The Franks are void of all zeal and jealousy. One of them may be walking along with his wife...

>The Franks are void of all zeal and jealousy. One of them may be walking along with his wife. He meets another man who takes the wife by the hand and steps aside to converse with her while the husband is standing on one side waiting for his wife to conclude the conversation. If she lingers too long for him, he leaves her alone with the conversant and goes away.

>Here is an illustration which I myself witnessed:

>When I used to visit Nablus, I always took lodging with a man named Mu'izz, whose home was a lodging house for the Muslims. The house had windows which opened to the road, and there stood opposite to it on the other side of the road a house belonging to a Frank who sold wine for the merchants. He would take some wine in a bottle and go around announcing it by shouting, "So and so, the merchant, has just opened a cask full of this wine. He who wants to buy some of it will find it in such and such a place." The Frank's pay for the announcement made would be the wine in that bottle. One day this Frank went home and found a man with his wife in the same bed. He asked him, "What could have made you enter into my wife's room?" The man replied, "I was tired, so I went in to rest." "But how," asked he, "didst thou get into my bed?" The other replied, "I found a bed that was spread, so I slept in it." "But," said be, "my wife was sleeping together with you!" The other replied, "Well, the bed is hers. How could I therefore have prevented her from using her own bed?"
>"By the truth of my religion," said the husband, "if thou shouldst do it again, thou and I would have a quarrel." Such was for the Frank the entire expression of his disapproval and the limit of his jealousy. . . .

what did he mean by this?

Other urls found in this thread:

quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A36730.0001.001/1:55?rgn=div1;view=fulltext
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=630882395686BCC501F5D31556CFF14B
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the french are irreverent to a pathological fault

it's less a cuck thing and more a sheer apathy thing

northern italians are kinda the same way. ever get in an argument with one? prove them wrong all you like, they just shrug until you leave them alone.

I just find it interesting how such attitudes existed back then. Especially considering the Crusader period was a time when most Franks were depicted as ruthless overlording tyrants that oppressed the Muslims, yet socially it couldn't have been any more different:

>Another illustration: I entered the public bath in Sur [Tyre] and took my place in a secluded part. One of my servants thereupon said to me, "There is with us in the bath a woman." When I went out, I sat on one of the stone benches and behold! the woman who was in the bath had come out all dressed and was standing with her father just opposite me. But I could not be sure that she was a woman. So I said to one of my companions, "By Allah, see if this is a woman," by which I meant that he should ask about her. But he went, as I was looking at him, lifted the end of her robe and looked carefully at her. Thereupon her father turned toward me and said, "This is my daughter. Her mother is dead and she has nobody to wash her hair. So I took her in with me to the bath and washed her head." I replied, "Thou hast well done! This is something for which thou shalt be rewarded [by Allah]!"

cuck'ed

>But he went, as I was looking at him, lifted the end of her robe and looked carefully at her.
Uh....what?

He lifted up her dress to see if she had a penis or a vagina, and her Father just stood there watching while a stranger did this to her.

Honestly, have we the modern western people been just utterly fucking ruined by romanticism?
Jealousy and non-platonic love are just dumb af

>"This is my daughter. Her mother is dead and she has nobody to wash her hair. So I took her in with me to the bath and washed her head."

kinda sad t b h

>He asked him, "What could have made you enter into my wife's room?" The man replied, "I was tired, so I went in to rest." "But how," asked he, "didst thou get into my bed?" The other replied, "I found a bed that was spread, so I slept in it." "But," said be, "my wife was sleeping together with you!" The other replied, "Well, the bed is hers. How could I therefore have prevented her from using her own bed?"
>>"By the truth of my religion," said the husband, "if thou shouldst do it again, thou and I would have a quarrel."

Sounds like something Chaucer would've written

The views of "franks" and "saracens" on eahc other tended to be interesting.

Same for byzantines and franks.

Or Georgians and franks.

Is any of this really surprising considering all of the shit Muslims get away with in France in 2016?

My what 'still' stands

>"This is my daughter. Her mother is dead and she has nobody to wash her hair. So I took her in with me to the bath and washed her head." I replied, "Thou hast well done! This is something for which thou shalt be rewarded [by Allah]!"

anime when

Post more please. I love stories like this

Most of the other stories are kind of tame, still interesting though

(1/2)

>Among the Franks are those who have become acclimatized and have as- sociated long with the Muslims. These are much better than the recent comers from the Frankish lands. But they constitute the exception and cannot be treated as a rule.

>Here is an illustration. I dispatched one of my men to Antioch on business. There was in Antioch at that time al-Ra'is Theodoros Sophianos, to whom I was bound by mutual ties of amity. His influence in Antioch was supreme. One day he said to my man, "I am invited by a friend of mine who is a Frank. Thou shouldst come with me so that thou mayest see their fashions." My man related the story in the following words:

That the muslims were outraged at the slightly more free women of the 'franks' and then proceded to write exaggerations about it?

(2/2)

>I went along with him and we came to the home of a knight who belonged to the old category of knights who came with the early expeditions of the Franks. He had been by that time stricken off the register and exempted from service, and possessed in Antioch an estate on the income of which he lived. The knight presented an excellent table, with food extraordinarily clean and delicious. Seeing me abstaining from food, he said, "Eat, be of good cbeer! I never eat Frankish dishes, but I have Egyptian women cooks and never eat except their cooking. Besides, pork never enters my home." I ate, but guardedly, and after that we departed.

>As I was passing in the market place, a Frankish woman all of a sudden hung to my clothes and began to mutter words in their language, and I could not understand what she was saying. This made me immediately the center of a big crowd of Franks. I was convinced that death was at hand. But all of a sudden that same knight approached. On seeing me, he came and said to that woman, "What is the matter between you and this Muslim?" She replied, "This is he who has killed my brother Hurso." This Hurso was a knight in Afiimiyah who was killed by someone of the army of Hamah. The Christian knight shouted at her, saying, "This is a bourgeois (i.e., a merchant) who neither fights nor attends a fight." He also yelled at the people who had assembled, and they all dispersed. Then he took me by the hand and went away. Thus the effect of that meal was my deliverance from certain death.

>outraged

They seemed more amused 2bh, at least from Ibn Munqidh's perspective

>Then he took me by the hand and went away.

CUTE!

B R O F R A N K
R
O
F
R
A
N
K

May I complement this thread with Dutch descriptions of XVIII century China?

THe Chineses, according to Alvarez Semedo, spend most of their time in Feasting, with extraordinary Costs and Charges. On the meeting of Friends, and good success in any Business, they prepare a Feast; and some∣times also in Troubles and Adversities, in which they come to comfort each other; nay, at Entertainments, are the Consultations of the Chineses, advising with one another at Meals what they shall take in Hand.

This is the usual life of the Common People, and especially of Handicrafts∣men, which are divided into Companies, which they call Mane, because in eve∣ry Company are thirty Masters, (as many as there are days in a Month) which make a Feast every day by turns.

If they have not Conveniencies in their own Houses, they may hire publick Halls, in which are all manner of Necessaries, being built for that purpose; or if they will keep their Feasts in their own Houses, without any further trouble, then they only set down the number of the Persons, Guests, and Re∣tinue, and what Dishes they will please to order, which are punctually serv'd in, according to the Bill of Fare.

The Northern Chineses differ much in their Customs from the Southern, who are in general, more civiliz'd than the other.

The Southern Chineses, in their Feasts esteem of a Quelque-chose, or of Minc'd Meats and Hashes, more than great Joynts and standing Dishes, entertain∣ing more upon the score of good Society than Debauches; yet they will do their parts well at their Trencher, and as sufficiently at the turning off their Glasses: They are entertain'd with Wine before Dinner, of which they take and taste till they refuse; then they fall to their Rice, and neither speak nor Drink till pretty well satisfi'd.

The manner of the Northern Chineses is quite otherwise, for they are not Ce∣remonious nor Complemental, but delight in well-fill'd Tables, with great and full Dishes.

After Meals, they spend an hour in talking, which ended, they seat them∣selves again, at Tables fill'd with Potation-Dishes, and Salt-Meats, as Gam∣mons of Bacon, dry'd Tongues, and the like, which they do not without cause call Ushers, or Vehiculums, preparers of the way, that the Tope may the better go down; for they no sooner take a Relishing Bit, but a lusty Go∣down follows.

Page 365
They keep their Breakfasts at seven a Clock in the Morning, and their Din∣ners at five in the Afternoon, but drink no Wine at either: Only at Night, at a light Supper of relishing Meat, they give themselves full liberty and fresh scope of good Fellowship; therefore their Feasts are Nocturnal, spending the Day upon their serious, either Business, Exercise, or Studies.

In the Winter Nights they use Candles made of Oyl mix'd with Wax, but their Summer Lights are of three sorts of Wax, one of Bees, another of certain Snakes, which is very white, and the third comes from a Tree call'd Kieujeu, but that is not so good as our European, yet much better than our Tallow, and their Candles likewise exceed ours.

Persons of Quality make great Preparations for their Feasts, Erecting Ban∣queting Houses for that purpose, both in the Cities, and at their Countrey Houses, furnish'd with Pictures and other Rarities: And though the use of Hangings be very rare, yet if those that are invited to a Feast be Officers or Noblemen, they furnish their Houses with Tapestry, from the top to the bot∣tom: The number of Tables is a testimony of the greatness of their Enter∣tainment: They generally place no more than four Persons at a Table; but at very grand Meetings, every Guest hath a peculiar and sometimes two Ta∣bles, one to sit at, and the other to set away his empty Dishes.

The Tables are neither cover'd with Clothes nor Napkins, but Varnish'd with the Wax of the Gum call'd Cie: They use no Knives, for all their Meat, except Eggs, Fish, and the like, is brought before them ready Hash'd: Neither use they Forks nor Spoons, but two small Sticks two handfuls long, with which they very dexterously and neatly take up their Meat; nay, put a single Corn of Rice, either raw or boyl'd to their Mouth, without letting it fall. They never put Salt, Pepper, nor Vinegar or Verjuice amongst their Meat, but Mu∣stard and the like Ingredients, which they Compound with extraordinary Art, having several of them of a curious relish.

Their common Dishes are Flesh and Fish, boyl'd, or broyl'd on Grid-Irons, and fry'd in Pans, with variety of Sauces, not unpleasing to the Palate.

Their Pottages, of which they are great lovers, are never made without either Flesh or Fish.

The Emperor Che, who began his Reign before the Birth of our Saviour, Anno 1150. first us'd Sticks of Ivory to Eat with, and Ivory Dishes; but these Sticks are not always made of Ivory, but sometimes of Ebony, or some other such like Materials, and tipt only at the ends, with which they touch the Meat, with Silver or Gold; yet the Inhabitants of the Counties Iunningfu, in the Pro∣vince of Iunnan, a Rustick and Salvage People, use not the foremention'd Sticks, but put the Meat into their Mouths, sooping it down by whole handfuls.

The Chineses sit at their Tables, on high and artificial wrought Stools, and not cross-Legg'd like the Tartars.

Anciently they us'd neither Stools nor Tables, but sat on the Ground cross-Legg'd, after the same manner as most of the Asiatick and African People yet do, insomuch, that they have but one Character for a Table and a Carpet.

Tables were first brought in use among the Chineses, near the Raign of the Emperor Han, which ever since they have observ'd, and have them and their Stools very curious.

This is the full chronicle. "Atlas Chinensis"

quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A36730.0001.001/1:55?rgn=div1;view=fulltext

The descriptions start at page 365. Before that it is a very long and tedious relation of a failed dutch embassy.

Interesting to note chinese mealtime isn't much different today

>ywn have a bro-tier knight buddy to go party with and protect you in the streets from angry peasants

jdimsa

Jdimsa??

J ust
D ie
I n
M y
S leep
A lready

C'mon user

there was nothing perverted about it, he couldn't tell if it was a boy or a girl so we can assume she was homely looking and his motives were sound

Sorry, unfortunately I am not a suicidal wreck, I come here to have a laugh so that I can carry on living.

Being cucked has been a bad thing for millenia

Just read Chaucer or Herodotus

you fucking cuckold

>I just find it interesting how such attitudes existed back then
Oh man, you have to read some Medieval microhistories. It's mostly medieval gossip and slice-of-life stuff, it's great:

gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=630882395686BCC501F5D31556CFF14B

Cuckwise, it seems the villagers usually let the clergy (and nobility, I suppose) do whatever they wanted with their wives and daughters.

>implying I have gf

>ywn have a friend like that

From Chaucer, The Millers Tale

Middle English Original:

This carpenter hadde newe a wyf,
Which that he lovede moore than his lyf;
Of eighteteene yeer she was of age.
Jalous he was, and heeld hire narwe in cage,
For she was wylde and yong, and he was old,
And demed hymself, been lik a cokewold.
He knew nat Catoun, for his wit was rude,
That bad man sholde wedde his simylitude.
Men sholde wedden after hire estaat,
For youth and elde is often at debaat.
But sith that he was fallen in the snare,
Her moste endure, as oother folk, his care.

Modern English Translation:

This carpenter had recently married a wife
Whom he loved more than he loved his life;
And she had become eighteen years of age.
Jealous he was and held her close in cage.
For she was wild and young, and he was old,
And deemed himself as like to be cuckold.
He knew not Cato, for his lore was rude:
That vulgar man should wed similitude.
A man should wed according to estate,
For youth and age are often in debate.
But now, since he had fallen in the snare,
He must endure, like other folk, his care.

>the French
>France
"Frank" meant "European" to a Moor, much like "Moor" meant "anyone from South and East of the Mediterranean" to a Frank.

To be fair, most of the Europeans in contact with the Muslim world were french

>herodotus

Were talking ancient greeks here

Nope.

The cuckold story I had in mind involved Anatolians.

" At the time when the heretics dominated Montaillou, Guillemette 'Benete' and Alazais Rives were being deloused in the sun by their daughters Alazais Benet and Raymonde Rives. All four of them were on the roof of their houses. I was passing by and heard them talking. Guillemette 'Benet' was saying to Alazais, 'How can people manage to bear the pain when they are burning at the stake ?'
To which Alazais replied, 'Ignorant creature! God takes the pain upon himself, of course.' "

This explains a lot.

I'm sure ibn mehemz personally witnessed a man get cuckolded and wasn't just shitposting because they didn't wear towels and have honor rapes

xD

So basically if you're an old fuck marrying a 18 year old, expect to be cuckolded?

He's right, though. Such accounts, especially in the premodern era, tend to be extremely biased or even made up, and boil down to /int/ banter.

Typically the smoke inhalation killed the person at the stake before the fire even reached right?

So the ignorant people assumed God took the pain of being burnt which is why they're not screaming in the fire?

What's the link/ book called? Browser wont let me see it

Emmanuel Le Roy Ladure's "Montaillou", subtitled "Cathars and Catholics in a French Village, 1294-1324" in the English translation.

Some more choice quotes:
"In those days it pleased me, and it pleased the priest, that he should know me carnally, and be known by me ; and so I did not think I was sinning, and neither did he. But now, with him, it does not please me any more. And so now, if he knew me carnally, I should think it a sin!"

"One day I was going to the chateau of Montaillou, and by chance I met the priest; he made me sit down beside him, and said: 'What can I do, if you don't say a word in my favour to your niece Raymonde, and if you don't arrange for me to possess her? And afterwards, once I have possessed her, her husband will succeed in knowing her carnally.'
And I, went on Alazais Faure, told Pierre that I would do nothing in the matter: 'You arrange things for yourself with my niece, if she agrees,' I said to him. 'But aren't you already satisfied with having possessed two women in my family, myself and my sister Raymonde ? Do you need our niece as well! "

Remainder: Franks are shit tier

Can you fuck off with this list already? It's useless to try and rank civilizations and, useless still, expect it to codified in the Vietnamese water-puppet enthusiasts forum as some sort of "official" document untouchable by the members of the community, I have not and do not agree to this list at all.

#NotAllSaracens

>Venice
>Han Dynasty
>not god tier

>Ottomans
>Carthage
>not mid tier

Who the hell made this?

>Venice
>God tier

Reading the wiki page explains how Venice got crushed and saved by the English invasion of France by Henry VIII

Venetians are just kikes

It's more #NotAllFranks considering the Arab is defending the Frankish image

This was written by people who think you're a cuck if any other man has ever seen your wife's face.

>(nigger: the civilization)
What does that even mean?

arabic propaganda

Thanks for derailing this thread you cuck

Read that as ibn muhdiq desu

Or franks and other franks. Damn franks, they ruined France!

where the the Isabel of Castille, Elizabeth of England and Catherine of Russia of the Islamic world?
Why do westerners treat women better?

Rahidun and ottoman, just bedouin sandniggers acting as kings. They produced nothing.

WE WUZ KAYLEAFS N SHIT