incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

msinilo.pl/blog/?p=668
youtube.com/watch?v=cRz1GZjhvB8
youtube.com/watch?v=CRyLJej2sRs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>C++ on a one-man project
Just say outright that ever finishing a game is a scary thought to you.

If not C++, then what?
C#? Python? Something else?
I honestly have no idea where to start

They're memeing you. C++ is literally the best place to start and only gamemaker nodevs think otherwise. C++ is the industry standard and extremely versatile for any project.

Any higher-level language will do. Choose the fastest tool for the job. Choosing a low-level one is asking to never finish anything.

>gamemaker nodevs
You engine devs will never stop shitting up the thread will you?

Oh, C++ it is then
Thanks lads

Stop perpetuating this dumb meme. C++ is not a "low-level language"

>C++ is the industry standard and
BECAUSE THE INDUSTRY MAKES TRIPLE-A 3D GAMES WHERE THEY NEED TO SQUEEZE OUT EVERY BIT OF PERFORMANCE AND CAN SPEND THE MAN-HOURS TO DO IT. NEITHER OF THOSE ARE TRUE FOR INDIE GAMES

Wait a minute, where's your game?

Quoting for truth. Seriously, learning C++ is great for understanding how computers actually work but if you're working on a team with a single digit number of people you're not gonna get fuck-all done in a reasonable amount of time.

I learned on C++ and I'm saying it's a bad idea.

Reminder that Godot is C++ and MIT open source.
You have no excuse for trying to make your own one man engine when you could just be using Godot.

Listen to this guy.

If you want to make a game, then pick up GM or Unity or a scripting language. If you want to develop an engine and want to have a better understanding on computer science then go for C++ with SDL.

If you want to learn programming while you learn gamedev use monodevelop and c#, it provides access to the graphical and other tools as well but you have the option to decide whether or not to use it.
If you want to just make games I suggest game maker and shaun Spauldings tutorials.
If you want to makes games in 3D theres. Unity and UE4, if you have a relatively old computer use unity, otherwise use UE4 it has a graphical programming tool to make programming easier.

it's not something great, but it's something

>using an engine that is so NIH that they made their own scripting language

>Blueprints make programming easier

It's relative, friend. C++ is most certainly lower level than GML and higher level than assembly or machine language.

Easier than purely using C++ in UE4

It's best to start with the basics. It makes it much simpler when you inevitably run into the limitations of a pre-made engine.

Managed to get the boss movement a little less erratically.

He will spin in a random direction when shooting the laser.

Also the shield will deflect damage and prevent damage.
(Next step is to add a bar to show if the shield is overheated)

How do you do that projectile deflection? Looks really cool.

C++ with a premade engine is OK, engine deving in order to make a game with C++ is retarded

Can you explain why without using memes?

That didn't require any work at all. Comes built in with Unity's physic / collider system.

Planning on finishing up a few more pieces then releasing this shit for AGDG devs to sell on a marketplace somewhere.

Looks nice

nice rocks bro

Best way to handle movements and collisions for a 2d top down game in GM;S?

I've been using Box2D so far but I realized I should probably not use that and code my own collision/movement code.

What makes it so hard to finish games using C++?

not knowing how to program at all like 90% of AGDG

Creating an engine from scratch is time consuming (for a 1MA) and you'll surely waste more time working on the engine than working on the game itself (especially if you wanna create a 3D game engine).

Also there is no point rewriting another engine when you can get the same shit using something that already exists.

Writing all the engine features you need including data tools by yourself.

Are you having problems with box2d? I wouldnt change systems without a compelling reason.

Who /spacejam/ here?

It's time consuming but it's nice having so much control over your project. You'll never know another engine as well as you know your own.

>Also there is no point rewriting another engine when you can get the same shit using something that already exists

Skill building.

Ignore all shitters getting triggered by c++.
They whine about never finishing a game with it while dropping GM & Unity Project #3232423432 every day.

In the long-term it's the best way to finish a game, and no language is going to replace it anytime soon.

Not specifically but it wasn't my choice to pick it. I followed HB's RPG tutorial series and he went with it for his tutorial game but I'm 99% sure he decided to use this because he didn't want to teach us how to code our own collision code considering it's taught in his paid lesson.

His words were "we'll use physics for this course because it's faster". I know that wasn't the real reason.

don't fear the pointer.

Ive noticed amateur devs tend to overestimate the importance of skill building for making games. Its fine if your goal is something else though.

rolling a custom asset pipeline and engine architecture is a progress killer for the uninitiated

How difficult is it to transition from unity to unreal?

I'd consider myself a good programmer and I mostly program with C# at the moment. I know C++ as well but I haven't got much experience with pointers (I get the idea behind them, just haven't written any programs with them) and I haven't used C++ in like 2 years at all.

How similar is the workflow between unity and unreal?

It might have been faster to implement which is rather important for games. Dont worry about it right now and maybe reconsider after working on necessary features.

Rumour has it you need to learn a replacement for the standard library just so you can interface with blueprints friendly code, or something of the sort

Thank you Chinese owned Epic games!

I didn't find it difficult at all.

Epic put out tutorials specifically aimed at ex-Unity users so you could check them out.
Don't prejudge blueprints, they are useful.

>custom asset pipeline

Just make all your assets global.

why does the planet look that shitty?

some guy on /v/ made a thread about remaking mighty no. 9 in GM and some people there are willing to help him
the idea is to slap Comcept in the face with a free game that is equal/better to their half-product
thoughts? you can search thread on /v/

STL is not suitable for games, every serious dev uses an optimized or custom standard library

>thoughts?
it's not going to get past the name/logo

And if it does, godspeed on /v/ agreeing which MMX to rip off.

Watching the Digital Foundry videos on MM9 is just fucking depressing.

How can gamedevs have that little pride in their work

>just install boost
People who shit on STL have never actually sat down and realized why it's good.
And the ISO specifically pick features they like from custom libraries and add to it.

got any performance tests to back that up?

Let me roughly paraphrase my friend moot on this one:

"Any community or project held together by spite is not going to last long"

Is any tool useful for game dev on sale now at Steam?

I think there is rpg maker on sale.

As someone who didn't really follow Mighty No 9 closely and just vaguely heard that it was a major failure, can someone explain what happened? I'm kinda curious.
(I'm glad I didn't give them my money back then. Though, well, I also gave Armikrog $45 and I'm too scared to even download the game after all the - apparently justified - backlash it's gotten.)

>all this programming elitism
>none of you has produced any software of worth
>you're wasting it all on shitty pixely games
How does it feel being the king of mount shit?

>elitism
don't fear the pointer. and for the record, don't make a 600 case switch statement; one of the 6 million reasons undertale is terribly crafted

How does one even write something like that? Its sort of impressive in its own way.

I fear for you user.

hey man if it works it works and it worked out for him big time.

>complains about elitism
>shits on my pixels

What's the best way to handle hit detection by fast moving objects in Unity?
Currently I've simply attached a box collider on my characters sword and just check whether it has collided with the enemy colliders during the attack animation. The problem is the sword attack animation is quite fast and sometimes it triggers only when the sword has gone through the enemy collider and sometimes it works perfectly. Any ideas?

Undertale has a 600 case switch? How in the fuck did he even manage that?

easy, invisible hitbox.

This anime is right. You're part of mount shit, user.

why not just raycast?

artless detritus

ever played street fighter?

It's a relatively simple game which received lods of emone on kickstarter and was delayed several times
'Make them cry like an anime fan on prom night', a quote from their most recent trailer, made 99% of their already angry audience even madder
The graphics are lacklustre (even for UE3) yet it struggles to maintain 60fps on current gen consoles, getting locked to 40fps in areas with reflections, with graphics options which literally do nothing.

are you using continuous dynamic detection?

My last job had me take over systems built like that and convert them into proper OOP. Though I've never encountered a switch statement that large.

You can try using continuous dynamic option on the rigidbody or using some kind of raycast/capsule cast etc. I would probably do the former and make sure that your physics step is fairly high (probably 60+). Raycasting is more difficult to tweak or make special shapes.

It's way too hot to dev ;_;
Guess I'll focus on idea guy'ing and conceptualizing things to add to my game for today.

reminder to never black shill media and be wary of "publishers"

gamemaker studio is 50 percent off right now, just picked it up

>boost
>gamedev

a game standard library needs to be small and fast, not big and bloated

msinilo.pl/blog/?p=668

>2010

What's the best music making program for someone who knows nothing about music?

standard STL isn't getting younger

An internet browser which you use to find a musicbro who works for free

Oh yeah I don't know if you know this or not but just in case you should generally make sure that you are using a trigger for this kind of thing. A rigidbody is also necessary for mving objects and generally should be continuous dynamic for fast moving objects. IsKinimatic property is also important but I forget which option you will need so read the tooltip.

None of this would have happened if he just added the 1000 year old loli protagonist like I told him. Let this be a lesson to everyone.

Your chart isn't even c11.

I don't want to depend on other people.

so where and when do you use a hash map?

musician for 10 years, give me ideas and I'll give you a 60 second midi

Then buy a recorder or something and start practicing.

cute and peppy, lighthearted but relatively fast beat.

so like cheerleading? what kind of picture do you want me to paint?

So I have to add a rigidbody for every single bone in the enemy model armature and the sword?

A sunny sky and field of flowers with a couple of men buttfucking.

HITBOXES
I
T
B
O
X
E
S

What's the C++ equivalent for Linux? Is it Java?

I heard that Starbound runs better than Terraria even though it looks more detailed because it's running C++, where as Terraria was coded in C#.

I just finished testing both Terraria and Cave Story+ and Terraria runs at slowmo on the lowest settings, while Cave Story runs at a higher resolution with prettier graphics and yet it runs almost silk-smooth. Was Cave Story+ also programmed in C++?

This except the final part.

No, you should probably only add one rigidbody at the root of the character heirarchy and one at the root of the weapon heirarchy. The rigidbodies take into account all children colliders. I don't remember exactly how child rigidbodies function so the one on the sword might not even be necessary if its a child of the character.

The C++ equivalent for Linux is C++

>What's the C++ equivalent for Linux?
What did he mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=cRz1GZjhvB8
or
youtube.com/watch?v=CRyLJej2sRs

Cave Story was programmed in C++ and was made to have very low system requirements because Pixel designed it to be reminiscent of older games (that is, games that were already old ten years ago).

>his engine's code isn't entirely generated by the compiler

C++ is owned by Visual Studio/Microsoft or whatever? Sorry I'm not a programmer, but I want to be one so I need to choose the right one first. I want learn a language that will give my game the best performance across as many systems/PCs/consoles as possible to make porting easier.