XCOM General - /xcg/

Wanted Edition

Previous Mission: News:

1)
XCOM 2 officially coming to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on September 6th.
>twitter.com/XCOM/status/740181548419272705

2)
Julian Gollop is working on his new game Phoenix Point. It's a turn-based tactical game with strategy elements, destructible terrain, geoscape and character progression much akin to XCOM. Lobstermen are confirmed.
>twitter.com/Phoenix_Point
>phoenixpoint.info/
>pcgamer.com/julian-gollop-announces-new-game-phoenix-point/

3)
Long War Studios are working on more mods for XCOM2. The first in a planned series of five is live on Workshop + Nexus now, and is called Long War Toolbox.
>xcom.com/news/en-long-war-studios-creating-more-xcom-2-mods
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=674832831
Also cosmetic mod author Capnbubs - maker of the most endorsed mod on the workshop - has been signed onto the LWS team to model stuff.

4)
Alien Rulers has been released alongside a large patch
> xcom.com/news/en-dangerous-ruler-aliens-await-in-xcom-2s-alien-hunters-dlc

5) user dug up some Shen's Last Gift SDK assets
>imgur.com/a/Z5aWQ

The /xcg/ Mandatory Read:
>pastebin.com/k9pT8zx4

Piratez mod for OpenXCom: openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3626.0.html

Assorted improvements (Skip intros, alleviate stuttering, multi monitor support, and resolutions past 1080p)
>steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=616682629

XCOM2 NEW AND IMPROVED MODLIST, updated regularly:
>pastebin.com/pTMatP5Z

NEW MEGA MOD LIBRARY - Contains all 180 mods from the new modlist:
>mega.nz/#F!HlgWjCqR!STJ0c0kW8Fs6jKynqKyerw

/xcg/'s Long War Library (New LW players read this shit or you will be ignored):
>pastebin.com/YmaXBKpN

Image Library of /xcg/:
>imgur.com/a/S1qfx

Music to Run the Gaunlet:
>youtube.com/watch?v=oPwk_1g-Ehg

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qTCw8GQNEj4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pistols are useful

FUCK AYYS!

VIGILO CONFIDO

ded on arrival

ur ded on arrival

>people ask if they should get back into X2
>Consensus is to wait till Shen's final gift
>Tell everyone to wait
>/xcg/ slowly bleeds
The price of honesty

probably

Theres nothing to really talk about either

WHY

We can talk about Battlefield 1

Its shaping up to be a fantatstic WWII shooter.

What about Xenonauts?

Indeed

Looks like a mediocre WW2 reskin of BF4

I heard it was incredibly boring.
I was especially pissed that vehicle crews could not gain levels.

I like the guns even if they're prototypical

But it's not even a world war 2.

I/I EW user from a thread or two ago again, still going good but i'm down to 8 remaining soldiers, it's july, about to raid the alien base once everyone gets plasma. Panic's low, EXALT continues to be fucking dicks (how often are you supposed to scan to keep cells from doing shit anyway?), and everything seems to be rolling smoothly. Cranking out firestorms with plasma cannons. Haven't got a foundry yet, would that be a good 2 or 3 day research to get? Should I focus more on armor? Are MECs worth anything? especially lategame?

Its not remotely WW1 either, its a ww2 reskin of BF4 gameplay wise

Sure. Strangely enough that is the only photo in my xenonauts folder. Why do I even have a folder.

It just really pisses me off that people won't accept that its not a WWI game. At least the multiplayer. You bring it up and everyone goes, "LUL, ITS a BATTELFIELD GAME ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO be realistic dummy, GO PLAY A MILSIM."
Everytime, without fail.

If you watch the gameplay, its effectively a WWII game.

MECS are very good, pick up at least one for the EMP burst vs. sectopods. Definitely get your foundry, has very good upgrades for your troops. Scan for EXALT like 7 days after a covert OP mission, I'm 99% certain about that.

Its not like they couldn't have done something interesting with the setting and stayed fairly casual but they've just made it WW2 in regards to gunplay and vehicles

>It just really pisses me off that people won't accept that its not a WWI game. At least the multiplayer. You bring it up and everyone goes, "LUL, ITS a BATTELFIELD GAME ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO be realistic dummy, GO PLAY A MILSIM."

Reddit had a pretty big fight on this the other day, the end result being some of them hope that there's a hardcore mode where everyone and their mother gets a bolt action.

Xenonauts was... alright, and the psionics bait in the tech tree was mildly amusing. But everything it does, FMP open xcom does better.

Speaking of FMP, railguns are love, railguns are life.

>Reddit had a pretty big fight on this the other day
Reddit fights are fun as the side deemed "wrong" is punished with downvotes so they can only post once an hour.

How should I build a MEC? What class should I chop/what rank?

>>a fantatstic WWII shooter.

OK I keep hearing this joke but why does it...

>>If you watch the gameplay, its effectively a WWII game.

... Really?

Have more Xenonauts].

Just watch it, everyone has SMGs, hipfires LMGs and the ww1 tanks move like modern tanks.

Its not a joke, its just a WW2 game with WW1 models.

While I'm glad some people are actually discussing it. I don't think its going to be a bad game, but usually I only pick up more then one title from a franchise If I think they bring something new to the table or I am really committed and love the game (Only really Dark Souls, XCOM, and the old Command and Conquers for me personally), and initially I had some hope BF1 would be something new, but those hopes have been dashed.

Also they were hyping the melee weapons as a big deal, which would make sense for some trench warfare and all the bolt actions, but now everyone is just going to be running around with "WWI" smgs and lmgs and they are going to be about as useful as swords in XCOM2.

Instead of bolt actions they have smgs and lmg galore with semi-auto rifle in the mix. Also tanks are there which makes no sense as they never had a big impact in WWI whatsoever. So the gunplay defaults to WWII and decidedly not WWI. Thanks, I do like the concept are they have.

>autoguns as far as the eye can see
>semi auto guns for the non automatic classes
>no trenches warfare
>isn't actually taking place on the main area of operation
>actually having some kind of titan gameplay from 2142
>FUCKING ARMORED VEHICLES.
I could go on. They should've gone for 2143, but again, i'm scared of what they would've done to it

They needed to appeal to redditors and people who decided they wanted a historical game so instead of an interesting 2143 we get reskinned bf4

>old Command and Conquers
My fucking feels. Fuck Tiberian Twilight. Mentioning the name triggers me.

It's got nice riot shield troopers.

xenonauts dump? xenonauts dump.

this is my phone background.

and this was my desktop background at work for a while.

>tanks
>little impact
My inner /k/ is urging you to read up on ww1 or educate me on why the victories they enabled were meaningless

Android or Vita versions of XCOM: which is better?

Figured out that no real bolt action and the like was part of it but did not expect the Tanks to be that apparent in the gameplay.

Battlefield: Civil War when?

looks like most of the rest i have is from henryponciano.deviantart.com who does do commissions, so please support the artist if you are so inclined.

please continue your battlefield conversation though, i hope it turns into a memestorm.

If you have a powerful enough phone, go Android. Otherwise try the Vita version.

It's possible I'm misinformed, but I did read through one (just one, quite a while ago too) WWI textbooks and from what I remember the tanks just weren't reliable enough to make a huge impact. They broke down to easily and just weren't that effective. Changes in assault tactics and tried and true artillery bombardment paired with improved communication so infantry could assault entrenched positions immediately afterwards are what led to successful offensive operations.

Tanks were a new concept at the end of the war that didn't have time to be refined and have a big impact.

That's my understanding, but I would be happy to read up and why my perception on this might be wrong. As far as I know, all they had going for them was shock value as troops hadn't seen anything like them before.

going out like a champ.

Not him but by the time they started using them effectively the war was won. Germany was starting to starve due to the blockade and the Central powers weren't doing that great while the Entente powers had figured out effective trench warfare tactics.

Tanks had effects on a few battles but little overall impact on the war.

Am i a psycho for laughing at this

I have no idea what's being conveyed in this screenshot, I'm gonna need some text.

>ayy on roof
>grenade launcher on the roof
>boom
>now ayy is ded
>ayy corpse is down
>operatives are save

no user, you're the good guys.

Well, they do say that Hitler become obsessed with tanks during his time in WWI so he kept on pushing for bigger and better tanks all the way during WWII instead of concentrating on a few designs so they did have an impact of sorts.

So its xenonauts an xcom clone?what features does it change/add/remove to/from the classic xcom formula?

Clones a bit harsh. Never played it, but I know it was an attempt by fans to make a faithful reboot of the original. I'm sure the person posting the screenshots can fill you in on actual details.

Good stuff.

Supposedly an 'updated' version of the original X-COM but it kind of loses steam towards the end.

>but it kind of loses steam towards the end.
You already said its a version of Xcom.

Flamethrower is fun

holy fuck the attrition mod is ridiculous

reinforcements come in even when you're concealed? jesus

Flamethrowers are pretty sweet. They have like 20 round auto fire right? Guarantees a dead ayyy every-time up close.

just going to list what i can remember in random order:
- it's set in 1979 so the flavor is a little different, more cold war esque
- civilians can have guns and that can lead to some getting out of your chair and cheering situations when you see they've killed the sectoid-equivalent alien menacing their barn
- airgame is different and a manually controlled minigame that quickly gets old in my opinion, though there is an autoresolve option
- there are shields, though they're only useful in the beginning
- you can open ufo doors when standing one tile to the left or right
- you can call airstrikes on crashed ufos instead of going to the battlescape if you can't be arsed to deal with "crash site 323"
- ufos will attack your equivalent of the skyranger, pic related

tbc...

Bump for interest

Oh sorry I wasn't paying attention. Umm, not too knowledgeable. I think Heavy's are fine to make MECs early because their aim per rank sucks, but other classes your should wait longer so they get their classes aim progression instead of the worse MEC aim per level.

Technically I think every class in vanilla is fine for a MEC.

>>that quickly gets old in my opinion

Maybe but the BGM is nice.

- there's a suppressive fire mechanic where a unit's bravery influenced whether they will lose TUs when shot at
- imo there's a slightly more HFY feel as (legit spoilers) the top tier weapon is human made, and humanity doesn't possess the capability for psionics, suggesting they don't need it to defeat the alien forces
- one of the alien races regens health after every round, which is really fucking annoying in early game as they're the second race you meet
- similarity to original x-com: stats are leveled up by using them, too many other things to list, it is a true spiritual successor
- similarity to the firaxis games: promotions are based on combat xp, predator armor lets you walk through walls, god i fucking hate this trope

overall, i played it when it came out and never finished it. something about it just didn't hold my interest as well as open x-com. i wish i could pin down why.

that's true. if you like airgame and are a plane nerd, you will love all the different faithful options that are included.

No,just 8 rounds like shown in the webm

youtube.com/watch?v=qTCw8GQNEj4
It really is

this comic is a joke about how there's too many aliens on the first mission for the size of the ship.

oh, forgot some things:
- start with 8 soldiers, max skyranger upgrade is 12
- there's a full cover system
- different weapons have different reaction fire penalties/bonuses, shotguns have a bonus whereas sniper rifles have a penalty
- you can end missions by securing the ufo (staying in it for 5 turns), meaning you don't have to hunt that last fucker in a closet

i'm sure i'll think of some other things too

>you can end missions by securing the ufo
That's nice. Perosnally I'm a fan of new XCOM's visual/audio wave cues since they apply to every mission. Really wish they would mod that into openxcom somehow.

Hm, i have a pair of snipers that are doing god's work (one snapshot double tap, the other squadsight In the Zone), maybe i'll chop the double tapper

Which one has disabling shot? You'll regret losing them.

i can take a crack at it in a bit, currently hooked on piratez but i definitely want that feature too.

forgot to mention, xenonauts is quite moddable, and there's a community mod pack that is open x-com status (i wouldn't recommend playing the game without the mod, in other words).

Oh that's cool, I was thinking of picking it up to experience it, also a bit excited about xenonauts2

>i can take a crack at it in a bit, currently hooked on piratez but i definitely want that feature too.
That would be totally awesome. Searching the last ayy with Time units is horrendous. I hate losing people, but safe movement usually goes out the door when I just want the mission to be over.

>OpenXcom
>Very large ufo landed at end of first month
Intercept it or let it be a terror mission?

>Very large ufo
Those don't spawn terror missions. Its just a landed ufo, assault it at your own peril.

Neither, they're all training roulette

Oh ok, then go for it.

i would certainly recommend it for 10 bucks. consulting steamdb, that's the lowest it's been.

two possible implementations of the sound indicator that i can see:
1) firaxis style, you get a popup of what direction the nearest(?) alien is in after 2-3 (configurable) turns without alien contact

2) after possibly every enemy turn, display a visual cue of any aliens that just moved and are within the sound detection radius of a soldier. i guess i would center the camera on the soldier that can best hear the unit, display the cue, then move to the next soldier, etc.

in either option, i think cues should be able to be toggled on or off the screen with a hotkey. i wasn't too fond of how the alien or meld cues would disappear in the firaxis games given how often they seized your camera, sometimes you didn't get it back in time to get a good look at the direction they were pointing.

will try #1 first as it seems simpler to implement.

probably would recommend. remember that aliens can shoot down at you through the grav lifts.

Yeah number 1 sounds best. A toggle would be fantastic too.

I was just looking at Xeno on steam so I'm gonna pick it up.

So while we're discussing xcom like games, who here's played the afterblanks? Afterlight was fucking amazing imo, the whole feel of seeing mars terraformed and the gradually encroaching beastmen was pretty great

>tfw the first alchemists show up
That was the first time in 10 years I experienced fear like og xcom chrysallids. Those grenades are fucking brutal before you get decent armour.

I liked Aftershock more than I liked Aftermath and Afterlight.

>alchemists
>bad

You ain't seen shit until the Matriarchs show up

Matriarchs are wimps, they're fast and hit hard but turn up well into the late game where you have good gear and well trained men and focus fire can rapidly deal with them, alchemists first show up when you're barely into armoured suits and can chain knockdown your entire squad from out of LoS while puncturing all their suits

Ferret is best girl

I had more trouble with matriarchs OHKO'ing my lads while alchemists i usually snipe to death

Then I realized beastmen were weak to lasers and was wondering why half my roster was dead when they had miniguns and shit

AH SHIT SON!

kek, I love the tangents we go off on due to the high /k/ommando concentration in this general

CUTE

i like dis.

playing EU on hardest for the first time.
So basically it's a race to get 9 satellites up before countries leave?

>Prioritize missions on countries with the highest panic
>Put satelites right before the end of month summary
>Fill own continent of satelites first
>Try to put up 1 satelite per month

Its a race to not get all your soldiers get crit killed through high cover. But yeah that too.

exactly

Sounds like a plan
Don't we have F-35 shitposting, too?
it's shaping up to be fucking awesome

>tfw doing terror mission with multi launcher and proximity grenades

Also at what point do I know that my game is fucked?
lost 5 countries on 3rd month, didn't research interceptors enough to shoot down ufos etc?

If I sold my bonaventura in piratez, I can't make a new one?

Missing the tiny drill for it.

If you have 4 or more countries about to leave the council you should just stop now

F-35 is shiiiiiiiiiiit. You know they are considering renewing the F-22 program because of how bad it its.

Game's over when the game over screen comes up or your entire A-Team wipes.

good times

>sold my bonventura
>my bonaventura
>bonaventura
>sold it
>sold
>sold bonaventura
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU

We had some plane shitposting a week or two back and some user shitposted about how the f-35 was his favourite modern aircraft.

For the record the SU35 is best girl

Those anons are being dumb. You want to satellite rush. Go for engineers at every opportunity, building sats and sat uplinks and interceptors for satellited areas. You want as many sats as fast as possible. This gives you shitloads of income, scientists, and engineers, getting your endgame snowball rolling faster. While you satellite rush, rush lasers for everyone, ignoring everything else. This ensures your firepower is adequate for any situation. After that, get your interceptors upgraded, then armor. You should be pretty set after that.

pff
subpar

That was me, but I really was kidding.

>Those anons are being dumb.
I'm pretty sure you just said what everyone else said in more detail.