/civ4xg/ - Stellaris, Civilization & 4X Strategy General

Midsommar and Brexit edition
Also try to at least bump if it's a slow day and they thread is getting archived.

>Stellaris OP:
pastebin.com/qsTFCyvh

>Stellaris Mod Archive
mega.nz/#F!hpBCSbCC!vZNs1Qhip_UJQPSSdoZjUg

>What is stellaris?
A 4x game developed by paradox development studios.

>Dev Diary about upcoming Asimov patch
forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-dev-diary-37-asimov-patch-part-2.950536/

>Unofficial Stellaris Steam Group
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgstellaris

>Where is the white only mods/patch
Ask in the thread.

>/civ4xg/ OP:
pastebin.com/P5XCTQx9

>More info on Civ VI:
pcgamer.com/civilization-6-everything-you-need-to-know/
ign.com/articles/2016/05/11/three-ways-sid-meiers-civilization-6-radically-reinvents-itself-city-building-science-and-diplomacy
gamespot.com/articles/civilization-6-revealed-brings-major-changes/1100-6439691/
well-of-souls.com/civ/civ6_overview.html

Last Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

stellariswiki.com/Fallen_empire
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Where is the white only mods/patch

Stellaris is okay.

Distant Worlds is better, though.

>stellaris has a fully functioning wiki
>Distant Worlds just has a wikia with some mods

STOP DYING

REEEEEEEEEEEE

What the hell do I do about Montezuma raping all my neighbors? I'm doing the OCC as Poland and I think the only reason he hasn't invaded me is that I have the second-strongest army. Everybody is afraid of him and no one wants to join me in ripping him a new asshole.

>wake up
>thread is ded
Every fucking day

The more I look at CiVI screens and vids the more I like the unexplored map look over the visible area look. Hopefully someone will make a mod that makes the game use unexplored style only.

I liked Shogun 2's style, where the unexplored map is a stylized drawing.

But Shogun 2 hasn't got a random map.

True.

>I like the unexplored map look over the visible area look
Could you post a picture?

I... I... What is happening here.

Last time I asked, the general just died. Let's try again.
Recommend me some good Civ5 mods?

The more important question is, would you be capable of winning the war?

But this also reminds me, I need to finish up my slaver playthrough before Asimov hits down and brings in slave revolts. While I'm space commies, there's still quite a few pops that haven't switched to my way of thinking and will probably end up in the rebels faction.

Or maybe purges are the answer. But I'm not really wanting to react ingame just to changes brought by a patch.

>Would I be capable of winning a war against myself
Is that a philosophical question?

What's the best Civ5 scenario? I've heard a lot of good things about the Scramble for Africa one

Well I wanted something little bit different so I put in the Anno Domini mod. I'm only into my first game with it though, so while I can say it looks interesting, I can't yet say if it is good.

I'm assuming your war would be against every member, and I can't see from the screenshot if there's any that could stomp over you with sheer size alone.

I am being asked to join in a war against myself. The dabulan union asks me, the Netraxi administration, if I want to go to war with the Netraxi Administration. How is there any winning that. How is there a losing that, in a certain sense.

I don't play this game, are you being asked for permission or invited to join?

But isn't that an alliance vote? So if you vote yes, and the war starts, can you handle going against the alliance? (I didn't look at the year, so of course there aren't any big blobs yet that would be an immediate threat though.)

For giggles answer yes anyway and demand all your planets, and see if your own fleets are hostile against each other.

>For giggles answer yes anyway and demand all your planets, and see if your own fleets are hostile against each other.
Wouldn't really be all that surprising. Paradicks coding is so bad you can catch yourself plotting to assassinate yourself in CK2.

I didn't manage this, but I once ratted my vassal to himself (He was disloyal so I spied on him, but he rebelled but I kept spying).

He's being asked by his alliance if he wants to declare war on himself with the goal of humiliating his own species.

Deserves it for trusting ayys in the first place.

I like the part where they want to liberate their own planet more.

Did you agree? It's something worth testing.

Is there anything more satisfying than conquering a planet and replacing its native population with robots?

Probably evicting rebellous synths and immigrating.

They need to add more government forms, at least for individualist and collectivist ethos.

If you go ether individualist or collectivist xenophobe/xenophile, you're completely fucked by your government choices which makes that combination unplayble

Really? Indirect democracy/Utopia seems to be decent enough.

I don't understand why collectivist and individualists don't have their own set of government forms. I can see why xenophile and xenophobe doesn't.

I guess I'm just salty because I really like individualist

Collectivist axis already defines columns available.
In Stellaris - Individualism means government exists for your sake hence they lock themselves into democracies. Collectivists think they exist for the sake of the government, so they lock themselves into Autocracies. Oligarchy exists for both as devolved/normalized form.

I suppose there could be superdemocracy and ubertotalitarism, but I can't imagine what it could be.

>allow all non-retarded and non-repugnant races to migrate to my planets
>want to make them smarter
>modify one of my non-founder pops
>we do not have access
>points me to system controlled by empire that will never ally with me
>strike_craft_revving_intensifies.ogg
I went to war, giving my allies the joocyer parts of the target empire, just so I can get that planet because game is bugged.

This is why you culturally enrich yourself through conquest.

Which is the best looking ship type and why is it Arthropoid?

>conquer planet
>genemod natives to be charismatic conformists
>resettle natives across empire to work in the xenobrothels
>never ever let them go back home

Yes. Pissing off two stagnant ascendancies at the same time because you populated an important tomb world with synthetics and then winning

at what point the they become "pissed off " and send their doom fleets ? one of the FE near my empire has a -75 relationship with me but hasn't done shit about it

they also have 5 colonies split in two solar systems ( 3 in 1 and 2 in the other) i'm seriously considering invading them

stellariswiki.com/Fallen_empire
Below -75

>Want to play as a Federation Builder
>Forced to play as a Democratic Crusaders because the galaxy is full of assholes

Every time.

I find that everyone around me always is the opposite of what I play as and hate me for it
If I go militaristic xenophobic dictatorship, everyone is all about democracy but if I try to be all about trade and not violence, religious fanatics run me over before I even get started

>when you purifiy a fanatical purifier
>when he talks shit while you and your buttbuddies methodically erase his empire from the galaxy

not to mention that most pre-sentient species and pre-ftl civs will grow out to be the opposite of what your empire is

Pre sentients start blank and you get to force pick a few ethics for them.

Lads be real with me, is Civ series actually as casual as /gsg/ says?

I love games based on history but if it will be a walk in the park for me I don't really wanna buy the games

Is it actually made that so you spawn next to people who hate you? That seems to happen to me literally every time

This is what unexplored fog looks like

It's casual but it's still fun

is there an auto survey mod yet? Send science ships to automatically survey planets?

not that I know of , just hold tab or whatever key it is on your keyboard and queue survey commands one after the other

No, but you can order it survey entire systems.

oh shit i didn't know there was a queue

Shift to queue actions is like basics of literally every strategy game

How can you not know about that

I know, there was a time where I built over 10 construction/ science ships and moved them all over the map, each one doing one order at the time

then I discovered the queue and felt really stupid

So, yesterday it seemed like everyone was saying Asimov is a terrible patch. Are there any specific things that make it a bad patch? Because expanding the diplomacy stuff, being able to vote other empires out of a federation, and having weapon ranges extended so that ships don't have to reach ramming range before firing all sound like good things.

They somehow managed to make sectors even more retarded

I'm actually impressed by their ability to fuck things up

why ? do they not upgrade/ build new buildings now ? or are you complaining about the auto feature of building military stations on sectors that don't need them

How feasible is it to get a big federation without being xenophile?

Is it just impossible to ally anyone other than federation builders?

Nah. The big way xenophile helps is the extra embassies.

But they removed embassies

Play the beta and you'll see.
Expanded diplomacy is a clusterfuck. AI can't handle leaving deals in place, constantly cancels and re-ups deals. Extended ranges is a brute force method to fix a problem and it lacks the intricacy and elegance that beautiful battles provides. This is apparent when you see how the ships behave, especially with bombardment computers. Beautiful battles will still be necessary to make things presentable.
Finally the haphazard way they're changing gov types and ethics seems like they're picking ideas out of a hat. This is the big sticking point, because they can fix the other problems in beta, but these changes are likely going through.

>playing 1.2

>playing Stellaris

The graphics look pretty alright the more I see screenies. It all comes down to the AI really.

>have a fuckton of deals with a fuckton of other empires
>they expire
>have to manually keep track of what deals I had with whom
>have to manually renegotiate

>can't keep Stellaris from updating

Empires of the Smoky Skies is great, especially if you love Civ but you've grown a little bored with the idea of playing as historical civilizations. Plus it has steam tanks and zeppelins, which is a plus.

hello, I'm thinking of getting stellaris. is it shit?

It's a solid 7/10 at the moment. It'll be great in an expansion or two

It's pretty meh so far. Fine ideas, limited applications.

Civ5 with CBP is the best modern 4x available

y/n

Nyes, but preferably with even more mods than that

>is it shit?
Yes
Do not listen to this man his name is Johan

Reminder that Distant Worlds is 50% off, even more direct from Matrix Games and will probably go up to 66-75% before the sale is out.

I hate the AI. I'm not saying it's easy, but I hate interacting with it. It's so utterly 100% formulaic and not fun. That makes the game more mechanical and thus strategic, sure, but it ruins the fun and diversity so incredibly much.
Luxury resource? Great, you can always and always trade that for exactly X amount of GPT.
FUCK THAT SHIT.

Civ VI looks better than expected in the walk through. I hope someone makes a mod ASAP to add more models per units and remove the shitty effects.

any good mods out for the beta?

I'm considering buying Endless Space from the Steam summer sale. Is it worth it?

Its a bretty gud game.
The card based combat is a little meh. I actually prefer the complete hands off approach theyre going for in ES2

If you liked Endless Legend you'll like the continuity between the two games
For its sale price right now it's great

I grew accustomed to the card based combat towards the later parts of my games. Once fleets get large and numerous enough I find myself auto resolving engagements a lot. I liked being able to weigh the outcome of battles.
Plus, I can only sit through the same manual battle so many times.

>Auriga is just a single planet in the Endless Space universe.
I love it. All the crazy magical shit that's just crazy high-tech experiments done by an ancient star faring race. Most of the races are just escaped experiments.

Now give me a space empire game where each planet has its own Endless Legends type surface gameplay.

>Now give me a space empire game where each planet has its own Endless Legends type surface gameplay.

That would be fucking nuts. Imagine invading a planet inhabited by primitives, setting up research posts, dealing with different resources, fauna and flora on each one.

So I want to play Stellaris and have never really played any games in this genre. Started it up and it's all pretty overwhelming to say the least. What's the best way to learn how to play effectively?

If I'm playing Stellaris with mods will my friend need the same mods to play with me?

Just play. Stellaris is babby tier compared to distant worlds or even civ 5.

This is what I was expecting from stellaris when they said we could uplift and enlighten primatives.

post yfw you realize the mid game is never actually going to be fixed and every patch and DLC is going to be an untested haphazard piece of trash that only unbalances things more

>tfw all they need to do to make the midgame entertaining is to make pirates an actual faction and a threat, and add more events based around empire management and local planetary crisies based around primitive observation and scientific experiments gone wrong.

>Observing atomic age civ
>Get a warning that they're about to blow themselves up in nuclear fire
>Depending on policies can either let them, intervene peacefully to stop them, or destroy their weapons and invade them since they clearly demonstrated they can't handle being independent.

I never expect Paradox stuff to be that detailed,especially combat.
their combat systems are always just numbers and buffs with no player controlled maneuvering during the battle.

Right now if you've got 2x Incense to trade with Alexander the Great or Washington (whom both have 2x Wine) the only thing that might impact your choice is if whether or not you plan to go to war with them. What if Alexander's Wine was of a higher quality than Washington's?

What things should affect the quality? Perhaps developing the tile more (Vineyard, Winery, ????)? How does quality affect the game? Give more happiness? Produce more gold?

You'd have all these different players going into stuff that other's in the match might not be (unlike wonders currently in Civ5)

thoughts?

I could see quality being an improvement to a resource tile. Allows for a civ to become 'famous' for something.
>Here's a bottle of infamous Incan wine
I don't think resource quality should be randomized. The random tile distribution works for this.

So is it worth trying out the 1.2 beta patch or should i just stay with 1.1 happiness.

Is it just me or does Civ 5 become dreadfully tiring around the Renaissance/Industrial eras?
If you're doing anything but Domination it seems like you don't have much input at that stage of the game, where your empire runs itself, barbarians are scarce or nonexistent, and political relations are mostly stable.

>humiliate yourself
sounds lewd

>casts resurrection