/domg/ - Dominions General

DOMINIONS IS DEAD, LONG LIVE DOMINIONS edition

Previous Pantokrator Dominions is a fantasy turn-based strategy game created by two dudes. One of them is a teacher.

The game combines a simple presentation with an extremely wide array of strategic options, including over 2800 units, 800 spells and 300 magic items. Turns are resolved simultaneously, with players planning battles rather than directly controlling them.

It has simplistic graphics but is easily moddable and extremely deep.

Basically, it's an autist’s wet dream of a strategy game.

>Steamgroup
Join the steamgroup for multiplayer
steamcommunity.com/groups/vanheimageofvidya

>Group chatroom
steam://friends/joinchat/103582791434709795

>Our work-in-progress wiki
dom4.wikia.com/wiki/Dominions_4_Wiki

>Our pastebin
pastebin.com/dHdZ1cch

>Dom4 Manual
jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/manual_dom4.pdf

>Dom4 Inspector
This is a community resource that has every unit, spell, and item in the game in an accessible database.
larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/

>Play by email guide:
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=202096551

>Debug Mod:
For testing battle formations and spells
dom4archive.kermodebear.org/www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions/forum/thread/debug-mod.html

>Where do I get it?
It is available on Gamersgate and Steam. Desura is kill.

>THE BASICS
>Read the manual
>Read the wiki
>Read the pastebin
>Watch some LPs by Maerlande or NuclearMonkee
>Start playing multiplayer games

Submit completed games here:
docs.google.com/forms/d/1jHX_ZoJi6zIvDq6ANdp-W1Y89W5_fmShuDyHmAj5qC4/viewform

Results Here:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dlrvyEqLFYIaXRc49TheMmfdoP8jEh1m5rZJHJAzDWQ/edit?usp=sharing

Other urls found in this thread:

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2927&st=75&#last
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for Ermor

Sure, don't link it in chat, see if WE care.

It's cirno leaves after being proven wrong with stats hour, free drinks for all!

I've been masturbating too much, /domg/ and that's why i forgot to bump thread.

Please forgive me.

There are several D&D games running soon, -not- drinking heavily was never an option.

So are we just waiting for some of the existing games to be finished before we start up some new PBEMs, or have we hit a dead spot in the year?

SEVERAL DnD games? From wence came the others?

Also, it's the small things that I like:
Icarian Wings
Armor id [id]: 115 (Icarian Wings)
Protection, body [protbody]: 8
Defence [def]: -3
Encumbrance [enc]: 3
Material Composition: Flammable

Not that dude, but I have sat night D&D too. It's unrelated to Dominions tho

Oh right, thought there was more domg dnd.

I've been thinking about my own take on a memegame once my current games list gets some extra room.

How about 6 players on a 66 province map, 20 T1 thrones, 20 T2 thrones, 20 T3 thrones, Indy Difficulty: 9. Maybe even throw in a Starting Provinces: 2 or 3 to spice it up.

How terrible of an idea would this be? How about if I made a custom Oneage mod to get rid of the most powerful/popular nations so people had to go with other options?

YES to step on Snake

Also, need subs for Flatus Mictlan, Patala, and C'tis it seems. Come join me, Lambert, and whoever Xibalba is on our journey to the end of the world.

I, Lemuria, shall be you driver.

Awful

But all memegames are awful. If you run it, they will come.

Addendum: Run, don't join, this piece of shit game will soon die, and unless you want to spend 2+ hours per turn you'll run and never look back.

>How about 6 players on a 66 province map, 20 T1 thrones, 20 T2 thrones, 20 T3 thrones, Indy Difficulty: 9.

How about indy difficulty 0-2 instead? Thrones for everyone working as normal provinces.

That may actually be a better idea than the "aggressively fuck over the players" kinda thing I was thinking.

There are only 50 thrones max of which 5 are T3

So, we need to make MORE thrones first?

Along the border between earth and hell, may your kingdom prevail!

Remember the simpler days before Ragha and Xibalba when Illuminati and Iron Blizzard were the greatest threats to balance?

Illuminati were never the true threat. They were just believed to be.

Skelemans were always the Great Enemy

True, while the Illuminati rule above you, skeletons are always with you.

After playing CoE4 a bit I'm starting to want some of the mechanics from it in Dom4, like the different resource types and more mages that cast multiple spells at once
Both Dom4 and CoE4 could use a healthy dose of quality of life improvements in some areas though

Dominions 4 getting a way to have you spellcasters cast multiple spells in a turn (especially if it doesn't take up item slots), no matter how difficult, would radically transform the game because it would make supercasters (or one mage + supercombatant) viable.

>One of those attacks is a lance.
That's wrong. Eagle warriors just have a standard spear, not a light lance.

incorrect, check the dom4 inspector, they recently got a Bronze Lance. I thought you were right till I checked myself

Shit, that's actually a pretty important change. +4 damage on the first attack is a big deal with how numerous and expendable eagle warriors are. I'm surprised nobody mentioned it.

I suppose MA Mictlan needed a buff, but the issue was/is their mages not eagle warriors.

That's a change I can get behind given how mage pretenders have been left in the dust compared to other pretender choices.
Also, some way to diversify the endgame so that it isn't BLOODBLOODBLOOD

So what should you be aiming for in the end/late game? I feel like I shouldn't still be rolling with more magic and less armies but armies seem to still be the most effective way of demolishing enemy armies and PD.

*I should be

Important army buffs like army of lead/gold, fog warriors, antimagic, all that stuff
Access to as many schools of magic as possible, preferably blood in lategame since demons fuck over everything else and blood scales up better than gem based magic
Tarts with gift of health if you can get them, they're basically the best non blood summon
Having some mobile thugs for PD clearing or fast throne capping would also be ideal, but there's quite a lot of ways to do that easily

As many flying, stealthy thugs as the enemy has provinces and what this guys said Nexus + wishing for gems and SCs is also good

Okay great, this was kinda where I was headed anyways: making my armies stronger and making them out of stronger units. I was worried that there were some "kill the entire enemy army" spells that I was missing that would hard counter all my armies.

Post some memey thugs you can do at con 6.

Did you guys have any cool experiences with events besides "I got a few thousand gold, a fort, and a ring of wizardry at once."

Blood is OP. This is known.

So, in the event that a tiny neighbor and a neighbor even bigger than you both attack you, is there any reason to not just swiftly crush the smaller guy to fuel your war machine against the big guy?

I got the Hidden Dryad event and got the kitsune to question her and get a nature path boost.

Cute

Don't you mean ARMAGEDDON ARMAGEDDON ARMAGEDDON

Take it easy on the ol' yogurt blaster, user.

So, you all know summod 0.60 is in the works, if anyone is feeling like helping there's over 11k lines to check for errors before release. I can't say this is fun, but it's necessary.

As Abysia, I suddenly had a Anathemant Dragon become an Annointed in a Volcano when the Unfrozen that appeared from the Enchanted Glacier attacked. He managed to beat them back.

I mean, there are a fair few 'kill the enemy army spells' - RoS is the famous one, but WoD is often better. Then there's the massive AoE evos, wrathful skies, firestorm, etc. Your ideal army can field all the ones that you can protect yourself against and then also field some sort of protection against that of the bad guys

I would help, but I'd rather watch anime

I would be worried about the bigger guy using the time you spend doing that to advance extremely rapidly using thugs/SCs against your weakly defended provinces. If the smaller guy is smart he'll turtle up as soon as you focus on him and make pushing into his lands take as long as possible.

There's also a diplomatic perspective to consider. Wiping out a small nation looks a lot less friendly than valiantly defending against a larger one, even if the small nation started the fight.

Ideally, I think I'd want to try make the smaller player back out of the fight. Make the war hurt for him but don't actively try to conquer his provinces. Just raid and/or cast cancer rituals all over them, and make sure he knows that the pain can stop as soon as he stops supporting the bigger player. That should be a lot cheaper than trying to kill him, and less likely to cause diplomatic problems.

At the same time try to make an alliance against the bigger player. Even if you think you can take him solo, more allies is always helpful and will take some of the pressure off you. Odds are his neighbors will take a slice if you beat him anyway, so you may as well try to get them to do some of the work.

Obviously all this will depend on what you've actually got available, what your two enemy nations have, and the diplomatic state of the game, but I hope I've made the reasoning clear.

As a doctrine, I generally focus firepower on my more vulnerable enemies first. I've won two games using this philosophy of growing larger to break a stalemate

I'm not sure how that works for error checking user.

There's a great mod called Chocolate Thrones, it's in the OP pastebox

As soon as summod 060 is done and seems stable I'll be starting an all nation cross forum game using it.

Fresh off the Llama Bress

Which nations can have the Volla pretender? I've been trying lots of different pretenders and I find the increased gem income is really useful. I checked the inspector but it just says that 'various nations' can have the Volla.

Thank you Bogarus, you continue to martyr yourself so that we may live in harmony and contentment.

Put your cursor over the 'various nations' text,

TyByCtMYstWmLiHaC

this is my favorite meme

Thank you meme, you continue to martyr yourself so that we may live in harmony and contentment.

Dominions is by its nature a game of counters. The other thing you need to do is find counters to the counters. Thugs and SCs are the classic response to armywipes.

Thanks, I'd tried that, but it seems one just has to find the sweet spot for it to appear.

Play your turns

z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2927&st=75&#last

APOLOGIZE

Thank you skeletons, you continue to martyr yourself so that we may live in harmony and contentment.

wew

Only 1800. Pathetic, I sacrificed 8.4k of my ghosts to the glorious Lemurian Cause just last turn.

Counterfeit lemurian ghosts are trash.
Do not support knock off ghosts, if your ghosts don't look like this you are getting scammed.

I finally bought this game

thank you gaben

My ghosts don't have 20 prot. How do I apply for a refund?

Apocalypto did nothing wrong

do it domg

Why don't you make me~

I was interested in dominions 4 for a while now and bought it now cause of 50% off but all the AI games i did by now were pretty easy, played as Ulm Ermor and those atztec guys and it basically faceroll all the time, am i missing something or shoulkd i go for harder difficulties?

Join PBEMs and enjoy the assrape.

I want my turns and I want my battle reports and I want my memes. Stop having lives and D&D sessions.

The AI is terrible, and the general advice around here is that playing against it will actively make you worse at the game because of the bad habits it teaches you.

Difficulty level just gives it more resources and gold, it doesn't make it more intelligent.

Just join online games.

Where are you?

it might be pretty hard to start; you might be forced to manually set provinces as possible capital start or throne start, otherwise the game might start with not enough capital starting point due to them being occupied by thrones and it might end up crashing.

test it several times ins ingle player first.

le epic turn 3 castle.

sickass priest assasin mage hero on turn 5 which i accidentally suicide due to failed expansion script.

few hundred gold in early turn which istantly got turned into elephants and conquered tons of provinces.

>game started! first turn attached
>starting provinces has like 6 connection 2 of which are hyperlinks to other parts of the map

is this supposed to be crazy good or bad? i don't have really good expansion unfortunately.

>i don't have really good expansion
You do now
Do you need expansion advice?

The more resource-intensive your expansion/cap-only troops the better it'll be for you, but I can't think of a situation where a large capcircle is not good.

>Do you need expansion advice?

always, but i don't wish to reveal my identity so i'd pass.

unfortunately some stuff in my capcircle is gonna be interesting for other players to grab and i am not fast enough to capture them all, also one of the capcircle province is screaming " PUT A CASTLE ON ME".

>i am not fast enough to capture them all
It is extremely rare for someone to not accept another player taking everything in their cap circle unless they are planning on killing them very soon or share a cap circle with them (in which case they are also planning on killing them very soon).

Every nation can expand acceptably with national troops. Many nations get better expansion with some blesses over others or benefit more from an awake expander to help get rolling more quickly, but -every- nation can expand well with a good start, and what you're describing is a GREAT start.

Any open MPs or can anybody tell me where's the best place for a newbie like me to find some ?

>I'm not fast enough to capture them all
Unless it's a throne or really nasty province (which other players aren't going to be able to easily take either), that means you're doing expansion horribly wrong.

You can't take 6 provinces in a year with an amazing start to help you out?

Also this . You shouldn't assume your capcircle is inviolable, but most players will give you plenty of time to take it and will give it back if they accidentally move into it.

Holding onto another player's capcircle usually means you're soon going to be at war with them, because it's a very large risk for someone to let you keep it. UW-land borders are an exception, of course.

>also one of the capcircle province is screaming " PUT A CASTLE ON ME".
Not really a problem unless you have extremely resource-heavy cap-only units.

A fort adjacent to your capital reduces the resources your capital gets, but makes it much harder to safely siege.

You can't take 6 provinces in a year with an amazing start to help you out?

i can, although my armies need reinforcement often. but i also plan to reach chokepoints, get sweet farms , encircle provinces so i can take them later and having many provinces i have to get with high priority forces me to do some unhealthy choices.
i can totally see 2 provinces i absolutely need to put a fort on being so nicely positioned that i can't hope for them to be still free by turn 8. it's a bit awkward.

Try expanding as EA Kailasa or LA Mari

I've done Kailasa with an N9 monobless. It's honestly just gimped by the generals being StR, which summod fixes. In vanilla, I've had some success with expansion parties led using a yogi + an indy priest, but that requires setting up a temple within a turn of your cap and it's still hella awkward.

Also, I've never actually played LA Mari but don't you just do like scales MA TC and expand with an infantry line, and bows (well, crossbows in Mari's case) + an archer lure when appropriate?

I don't really think that's a good idea.

It sounds like you'll need to continually reinforce your expansion parties as they move towards the chokepoints, which means a lot of wasted turns just ferrying troops.

If you try to expand in a more circular pattern you can easily fold old expansion parties into new ones as needed, and quickly return any empty leaders back to the capital.

Of course, I've never liked going for chokepoints or trying to encircle territory. I feel it tends to bring a bit too much heat from other players when you block them from expansion, and there's a big risk that someone gets there first and screws up your expansion.

>EA Kailasa
I've tried it, it's not that awful. Falcion Yavana with a decent bless are very good against melee threats. Don't throw them at archers and you should have a decent time.

Now if only they weren't magic beings so I could lead them with indie commanders...

On the scales side, you have Bandar Warriors (which I haven't tried , but have been told they work great)

MA TC gets 9r pikes and 11r tower shields. Makes the frontline cost much fewer resources than the 20r pikes from LA Mari.

TC also gets composite bow troops (12r) which are better against most types of indies (in my opinion) than Mari's crossbow troops (10r).

I also think MA indies are generally easier than LA. Less heavy armor.

It's more the fact their starting army is garbage militia than that.

>I've tried it, it's not that awful. Falcion Yavana with a decent bless are very good against melee threats. Don't throw them at archers and you should have a decent time.
Yeah, that's what I did. I also typically had a few random crap units under the priest while the yogi led the sacreds. If no archers, the crap units sit in the back. If there are, they become an arrow screen / lure. Worked fine.

>MA TC gets 9r pikes and 11r tower shields. Makes the frontline cost much fewer resources than the 20r pikes from LA Mari.

>TC also gets composite bow troops (12r) which are better against most types of indies (in my opinion) than Mari's crossbow troops (10r).

>I also think MA indies are generally easier than LA. Less heavy armor.

Yeah, I can see how it would be worse and how they might really need a scales snake to help ensure that they get resources early. It just doesn't seem particularly complicated or tricky to expand with the way that Kailasa is (which, again, is actually pretty okay. It's just not at all intuitive to use a cheap mage + an indy priest).

>It just doesn't seem particularly complicated or tricky to expand with the way that Kailasa is
LA Marignon is tricky because their expansion is extremely bad.

Most nations can live with completely losing an expansion party or two stupidly and still get a decent expansion. (From my limited experience practicing with them) LA Marignon starts having trouble if you take significant losses at anytime during expansion, let alone actually losing a party.

To make up for it you need to know basically all the scripting tricks (arrow decoys, etc), need to know the details of indie provinces inside out (so you can make your troops get first hit in melee clashes) and need to know which provinces you can take with minimal losses.

By comparison Kailasa is dead easy. Once you know to avoid archers and use blessed Yanava it's about as complicated as other nations (even if it takes more gold and recruitment slots).

With LA Marignon you need to be getting the absolute most out of your troops in each fight and that means rescripting based on which province you'll move into next turn. Or you can take an earth snake, which most people do.

Any games to join?

I know of a few games, but most are using unusual mods/settings. Vegetable Warriors 5 (modnations game, might not start due to lack of players), ChaosHander (itemunits game), MonsterMashMadness (I can't remember). Might have missed some.

I could just host a standard game with only worthy heroes. There seems to be interest.

EA would be my preference, but if people want MA or LA that's cool too.

I'd be in but desu i have no idea what worthy heroes etc means, just got the game yesterday but ai is really no challenge at all