtube.com/watch?v=49b7fUI7AEI 19:00)
There are things happening before the dawn of time that get made and destroyed, and cursed from gods.
If there were some god-psychologycal background behind those decisions, I would be erect for years.
What Im trying to acomplish with this bigass sugestion in the forums is a concise and well structured job detailing all aspects of magic the players should lnow and care, and how they should be implemented in the game using the standars toady wants.

>probably bless zones on the world
I wonder if they can use this idea to overhaul good/evil biomes. A God of Death or something might be associated with a specific site on the overworld and an "evil" biome radiates out of it with effects depending on the god.

>Demonic God biomes spawning Demons out of surface magma pools
>Benevolent Gods of nature creating big areas where non-evil beings can recover from even the most grevious of wounds, plants bloom extremely quickly, Fluffy Wamblers thrive
>Gods of Magic creating areas where Mana flows freely and spells and magic effects are greatly amplified, wild creatures are magical, depending on the magic created at world gen

There's a lot of room for that kind of funky stuff.

I dont know what malazan style warrens are, let me check it out..
Hmm, It makes sense, Im picturing it as a way of drawing energy from another plane.
Although very cool, the problem with that is that it would be very hard to balance in-game for technical reasons, like, what exactly gives you the power, a god?, then its contract magic, were the god wants you to follow their ethics or commands you to a mission,
If you draw energy from actual people in the other plane without giving anything in exchange, the mages would eventually kill the other people in the plane, If we consider mana as energy(whch I consider best choice)

Tatoos would be badass, and would make sense as glyphs or runes oneself ports.
The problem I have with rune magic is the same as the other types of magic.
If we consider magic logically, ´´a certain action is made in exchange for the adequate ammount of energy´´. That means equivalent exchange, Which is a good balancer by itself, and adds a point of realism that benefits the game.
The problem with that is that runes have the advantage of making magic available to non-users of magic, because runes are considered as an impression of magic the magician places on an object or person, buuut, they should still drain energy to function their intention (strenght bonus, or something like that). Unless the magician had the contract of a god that allows almost infinite energy, for the rune to god forever, we have two possible cases:
-The magician that implant the rune places a big initial reserve of energy on the rune, that makes it work for, say, 10 years, after that, the rune deactivates, or starts draining energy were it is placed. This is not a problem if it is placed on, say, a shield, but if its placed on a person, it could eventually kill him, by constantly draining his energy, until another magician recharges his tatoo or removes it.

Sorry about all the rambling, it helps put my mind on its place about this stuff, and external input is always good. Its the first suggestion I make on the forums, and i truly want it to be somewhat trascendent.

Oh, the shard part exists, Toady even comments the ´´primordial egg shards in the video I placed before
That makes sense, as if minor gods could only have influence in certain parts of the world

>Fisherdwarf interrupted by Great Horned Owl
>whatever
>he starts idling for no reason now
>not injured from combat logs or anything
>zoom to location
>he's managed to dodge up a tree or something and can't path down
Now what?

Cut down the tree.

grab that axe and d t enter

>the spinning finger lime wood log strikes the fisherdwarf in the arm, shattering the bone!
Thanks.

>getting experience for bone doctors
>fisher survives anyway

best option you had unless you wanted him to dehydrate and die

I guess so. Fuck owls.

>Someone feeds him raw Rat Weed while recovering
Maybe next time he won't be so retarded

>not knowing that wood is an evil, elven infested beast that will attack your dorfs at every occasion

the only proper dvarwen way to deal with thesegreen branched devils is magma

Malazan

The magic system in those books also has an entrenched series of positions, based off a deck of cards, which gods fill with chosen mortals. For example, the king of death, queen of death, knight, etc.
Also, magic users don't necessarily have the consent of the house whose magic they draw from.

It's good to have some big rambles to read. I thought toady might have been thinking that way with the egg shards, so that makes me happy.

poal.me/5ok93m

>using a poll site invented by some edgy 15-year-old neonazi memer cuck faggot from cuckchan
fuck off

strawpoll.me/10574419
>having autism

>using a /v/ meme
you literally get worse with every post

>autism is a /v/ meme

it was literally invented by the known brit manlet cuck tripfag of /v/ in 2009

that's why i post in this general

>a brit manlet cuck tripfag on /v/ invented the word autism

yes

you fucking autist

nice /v/ meme dude

>this general right now

>64 bit is out
>nothing but shitposts about memes

So is the current version up on the front page of b12 just plain broken for a lot of people right now?

You need a 32bit DLL to get it working - the link to Microsoft's download page should be somewhere in the forums.

>serpentman fisherman vampire

Holy shit, this must be the biggest ruined town I've seen.

What should I put in a barracks?

>bed, chest, cabinet, armor rack, weapon rack
>one of each for every soldier
Is this ok?

No it wasn't. You could've just built a stair.

If you are using windows xp there might also be a bug where C++ visualizer might not work, so you need to make a few changes.
stackoverflow.com/questions/35664861/how-to-target-windows-xp-in-microsoft-visual-studio-c/35666906#35666906

>using a 15 year old OS

I bet these people were running 3.1 well into the 2000s as well

Lets see how well the bunny army can hold off the undead.

Thanks man, its really encouraging to know people like reading what you post, If you want to ask more questions or say more suggestions just ask? Want your name to be in the ´´thanks´´ part?

Why do you guys feel the need to collect suggestions? You know anyone can post on the suggestions forum, right? You don't need other people to legitimize or consent to your suggestions.

Its just to know what people actually want from the magic system.
I have my own Ideas about it, but If I want to make a good sugestion, Its good to have feedback from people to actually know what people want.
Besides, I have to investigate the different kind of magics in the world, and sometimes other people know stuff you dont. I didnt think about tatoo magic before that user told me about it, but now it will be mentioned

What you're trying to do is what the suggestion forum is for. People make suggestions, discuss them, provide feedback about what they want. In your example of tattoo magic, if user wants to suggest it there's no reason he needs a representative to do it for him under the guise of some imagined consensus of an anonymous image board.
If you want to know what people actually want, make a post on the suggestions inviting the discussion. You're not going to find out by collecting rambles from anons in a general that's died 3 times in the last 2 days.

Maybe I dont want it to die 3 times in 2 days again dude

Ah but you see, I couldn't be arsed making a bay12 account and monitoring those threads when I could just hang out here on my phone and discuss stuff. I am glad he asked for suggestions, and it isn't hurting the thread any.

>died 3 times in the last 2 days
So it's good, yeah?

I'm surprised the 64bit release happened so quickly. Is that it? Is it done? Does it make a difference?

98 was the popular "stable" OS, IIRC - the people still using XP are the ones who got burned by Vista and then missed out on 7 for whatever reason.

Hell, I'm currently on 7. That's two versions behind, and there's a free upgrade to 10 available. At least those other guys have an excuse.

>upgrade

Not well. Not well at all.

Don't pretend that was your reasoning, one has nothing to do with the other. We can discuss the game or any aspect of it without needing a standard bearer to carry our flag to the forums for us.
I don't object to the discussion. I'm just trying to wrap my head around what you think you're accomplishing. This is far from an ideal place to do what you claim you're attempting to do. The place that you want to eventually deposit the fruits of your labor is explicitly for what you want to do.
My theory is that you lack confidence in your opinion, but you want to give it anyway, and want to be able to couch it in other peoples' opinions and say "This is what the community wants." Because you're too chickenshit to just say what you want if you aren't anonymous.

As user said, we still need a name for our legacy fortress. So far "Meatpit" and "Goryhole" have been put forward. What do you people think?

>there are people who prefer square tilesets in this general right now

And what is your reasoning for acting the way you are now? Did you have a bad day or some shit? At least this guy is contributing something to the thread and trying to bring people together by letting them express their ideas, rather than giving out bullshit psychoanalysis of anonymous posts for the sake of being a cunt.

meatsticks

Hey man, preaching to the choir there. Why do you think I'm two versions behind despite the free upgrade being available?

It's not like you're able to accidentally not upgrade, after all, not with the shit Microsoft is pulling.

Yeah it sucks. Had to disable that on my parents PCs, they have satellite internet and 10 downloads almost destroyed them.
Glad it got some publicity recently but it won't stop them. The average person will never notice the crap that they do and will never fight it.
/defeatism

I'm having a great day, thanks for asking.
I've been posting in /dfg/ for a long time, and played DF for even longer. I've made and discussed many suggestions on bay12's suggestion forum. Neither I nor anyone else here needs some self-important child's magnanimous offer of representation on the forums, and we don't need someone collecting our posts for a group suggestion in order to have a discussion.
See? We're having a discussion right now.

I bet you wear socks with sandals.

There's always one fucking faggot in any given squad who'll only wear gauntlets and boots. Is there a guide to how to make dorfs wear shit properly?

[m],[e],[r]

Assuming you're telling me to set equipment to replace rather than over clothing, I always set it to that.

So how do you make pit traps without trapping your dwarfs?

Can you build/remove a ladder or something?

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Squad#Equipping_Soldiers

>Neither I nor anyone else here needs some self-important child's magnanimous offer of representation on the forums
You actually have the gall to call others self-important when you're bragging about how long you've been here as though it makes you some form of authority, then you went on to act like you speak for everyone else and their interests in representation.

I'm sticking to this thread and not going near the forums, and I thought it was fun to make suggestions to help that guy out in making what would be a single large collection of ideas. I apparently wasn't the only one either. The only one with a problem here seems to be you, acting unnecessarily rude out of nowhere even though nobody asked for that input from you.